HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers Power Play Woes

Old
12-03-2010, 02:37 PM
mtrible

vCash: 500
Flyers Power Play Woes

Hey guys, I was interested in seeing what some of you thought about the Flyers' problems on the power play. I wrote a piece for Inside Hockey with my two cents. Regardless, I'd like to hear some opinions on it. Thanks.

Read the post here----> http://insidehockey.com/?p=13364

mtrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 04:55 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

I think you summed things up well

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 05:32 PM
mtrible

Thanks

apparently Lavy switched Giroux and Carter in practice today, it's not what I envisioned, but it can't be a step in the wrong direction at this point

Old
12-03-2010, 05:54 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

We've always been a top performing PP, and traditionally a better 2nd half team if I recall correctly without looking up the exact records.

The PP will even itself out.

Right now we need to simplify things. We don't look urgent enough because everything we try gets turned away.

In reality, too many selfish plays are causing it. The scoring will come if you stop trying to force so much, which is really what we're doing. The PP has to come naturally.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 07:35 PM
lancer247

The Flyer's scoring and PP will go through droughts throughout a season because when they don't score pretty goals or have a sniper that is hot there isn't someone there to bang in garbage goals. While the Flyer's may have plenty of guys willing to go in front of the net but only Hartnell really excels at it.

Opponents have caught on that the Flyers were having great success for awhile because they were feeding the points and Pronger, Carle and Kimo could get the puck through to the net. Now, teams seem to be pressuring the points more.

Even at even strength they seem to be getting nice chances but can't finish and there is noone there to bang home a loose puck.

Zherdev has been playing nicely, Nodl is finally reaching his potential and I like having Carcillo on the team to stir things up but I wouldn't mind seeing one of them dealt for a forward with some size. I am not talking about a premier power forward but a decent player that can not be moved easliy from in front of the net. Someone like a Steckel, Clowe or Matt Martin off of the top of my head (I doubt the Caps would deal Steckel to the Flyers but just an example).

JVR for Richard Neal type deal?

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 07:48 PM
Start Leighton*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrible View Post
apparently Lavy switched Giroux and Carter in practice today, it's not what I envisioned, but it can't be a step in the wrong direction at this point
On the powerplay or at ES?

Start Leighton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 08:10 PM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

There's another thread about the Flyers' PP. This should be merged with that.

Murphy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 09:19 PM
mtrible

Quote:
Originally Posted by xchrisx159 View Post
On the powerplay or at ES?
on the PP

Old
12-03-2010, 09:48 PM
captainpaxil

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer247 View Post
The Flyer's scoring and PP will go through droughts throughout a season because when they don't score pretty goals or have a sniper that is hot there isn't someone there to bang in garbage goals. While the Flyer's may have plenty of guys willing to go in front of the net but only Hartnell really excels at it.

Opponents have caught on that the Flyers were having great success for awhile because they were feeding the points and Pronger, Carle and Kimo could get the puck through to the net. Now, teams seem to be pressuring the points more.

Even at even strength they seem to be getting nice chances but can't finish and there is noone there to bang home a loose puck.

Zherdev has been playing nicely, Nodl is finally reaching his potential and I like having Carcillo on the team to stir things up but I wouldn't mind seeing one of them dealt for a forward with some size. I am not talking about a premier power forward but a decent player that can not be moved easliy from in front of the net. Someone like a Steckel, Clowe or Matt Martin off of the top of my head (I doubt the Caps would deal Steckel to the Flyers but just an example).

JVR for Richard Neal type deal?
calgary could be looking to shake things up, zherdev for jokinen? he could fill the knuble role that has been absent (like our net presence) since he left.

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 09:53 PM
SolidSnakeUS

The word "woes" is an understatement . It's more like deplorable and horrific.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 12:26 AM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Would it be a bad idea to experiment with Carter at D on the pp? He has a heck of a shot but is weak passing. The only bad thing about doing that is having to take out either Carle or Mez from the pp. But then again that would let JVR or Zherdev play more on the pp. hmmmm its late

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 12:45 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan187 View Post
Would it be a bad idea to experiment with Carter at D on the pp? He has a heck of a shot but is weak passing. The only bad thing about doing that is having to take out either Carle or Mez from the pp. But then again that would let JVR or Zherdev play more on the pp. hmmmm its late
Yes.... as you want a slapper and passing skills on the point of the PP.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 12:46 AM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Yes.... as you want a slapper and passing skills on the point of the PP.
That is very true. Like I said. Its late Just was spit balling ideas

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote