HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Yannick Weber: Tearing Up AHL Early

Old
12-03-2010, 09:05 PM
Kriss E

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Actually, I believe timmins used to rave about how he was hard to beat one on one and was a similar style to chelios. I may be wrong, but that's what I remember him saying. Obviously, he doesn't have the offense so as you said now we call him a DD. In any case, just saying, he was always touted to be good defensively and 1 on 1.
Chelios was very good offensively through most of his career. He had great numbers until it started going down when he was 37.

Anyways, Weber should not be moved, not unless he gets us something as significant (or obviously better) in return. But with Hamrlik, Gill, Spacek all over 35, Markov going through his injuries and now becoming a big question mark, I really don't think it's the time to move our good defensive prospects.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 11:32 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post
Exactly why I never thought he can play regularly in this league.

He showed yesterday though that positioning and smart play can offset his lack of strength (one sequence actually had him separating the puck from Jason Arnott along the boards). Gorges had the similar deficiencies at first, let's see if Weber can find his niche.
If Weber can overcome his lack of strength and weak defensive zone play then it will be interesting to see what the Habs do with him as it's hard to think that they will have 3 off D with Markov, Subban and Weber in the top 6 next year. But with his shot he's going to produce offensive chances, one thing that could help him stick in the NHL besides his shot is his puck moving abilities. It's not that he's a great puck mover but he can move it and in the NHL it seems PMD's are more highly sought after so if he can produce offense, not be too bad in his own end, and move the puck well then I could see him landing a spot in the NHL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Anyways, Weber should not be moved, not unless he gets us something as significant (or obviously better) in return. But with Hamrlik, Gill, Spacek all over 35, Markov going through his injuries and now becoming a big question mark, I really don't think it's the time to move our good defensive prospects.
I wouldn't mind if PG put together a package of say our 1st, Pac and Weber, as hopefully that could land us something pretty big, although it would suck to lose our 1st in what should be a strong draft but you have to give to get and I don't think we have a whole lot to give (as I don't see them moving guys like Leblanc/Tinordi etc...)

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 12:55 PM
Locks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Absolutely agree. How many skilled offensive dmen were available on the UFA market last two years? One. Sergey Gonchar and he is 36 with all the risk of counting against the cup no matter what. The mobile, puck moving types like Hambius or Martin were scooped up in a harry but none of them is a bonna fide offensive D. While it would be good to get a skilled D like Kaberle this year, the price could be high. And going forward, Weber is a very good insurance policy against the uncertainty with Markov and it would be a mistake to include him in a deal for a rental. There is very few top end two way dmen like Markov, hence replacing him could take a skilled offensive dman playing on the bottom pairing (Weber) and a quality shutdown type like Volchencov or Scudery. There is quite a bit more defensive types available. And I think the concerns about Webers size are somewhat overblown. There has been a number of smalish offensive types who have done very well such as Rafalski, Boyle, Visnovsky, Timonen, Enstrom, Ian White, and our own Streit. Rafalski and Boyle were never drafted and Enstrom and Timonen were drafted in the 8th and 10th rounds, respectively. Their lack of size was likely the biggest reason.
I was impressed with Weber's positioning and reading the play and anticipation against the devils.

Locks is offline   Reply With Quote