HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Rangers WANT Richards

Old
12-04-2010, 11:04 PM
Trottier
Very Random

vCash: 500
Richards would make perfect sense for NYR and would make them that much more of a tough draw come April.

And, NYR has the pieces to acquire him without measurably impacting their current roster.

But there will have to be some "pain" felt on the NY side, clearly more than some posters here wish to experience.

Trottier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 11:05 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraparounds View Post
I had no intent to troll. Did you look at the 2nd offer?

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

You're saying New York has to give up good players to get a guy who returned Halpern, Jussi Jokinen and Smith for himself and Holmqvist ?

Rangers 1st + some prospect Valentenko type, or 1st, 2nd Valentenko type prospect would be more than enough for a rental. With the more than likely possibility of an "if he re-signs" clause.

That is, of course, if Dallas is going to miss.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Modo
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Wow, are you serious? Did I ever say that Richards wasn't captain material>
Well, you may have implied it when you were adamant in not wanting to give up "future captains" Callahan or Dubinsky.

Just my opinion.

I'd agree that Richards would undoubtedly be a great center, and great captain, in New York.

But I really, really hope that never happens.

12-04-2010, 11:06 PM
piqued

vCash: 3722
The Stars don't want Russians. Leave them out of your proposals.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 11:06 PM
JeffMangum
I'm v

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
Well, you may have implied it when you were adamant in not wanting to give up "future captains" Callahan or Dubinsky.

Just my opinion.

I'd agree that Richards would undoubtedly be a great center, and great captain, in New York.

But I really, really hope that never happens.
Oh, I never meant that. Richards is one of my favorite players, it's just that Dubinsky/Callahan are the epitomy of what it means to be a Rangers. They're the heart and soul of the team.

12-04-2010, 11:07 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
I had no intent to troll. Did you look at the 2nd offer?
It's cool. I love that video though.

But seriously, both proposals are laughable, the first one much more so. No impending UFA will return that much unless it's for Crosby or something like that.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Vitto79

Dallas is doing well. I doubt they move him unless they start to falter. As a Ranger fan I like what I see so far. I don't want them to move any of the core as listed in the original post. To be honest I would hate to los Anisimov only to have Richards walk

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Zip15

vCash: 326
Quote:
Sorry man, I just don't see it. Giving up both our #2 d-man and #2 center is way too much. I am reluctantly receptive to trading Anisimov, but there's really no way this team trades Girardi. He's too good and too cap-friendly.
So you want a legitimate #1 center--something that the Rangers don't have and the position that costs the most to acquire--who has proven his mettle in the playoffs, won a Cup and a Conn Smythe, and would probably re-sign with your team. But you don't want to give up Anisimov, a promising player but one who has never proven the ability to be a top-6 center over an entire season, and Girardi? Then wait until July 1st.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ThisYearsModel

Funny. So they need a new owner. Stripping the team of their best player would make them more valuable? I just don't see the Rangers trade Staal, Girardi, Stepan, Callahan or Dubinsky. Could happen, but i just don't see it. The Rangers finally have a home grown core of decent players.

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 11:08 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
You're saying New York has to give up good players to get a guy who returned Halpern, Jussi Jokinen and Smith for himself and Holmqvist ?
The concept of "context" and "timing" really should not be that hard to understand.

He was traded for that ^^^ package because his team at the time was seeking to dump salary and Dallas was taking on a long, weighty contract.

In this scenario, NYR would be on the hook for only a couple of months if they choose (acquiring an expiring contract is a virtue in NHL circles, although not here). Plus, there will be more of a market for him at the deadline than there was when TB was looking to move a long-term contract.

As such, that package you describe above has no relevance to today.

If I'm Dallas and NYR wants to deal, Stepan has to be coming back in any package.

Last edited by Trottier: 12-04-2010 at 11:15 PM.
Trottier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 11:09 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
It's cool. I love that video though.

But seriously, both proposals are laughable, the first one much more so. No impending UFA will return that much unless it's for Crosby or something like that.
I'm trying to be skeptical because the idea of getting someone like Richards is definitely something you're going to have to pay for. Hmmm... I'll try to think of something else.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 11:10 PM
JeffMangum
I'm v

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
So you want a legitimate #1 center--something that the Rangers don't have and the position that costs the most to acquire--who has proven his mettle in the playoffs, won a Cup and a Conn Smythe, and would probably re-sign with your team. But you don't want to give up Anisimov, a promising player but one who has never proven the ability to be a top-6 center over an entire season, and Girardi? Then wait until July 1st.
That's what almost all Ranger fans want to do. I am totally against trading for Richards. I'll take the risk of July 1st, considering the Rangers have a lot more incentives than other teams(Tortorella is the x-factor).

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 11:11 PM
Hugo Sham

quick question what is the rags center depth right now? basically duby and drury?

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 11:12 PM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Thats perfectly fine. They can keep Richards if that's the asking price.

Rangers aren't interested in gutting their roster to add 1 guy. The idea is to add Richards while keeping most of the roster intact.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 11:12 PM
Pure

Quote:
Just for clarification purposes before people get ridiculously hyperbolic over this, here are the returns for impending superstar UFAs since the lockout:

Marian Hossa

Marian Hossa
Pascal Dupuis

:thrashers

Colby Armstrong
Erik Christensen
Angelo Esposito
2008 1st round pick

Ilya Kovalchuk

Ilya Kovalchuk
Anssi Salmela
2010 2nd round pick

Johnny Oduya
Niclas Bergfors
Patrice Cormier
2010 1st round pick
2010 2nd round pick

Thus, stop going over the top with these statements that a team must give up obscene value for a player like Richards. The consensus ballparks to around 1 good roster player, 2 good prospects, and a high draft pick.

Let's have a little sanity here.
Depends on the Stars position at the deadline. If the Stars are in the playoffs you better believe teams will have to pay an obscene amount for him.

Pure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 11:13 PM
JeffMangum
I'm v

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
quick question what is the rags center depth right now? basically duby and drury?
Oy, Dubinsky has been converted to Lw.

It's a rotating circus of Christensen, Stepan, Boyle, and Anisimov.

Old
SteenMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Wow, are you serious? Did I ever say that Richards wasn't captain material>
That was your lame excuse for why it's impossible for Dubinsky and Callahan to be traded... not mine.

SteenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Quote:
Nope. Dubinsky has been shifted to LW for about a season now.

Christensen
Stepan
Anisimov
Boyle
Drury
White

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
beastly115

Quote:
Stepan
Anisimov
Boyle
Christensen

Drury has been on IR for a few months. Duby was converted to LW.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 11:14 PM
JeffMangum
I'm v

Quote:
Just for clarification purposes before people get ridiculously hyperbolic over this, here are the returns for impending superstar UFAs since the lockout:

Marian Hossa

Marian Hossa
Pascal Dupuis

Colby Armstrong
Erik Christensen
Angelo Esposito
2008 1st round pick

Ilya Kovalchuk

Ilya Kovalchuk
Anssi Salmela
2010 2nd round pick

Johnny Oduya
Niclas Bergfors
Patrice Cormier
2010 1st round pick
2010 2nd round pick

Thus, stop going over the top with these statements that a team must give up obscene value for a player like Richards. The consensus ballparks to around 1 good roster player, 2 good prospects, and a high draft pick.

Let's have a little sanity here.
Don Wadell made both of those deals. He and the word "sanity", don't beliong in the same field of thought.

Old
MatthewT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhye View Post
Why are Dubinsky and Callahan off-limits? You have to give to get. Do you expect Dallas trade Richards for Redden?
I wouldn't move Duby or Callahan, both are studs. And no you don't have to give to get. Look at the guy in your avatar

MatthewT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ThisYearsModel

I too would rather wait until July 1st. Unless a deal is reached and he agrees to extend before the trade is finalized, which never happens anymore. The Kovalchuk debacle has probably hurt his value some. I think the Rangers have to give up too much to get him. Sather never overpays in trades the way he does in free agent dollars.

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 11:15 PM
JeffMangum
I'm v

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyesinBlue View Post
That was your lame excuse for why it's impossible for Dubinsky and Callahan to be traded... not mine.
"Lame excuse"? That's not the only reason, the main reason. Why would they be traded anyway? Answer: They're not.

Old
12-04-2010, 11:15 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

The Rangers should absolutely trade for him before he becomes a UFA, as long as the price isn't outlandish. They have enough organizational depth to part with a few assets for the right to make sure they get him signed. Playing with the team for a couple of months, going through a playoff run and experiencing the luxuries of life as a Dolan employee, not to mention a reunion with Johnny Cakes, should be enough to do it. Maybe it'll even be enough to inspire a small discount.

I think a lot of people here who have a bias against the Rangers are using that as a reason to overestimate the price. Rozsival, McDonagh, Grachev, a 1st and White is nothing to scoff at (well, White is, but he's just salary purposes). MAYBE, maybe they can be convinced to part with Anisimov instead of Grachev. But it probably won't be necessary, and it certainly won't be any of Callahan, Dubinsky, Stepan, Kreider, Girardi.

Personally, I'd be willing to part with Del Zotto, but I don't think they will.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote