HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Two against the Rags. What can we take away? Positives? Negatives?

Old
12-04-2010, 06:00 AM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

vCash: 500
Two against the Rags. What can we take away? Positives? Negatives?

Here's what I posted in the pre-game thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Ivan View Post
Its gonna be the saving grace to our season, or the death knell. And yes, I know that there are many games to go.

Its the Rags and hopefully the Isles will be feeding off of the energy of the rivalry. The die hard fans are going to be pulling for the Isles in a big way.

The Isles need to "get up" for these games.

Even if we split, and the Isles play balls-to-the-wall, give it your all hockey, it could give the team, the players, the push, the bounce they need.

If they come out flat and plop down big fat turds on the ice, since they are big rivarly games, and it could make the Rags jump up in the standings, and the Isles sink even further, I think the team will be DOA Sunday in Philly and pretty much for the rest of the seaon.
Negatives:
  • Well, we lost two, but we're used to that by now.
  • Line combos aren't changing.

Positives:
  • While his "rookieness" is obvious, Hamonic looks good.
  • We didn't lay down and die in either game. Either after the Rags scored, and/or there seems to be no more 3rd period meltdowns.

(When I decided to start this thread, I had a few more ideas in mind, but, now I can't remember them.)

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 07:45 AM
Darth Bangkok

Can we restart the momentum for picket lines outside the coliseum to pressure ****ing wang to sell?

Darth Bangkok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 07:53 AM
RealSturat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Ivan View Post

Positives:
  • While his "rookieness" is obvious, Hamonic looks good.
  • We didn't lay down and die in either game. Either after the Rags scored, and/or there seems to be no more 3rd period meltdowns.
I'll agree about Hamonic and I missed the game Friday. But I thought the team was absolutely lifeless last night. Granted, every time they showed signs of life and aggression the officials came up with a way to end it, not saying they lost because of officiating, but I could not believe the crap they were making up last night.

I don't think I have EVER seem them so lifeless against the Rangers. EVER. I feel bad for any of you that spend your hard earned money on this AHL team.

Someday the NHL will return to Long Island. I will be interested in watching that team. This one...not so much.

RealSturat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 09:26 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealSturat View Post
I'll agree about Hamonic and I missed the game Friday. But I thought the team was absolutely lifeless last night. Granted, every time they showed signs of life and aggression the officials came up with a way to end it, not saying they lost because of officiating, but I could not believe the crap they were making up last night.

I don't think I have EVER seem them so lifeless against the Rangers. EVER. I feel bad for any of you that spend your hard earned money on this AHL team.

Someday the NHL will return to Long Island. I will be interested in watching that team. This one...not so much.

For me,a huge Okposo fan,so much of the excitement and air went out of the season when he was lost for 3-4 months.

Add in DiPietro's struggles and I just find it tough to get into this season.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 09:46 AM
Macch

Its really odd to me that the Isles havent been shuffling lines more. Usually when a team is having trouble scoring, the coach will juggle the lines to see if he can create a spark. This team no, same old lines. I think its time to blow up the lines. This is what I would do...

Grabner - Schremp - Tavares
Comeau - Neilsen - Moulson
Martin - Konopka - Parenteau
Sim - Konopka/Neilsen - Gillies

Why the hell not at this point? This team is lifeless at the moment

Macch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 09:52 AM
macleod50

vCash: 250
The biggest negative, that most of us didn't give a **** that there was Islanders/Rangers home and home.

macleod50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 10:17 AM
scott99

I try to keep a bit positive. So from the two games, I take away a couple of observations:
Hamonic is NHL ready. You can already see the difference from game one to game three. Don't know if he'll stay with the big club once Jurcina and Mottau come back, but he certainly doesn't look out of place.

Roloson is the man, and DP isn't, period. Roloson should get 3 starts to every 1 for DP.

Eaton and Wisniewski played much better in game two.

Rangers, despite superior talent and ownership that cares more about winning than a new arena, aren't much better than the NHL worst Isles. If the Isles had Streit, Okposo, Jurcina and Mottau in the lineup, we probably win both games.

Joensuu showed surprising speed, not known for his speed, he showed he can get outside and around dmen.

I may be alone, but I like the way Grabner plays. I think he can be a high energy 25-30 goal scorer in this league. Though he has played well with Nielson, I think he would be perfect as the top line winger with Tavares and Moulson. They've been looking for that third guy to fit in with Tavares/Moulson, why not see if Grabner can be that guy. His speed can be a huge asset to that line.

I liked some of the things I saw in the home and home. Comebacks from several 2 goal deficits, hard physical play, etc. I think when this team can get healthier we will see some improvement. It can't get any worse.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 12:10 PM
TenYearsGone

Send a message via AIM to TenYearsGone
Quote:
1st off, don't be so sure about that. I don't like seeing some people around here think we'll just get a new team if the Isles move. LI may be a mass media market, but if this doesn't workout then why bother sticking another team here. And c'mon, I'd rather have this AHL product with our history than a new expansion scrub team.

TenYearsGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 12:38 PM
Darth Bangkok

I think he meant that right now we don't have the NHL on Long Island. We have the AHL. When (if) the team gets better, the NHL will be back.

Darth Bangkok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 12:49 PM
Isles Junkie
Brian Strait Sucks

MSG Plus 2 is FINALLY in HD

That is all I got for positives

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 01:07 PM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Absolutely nothing.

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 01:10 PM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Quote:
Originally Posted by macleod50 View Post
The biggest negative, that most of us didn't give a **** that there was Islanders/Rangers home and home.
Yup, its sad. I mean I watched both games and desperately wanted to win, but after the losses it didnt linger as long. It was weird. It felt no different than losing a "regular" game.

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 03:56 PM
enigmatic
Capuano is a stooge

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesFanatic View Post
Yup, its sad. I mean I watched both games and desperately wanted to win, but after the losses it didnt linger as long. It was weird. It felt no different than losing a "regular" game.
This.

enigmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 04:01 PM
xECK29x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
MSG Plus 2 is FINALLY in HD

That is all I got for positives
This and thank God!

xECK29x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 07:37 AM
RealSturat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Bangkok View Post
I think he meant that right now we don't have the NHL on Long Island. We have the AHL. When (if) the team gets better, the NHL will be back.
Bingo! Thanks Darth. I was on my phone and did not bother with the sarcasm icon. Here is it....

Maybe, just maybe, the reason we have an AHL team up here is because of the perfect storm of injuries this year. I don't understand why we lose so many man-games every year. But maybe they should start building enough NHL depth to handle it.

Maybe, just maybe, when top players are back the team will start to compete again and at least be a team worth watching down the stretch. But I am far past getting my hopes up anymore.

RealSturat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 08:57 AM
BringBackConnolly

Although it's not just the last two games with the Rangers but almost this whole season, we have NO system. I'm beyond sick of seeing our bump and watch strategy to get into the zone. We dump the puck in and literally with no pressure let the other team skate out with ease. We never dump the puck to a side where someone has speed going into the zone and could beat/meet the dman to the puck. (I'm not going to bring up that our forwards ,less a handful, have no speed to begin with that is a different topic all together).

Watch the forwards in our offensive zone in the next "game". You will see either all three surrounding the puck at once (much like 98% of house leagues and youth hockey teams do) or you will see the new craze of the team, the 2 foot pass. I'm not talking about cycling the puck I'm talking about a tape to tape pass (rare) to someone almost standing side by side. When was a kid playing travel I was told that this is totally useless bc one dman can easily cover two. This happens multiple times a game. Not to mention the horrendous passing in general where players are almost diving to receive a pass all game. Also maybe someone can tell the golden boy JT that his no look throw the puck in front of the net move doesn't work in the pro's, we lose control of the puck a few times a game with that gem of a play.

This has been said numerous times but we need MEN on this team. Fedotanko, Prust, Avery, Dubinsky and others all worked the boards as if no one was on them. The rangers cycled the puck as if they were the Russian Red Army team and we couldn't do anything about it. In the offensive zone we lose control of the puck if someone opens a window in the arena bc most of these guys are not at NHL strength or simply shouldn't be in the league.

I've played the game for many years and although I'm far from an expert these are just of the few fundamental things that I see are wrong with this team. If you can't enter the zone or gain control how can you even begin to score goals on a regular basis? If you finally enter the zone with control and make poor passes (whether its poor decisions or poor pass in general) you give the puck right back to the other team, once again limiting your chances to score. It sounds so elementary, and it is, but we have not done any of this in a long long time.

BringBackConnolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 11:17 AM
CaptDenisPotvin

Watching the second game, I realized that what is so very sad is Moulson, Konopka and Sim were the best forwards for us and Martinek was the best Dman IMO. KONOPKA AND SIM!

The reason for me is obvious...Those three forwards pay the price to make the play, everyone else to a man rather shy away from a hit and turn it over than take a hard hit to make a tape-to-tape pass. We are (or come off as) extremely soft as a team.

I haven't watched all the game as most of you have this year but is this EVERY game?

Please don't misunderstand, I AM NOT A SIM fan but I have to say it...he played better than 3/4 of the other forwards and that is UNACCEPTABLE. And I don't know how to fix that, how do you get guys to realize they have to pay the price to be successful? Especially a bunch of young guys that probably have been successful in other league without having to do that.

CaptDenisPotvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 11:33 AM
redbull
springtime hockey!

Quote:
Bingo! Thanks Darth. I was on my phone and did not bother with the sarcasm icon. Here is it....

Maybe, just maybe, the reason we have an AHL team up here is because of the perfect storm of injuries this year. I don't understand why we lose so many man-games every year. But maybe they should start building enough NHL depth to handle it.

Maybe, just maybe, when top players are back the team will start to compete again and at least be a team worth watching down the stretch. But I am far past getting my hopes up anymore.

I do believe the team will be better once Okposo and Bailey are back, obviously Streit but equally important are Mottau, MacDonald, Jurcina to limit important minutes to inferior players.

The mis-casting of players relative to their abilities is the reason why the Islanders suck.

On the injuries: I don't think it's a coincidence. Sure, there are freak injuries that happen to a lot of teams/players but the Islanders never have the puck. They are continually chasing players and trying to defend.

The players, especially the defense, really get worn down by opposing forwards.
They do have to block a lot of shots (MacDonald, Mottau injuries, Hillen last year all missed time, among others).
The forwards are slow and not strong along the boards, when they battle for pucks they are susceptible to shoulder and head injuries.
Several forwards avoid any contact whatsoever and while they may avoid injury, they tend to skate around and eat up minutes where NOTHING HAPPENS. Nothing on offense, nothing on defense.

They have a better plus-minus, yay!

Thanks for showing up.

We get on Tavares for his low +/-, Okposo last year....well, these are players that are trying to create offense where there is none. They are prone to mistakes, turnovers and putting themselves in positions to take big hits. Wears you down physically and mentally and leads to injuries.

Some players are so old and past their prime (Weight) that injuries are expected. Some teams plan for this and ensure they have enough depth.

Trent Hunter is hurt a lot, but he also hits a lot and tries to wear down opponents.

You'll notice Jeff Tambellini will never miss a game due to a shoulder injury though.

Maybe it's not such a coincidence.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 11:53 AM
Islanderfan17

The positive for me was that I discovered that I still care for the outcome of these games, regardless of the teams situation right now. I got banned from the Rangers board on here for saying I wouldn't care of Sean Avery died a horrible death the day after a game Call that harsh but I think the guy is a terrible, selfish, and disrespectful human being.

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote