HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

All Goalie Talk: "Good chance Roloson might return in 2011/12!" (DC)

Closed Thread

Old
12-04-2010, 09:48 AM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetangInTheSO View Post
Pens fan here.

I've watched a ton of Bolts games this year and man have they been fun to watch.

I'm usually very hesitant to blame a team's woes on a goalie, but man it can be frustrating watching the Bolts sometimes...there have been many nights this season when the Bolts are well-positioned to win a hockey game (i.e outshooting their opponents by a fair margin and putting up 3-4 goals on the scoreboard) yet they lose thanks to 2-3 softies.

IMO, the Bolts are one average-goaltender away from a pretty being a pretty serious threat (granted, the East boasts a few teams that are very deep top-to-bottom).

If Yzerman isn't at least poking around / sending out feelers regarding the availability of a few goaltenders, then he's not doing hsi job. Somehow I suspect Yzerman is doing his job.
We know dude, thats why we're usually laughing at people who keep blaming the defense. Goaltending has just been brutal to this point. Even league average goaltending could see us 2-3 wins better this year.

Thing is, I bet we could pry Roloson for a third or something and it wouldn't be a big deal. Or maybe a B+ prospect.

Old
12-04-2010, 10:17 AM
nhljohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
Wouldn't it really be Brad Richards into Vokoun?
Good point.

Old
12-04-2010, 10:19 AM
nhljohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsled Gainey View Post
I still stand by Roloson being the most available and cost effective.
No argument there.

Would I rather a tandem of Roloson and Ellis in the playoffs than Smith and Ellis? Uh, yes.

Old
12-04-2010, 10:22 AM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Roloson has been lights out on god awful teams, and still has it. I can say the same thing about Vokoun. Roloson has carried a team to the cup finals. Vokoun has ridiculous numbers post lockout. I'll take either one.

Old
12-04-2010, 10:26 AM
nhljohnson

Quote:
Roloson has been lights out on god awful teams, and still has it. I can say the same thing about Vokoun. Roloson has carried a team to the cup finals. Vokoun has ridiculous numbers post lockout. I'll take either one.
The more I think about it, I'd at least inquire about Vokoun but Roloson is probably the move I'd look to make.

Good call, BG.

Old
12-04-2010, 10:28 AM
TBLbrian

I'd even take a shot on a Cory Schneider, he is not as proven but he is in a much different situation than Mike Smith was. Schneider actually has won at every level and is ready to take an NHL role, unlike Mike Smith was and we wouldn't have to give up Brad Richards

Old
12-04-2010, 11:25 AM
LetangInTheSO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLbrifri View Post
I'd even take a shot on a Cory Schneider, he is not as proven but he is in a much different situation than Mike Smith was. Schneider actually has won at every level and is ready to take an NHL role, unlike Mike Smith was and we wouldn't have to give up Brad Richards
Even though the Canucks have Luongo, Gillis has repeatedly said that he is intent on holding onto Schneider. Given the market rate for unproven goalies, the Canucks probably couldn't reasonably ask the Bolts for too much for Schneider, so I don't really see this deal working. Even if the Bolts were to "pony up," I doubt they'd be willing to offer enough to incentivize the Canucks to part ways with Schneider.

Old
12-04-2010, 11:45 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhljohnson View Post
The more I think about it, I'd at least inquire about Vokoun but Roloson is probably the move I'd look to make.

Good call, BG.
While we could possibly get Roloson for next to nothing, given his age, it'll be dependent on what the Islanders want to do with the rest of this, yet again, wasted season.

At the very least, they'd need someone to fill the newly vacant goalie spot but they do have 27 year old Nathan Lawson in Bridgeport.

Because the draft this year is so poor, I can see them wanting a higher round draft pick than would be normal.

Old
12-04-2010, 12:30 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

I don't know how much they can realistically expect from a 40+ goaltender. Then again, i'm not sure what we can either. I figure he has 1-2 decent years ahead of him. Possibly more, but not sure.

Old
12-04-2010, 01:23 PM
nhljohnson

Quote:
I don't know how much they can realistically expect from a 40+ goaltender. Then again, i'm not sure what we can either. I figure he has 1-2 decent years ahead of him. Possibly more, but not sure.
If he's got another year in him, Roloson would be a nice bridge to the "dark" year.

Old
12-04-2010, 02:48 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Exactly, and would bridge us to Tokarski/Janus/Koschechkin or free agency.

Old
12-04-2010, 05:20 PM
LateNightOilerFan

Re: Roloson

I've watched every game Roli's played since he was traded to the Oilers in '06. It's becoming really hard to watch him stand on his head just about every night and rack up the losses because the Isles can't give him any goal support. Since he is playing so well and hardly giving up any soft or back-breaking goals it's not a 'lack of confidence in your goalie' issue. He has given the Isles a lot of quality starts that are just being wasted. The guy at 41 still has it, he's still capable of playing a starter's load of games and he is just so competitive and focussed. In 2009 he said he wanted to play 3-4 more years so long as he still felt good - well, he's not slowing down at all and he's very healthy so I think he still has 1-2 years left in him.

The Isles have given him 19 goals in support over 13 games - that's less than 1.5 goals per game. 2-10-1 is not indicative of his play, with the exception of 1 OTW vs TOR and 1 OTL vs SJS which he managed to steal on 3 total goals in support. If he received at least 2 goals in support per game, he would have 5 fewer losses. If he had at least 3 goals in support per game, he would have 8 fewer losses. Your team scores an average of 3 goals per game.

In 13 starts, he has allowed 1-2 goals against in 7 of them. 2.46 GAA .914sv% while facing an average of 29 SOG per 60 min. The Isles have allowed the 28th most goals against at 78. Roli has only allowed 32 or 41% of those goals while starting 54% of the games.

If Yzerman is saying the Lightning will be staying put with their goalies then it really is a shame. Your team reminds me of the 05/06 Oilers when all they needed was that final piece which was some consistency in net. Roli provided that then and based on his play over the past 3 seasons including his current level of play, I think he still can now. Playoff experience can only be a good thing, and if it gets compromised by inadequate goaltending then that's not really fair to the rest of the team.

Last season, it was reported that Snow turned down a 3rd round pick for Roli at the deadline. This made sense because Roli had another year left on his contract and DP's situation was still unknown. So Roli was more valuable to the team compared to a 3rd round pick. I think the situation is a bit different now because Roli is a pending UFA. The jury is still out on DiPietro but lately he is improving and obviously the Isles are going to stick with him. Given that playoff chances seem to be blown already for the Isles, Roli will likely sit even if he is outplaying DP because the Isles need to see what DP can handle. It's hard to say if Roli will re-sign with the Isles so a 3rd rounder could do it this year. Another possibility is that the Isles would trade for Smith given he is also pending UFA and they may need the salary to stay above the cap floor if they are sellers at the deadline.

I certainly hope that Snow does right by Roli and trades him. He has done everything that team has asked of him and more. If DP can get back to form, it's because Roli's play has allowed him to not feel rushed. That should be factored in as a return on investment for the Isles. I hope they don't get greedy and deny Roli another chance at the playoffs at this stage in his career. A playoff caliber team could really take advantage of Roli's strong play instead of wasting it.

Good luck folks!

Old
12-04-2010, 05:27 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Truth is, I hope we can prey on Snow/Wang and the love they have for DiPietro and the desire to go with him as the #1 given the contract and take Roloson from them. I mean, look at the teams hes been on as of late, these were teams that were picking with us, or better than us, and we haven't been picking out of the top ten... then you look at Rolos numbers and hes .910, .915... on absolutely terrible teams.

****, we've seen it a few nights, the old man has flat stolen goals from us. Every year its the same thing - "oh holy ****, he made that save and hes 39/40/41!"

The guy is legit and I don't think we're prepared to give up the assets to land Vokoun because with resigning him, Stamkos, and Hedman... its extremely possible, but I think Stevie Y wants to avoid getting into a situation where he only has six digits of cap space rather than seven.

Please make this happen, bossman.

Old
12-04-2010, 05:45 PM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 286
Would Philly's 2nd in 2012 for Roloson be fair for both teams? Maybe a 3rd and Mihalik or a 5th?

12-04-2010, 10:06 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

Mihalik + 5th would certainly be enough. If they really want, give them Smith too.

Old
12-04-2010, 10:47 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

I'm concerned about Roli being a full time starter because of age, I suppose we'd still let Ellis play once in a while though

Old
12-04-2010, 10:51 PM
nhljohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateNightOilerFan View Post
I've watched every game Roli's played since he was traded to the Oilers in '06. It's becoming really hard to watch him stand on his head just about every night and rack up the losses because the Isles can't give him any goal support. Since he is playing so well and hardly giving up any soft or back-breaking goals it's not a 'lack of confidence in your goalie' issue. He has given the Isles a lot of quality starts that are just being wasted. The guy at 41 still has it, he's still capable of playing a starter's load of games and he is just so competitive and focussed. In 2009 he said he wanted to play 3-4 more years so long as he still felt good - well, he's not slowing down at all and he's very healthy so I think he still has 1-2 years left in him.

The Isles have given him 19 goals in support over 13 games - that's less than 1.5 goals per game. 2-10-1 is not indicative of his play, with the exception of 1 OTW vs TOR and 1 OTL vs SJS which he managed to steal on 3 total goals in support. If he received at least 2 goals in support per game, he would have 5 fewer losses. If he had at least 3 goals in support per game, he would have 8 fewer losses. Your team scores an average of 3 goals per game.

In 13 starts, he has allowed 1-2 goals against in 7 of them. 2.46 GAA .914sv% while facing an average of 29 SOG per 60 min. The Isles have allowed the 28th most goals against at 78. Roli has only allowed 32 or 41% of those goals while starting 54% of the games.

If Yzerman is saying the Lightning will be staying put with their goalies then it really is a shame. Your team reminds me of the 05/06 Oilers when all they needed was that final piece which was some consistency in net. Roli provided that then and based on his play over the past 3 seasons including his current level of play, I think he still can now. Playoff experience can only be a good thing, and if it gets compromised by inadequate goaltending then that's not really fair to the rest of the team.

Last season, it was reported that Snow turned down a 3rd round pick for Roli at the deadline. This made sense because Roli had another year left on his contract and DP's situation was still unknown. So Roli was more valuable to the team compared to a 3rd round pick. I think the situation is a bit different now because Roli is a pending UFA. The jury is still out on DiPietro but lately he is improving and obviously the Isles are going to stick with him. Given that playoff chances seem to be blown already for the Isles, Roli will likely sit even if he is outplaying DP because the Isles need to see what DP can handle. It's hard to say if Roli will re-sign with the Isles so a 3rd rounder could do it this year. Another possibility is that the Isles would trade for Smith given he is also pending UFA and they may need the salary to stay above the cap floor if they are sellers at the deadline.

I certainly hope that Snow does right by Roli and trades him. He has done everything that team has asked of him and more. If DP can get back to form, it's because Roli's play has allowed him to not feel rushed. That should be factored in as a return on investment for the Isles. I hope they don't get greedy and deny Roli another chance at the playoffs at this stage in his career. A playoff caliber team could really take advantage of Roli's strong play instead of wasting it.

Good luck folks!
Great post. Thanks much.

Old
12-05-2010, 03:07 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateNightOilerFan View Post
Last season, it was reported that Snow turned down a 3rd round pick for Roli at the deadline.
It was this type of logic that makes me think that if Snow were aggro on getting the best value he could for Roli, he'd push for a 2nd rounder out of Tampa.

What would be the price for upgrading to Vokoun then?

SFY, make this happen: 6th round pick in 2016 and the rights to Anton But for Henrik Lundqvist.

Then turn Smith + future considerations into Erik Karlsson.

Last edited by Felonious Python: 12-05-2010 at 03:16 PM.
Old
12-05-2010, 03:15 PM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 286
Philly's 2nd round pick would be worth it IMO. Making the playoffs this year would mean more to this franchise than a late 2nd round pick in 2012.

Old
12-05-2010, 08:47 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
It was this type of logic that makes me think that if Snow were aggro on getting the best value he could for Roli, he'd push for a 2nd rounder out of Tampa.

What would be the price for upgrading to Vokoun then?

SFY, make this happen: 6th round pick in 2016 and the rights to Anton But for Henrik Lundqvist.

Then turn Smith + future considerations into Erik Karlsson.
The speculation is that Florida will only trade T-Vo for a scorer. I think it's gotta be true because they have no offensive pop but some good, young D and talent in the goaltending pipeline. So, would we give up Malone for Vokoun?

Old
12-05-2010, 09:06 PM
I Am Beat You

Smith, Quick/Mihalik, later pick.

Old
12-05-2010, 10:05 PM
vinnythe deuce

Ray Emery if he proves healthy could be a low risk, high reward. Not under contract and wouldn't have to pay him more than the minimum I would assume. Another option without losing any assets

Old
12-06-2010, 03:29 AM
LightningStrikes
SFY

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnythe deuce View Post
Ray Emery if he proves healthy could be a low risk, high reward. Not under contract and wouldn't have to pay him more than the minimum I would assume. Another option without losing any assets
This is from November: http://watch.tsn.ca/featured/clip376006#clip375632

Don't know tho if he will ever return to the NHL. Europe or even the AHL seem rather possible.

Last edited by LightningStrikes: 12-06-2010 at 03:35 AM.
Old
12-06-2010, 04:24 PM
LightningStrikes
SFY

vCash: 133
More recent report on Ray Emery: http://calgarysun.com/sports/hockey/.../16431781.html (found on the main board)

Old
12-06-2010, 05:36 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnythe deuce View Post
Nothing about Ray Emery is low risk.

I do hope Emery is NHL ready though. What would happen then is that a team would likely sign him (Atlanta for example) which would result in them having a surplus. Chris Mason in this instance. Even if we don't get Mason, the NHL goalie carousel starts.

The downside is that we'd have to then dump Smitty on someone else, or bury him.

Who needs depth D? We've got Quick, Mihalik, and Smaby to potentially offer up.

Closed Thread