HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"A hurricane by any name..." Hurricanes at Predators 12.04.10

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-05-2010, 10:20 AM
  #51
Legionnaire11
Registered User
 
Legionnaire11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hendersonville
Country: United States
Posts: 2,750
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
I can't believe no one is talking about that tic tac toe goal from Kostitsyn(between the legs drop pass) to Erat(no look one-toucher) to O'Reilly(perfectly timed one-timer) for the goal.
Nobody can believe the Preds actually executed such an awesome play!

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 10:59 AM
  #52
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD
 
BigFatCat999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Campbell, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 10,048
vCash: 500
What's interesting is that when Legwand comes back the roster might solidify more

SHORe line
KEG/EKG line
and then the Legwand line

If Trotz keeps Sully-O'Reilly-Hornqvist, Erat-Goc-Kostitsyn lines together what should the 3rd line look like with Legwand back?

?-Legwand-Ward

Sully-ORLY-Horny
Erat-Goc-SK74
Tootoo-Legwand-Ward ????
Wilson-Smithson-Dumont ??????

BigFatCat999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 11:13 AM
  #53
Fortheloveofthegame
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 1,192
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
What's interesting is that when Legwand comes back the roster might solidify more

SHORe line
KEG/EKG line
and then the Legwand line

If Trotz keeps Sully-O'Reilly-Hornqvist, Erat-Goc-Kostitsyn lines together what should the 3rd line look like with Legwand back?

?-Legwand-Ward

Sully-ORLY-Horny
Erat-Goc-SK74
Tootoo-Legwand-Ward ????
Wilson-Smithson-Dumont ??????
It has been Sully-O'Reilly-Wilson the past three games, and they are creating tons of great chances. It will be interesting to see what happens when Legwand comes back. Spaling has done a great job on PK, but Legwand does too

Fortheloveofthegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 11:14 AM
  #54
101st_fan
I taught Yoda
 
101st_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Some Army fort
Country: United States
Posts: 5,532
vCash: 500
5 points separating 3rd and 13th position in the West. The Preds need to keep beating the teams from the East, stay competitive in an extremely tight division, and get a few breaks before I will feel comfortable about the standings.

Now to watch the game on the DVR.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 11:33 AM
  #55
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD
 
BigFatCat999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Campbell, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 10,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteandblue View Post
It has been Sully-O'Reilly-Wilson the past three games, and they are creating tons of great chances. It will be interesting to see what happens when Legwand comes back. Spaling has done a great job on PK, but Legwand does too

Sully-ORLY-Wilson
Erat-Goc-SK74
Hornqvist-Legwand-Dumont
???? Offensive line and you can see the wings rotating in the top two lines.
Tootoo-Smithson-Ward ???? 2nd most used line combo per dobber hockey.

What really becomes a cluster is when Lombardi comes back and everyone is healthy. Dumont to permascratch? Legwand to wing?

BigFatCat999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 11:43 AM
  #56
hatedandproud
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: On the MBTA
Posts: 296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
5 points separating 3rd and 13th position in the West. The Preds need to keep beating the teams from the East, stay competitive in an extremely tight division, and get a few breaks before I will feel comfortable about the standings.

Now to watch the game on the DVR.
Hey 101, (if you can) when you're watching, could you keep an eye out for a play that JP made (actually didn't make.)
I think it was in the first. He gets the puck in the slot, with no carolina player around him, and immediately looks for someone to pass to instead of taking a shot.


I'm thinking that was one of the things that coach T was upset about leading to JPs benching.
Thanks.

hatedandproud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 12:06 PM
  #57
101st_fan
I taught Yoda
 
101st_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Some Army fort
Country: United States
Posts: 5,532
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatedandproud View Post
Hey 101, (if you can) when you're watching, could you keep an eye out for a play that JP made (actually didn't make.)
I think it was in the first. He gets the puck in the slot, with no carolina player around him, and immediately looks for someone to pass to instead of taking a shot.


I'm thinking that was one of the things that coach T was upset about leading to JPs benching.
Thanks.
I'll look for it.

The one thing we tend to forget about JP is that he's been primarily a setup guy in Nashville. His best numbers here came with a healthy Sullivan and Arnott on his line ... pass to Arnott as he camped in the left circle, get the assist. His goals came from being the second or third goal scoring threat on the line, not the primary guy. This season he doesn't have those type linemates, yet he still seems to revert to that look for the pass rather than shoot mentality.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 12:25 PM
  #58
glenngineer
Registered User
 
glenngineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,030
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post

Sully-ORLY-Wilson
Erat-Goc-SK74
Hornqvist-Legwand-Dumont
???? Offensive line and you can see the wings rotating in the top two lines.
Tootoo-Smithson-Ward ???? 2nd most used line combo per dobber hockey.

What really becomes a cluster is when Lombardi comes back and everyone is healthy. Dumont to permascratch? Legwand to wing?
I think Dumont is in deep trouble. As I watched the game last night I started to realize he does not fit the style of play here anymore. I like Dumont, always have but he does not have the legs or defensive mindedness to play this system that Trotz wants him to. It would be a shame to lose him but when Legwand comes back who do you sit, Dumont or Spaling? From what I've seen lately, Spaling, although not producing offensively, is a tremendous penalty killer and is a huge reason the PK is looking as good as it is. No way he sits any of Tootoo, Smithson or Ward and with the top 2 lines clicking, Dumont is the odd man out.

Now here comes the kicker, what do we do if and when Lombardi comes back? Spaling seems to be the odd man out but I don't think he sits although the 4th line that we have right now is probably best suited for what we do. So say we do sit Spaling and have a healthy Legwand and Lombardi, move one of them to wing, let them use their speed and open things up for Hornqvist? I could live with that.

I think it would suck for Spaling though since he is such a good penalty killer. I remember in the third last night, we're on the kill, Spaling is by the left faceoff dot and someone is about to shoot from the right point or dot and Spaling gets all the way over to block the shot. I have no idea how he did it because he was not in a place to do so but hustled across ice. Honestly, one of the best hustle plays I've seen in a long time in any game I've watched.

glenngineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 12:58 PM
  #59
101st_fan
I taught Yoda
 
101st_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Some Army fort
Country: United States
Posts: 5,532
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
I think Dumont is in deep trouble. As I watched the game last night I started to realize he does not fit the style of play here anymore. I like Dumont, always have but he does not have the legs or defensive mindedness to play this system that Trotz wants him to. It would be a shame to lose him but when Legwand comes back who do you sit, Dumont or Spaling? From what I've seen lately, Spaling, although not producing offensively, is a tremendous penalty killer and is a huge reason the PK is looking as good as it is. No way he sits any of Tootoo, Smithson or Ward and with the top 2 lines clicking, Dumont is the odd man out.

Now here comes the kicker, what do we do if and when Lombardi comes back? Spaling seems to be the odd man out but I don't think he sits although the 4th line that we have right now is probably best suited for what we do. So say we do sit Spaling and have a healthy Legwand and Lombardi, move one of them to wing, let them use their speed and open things up for Hornqvist? I could live with that.

I think it would suck for Spaling though since he is such a good penalty killer. I remember in the third last night, we're on the kill, Spaling is by the left faceoff dot and someone is about to shoot from the right point or dot and Spaling gets all the way over to block the shot. I have no idea how he did it because he was not in a place to do so but hustled across ice. Honestly, one of the best hustle plays I've seen in a long time in any game I've watched.
JP needs to remember that this team plays defense first. He's lost a step, doesn't win enough of the battles on the boards, and isn't shooting enough. The skills are still there, but, the mix of linemates doesn't fit his style of play right now.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 01:06 PM
  #60
101st_fan
I taught Yoda
 
101st_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Some Army fort
Country: United States
Posts: 5,532
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatedandproud View Post
Hey 101, (if you can) when you're watching, could you keep an eye out for a play that JP made (actually didn't make.)
I think it was in the first. He gets the puck in the slot, with no carolina player around him, and immediately looks for someone to pass to instead of taking a shot.


I'm thinking that was one of the things that coach T was upset about leading to JPs benching.
Thanks.
If it's play I think you're talking about it was around 14:30 left in the 2nd. JP gets the puck at the top of the right circle, looks at the goal, then looks for a pass. I'm not too mad at him for not shooting that one. Pitkanen was around the dot and moving back towards the center of the ice, Cam Ward was relatively square to JP, if he takes that shot there is a low percentage of it going in and there was no help down low to get a rebound. Odds are it's an easy save for Cam and a quick exit of the zone. What happened was JP maintained puck possession, Hornqvist gets a couple looks at the net (missing twice), and the Preds get another 15-20 seconds in the offensive zone.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 01:08 PM
  #61
token grinder
formerly sirryan189
 
token grinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Franklin
Country: United States
Posts: 4,159
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post

Sully-ORLY-Wilson
Erat-Goc-SK74
Hornqvist-Legwand-Dumont
???? Offensive line and you can see the wings rotating in the top two lines.
Tootoo-Smithson-Ward ???? 2nd most used line combo per dobber hockey.

What really becomes a cluster is when Lombardi comes back and everyone is healthy. Dumont to permascratch? Legwand to wing?
i think with those lines we look at lombardi centering dumont and horn, and legwand dropping to the line with smithson and tootoo and ward sits.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 01:09 PM
  #62
token grinder
formerly sirryan189
 
token grinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Franklin
Country: United States
Posts: 4,159
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatedandproud View Post
Hey 101, (if you can) when you're watching, could you keep an eye out for a play that JP made (actually didn't make.)
I think it was in the first. He gets the puck in the slot, with no carolina player around him, and immediately looks for someone to pass to instead of taking a shot.


I'm thinking that was one of the things that coach T was upset about leading to JPs benching.
Thanks.

i think that play right there was jp being too good of a teammate. he looked at the net and then looked for spaling.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 01:12 PM
  #63
predfan24
Registered User
 
predfan24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,139
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
What's interesting is that when Legwand comes back the roster might solidify more

SHORe line
KEG/EKG line
and then the Legwand line

If Trotz keeps Sully-O'Reilly-Hornqvist, Erat-Goc-Kostitsyn lines together what should the 3rd line look like with Legwand back?

?-Legwand-Ward

Sully-ORLY-Horny
Erat-Goc-SK74
Tootoo-Legwand-Ward ????
Wilson-Smithson-Dumont ??????
I'd like to see

Sully-O"reilly-Wilson
Erat-Goc-SK
Horny-Leggy-Dumont
Tootoo-Smitty-Ward

Perhaps switch Sully and Horny

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 01:13 PM
  #64
David Singleton
HFB Partner
 
David Singleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Dickson, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 1,227
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
i think with those lines we look at lombardi centering dumont and horn, and legwand dropping to the line with smithson and tootoo and ward sits.
Or....

If JP stays in the doghouse, Legwand moves to wing with Lombardi's return and Dumont sits. I can see that taking place with the way that JP's ice team is being reduced the past two seasons. It allows Trotz to ice both Spaling and Legwand- making the PK even more solid, making some two-way line even better with the addition of Legwand, and keeping a strong energy line intact.

JP has been that forward that's tough to place on this year's roster (with a one scoring line and two two-way line approach) to me.

David Singleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 01:19 PM
  #65
glenngineer
Registered User
 
glenngineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,030
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Singleton View Post
Or....

If JP stays in the doghouse, Legwand moves to wing with Lombardi's return and Dumont sits. I can see that taking place with the way that JP's ice team is being reduced the past two seasons. It allows Trotz to ice both Spaling and Legwand- making the PK even more solid, making some two-way line even better with the addition of Legwand, and keeping a strong energy line intact.

JP has been that forward that's tough to place on this year's roster (with a one scoring line and two two-way line approach) to me.
If it's Legwand, Lombardi and Hornqvist, and Spaling is in the lineup, who sits in addition to Dumont? Tootoo, Smithson or Ward would have to sit.

glenngineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 01:22 PM
  #66
101st_fan
I taught Yoda
 
101st_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Some Army fort
Country: United States
Posts: 5,532
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
i think that play right there was jp being too good of a teammate. he looked at the net and then looked for spaling.
If it's the one I'm talking about it was a pass to Hornqvist.

He's high in the slot, goalie looking at him, no support in the zone at all .... I don't fault him for waiting until there was support which resulted in a couple of shot attempts.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 01:32 PM
  #67
roseyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,065
vCash: 500
Dumont's time has come and gone. That doesn't mean he's a bad player but he doesn't fit this team at all. You can't pay a guy 4ml to play on the 4th line. I hope he gets moved. Trotz has his favorites and Dumont's not one of them. It's all about linemate unless you can create your own shot. We don't have that many players who can do that and Trotz doesn't know how to coach them either. Look at Wilson he gets on a better line and his play has looked better. The same with SK. I hope Dumont realizes this and says go ahead and get me out of here because Dumont can help other teams. I hope they trade him to the Eastern Conference.

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 01:56 PM
  #68
David Singleton
HFB Partner
 
David Singleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Dickson, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 1,227
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
If it's Legwand, Lombardi and Hornqvist, and Spaling is in the lineup, who sits in addition to Dumont? Tootoo, Smithson or Ward would have to sit.
Probably some combination/rotation of Tootoo or Ward (assuming everyone else's performance is acceptable).

I could see Joel Ward or Jordin Tootoo being traded at the deadline if Poile thought they could be part of a package to bring in additional help (where ever that help may be needed).

Ward's contract expires after this season. Tootoo has another year (with a raise next year).


Last edited by David Singleton: 12-05-2010 at 02:06 PM.
David Singleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 02:03 PM
  #69
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD
 
BigFatCat999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Campbell, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 10,048
vCash: 500
Of the forwards here are the UFAs.

Sullivan
Ward
Goc
Smithson
Belak

RFAs

O'Reilly
SK
Spaling

Of the UfAs, I could only see Goc resigning. Ward can be replaced in house. Smithson can be replaced by Spaling. Belak is roster fodder and can be replaced by anyone.

The RFAs will be resigned and fill the open spots leaving a gaping hole at goal scorer.

BigFatCat999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 02:10 PM
  #70
David Singleton
HFB Partner
 
David Singleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Dickson, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 1,227
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Of the forwards here are the UFAs.

Sullivan
Ward
Goc
Smithson
Belak

RFAs

O'Reilly
SK
Spaling

Of the UfAs, I could only see Goc resigning. Ward can be replaced in house. Smithson can be replaced by Spaling. Belak is roster fodder and can be replaced by anyone.

The RFAs will be resigned and fill the open spots leaving a gaping hole at goal scorer.
I essentially agree although I could see Smithson re-signing if he continues his fine play on this new energy line.

Sullivan could be re-signed as well, but it's a long shot and he'd likely have to take a cut to about $2 or $2.5 million.

David Singleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 02:14 PM
  #71
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD
 
BigFatCat999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Campbell, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 10,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Singleton View Post
Sullivan could be re-signed as well, but it's a long shot and he'd likely have to take a cut to about $2 or $2.5 million.
I don't know. After seeing what's happening with Dumont do you thin he would take a pay cut and re-sign?

BigFatCat999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 02:20 PM
  #72
David Singleton
HFB Partner
 
David Singleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Dickson, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 1,227
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
I don't know. After seeing what's happening with Dumont do you thin he would take a pay cut and re-sign?
Depends what his production is at the end of the season. You might also be able to convince him to do if he was convinced the budget was going to be higher for next season (for whatever reason- no prediction or speculation on my part).

David Singleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 02:59 PM
  #73
hatedandproud
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: On the MBTA
Posts: 296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
If it's play I think you're talking about it was around 14:30 left in the 2nd. JP gets the puck at the top of the right circle, looks at the goal, then looks for a pass. I'm not too mad at him for not shooting that one. Pitkanen was around the dot and moving back towards the center of the ice, Cam Ward was relatively square to JP, if he takes that shot there is a low percentage of it going in and there was no help down low to get a rebound. Odds are it's an easy save for Cam and a quick exit of the zone. What happened was JP maintained puck possession, Hornqvist gets a couple looks at the net (missing twice), and the Preds get another 15-20 seconds in the offensive zone.
Thanks 101...that sounds like the play. I do remember the carolina player moving toward JP from the left but I didn't think that ward was actually set yet. That's why I thought he should have pulled the trigger. Thanks for checking that out.

I agree that he doesn't fit in the scheme of things this year and fully expect him to be sitting once legwand comes back.

hatedandproud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 05:53 PM
  #74
darth5
Rowsdower!
 
darth5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Smashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 2,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
... It would be a shame to lose him but when Legwand comes back who do you sit, Dumont or Spaling? From what I've seen lately, Spaling, although not producing offensively, is a tremendous penalty killer and is a huge reason the PK is looking as good as it is. No way he sits any of Tootoo, Smithson or Ward and with the top 2 lines clicking, Dumont is the odd man out...
Great point, I think Spaling has carved out a crucial niche for himself on this roster in the last 10 games or so. Agree with much of what has been said about Dumont now being out of sync with where the roster spot available on this team.

From the outside looking in it sure appears they are trying to send him a message. We have no way to know what kind of discussions have happened between JP and DP/Trotz. But the guy gets less and less icetime and goes down the depth chart except in a pinch.

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 02:15 AM
  #75
sparkle twin
I luv u summertime
 
sparkle twin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Hendersonville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 2,919
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Quote:
I can't believe no one is talking about that tic tac toe goal from Kostitsyn(between the legs drop pass) to Erat(no look one-toucher) to O'Reilly(perfectly timed one-timer) for the goal.
That. was. awesome.


I hope that we are starting to see the SK we were hoping for with this increase in ice time.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:46 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.