HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are the Habs showcasing Weber?

Old
12-04-2010, 04:28 PM
snakeye

vCash: 500
Are the Habs showcasing Weber?

What do you guys think? Subban has been scratched for two games in a row now. Could the real reason be that they're showcasing Weber?

snakeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 04:35 PM
KadoCH

No I think they're saying if you play well and don't make mistakes that cost the team points you will stay in.

What message gets sent if the team out scores its opponents 8-2 in two games and someone gets scratched for a rookie who just made two big mistakes his last game.

KadoCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 04:36 PM
HabsHockey*
Keep Keeping On

Maybe they are checking if they can call him up next year when they decide not to resign one of our D.

HabsHockey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 04:39 PM
holyhabs

Ya, to ourselves.

We have decisions to make on the back end for next year and Weber has to potential to be an important piece to this team moving forward.

holyhabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 04:41 PM
Holy Puck
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

I had this feeling when they called him up. The way he is playing I'd much rather keep him, but with all the trade rumors emanating around the league, there's no doubt other teams are assessing him at the moment, whether or not we brought him up for that reason.
I could see him packaged with Pacioretty + to the Kings for one of their upcoming RFA young D studs (like Johnson).

Holy Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 04:42 PM
habfaninvictoria

Why would you showcase someone you've invested 3 years in. If anything we've actually got a case to dump Spacek who continues to be the week link on a strong D.

Weber's playing well. I don't know who's gonna sit next game but I doubt it's Weber or Picard. Maybe a forward but Darche, Eller, Pyatt, Laps, Pouliot have all been playing well and would be the logical picks from forward.

habfaninvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 04:43 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

More like Weber is showcasing himself to the habs.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 04:44 PM
jmurray77

I think he has finally earned a shot in the big leagues and he is their number one prospect on the back end that is NHL ready. He had 8 goals in 15 games w/ the Bulldogs before his call up.

With Markov down and the power play lacking a presence on the blue line Weber has at least earned a 10 game run to see if he can handle it. A plus 3 today an a assist is a good step in right direction.

Only problem I see is that he is a right hand shot like Subban which makes it tough because Martin really likes the Gill-Georges and Hammer and Spacek pairings. And you can't blame him they play very well together. Gonna be interesting going forward, I hope Weber is able to keep his spot maybe along side Hammer and then having Spacek and Subban pair up w/ Picard,who has been solid, the odd man out.

All this Bieksa talk and I think Weber is about 3 million dollars cheaper and can provide possibly better offense than him. I think Weber has to be given at least a 10 game run to see if he is NHL ready. I think Montreal should go for a top six forward the defense with Tinordi, Subban, Weber, Emelin and Georges is in good hands for years to come.

jmurray77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 04:44 PM
snakeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyhabs87 View Post
Ya, to ourselves.

We have decisions to make on the back end for next year and Weber has to potential to be an important piece to this team moving forward.
I agree, and it's why I'm kind of paranoid about the habs maybe wanting to trade him. After all, they have over 5 mil to spend on a player now that Markov's on IR, but they still need to make a trade to acquire this player, and Weber probably has good trading value.

So if he keeps playing well, do they send Subban down?

snakeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 04:48 PM
Richiebottles
( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

Send a message via AIM to Richiebottles
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeye View Post
I agree, and it's why I'm kind of paranoid about the habs maybe wanting to trade him. After all, they have over 5 mil to spend on a player now that Markov's on IR, but they still need to make a trade to acquire this player, and Weber probably has good trading value.

So if he keeps playing well, do they send Subban down?
Ahaha . Nobody deserves to sit or be sent down . I think a trade involving Weber and someone else (Rookie) Could happen soon . Because now he have a backlog on D and on offense!

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 04:48 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfaninvictoria View Post
Why would you showcase someone you've invested 3 years in. If anything we've actually got a case to dump Spacek who continues to be the week link on a strong D.
Few would agree with me, but I think the weak link is Gill. He is, at best, a situational player.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 04:49 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeye View Post
What do you guys think? Subban has been scratched for two games in a row now. Could the real reason be that they're showcasing Weber?
Really not sure about that.

They already dumped O'Byrne. Next year, Markov, Hamrlik and Gill might be gone. So, they need some relief.

That reminds me when they had Chelios, Lumme, Kurvers and Svoboda. Two of them were dealt. But the four of them have had really pretty good NHL carreers.

Last edited by CanadienErrant*: 12-04-2010 at 04:56 PM.
CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 04:50 PM
Sandvich
VERY NICE

They are trying to trade Subban... guys come on wake up.

Sandvich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 04:51 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post
Ahaha . Nobody deserves to sit or be sent down . I think a trade involving Weber and someone else (Rookie) Could happen soon . Because now he have a backlog on D and on offense!
? The habs have only one extra forward + one extra d-man which is the bare minimal in today's NHL. Guys in Hamilton can still wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandvich View Post
They are trying to trade Subban... guys come on wake up.
For Stamkos or Taylor Hall ? That's fine !

Old
12-04-2010, 04:53 PM
Ketzlaf

Markov, Gill, Hamrlik are UFA, Picard, Gorges and Weber are RFA. We have decisions to make on the D, and it would be wise to go into the offseason with many options. Unless some other GM has an irrational mancrush on Weber, he is staying put.

Ketzlaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 04:55 PM
Richiebottles
( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

Assuming Yemlin come over this summer . We need to sign Markov. Possibly hammer . And if we don't sign him we can go get a D in the free agency . I like our D's future

Old
12-04-2010, 04:56 PM
Richiebottles
( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
? The habs have only one extra forward + one extra d-man which is the bare minimal in today's NHL. Guys in Hamilton can still wait.
What i am saying is that there is no one that we can put in the minors or bench. So we have a backlog of D in the NHL right now.

Old
12-04-2010, 04:58 PM
ToysInTheAttic

I don't think the Habs are showcasing Weber. He is being given the opportunity to play D and he is showing he belongs. Habs are in an enviable position on defence. Nice depth. There will be injuries during the season. Good to see the Habs will have the players to play without sacrificing quality of play when this happens.

ToysInTheAttic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 04:58 PM
RC51

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurray77 View Post
I think he has finally earned a shot in the big leagues and he is their number one prospect on the back end that is NHL ready. He had 8 goals in 15 games w/ the Bulldogs before his call up.

With Markov down and the power play lacking a presence on the blue line Weber has at least earned a 10 game run to see if he can handle it. A plus 3 today an a assist is a good step in right direction.

Only problem I see is that he is a right hand shot like Subban which makes it tough because Martin really likes the Gill-Georges and Hammer and Spacek pairings. And you can't blame him they play very well together. Gonna be interesting going forward, I hope Weber is able to keep his spot maybe along side Hammer and then having Spacek and Subban pair up w/ Picard,who has been solid, the odd man out.

All this Bieksa talk and I think Weber is about 3 million dollars cheaper and can provide possibly better offense than him. I think Weber has to be given at least a 10 game run to see if he is NHL ready. I think Montreal should go for a top six forward the defense with Tinordi, Subban, Weber, Emelin and Georges is in good hands for years to come.
good post, mostly this is what I think also. If Weber is ready for prime time the Habs can then shop for a big tough Center again because Gomez has lost his edge for sure. But it all depends if Weber is ready to do the job and this is his shot at the bigs right now.

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 05:00 PM
swimmer77
Post Oates

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
Few would agree with me, but I think the weak link is Gill. He is, at best, a situational player.
I'm one of the few who would agree with you. I won't deny his penalty killing prowess but at even strength he can be detrimental. Gorges takes a lot of licks trying to compensate. But in all due respect Gill is playing against top lines. But if Subban could settle down and become a top four guy I guess that's ultimately what I'd like to see happen.

I don't think Weber is being showcased. His call up seemed to coincide with Markov's injury and Subban's decline. He's been up before and was having a good season in Hamilton. He deserved a shot and now he's getting it. I like his shot much better than Subban's. If Weber could get comfy and be a weapon on the powerplay - my word all the better for this team.

Defensive depth is needed. I don't see the Habs parting with any of their D-men ATM.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 05:00 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Honestly it's a combination of everything. The Habs are blessed with a team that for the most part avoided injuries this year, So with Subban having a couple of off games they have the luxury of trying out Weber. For those who say Spacek is still the weak link, you're not watching the games properly. He was clearly out of shape at the beginning of the year, but is now extremely steady out there with Hammer, who's playing even better.

I think Weber playing is less about showing him to other teams and more about finding out if we can save our money on going out to get a D and spend it elsewhere. I think that was what Martin was getting at in the post game interview with Bouchard. He basically said that he was happy to know that he had 7 good D at his disposal and even mentioned being able to call up Carle if it came to that. It's good to get Weber in there as much as possible this season so you know what to do next year with him. We already know that Subban is a lock on D for years to come: I'm sure the Habs would love to know if Weber was, too.

Simply put, it's a great opportunity for both the Habs and Weber to find out where they stand, and as far as Subban is considered he'll just have to wait out the storm. I bet you he's just itching at the chance to show the coaches how much better he can be in his overall play. This a real win/win situation going on here, and we should be thanking Martin for making this bold decision.

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 05:02 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
good post, mostly this is what I think also. If Weber is ready for prime time the Habs can then shop for a big tough Center again because Gomez has lost his edge for sure. But it all depends if Weber is ready to do the job and this is his shot at the bigs right now.
And this guy will play on which line ?

You really think Gomez would accept to play on a third line ?

And what about Halpern and Eller ? Can't blame them at all.

They are going to get a winger somewhere down the road to complement Gomez and Cammy. I would like Brendan Morrow.

Last edited by CanadienErrant*: 12-04-2010 at 05:08 PM.
Old
12-04-2010, 05:05 PM
L4br3cqu3
Booya !

vCash: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post
Assuming Yemlin come over this summer . We need to sign Markov. Possibly hammer . And if we don't sign him we can go get a D in the free agency . I like our D's future
Well, we've assumed that since his draft, we just can't take him for granted, impossible. But yeah, we'll see what they do with Markov, I would re-sign Hammer to a cheaper contract, try to trade Spacek, and sign a D or 2 off the free agents (I would love Pitkanen).

As for Weber, like alot already said, he's showcasing himself to the Habs, which is great, only 2 games, but I really like what I see from him, way better in his zone, and his shot is just great.

L4br3cqu3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 05:51 PM
prevail

They're using Weber to fire up Subban, they know PK is a very competitive person and I really don't think he likes being the outcast, especially to another rookie.

Whether it attracts trade talks from other teams is a bonus.

prevail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 05:58 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
And this guy will play on which line ?

You really think Gomez would accept to play on a third line ?

And what about Halpern and Eller ? Can't blame them at all.

They are going to get a winger somewhere down the road to complement Gomez and Cammy. I would like Brendan Morrow.
I don't think Gomez has much say when it comes to the line Martin decides to play him on. The Habs world doesn't revolve around Gomez... he is only one part of the team and a small one at that. At this point, I would have no qualms about nailing him to the bench if we acquired a more dominant center.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote