HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Defensive effort gives Habs win

Old
12-04-2010, 04:05 PM
Rushin Joo

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Rushin Joo
Price's last 12 starts:

9-2-1, 955%, 1.41ga

Rushin Joo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 04:05 PM
sheed36

Just finished reading some of the Sharks GDT and some are actually blaming the refs for this one even though the Habs had the only 2 penalties in the game Looked to me that the refs let both teams play and missed calls on both sides..

sheed36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 04:06 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Powders View Post
It blow my mind how Martin doesnt want to sit him 1 or 2 game to let him rest. Replace Gorges with Subban. We need Gorges for the tough strech (I know it's a good one now but still early).

Dont get me wrong, it's not a bashing on Gorges. I love the guy, But he looks either Tired or Injured. Let him rest and play Subban.
im surprised at this also by the way, like it cant hurt to rest gorges a bit while we seem to have (out of nowhere) pretty good defenseman depth at the moment

its obvious tho that martin LOVES josh and relies on him and gill alot as a 2nd shutdown pairing and they do GREAT work together

but my guess is hes just waiting for the holidays and he'll rest up a bit then

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 04:08 PM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Felt like both teams weren't up to snuff during the first two periods and then in the 3rd the Habs put on a shutdown clinic.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 04:10 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peekay Zubban View Post
Price's last 12 starts:

9-2-1, 955%, 1.41ga
sickening, considering we should of won the philly game and we blew the edmonton game with 4 GA

vezina between price and thomas right now, but thats an understatement, nobody comes close to these 2 right now, maybe quick

Old
12-04-2010, 04:10 PM

Makes me laugh some people wanted the Habs to put in a claim for Brian Lee and send down Yannick Weber a few days ago because 'he was wasting his time as #7D"

Great game from him, I really focused on him and he won every battle, made strong outlet passes and has a knack for getting his shot on net (though he didn't get as much chance today as last game).

The Habs strength is definetely it's defense, which is shocking because they don't have Markov right now. Hell, even Picard right now is firmly entrenched as a dman right now, he's kept it simple and basically plays mistake free hockey...great find by Gauthier,

Picard, Darche, Halpern...all three of those guys are key contributors and together don't even make 2M. Signings like that offset the damage a guy like Gomez does to your cap...

Great job by Gauthier

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 04:11 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogurt View Post
Felt like both teams weren't up to snuff during the first two periods and then in the 3rd the Habs put on a shutdown clinic.
i said it last year

We are the new New Jersey Devils.

i like it.

Old
12-04-2010, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strutsboa View Post
I know that +/- isn't the best stat, but anyway.

Team leaders in +/- right now:

Picard +9
Halpern +9
Darche +9
Combined salaries...1.6M

That's value

Old
12-04-2010, 04:12 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post
while i 100% agree, picard is the one id sit out

but whats funny is, picard is only 25 lol...even obyrne was 26...
And make Subban play on the left side ?

Picard plays well, doesn't do stupid bone-head plays, he's fine offensively and defensively... he'll stay in the lineup... easy decision.

I think PK will stay in the PB next game and then we'll see him back in the lineup if the team loses or Weber plays badly.

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 04:13 PM
Craig71

Me thinks Jacques Martin deserves the fourth star for this win today. I think he is a great coach that is leading our guys based on the ability that they have and not making them do things they cannot. I like the way he is taking young d-men and transitioning them into his system. I think he is bashed to regularly and not credited often enough. (I have criticized him unfairly at times but I was wrong) I read a post this week by a Sens fan that gave Martin credit for being a great coach and for developing Spezza an Phillips and helping Chara become solid players. He has coached our team brilliantly especially defensively. I believe Plekanec thrives under his coaching and I am now seeing very positive development in Eller and Pouliot, this is because of Martin, keeping it simple paying attention to small things that make a player and team play well. PK Suban will come back stronger as a result of sitting out and it will not hurt him. It is an exciting time to be a Habs fan with such depth in our system, it has been a long time since our team looked this good. GO HABS GO!!!!!!

Craig71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post

Picard plays well, doesn't do stupid bone-head plays, he's fine offensively and defensively... he'll stay in the lineup... easy decision.

I think PK will stay in the PB next game and then we'll see him back in the lineup if the team loses or Weber plays badly.
I don't know what the big deal is, Habs have won the last two games...and people are whining about playing PK.

PK's just gonna have to bide his time like Picard did when Markov played and like Weber did recently. It'll up to him when he get back in the lineup, to make sure he holds onto his spot

Old
12-04-2010, 04:16 PM
Vicious

Send a message via MSN to Vicious
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Getz View Post
Yeah it's not like he's swiss and the majority of people in Switzerland speak German...
They speak Swiss-German*

But your point remains valid.

Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 04:17 PM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Quote:
i said it last year

i like it.
Me too. I've always supported the Devils' and their fans when they got flak for their boring style of play.

If it gets results, I'm all for it.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 04:18 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peekay Zubban View Post
Price's last 12 starts:

9-2-1, 955%, 1.41ga
I wonder if Allan Walsh is gonna tweet about this.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 04:19 PM
NLHabsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post

It's hard to change anything after a couple of big wins, but if they want Subban back in the line-up it will probably be Picard who sits. I don't think they should play Subban on the left side, split up Gorges and Gill, move Gorges back to his natural left side and they are each paired with the offensive rookie. Hamrlik and Spacek are the most important 5-on-5 dman pairing now so it wouldn't be a good idea to move Spacek to the left. Tough call though

NLHabsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 04:19 PM
sheed36

Quote:
i said it last year

i like it.
Yup.. Boring defensive hockey but yet so very effective... I apologize now for calling the Devils boring for all those years..

sheed36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 04:20 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Powders View Post
It blow my mind how Martin doesnt want to sit him 1 or 2 game to let him rest. Replace Gorges with Subban. We need Gorges for the tough strech (I know it's a good one now but still early).

Dont get me wrong, it's not a bashing on Gorges. I love the guy, But he looks either Tired or Injured. Let him rest and play Subban.
I dunno about that. Gorges looks steady and reliable as usual.

A few game notes:

-The 2nd period was not very good. I thought the habs had a better first than second period even though the shot totals indicated otherwise. Pouliot was their best forward in the first two periods. He was creating chances when other guys weren't and knocking guys over on the forecheck.

-I loved the 3rd period. The sharks didnt get much at all, and the habs pushed the tempo as best they could given SJ's ability to clog the neutral zone. They didn't sit back.

- Price was Price. I feel like I just take his A grade performances for granted now, because he's been that way all season. But he out-performed niemi for sure.

As for the defensive situation, who on earth would predicted that the habs wouldn't have enough spots to go around on D after losing markov and trading OB? Its a great situation! Aside from a couple tough shifts, Weber played a strong game, and this was without his biggest weapon coming to use due to no power plays! Picard was Picard.. steady for a depth d-man

I cant see how subban cracks the lineup against ottawa, and quite honestly, I dont think its going to be a problem. If subban can break so easily after being sat out 3 games, then that doesn't speak much for his mental toughness. He'll be fine. Not only that, he will come back with a vengeance and keep his shifts shorter.

Knowing martin's tendencies, pk will be out until the habs lose a game (barring injuries).

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Dirty Danglez
Take it like a Man

Play Subban on RW!!!

Kostitsyn Pleks Gio
Cammy Gomez SUBBAN
Pouliot Eller Darche
Moen/Pyatt Halpern Lapierre

Hammer Spacek
Gill Gorges
Picard Weber

LOL

Edit: Our very own Byfuglien!

Dirty Danglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Ross MacLochness

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
PK's just gonna have to bide his time like Picard did when Markov played and like Weber did recently. It'll up to him when he get back in the lineup, to make sure he holds onto his spot
I honestly think he's been good enough this year to not have to do that, regardless of his experience. This isn't a fanboy talking here, and aside from 2 or 3 hiccup games he's been shockingly solid. I feel calmer with him on the ice than any of our other D.

Weber played solid, but obviously in a win his strengths will be talked about and his miscues ignored a bit (he had a couple for sure).

Really hard to complain about this team right now. One of the best teams in the East and a ton of cap space to make something happen. It's physically painful seeing Moen play on the 2nd line so that should be the first thing to look at.

-Sharks fans didn't actually complain about the reffing did they? I'm not going to check I hate reading their board.

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 04:21 PM
NLHabsFan

Quote:
i said it last year

i like it.
It's hard not to like it if it piles up W's

NLHabsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 04:22 PM
Kirk Muller

For the most part a very good defensive effort. Montreal did contain SJ however i don't think you'd want to see them trying to play that way in a 7 game series for 4 for rounds. For the most part, SJ forwards were shrugging off habs like flies and i would fear being worn down in the playoffs.

Basically everyone played a solid game. Wasn't overly found of Gill, Moen or Gomez but everyone else picked up the slack.

Interesting how Cammalleri's intensity level doubled as soon as being separated from Gomez.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 04:23 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLHabsFan View Post
It's hard to change anything after a couple of big wins, but if they want Subban back in the line-up it will probably be Picard who sits. I don't think they should play Subban on the left side, split up Gorges and Gill, move Gorges back to his natural left side and they are each paired with the offensive rookie. Hamrlik and Spacek are the most important 5-on-5 dman pairing now so it wouldn't be a good idea to move Spacek to the left. Tough call though
Martin won't brake up his d-men combinations to please and accommodate Subban. The team is winning, and has allowed only two goals in the last two games without him in the line up.

Weber might be part of a package to get another player in a trade, but I would not bet on it right now.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 04:23 PM
CanadaIsHockey

Quote:
sickening, considering we should of won the philly game and we blew the edmonton game with 4 GA

vezina between price and thomas right now, but thats an understatement, nobody comes close to these 2 right now, maybe quick
Few things wrong with this.

Vezina right now clearly belongs to Thomas and that's not even a question.
You got Price and Pavelec (let's not forget him), who can give him a run for it when Thomas come's back to Earth.

Thomas: 17GP 13W 2L 1 OTL 1.44GAA .960SV%, Nothing right now is competing against that.

MVP however Price can make a case for himself right now.

CanadaIsHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 04:25 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Danglez View Post
Play Subban on RW!!!

Kostitsyn Pleks Gio
Cammy Gomez SUBBAN
Pouliot Eller Darche
Moen/Pyatt Halpern Lapierre

Hammer Spacek
Gill Gorges
Picard Weber

LOL

Edit: Our very own Byfuglien!
I don't know how to respond to that... apart from being black, how in hell do these two even compare to each other ?

Subban is not a ****ing maskot... he's a hockey player like everyone else...

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 04:27 PM
Mister Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
Just finished reading some of the Sharks GDT and some are actually blaming the refs for this one even though the Habs had the only 2 penalties in the game Looked to me that the refs let both teams play and missed calls on both sides..
Afternoon game was hard for refs as well lol.

Mister Potato is offline   Reply With Quote