HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Defensive effort gives Habs win

Old
12-04-2010, 06:11 PM
Kimota
Three Bananas

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
He's German swiss. This is akin to saying we should butcher french canadian names because they are canadian and we're not from France...

If RDS screws up with Weber's name its not with the ''V'', but more with the ending (Houde says ''Veberre''). It should be ''Veber'' with the ''er'' sounding the same as ''uber'' or slightly like ''super''. Houde's pronunciation is semi-german, semi-french (in usual RDS half-assed job fashion).

I'm no german phonologist but this is what I gathered on the subject.
You're probably right. Still, Houle should stop annoying the World with his pronounciations.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 06:35 PM
Woland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moen in Glory View Post
W is pronounced V in german
correct, and just to add a little to the mix. My Swiss friends who also are also called Weber pronounce it is if were to sound like Väbre. But that's in Swiss German and Yannick is French so I don't think it would apply. French Swiss would pronounce it as they do on rds

Woland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 06:42 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

I absolutely love these type of games by our team. Yes, we win by 1 or 2 goals,but you feel that there's no way in hell that the other team can tie it. Price makes every save look easy, we block a lot of shots, offensively opportunistic and we close the slot like our lives depended on it. I call this : The troll strategy. It's like a trap, but with a fcking phenomenal goalie backing it.

Although on some close games we should continue to attack i.e. VS the oilers, I love it when we play this style of game. This is how you win the cup, IMO.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 06:58 PM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated R Superstar View Post
I absolutely love these type of games by our team. Yes, we win by 1 or 2 goals,but you feel that there's no way in hell that the other team can tie it. Price makes every save look easy, we block a lot of shots, offensively opportunistic and we close the slot like our lives depended on it. I call this : The troll strategy. It's like a trap, but with a fcking phenomenal goalie backing it.

Although on some close games we should continue to attack i.e. VS the oilers, I love it when we play this style of game. This is how you win the cup, IMO.
Its also vintage Devils Hockey. Trap, dangerous counterattack and phenomenal goal-tending.

Captain Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 07:18 PM
Sir Jacques Demers

I guess someone forgot to tell the Habs that the Devils' game wasn't today. Holy cow, what a snoozefest.

Sir Jacques Demers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 07:22 PM
Kimota
Three Bananas

http://www.ckac.com/hockey/nouvelles...-en-47905.html

Darches on CKAC radio:
"we laughed when Hamrlik went into his breakaway. Our two big Czechs were pumping oil the whole game but did a great job playing against the Sharks' powerhouses".

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 08:42 PM
L4br3cqu3
Booya !

vCash: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Well if he could be a woman...

p.s. I would have had Darche as first star. And Eller should have had one.
Was thinking to myself, that the whole Eller line should have had a star, what a great game. Price made some great saves, but most of the shots weren't that dangerous, and Plekanec was everywhere...

L4br3cqu3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 08:48 PM
Raider917

vCash: 50
After 25 games in 2001-2002 Theodore was 12-8-4-1 GAA - 1.97 SvPCT -.934

After 25 games in 2010-2011 Price is 16-7-2-0 GAA - 1.96 SvPCT -.934

Raider917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 08:55 PM
Nidema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider917 View Post

and your point is?

Price's stats are insane?

Yea we know.

Kthxbye.

Nidema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 09:00 PM
Patccmoi

For all this talk about W-L-W-L, we still got 5 points out of 6 this week and are on top of the NE no matter the games in hand now (even if B wins all the other ones we're still ahead since they managed to lose to Toronto, although To really dominated them in the game, Thomas is truly ridiculous though, I'd like to say Price is the best goaler in the league but Thomas is just unreal up to now).

I love the Eller line, I just wish the ATM line would be put back together, Gomez go back with Gionta and try someone with them. Now that Gionta isn't snake-bitten anymore, I think that the Goàmez-Gionta combo could work well again.

Oh, and Weber is really playing great right now. I want Subban back in the line-up, but it's hard to want to take Weber out. And Picard is playing well too...

Patccmoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 09:01 PM
Craig71

I for one do not see the point of all this analysis of everything about the Habs, we won a game against a great team... That should be good enough.....Enjoy it people.

Craig71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 09:03 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
Quote:

Are you implying Price might win the Hart trophy?

In that case I hope you are right. Pretty reasonable to think so too

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 09:07 PM
Stradale

Quote:

Was it the year Theodore scored a goal? If so, Price is missing something!

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 09:12 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:

Thank you for this, i was curious.

thats the year jose won vezina ANd hart

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 09:33 PM
RNiner

Was nice to see Eller's hard work rewarded with more ice time and Gomez's meh work punished with less. Would not shock me if by seasons end Eller was our 2nd line center. We're not there yet, but its slowly happening every game we play.

RNiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 09:57 PM
Carey Commit
Where's the Doritos?

Send a message via ICQ to Carey Commit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
Was it the year Theodore scored a goal? If so, Price is missing something!
Theo scored the season before.

Carey Commit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 07:47 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Theodore may not be much now but for a short period of time he was incredible. Small goaltenders often fall off which may be why Halak is no longer a Hab.
Quote:

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 08:23 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
Theodore may not be much now but for a short period of time he was incredible. Small goaltenders often fall off which may be why Halak is no longer a Hab.
I had a thought today: I think the new rules on goalie pad size being in proportion to the goalie is a huge bonus with a guy like Price. I am not saying that he's not been great anyway, but every little thing helps, and Price's size is a big help in this regard. It might be my imagination, but it looks like goals against are up this year for almost all but 2 or 3 teams. It may have to do with the new rules on pads. Someone should check this out.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 08:27 AM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sen Jacques Demers View Post
I guess someone forgot to tell the Habs that the Devils' game wasn't today. Holy cow, what a snoozefest.
It was... not only did the habs played defensively, but I can't believe how uncreative and boring the Sharks were... dump, chase, dump, chase, dump, chase... do they know something else ? No wonder why they're the biggest playoffs chokers, it's not hard to establish a defensive strategy against this pityfull display of uncreativity.

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 08:32 AM
WhiskeySeven*
Founded: BargainBin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
It was... not only did the habs played defensively, but I can't believe how uncreative and boring the Sharks were... dump, chase, dump, chase, dump, chase... do they know something else ? No wonder why they're the biggest playoffs chokers, it's not hard to establish a defensive strategy against this pityfull display of uncreativity.
They're a notoriously boring team. Even their stars are just physical specimens with very little creativity, they just beat you with their positioning, grit and size.

Heatley is only an all-star (a fkn all-star) because of his ridiculous release. He's pretty average in most other areas of the game. Jumbo Joe can carry the puck and make a seeing-eye pass but he doesn't really make plays like dynamos like Crosby, Datsyuk, Sedin or even Ribeiro.

They're the definition of a tough-and-tumble western team. We're pretty much the definition of a Jacques Martin collapse-and-counter team. Funny enough, Jacques cited the Sharks/Wings style of possession when he was first hired -- yeah right!

WhiskeySeven* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 08:43 AM
torero

pronounciation of Weber in "Swiss" !

in Swiss German you would pronounce Weber like Väbr or Väbaer with a very short ae.

Now he comes from the french speaking side : Morges
He is a Swiss german who moved/migrated to the Swiss French side of the country (many people are like that including me !) just to say that Weber is a German name.
But in French you would say it Weber like Guiguere. replace the Gui by Va Vaebere.

Yet to make it simple, the name is originally a German Name ...
Therefore you would pronounce it a bit like in Swiss German but without this a intonation. between Veber and Vebr.

In Italian it would be Veber ... both e would be pronounced like first e in Guiguere.

I tried to do my best ... funny topic. You are cool guys to be interested in other cultures !

For the litle story about Guiguere ... it was certainly a Swiss German name Giger, (the artist who created allien was a Giger http://www.hrgiger.com/) who moved for X reasons to a french region where he would be Guiguere (frenchisation) ... then he moved to NA or moved to french speaking NA being German originally.

torero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 10:09 AM
Thorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
Maybe someone should interview Veber and ask him how its pronounced. But ive always heard Europeans saying things like "Ve haff vays to make you talk..." and so on so i say Veber is how it seems to be pronounced.

PS: ...but vhat do i know
If this has already been posted sorry.

Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 10:44 AM
HomaridII

Love the team effort, Hamrlik has been insane all year, love the old dude.

Price's start can't be called a fluke any longer or a "hot" streak. Its a very good goalie with his head in the right place and a team playing good solid team defense. Did you guys know that once we made it 3-1, the Sharks didn't have a shot on goal for over 9 minutes after that goal? That is solid team defense, with everybody involved, the forwards, the D, everybody.

Weber had a good solid game, he even was physical. He looks 1000% better than he did last year and it is good to see frankly. Depth is always good and a puck moving defenseman with a great shot is always a plus.

Picard? I bet the Sens would love to have him back now eh? The dude is awesomely unimpressive yet solid, makes a great first pass and is reliable in his own end.

Eller - Kudos to Martin for bringing this kid along slowly, lowering expectations and slowly giving him more ice time and responsibility on the PK, 3rd period, etc. Eller will be a great one and right now, he is our 2nd line center, just nobody tell Gomez please.

Pouliot - Love his start to the season, involved in the forecheck, back defensively, working hard every shift, shooting more than last season's playoffs, great hands, great vision, great chemistry with Eller. Don't underestimate Darche's influence on both of these kids. Smartest singing of the offseason IMO? Darche. His influence on the kids is noticeable IMO.

Finally ... Gomez! If we were not winning, the entire town would be asking for Gomez's head and he would be in the process of being run out of town. As it is, people talk about him but quickly say, "Yes, but we are winning". He has to wake up and smell the coffee, he is not battling consistently like the rest of the team is, too often he dumps the puck in and then doesn't go after it into the corner fully committed, or doesn't go down low to help the D and instead is looking for a pass out of the zone etc.. Last night he played much better in the 3rd when paired with Pyatt and Lapierre but we can't pay 8million to a 4th line center. This is being overlooked because the team is playing great and winning, but sooner or later ... won't be good.

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 11:00 AM
The Right Price

A sweet win!! Gotta give credit to the team, and to Martin. Extra plusses for every one except Gom and Gio. PK sits next game or substitutes for Gorges. Love the depth we are currently showcasing. Go Veber..!!

The Right Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 11:03 AM
The Right Price

Edit. Sorry double post.

The Right Price is offline   Reply With Quote