HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Hmm... seems someone is listening...

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-02-2010, 12:38 PM
  #26
Bongo
Registered User
 
Bongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 1,048
vCash: 500
Remember there's no such thing as bad publicity. The article does say positive things about the team, not so much about the city nor it's fans.

Bongo is offline  
Old
12-04-2010, 08:08 AM
  #27
Shameus
Moderator
 
Shameus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Middle of a Migraine
Country: Ireland
Posts: 5,630
vCash: 500
Came across this article, it is about an NFL team and its attendance problems, so there is some disconnect, but the read is interesting. Also if you're a Falcons fan guy's a good read, even if it is espn; and it's one of the few things left on that site you can read without being an "insider." The story is about attendance problems in Tampa where they sold out games for like 10 straight years, now they get half their stadium filled. The article is about how it doesn't seem winning alone will bring fans back and just thought the parallels were just to similar.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/post/_/id/16011/16011

Oh and thanks to all who didn't make me the only on around here to have enjoyed 'ol Fulton County Stadium.


Last edited by Shameus: 12-04-2010 at 11:25 AM.
Shameus is offline  
Old
12-04-2010, 08:38 AM
  #28
Georgia Dawg
Registered User
 
Georgia Dawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,629
vCash: 500
http://www.680thefan.com/blogs/kincade.php

Kincade's response.

Georgia Dawg is offline  
Old
12-04-2010, 09:40 AM
  #29
Shameus
Moderator
 
Shameus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Middle of a Migraine
Country: Ireland
Posts: 5,630
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Dawg View Post
He also made another post further down in the comment section titled "Believe in Blueland Cautiously"

Shameus is offline  
Old
12-04-2010, 11:22 AM
  #30
The Sneak
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Georgia
Country: Jersey
Posts: 2,510
vCash: 500
Kincade is an idiot. Going back to the late 60's to make a point about the Celtics? Really? Hey, dumb bunnies in Boston. 40 years ago when players had day jobs your fans sucked! TAKE THAT! And yes, Red Sox "Nation" is a recent phenomenon thanks to the marketeers trying to extract every dollar from a passionate fan base (there is a charge to become a member of RSN) but the fact that the "Nation" even exists is because that town has been crazy over the top about their baseball team for nearly 30 years.

He's spot on about the Bruins but he should have picked on the Pats fans as the true bandwagoners (or Celts of the 90s) of that region but I'd hardly expect Kincade to know anything about what he talks about.

Comes across petulant and deflecting away from our problems. A justification so we don't have to address that we do have a problem here. Obamanomics at play. Instead of addressing internally he focuses blame on other places.

The Sneak is offline  
Old
12-04-2010, 12:14 PM
  #31
BreakTheWallsDown
HFBoards Prospect
 
BreakTheWallsDown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kennesaw, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,317
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BreakTheWallsDown Send a message via MSN to BreakTheWallsDown
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sneak View Post
And yes, Red Sox "Nation" is a recent phenomenon thanks to the marketeers trying to extract every dollar from a passionate fan base (there is a charge to become a member of RSN) but the fact that the "Nation" even exists is because that town has been crazy over the top about their baseball team for nearly 30 years.
There were barely any red sox fans around until they got good and won the world series for the first time in forever. Now you can't walk down the street even here without seeing one. They're some of the worst band-wagoners of all.

BreakTheWallsDown is offline  
Old
12-04-2010, 12:19 PM
  #32
The Sneak
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Georgia
Country: Jersey
Posts: 2,510
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakTheWallsDown View Post
There were barely any red sox fans around until they got good and won the world series for the first time in forever. Now you can't walk down the street without seeing one. They're some of the worst band-wagoners of all.
Spent a lot of time in New England, have you? I don't think Jack Edwards was talking about the absence of Thrashers fans hanging around Faneuil Hall.

The Sneak is offline  
Old
12-04-2010, 01:37 PM
  #33
Ten Thousand Hours
Registered User
 
Ten Thousand Hours's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 3,441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakTheWallsDown View Post
There were barely any red sox fans around until they got good and won the world series for the first time in forever. Now you can't walk down the street even here without seeing one. They're some of the worst band-wagoners of all.

That's not true. The number of pink hat Sox fans has no doubt increased but that doesn't mean die-hard Sox fans didn't exist before 2004. And the comparison from the Bruins from 06-08 to the Thrashers now isn't valid at all. We sucked then. You guys are good now. I don't mean to sound condescending whatsoever and I don't believe Jack did either (and I'm also preaching to the wrong people if I were trying to criticize Atlanta sports fans for not following hockey) but the point is there's a pretty big difference between the success of the team and the success of the team's attendance. That wasn't the case for the B's from 06-08 nor was it the case for the Sox in the 90's. And I haven't a clue about the C's from before Bill Russell.

Ten Thousand Hours is online now  
Old
12-04-2010, 01:48 PM
  #34
dj4aces
Registered User
 
dj4aces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,892
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguin2Couturier View Post
That's not true. The number of pink hat Sox fans has no doubt increased but that doesn't mean die-hard Sox fans didn't exist before 2004. And the comparison from the Bruins from 06-08 to the Thrashers now isn't valid at all. We sucked then. You guys are good now. I don't mean to sound condescending whatsoever and I don't believe Jack did either (and I'm also preaching to the wrong people if I were trying to criticize Atlanta sports fans for not following hockey) but the point is there's a pretty big difference between the success of the team and the success of the team's attendance. That wasn't the case for the B's from 06-08 nor was it the case for the Sox in the 90's. And I haven't a clue about the C's from before Bill Russell.
I get what you're saying; however, while those Bruins in those years sucked, the Thrashers have also sucked for a good while. Their epic nine game losing streak of a collapse from first place in the SE Div in 07-08, then the following two seasons of suck, have done a lot to chase away fans.

Atlanta is good now, yes, but they did suck, and that's why fans haven't returned.

dj4aces is offline  
Old
12-04-2010, 01:54 PM
  #35
Lemon Lover
Forever in Blueland
 
Lemon Lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Atlanta
Country: United States
Posts: 609
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguin2Couturier View Post
And the comparison from the Bruins from 06-08 to the Thrashers now isn't valid at all. We sucked then. You guys are good now.
Well, I think the comparison may be more valid than you think.

"You guys are good now." -Well, we've been playing good for about 2, maybe 3 weeks at best. We were pretty bad in October and downright sucked the previous 3 years. Other than diehard Thrasher fans like those that post here, no one in the the Atlanta Metro area would realize that the local NHL team is playing well.

More than likely if you were to ask a random person today, "Are the Thrashers any good?", they would respond, "The Thrashers, they stink don't they?". Honestly it will take at least a playoff series win before the "masses" realize they have a good team and we fill up the seats with band wagon fans.

Lemon Lover is offline  
Old
12-04-2010, 01:55 PM
  #36
Ashe
Registered User
 
Ashe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Saskatoon SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,471
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4aces View Post
I get what you're saying; however, while those Bruins in those years sucked, the Thrashers have also sucked for a good while. Their epic nine game losing streak of a collapse from first place in the SE Div in 07-08, then the following two seasons of suck, have done a lot to chase away fans.

Atlanta is good now, yes, but they did suck, and that's why fans haven't returned.
Instead of attacking Boston's fanbase during the down years. Kincaide could of AT LEAST, agreed with it, and tried to get some butts in the seats, not try and explain why our attendance sucks and why no one wants to go because our team is a stinking trash heap. We aren't. We've been in a playoff race the past two years (Including last year without our star player). And it should show that we are improving and deserve at least a second chance from some of the fans who left. And unfortunately, attacking someone elses fan base, and not supporting ours doesn't help.

"Bostons sucked because Boston sucked" 'Ours sucks cause we suck'.

That doesn't vote confidence. There is a point of being critical to a team, but attacking other teams doesn't do good for anyone. It makes us look like *******s, when we are the ones with the ****** attendance and relocation rumors.

Ashe is offline  
Old
12-04-2010, 02:04 PM
  #37
Ten Thousand Hours
Registered User
 
Ten Thousand Hours's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 3,441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Lover View Post
Well, I think the comparison may be more valid than you think.

"You guys are good now." -Well, we've been playing good for about 2, maybe 3 weeks at best. We were pretty bad in October and downright sucked the previous 3 years. Other than diehard Thrasher fans like those that post here, no one in the the Atlanta Metro area would realize that the local NHL team is playing well.

More than likely if you were to ask a random person today, "Are the Thrashers any good?", they would respond, "The Thrashers, they stink don't they?". Honestly it will take at least a playoff series win before the "masses" realize they have a good team and we fill up the seats with band wagon fans.

I completely understand what you're saying, but the point Jack was trying to make (and, yes, I know he was writing for a Boston audience primarily) is that the "masses" in Atlanta should recognize that the Thrashers are a very good team and the idiot that says "The Thrashers, they stink don't they?" should realize that he's wrong. I have only been to Atlanta once, I don't know what kind of media coverage you get, but you should be getting coverage from newspapers and radio stations for being possibly the best story in hockey. Again, I'm not trying to blame you. Everyone that reads this post will already know that the Thrashers are good, but Jack's just saying those who don't know that, should. Perhaps a playoff appearance will help that. The 7 game series Boston had as the 8 seed with Montreal back in 08 was probably the one week that brought back most of the fans that left with Joe Thornton.

Ten Thousand Hours is online now  
Old
12-04-2010, 02:42 PM
  #38
ThrasherMinion
Just Chucky
 
ThrasherMinion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 4,254
vCash: 500


We should open a visitor's sign in thread so we'll know who to send "thank you" notes to after getting all the gifts of comments that try to educate us about us.

ThrasherMinion is offline  
Old
12-04-2010, 02:52 PM
  #39
Ten Thousand Hours
Registered User
 
Ten Thousand Hours's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 3,441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrasherMinion View Post


We should open a visitor's sign in thread so we'll know who to send "thank you" notes to after getting all the gifts of comments that try to educate us about us.



Is that directed at me? I was mainly contributing on the difference between why Boston had bad attendace vs. why you all have bad attedance. That's not really educating you about you. And then I clarified what our play-by-play guy was saying in his article.

Unless your comment was directed at Jack... then, whatever, that's fine.

Ten Thousand Hours is online now  
Old
12-04-2010, 03:08 PM
  #40
ThrasherMinion
Just Chucky
 
ThrasherMinion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 4,254
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguin2Couturier View Post


Is that directed at me? I was mainly contributing on the difference between why Boston had bad attendace vs. why you all have bad attedance. That's not really educating you about you. And then I clarified what our play-by-play guy was saying in his article.

Unless your comment was directed at Jack... then, whatever, that's fine.
It's a welcome sign to everyone! We've never had so much "out of town" traffic on our boards! I guess winning does that, ya know, makes people take notice and all.

Southern Hospitality is alive and well.

ThrasherMinion is offline  
Old
12-04-2010, 03:55 PM
  #41
dj4aces
Registered User
 
dj4aces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,892
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguin2Couturier View Post
I have only been to Atlanta once, I don't know what kind of media coverage you get, but you should be getting coverage from newspapers and radio stations for being possibly the best story in hockey.
Atlanta's media coverage sucks. Even Kinkade doesn't talk about the Thrashers but once every blue moon or so. It's all college sports, almost all the time. Falcons and Braves offseason are "hotter topics" than the Thrashers, in his eyes.

I agree that we should be getting good coverage, but the reality is vastly different.

Luckily, some of the other local media personalities are starting to catch on, and promote the team a bit on the news channels, but it's otherwise really quiet on the airwaves.

Winning will fix that, but it will take a little while. I sure as hell hope we make the playoffs this year, because that will work to improve the coverage the media gives this team.

dj4aces is offline  
Old
12-04-2010, 04:34 PM
  #42
Waltah*
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Upstate NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,030
vCash: 500
Jack Edwards writes an article basically saying " thrashers are a good team, go and check them out, you're missing something special".

and it gets twisted into a boston sports fans vs atlanta sports fans? give me a break. I remember the atlanta forum had a sticky at one point saying not to ask about attendance, fans, etc .

edit* .... http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=582997 there it is, still stickied.

now you are going to spit at someone for making an article about how the city of atlanta should be checking out the thrashers?

keep these piss poor attitudes and youll be rooting for a team in Winnipeg.

Waltah* is offline  
Old
12-04-2010, 04:57 PM
  #43
Rhodes 81
Moderator
grit those teeth
 
Rhodes 81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Atlanta
Country: United States
Posts: 12,179
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguin2Couturier View Post
I completely understand what you're saying, but the point Jack was trying to make (and, yes, I know he was writing for a Boston audience primarily) is that the "masses" in Atlanta should recognize that the Thrashers are a very good team and the idiot that says "The Thrashers, they stink don't they?" should realize that he's wrong. I have only been to Atlanta once, I don't know what kind of media coverage you get, but you should be getting coverage from newspapers and radio stations for being possibly the best story in hockey. Again, I'm not trying to blame you. Everyone that reads this post will already know that the Thrashers are good, but Jack's just saying those who don't know that, should. Perhaps a playoff appearance will help that. The 7 game series Boston had as the 8 seed with Montreal back in 08 was probably the one week that brought back most of the fans that left with Joe Thornton.
unfortunately, we just don't get media coverage. there's just no way for casual fans that don't pay attention all that much to know we don't suck anymore. there's been a slight increase i've noticed in the past few weeks. if we keep playing well hopefully that slight increase will be a big increase. If that happens then you'll start seeing a lot more 16K+ a night crowds (though because of the pure fact that this is atlanta, weeknight attendance will always be bad). if we make the playoffs, we'll sell those games out. if we do something in the playoffs then next season we'll have good attendance. that's how it is for every sport here other than college football.

Rhodes 81 is offline  
Old
12-04-2010, 04:59 PM
  #44
Rhodes 81
Moderator
grit those teeth
 
Rhodes 81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Atlanta
Country: United States
Posts: 12,179
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltah View Post
Jack Edwards writes an article basically saying " thrashers are a good team, go and check them out, you're missing something special".

and it gets twisted into a boston sports fans vs atlanta sports fans? give me a break. I remember the atlanta forum had a sticky at one point saying not to ask about attendance, fans, etc .

edit* .... http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=582997 there it is, still stickied.

now you are going to spit at someone for making an article about how the city of atlanta should be checking out the thrashers?

keep these piss poor attitudes and youll be rooting for a team in Winnipeg.
that was originally made as a joke and trust me, if your team got as much crap about relocation and bad attendance numbers as ours did you would have threads like that too.

Rhodes 81 is offline  
Old
12-04-2010, 05:04 PM
  #45
dj4aces
Registered User
 
dj4aces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,892
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltah View Post
and it gets twisted into a boston sports fans vs atlanta sports fans? give me a break.
Go tell it to Kinkade, man. I disagree with his take on the matter. Hell, Kinkade is still a Flyers fan, even though he won't admit it.

dj4aces is offline  
Old
12-04-2010, 05:09 PM
  #46
Ashe
Registered User
 
Ashe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Saskatoon SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,471
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltah View Post
Jack Edwards writes an article basically saying " thrashers are a good team, go and check them out, you're missing something special".

and it gets twisted into a boston sports fans vs atlanta sports fans? give me a break. I remember the atlanta forum had a sticky at one point saying not to ask about attendance, fans, etc .

edit* .... http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=582997 there it is, still stickied.

now you are going to spit at someone for making an article about how the city of atlanta should be checking out the thrashers?

keep these piss poor attitudes and youll be rooting for a team in Winnipeg.
Blame Kincaide for starting it.

He went the wrong route with it, and a few of us know this. I even posted it if you looked up or cared to.

and don't call us piss poor attitudes bro.

Ashe is offline  
Old
12-04-2010, 07:42 PM
  #47
Aaronxxx
Registered User
 
Aaronxxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: atlanta
Posts: 1,252
vCash: 500
the irony of boston fans coming to an atlanta board and crying about boston fans vs atlanta fans

Aaronxxx is offline  
Old
12-04-2010, 08:59 PM
  #48
vomer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 16
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sneak View Post
Kincade is an idiot. Going back to the late 60's to make a point about the Celtics? Really? Hey, dumb bunnies in Boston. 40 years ago when players had day jobs your fans sucked! TAKE THAT! And yes, Red Sox "Nation" is a recent phenomenon thanks to the marketeers trying to extract every dollar from a passionate fan base (there is a charge to become a member of RSN) but the fact that the "Nation" even exists is because that town has been crazy over the top about their baseball team for nearly 30 years.

He's spot on about the Bruins but he should have picked on the Pats fans as the true bandwagoners (or Celts of the 90s) of that region but I'd hardly expect Kincade to know anything about what he talks about.

Comes across petulant and deflecting away from our problems. A justification so we don't have to address that we do have a problem here. Obamanomics at play. Instead of addressing internally he focuses blame on other places.
Well put. I was born in Boston, and the Sox fans have always been passionate, even given the curse and years of suckage. Bruins assessment was dead on.

I'm glad Edwards wrote the article. He's right about a lot of things - this city just doesn't care about hockey, and a large part of that is crappy management by the ASG.

vomer is offline  
Old
12-04-2010, 09:02 PM
  #49
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor
 
DungeonK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Atlanta
Country: United States
Posts: 5,606
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltah View Post
Jack Edwards writes an article basically saying " thrashers are a good team, go and check them out, you're missing something special".

and it gets twisted into a boston sports fans vs atlanta sports fans? give me a break. I remember the atlanta forum had a sticky at one point saying not to ask about attendance, fans, etc .

edit* .... http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=582997 there it is, still stickied.

now you are going to spit at someone for making an article about how the city of atlanta should be checking out the thrashers?

keep these piss poor attitudes and youll be rooting for a team in Winnipeg.
What does whining about some kind of fan rivalry (is that what this is?) have to do with relocation? Or are you just upset about something?

Both "articles" were stupid, most of the responses in here are stupid, but I like what Seguin2Couturier has to say

DungeonK is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:11 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.