HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Rangers WANT Richards

Old
12-05-2010, 09:09 AM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
Eh, I wouldn't say Giroux is >>>>>>> better then Dubinsky. Similar goals/points just looking at statisics. I would say Giroux is a better player then Dubinsky, but the gap is not that large as you make it out to be.
yeah I tend to agree with that.
Giroux has come out and played really well this year and that has gotten him a lot of recognition, but even at this point 1/4 of a season doesn't establish you as a NHL star.
Giroux>Dubinsky but not by that much - and you also have to consider that he is surrounded by the deepest 4 lines in the NHL.

ChrisKreider20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 09:16 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Sidorkiewicz View Post
I disagree, I think it is comparable.

Giraldi = Oduya - top 4 defenseman signed for a few years to a decent contract. Oduya also regularly was paired on NJ's first pairing as a shut down dman like Giraldi.
Grachev =/< Cormier - Cormier was NJ's top prospect, Grachev is not Rangers top prospect (Kreider). Dallas are going to want a forward given they are losing a forward so I don't think they would want McDonagh.
Anisimov = Bergfors. I think these two have similar potential. Dallas needs a ready made center to fill the first line (much like Atlanta did with regards to getting a ready made winger for Kovy). Christiansen is too inconsistent, Boyle has been good but his current goalscoring numbers may be a fluke. Anisimov is the only option imo.
1st round pick is a necessary as with all blockbuster rental deals, if NY are smart like NJ they would ask for Dallas 2nd round pick also in return.
you can disagree, but Oduya is not on the same level as Girardi is in terms of playing the position.

Grachev may have his warts, and while his on ice capabilities may not match that of Patrice, he doesn't have the off-ice issues that cancel out any advantage Patrice has over Grachev.

Anisimov - Bergfors is a wash. I also agree that if a deal is to be made, Anisimov is part of the deal. In fact he's the main component.

The Rangers are not parting with Girardi in addition to Anisimov for a rental. Not going to happen.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 09:23 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Reynolds View Post
Except that Giroux >>>>>> Dubinsky
I like Giroux, think he's going to be an excellent player for years and years to come, but playing on a team that sports guys like Carter, Richards, Briere can realy help enhance one's stat.

Dubinsky on the other hand has played primarily with Callahan and Anisimov/Stepan this season and is just one point behind.

I'd love to see Dubinsky/Giroux stats if on the others team.

If Giroux is better and in my opinion that is debatable, it's not by much.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 09:32 AM
Baba Ganoush

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
To N.Y. Rangers:

Brad Richards

To Dallas:

Michal Rozival
Michael Del Zotto
Brandon Dubinsky
1st Round Pick 2011
big time overpayment from NYR.

Baba Ganoush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 10:00 AM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Sidorkiewicz View Post
Hate to give you a dose of reality but Dallas will be the one dictating the deal not New York.

They are not going to want Rozsival if he is going to become an UFA next season. Basically New York has to dump Rozsival in another deal or demote him if they want to be serious in the Richards sweepstakes (and it will be a sweepstakes).

Also, there will be no conditional first round pick. A first round pick has to be included (without condition) whether Richards is going to sign in the off season or not.

As mention earlier, if you use the Kovy/Hossa template Dallas will probably ask for Girardi, Anismov, Grachev and a 1st round pick in exchange for Richards and a dman they are happy to give up (Daley?).

Lastly, Dallas has an internal salary cap, they won't be taking on any salary dumps (Gilroy, White etc)

Richards will decide where he wants to go (if he even does go) and if he says the Rangers, the offer I listed would be MORE than fair. Also those salary dumps are all coming off the books at the end of the season -- no long term commitment from Dallas.

They get a Top 4 D for next season for $3m, a young effective center, and a high end prospect and a conditional first rounder for a guy who decides where he goes. Not half bad.

And as I said in my post if the price exceeds this already borderline generous offer, the Rangers will balk and say, "We'll take our chances July 1st."

I'd speculate that even this offer may be more than Dallas ends up with, no deal in place means no assets if Richards decides to bolt anyway.

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 10:20 AM
bernmeister

People, PEOPLE, PEOPLE!!!

Let's not get in a frenzy about this.
Richards has a value, based on what others would pay, and based on whether or not he is a 30 or whatever game rental.

He also makes more sense for a team like CBH, cap issues not withstanding, assuming Campbell could be moved to fit cap, because Chicago has assets + depth.

NYR can't overpay, don't have enough talent can afford to do that.
No deal is better than bad deal; therefore, no big trade upfront, one shot.

However, the following makes some degree of sense:
NYR competing w/others, offer McDonagh, and only McDonagh,
ONLY for the right to negotiate w/Richards now as to establishing a contract (say, 1 year, thereafter 5 successive one year extensions at club option, w/player after first year having right to buy out).

In that scenario, Richards remains Dallas property, and if traded, can be traded to anyone, but only for contract for balance of year if Richards accepts offer to sign w/Rangers. If Richards does not, then only out McDonagh.

If Richards signs promptly and NYR want him for balance of the year, they have to make an additional trade with additional assets for the privilege.
On the one hand those assets would have to be significant, on the other they can't be excessive. This is truly great player and they are not a dime a dozen. By the same token this is not/Malkin/Stamkos.

Patience, patience.
Richards knows NYR will offer top dollar possible under circumstances.
$$$ is not everything, NYR may not be the only high offer and he has to decide what he wants. But that Richards will want a big contract gives NYR, along with a few others, inside edge. Therefore, don't panic/blow this by giving away too much. Proper amount NYR can handle, yes; [particularly massive] overpayment, no.

One thing is logical; Richards is less likely to want to stay with NYR, or any other team, that has gutted so much of its assets to get him that they are no longer as appealing to play for in terms of potential upside.

I haven't given extensive thought to such a follow up deal, but it might be something like:

stage 1 McDonagh
stage 2 add Girardi + Roszival (who probably gets dealt to SJS), and possibly a throw in
stage 3 add Grachev, Boyle, two #2s, and Avery
to get Richards now, + Dallas gives up a #1.

Before everybody gets their whatever in an uproar, if I am remembering correctly, Dallas is paying $$ to Avery already and not getting anything out of it; assuming the rules would work like this, and I'm not sure they do, they might be better off owning 100% of the contract, which I think is not that long, expires next year, and make an improved financial move, dealing Avery for, say, half price.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 10:29 AM
Zip15

I think I can distill 180+ posts into one sentence: "Rangers fans want Richards, but don't want to give up what it's going to take to get Richards and a role player--Girardi, Anisimov, prospect, and 1st rounder--and, as a result, they won't compete for the Cup this year and they'll try to get him on July 1 without having to give up those assets."

And that's a fair approach.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 10:31 AM
Tony D63
Tortsless Rangers

Trade Idea: NYR/DAL

Brad Richards, Trevor Daley, If Brad Richards doesnt resign with NYR the Dallas Stars will not have the First round pick of the New York Rangers in 2012.

For years we never had a top center, we acquired Marian Gaborik last year, but we need him to explode, and the type of player Brad Richards is we could finally see Gaborik hit the 50 mark, Richards won the Stanley Cup with Tampa Bay with Torts, we could really use Richards in New York.

Artem Anisimov, Michal Rozsival, Pavel Valentenko, NYR first round pick in 2012 (If Richards signs with the Rangers).

Losing Brad Richards will defiantly hurt them, but acquiring a young center with some pretty serious potential, is a start. Artem possesses all the tools to be a dominant power center he has size (6'4"), skating ability, vision, soft hands, and a great feel for the game, one thing he needs to work out is he needs to gain more muscle, to complete his game. Everybody thinks Rozival is a "terrible" defenseman, actually he's not, but his salary is alittle high which makes him disliked around the league. He's having a good year, and is defiantly a top 3 defenseman on the Rangers. Has a good combination of passing and shooting skills from the point. Is a good-sized defender with sound mobility. When we found out Valentenko was cut we were really disappointed he had a great pre-season and we were defiantly shocked he was cut. Pavel has a big shot -- one that earned him hardest AHL shot honors in the 2007-08 season. He combines that with a physical game that borders on, but never crosses into, dirty play. Valentenko's been described as one of the most-hated players in the AHL and combines an ability to get under opponent's skin with the willingness to back it up. His offensive abilities are limited, but he's able to play a solid fundamental game: making the smart first pass, starting the rush, and taking care of his own end.

On both sides I feel this is a fair deal, Dallas gives up one of the best centers in the league, and in return they get a potential second/first liner, a top 4 defenseman, a top 6 defenseman, and a first round pick for 2012. I know Richard has some serious skills, but his contract will be up, so no one is going to be giving up a lot of a players. If probably 3 or 4 years left of his prime and his contract is up at end of the season, it will be much easier to acquire him in a trade.

Last edited by Tony D63: 12-05-2010 at 10:45 AM.
Tony D63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 10:36 AM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
I think I can distill 180+ posts into one sentence: "Rangers fans want Richards, but don't want to give up what it's going to take to get Richards and a role player--Girardi, Anisimov, prospect, and 1st rounder--and, as a result, they won't compete for the Cup this year and they'll try to get him on July 1 without having to give up those assets."

And that's a fair approach.
How are you so sure that it's going to take Girardi, Anisimov, prospect, and a 1st? Do you know something?

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 10:38 AM
CerebralGenesis

So Dallas gives up Richards and potentially 2 picks? I wouldn't bet on that

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 10:42 AM
Tony D63
Tortsless Rangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
So Dallas gives up Richards and potentially 2 picks? I wouldn't bet on that
Yes you got me there, that would not be fair, losing Richards and if he signs with another team losing a first, would be pretty tuff.

Tony D63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 10:51 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaborik Scores View Post

Brad Richards, Trevor Daley, If Brad Richards doesnt resign with NYR the Dallas Stars will not have the First round pick of the New York Rangers in 2012.

For years we never had a top center, we acquired Marian Gaborik last year, but we need him to explode, and the type of player Brad Richards is we could finally see Gaborik hit the 50 mark, Richards won the Stanley Cup with Tampa Bay with Torts, we could really use Richards in New York.

Artem Anisimov, Michal Rozsival, Pavel Valentenko, NYR first round pick in 2012 (If Richards signs with the Rangers).

Losing Brad Richards will defiantly hurt them, but acquiring a young center with some pretty serious potential, is a start. Artem possesses all the tools to be a dominant power center he has size (6'4"), skating ability, vision, soft hands, and a great feel for the game, one thing he needs to work out is he needs to gain more muscle, to complete his game. Everybody thinks Rozival is a "terrible" defenseman, actually he's not, but his salary is alittle high which makes him disliked around the league. He's having a good year, and is defiantly a top 3 defenseman on the Rangers. Has a good combination of passing and shooting skills from the point. Is a good-sized defender with sound mobility. When we found out Valentenko was cut we were really disappointed he had a great pre-season and we were defiantly shocked he was cut. Pavel has a big shot -- one that earned him hardest AHL shot honors in the 2007-08 season. He combines that with a physical game that borders on, but never crosses into, dirty play. Valentenko's been described as one of the most-hated players in the AHL and combines an ability to get under opponent's skin with the willingness to back it up. His offensive abilities are limited, but he's able to play a solid fundamental game: making the smart first pass, starting the rush, and taking care of his own end.

On both sides I feel this is a fair deal, Dallas gives up one of the best centers in the league, and in return they get a potential second/first liner, a top 4 defenseman, a top 6 defenseman, and a first round pick for 2012. I know Richard has some serious skills, but his contract will be up, so no one is going to be giving up a lot of a players. If probably 3 or 4 years left of his prime and his contract is up at end of the season, it will be much easier to acquire him in a trade.
i dont like the idea of giving up Anisimov just yet...he is still young and why trade him. i think he can be a very good player for the rangers. i wouldnt trade Anisimov for a few months of Richards. no freaking way.

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 11:03 AM
Black Tank

If the Rangers keep playing the hardnosed, physical hockey they have been this season and stick around in the PO race they may well pass on Richards if Dallas asks for too much.

Black Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 11:10 AM
Richter35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Using the Kovalchuk deal as precedent, I'd guess the package would have to look like:

Girardi + Anisimov + Werek + 1st

Like the Kovy deal, there's a top-4 defenseman, promising young forward, above-average prospect, and a 1st rounder. Girardi is better than Oduya, Bergfors had more value than Anisimov has, and Werek and Cormier are similar prospects.
Skimming through the thread I saw something like this a few times, i.e. comparisons to the Kovy deal for Richards. Without opening a can of worms, before Kovy died and went to Jersey, the guy was a star, someone people would (and still) pay to see. Richards doesn't have the same marquee value that would pull down such a deal. Roszival is better than Oduya anyways, and Sather hasn't traded a 1st rounder in almost 10 years.

The day Glen "I won't trade Dubinsky for a signed Heatley" Sather trades something like that for a rental is the day someone on this message board breaks their d-ck off in Adriana Lima. It's not happening.

This isn't $80 mill payroll days where you can buy replacements, Glen has stuck to the plan post-lockout, I don't see him deviating from that now. As others have mentioned, any deal for Richards contemplates a long-term signing, its no secret Torts has a man-crush on him from his days in TB. The only way that can happen is if one of the bigger tickets are moved. Clearly Drury and Redden aren't going anywhere, so it has to be Roszival. Thus, the only deal I see Glen pulling the trigger on is as follows, after finally delivering the coup de grace to Todd White for the cap room:

Roszival, Frolov, Grachev, one of bourque/horak/hagelin, 2nd (MAYBE a 1st instead, if he had to)

for

Richards, Daley

my $.02, feel free to tell me how wrong I am

edit: pro-rated, that deal also saves Dallas $3.2MM in real money, and Roszival is on the books next year for only $3MM.

Richter35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 11:19 AM
Caseman

Why do a lot of these proposals include Daley, the best skater on our team? He has value, so I don't know why people throw him into these trades so nonchalantly.

Anyway, Dallas would have to go in the tank for them to consider any of these. Richards isn't asking to be traded. There really is no incentive for Dallas to hand him over freely for all the boys and girls of New York. If you need to dump salary, do it with another team. We don't need to trade with you. If there is a trade to be made, there will be a lot of bidders, bidding against one another. So stop trying to cut corners here. Dallas does not have to trade with you. Need cap space? Dump your crap somewhere else and then give Dallas a proposal. Thanks, love.

Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 11:23 AM
Lars The GOAT Eller
WildGranlund

Send a message via Skype™ to Lars The GOAT Eller
Richards for

Anisimov
Grachev
1st

or Anisimov
Grachev
2nd
Mcdonagh/Valentenko

Lars The GOAT Eller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 11:27 AM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richter35 View Post
Roszival, Frolov, Grachev, one of bourque/horak/hagelin, 2nd (MAYBE a 1st instead, if he had to)

for

Richards, Daley

my $.02, feel free to tell me how wrong I am

edit: pro-rated, that deal also saves Dallas $3.2MM in real money, and Roszival is on the books next year for only $3MM.
Can you tell me why Dallas does that? Dallas gets a middling of players who will be gone in a year or two, a prospect, a low level prospect and maybe a 1st? Thats garbage for Dallas. If if Dallas was way out of it, why in the world would they do that? Only way the NYR is going to get him, is if Del Zotto or Staal is coming back.

Niewendyk isn't going to say "Well Sather wants him really badly, so even though we're winning our division, I guess I'l trade him because he asked nicely, and we get this sorta ok players in return so its cool".

The Rangers will not get Richards for a package like that. All Rangers fans should know this by now, Dallas fans have said it on every page of this thread. You're not getting one of the best centers in the NHL for something that doesn't help Dallas at all.

If Dallas is in it, Richards isn't going anywhere without overpayment, which would be something like Stepan, Staal and a 1st and a couple prospects, which won't happen. If they're not, Dallas needs a top prospect coming back, a first, and another prospect.

Something like

Richards
Daley
Glennie
3rd

Stepan/Anismov
MDZ
Low Level Prospect
1st
2nd.

Which Rangers fans will scream and say nooo too much we'l get him at July 1st. Stop comparing this to the Hossa or Kovalchuk trade. Atlanta was not going to retain either Hossa or Kovalchuk, they had to trade him. Dallas still has a great shot at resigning Richards, he wants to stay, so unless you can make a real offer, Dallas won't move him.

Last edited by Faidh ar Rud Eigin: 12-05-2010 at 11:34 AM.
Faidh ar Rud Eigin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 11:45 AM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errettung View Post
Can you tell me why Dallas does that? Dallas gets a middling of players who will be gone in a year or two, a prospect, a low level prospect and maybe a 1st? Thats garbage for Dallas. If if Dallas was way out of it, why in the world would they do that? Only way the NYR is going to get him, is if Del Zotto or Staal is coming back.

Niewendyk isn't going to say "Well Sather wants him really badly, so even though we're winning our division, I guess I'l trade him because he asked nicely, and we get this sorta ok players in return so its cool".

The Rangers will not get Richards for a package like that. All Rangers fans should know this by now, Dallas fans have said it on every page of this thread. You're not getting one of the best centers in the NHL for something that doesn't help Dallas at all.

If Dallas is in it, Richards isn't going anywhere without overpayment, which would be something like Stepan, Staal and a 1st and a couple prospects, which won't happen. If they're not, Dallas needs a top prospect coming back, a first, and another prospect.

Something like

Richards
Daley
Glennie
3rd

Stepan/Anismov
MDZ
Low Level Prospect
1st
2nd.

Which Rangers fans will scream and say nooo too much we'l get him at July 1st. Stop comparing this to the Hossa or Kovalchuk trade. Atlanta was not going to retain either Hossa or Kovalchuk, they had to trade him. Dallas still has a great shot at resigning Richards, he wants to stay, so unless you can make a real offer, Dallas won't move him.
This is why fans are not GM's. If Dallas is looking to trade Richards it's because they either will not be able to re-sign him or he does not want to re-sign there (Also Read: I'm not saying he doesn't want to player there anymore). If it comes down to the deadline and this is the case, Dallas will get a return similar to or less then what Atlanta got for Kovalchuk.

In your proposal your basically asking for 3 1st round picks, a 2nd, and a 3rd. Not going to happen for the chance to have Richards for may be half the season if he doesn't want to re-sign there. Daly and Glennie would be nice additions to a deal. I just don't see the Rangers moving MDZ or Stepan. I could see Anisimov moved, though, if Stepan keeps developing. Mostly because he will be do for a bit of a raise in the off season while Stepan has two more years of his ELC. That deal also does not work cap wise. something like $9 million coming to the Rangers and only approx $2 million going to the Stars.

Time and time again players like this have become available, whether it's because they are pending UFA's or don't want to play for their current team anymore, and time and time again they do not get anywhere close to their true trade value.

This situation is no different. If Richards is made available, that means he more then likely will not be back with Dallas next season and the Stars want to get something for him before July 1st.

If the Stars think they will be able to retain him, he will not be shopped around to the league.

Last edited by UAGoalieGuy: 12-05-2010 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Corrected my run-on sentence.
UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 12:40 PM
Richter35

the above, plus the underlying aspect of my post is that the rangers don't NEED Richards. They'd like him a lot sure, but they're doing pretty well as is (so are the Stars), and may be able to get him for free in the summer. With this kind of CBA uncertainty + ownership uncertainty in Dallas, its hard to say what the future for the player with that club is. and what the market would look like next summer. I don't know if many teams are willing to dump a whole bunch of assets right now for what may just be a rental.

Staal for Richards? PLEASE

Richter35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 12:43 PM
vofty

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
This is why fans are not GM's. If Dallas is looking to trade Richards it's because they either will not be able to re-sign him or he does not want to re-sign there (Also Read: I'm not saying he doesn't want to player there anymore). If it comes down to the deadline and this is the case, Dallas will get a return similar to or less then what Atlanta got for Kovalchuk.

In your proposal your basically asking for 3 1st round picks, a 2nd, and a 3rd. Not going to happen for the chance to have Richards for may be half the season if he doesn't want to re-sign there. Daly and Glennie would be nice additions to a deal. I just don't see the Rangers moving MDZ or Stepan. I could see Anisimov moved, though, if Stepan keeps developing. Mostly because he will be do for a bit of a raise in the off season while Stepan has two more years of his ELC. That deal also does not work cap wise. something like $9 million coming to the Rangers and only approx $2 million going to the Stars.

Time and time again players like this have become available, whether it's because they are pending UFA's or don't want to play for their current team anymore, and time and time again they do not get anywhere close to their true trade value.

This situation is no different. If Richards is made available, that means he more then likely will not be back with Dallas next season and the Stars want to get something for him before July 1st.

If the Stars think they will be able to retain him, he will not be shopped around to the league.
Several things
First- Richards would have to waive his NTC to go anywhere and he isn't going to waive it for a team he wouldn't sign with for the next year. Richards does not like change (it took him 2 years to feel at home in Dallas and now that he does he doesn't want to leave), if he waived his NTC to go somewhere he would sign there.

Second- The Rangers would be doing this to essentially avoid the trade deadline and a bidding war with other teams for Richard's services. To try to get Richards prior to the trade deadline a team is going to have to blow the Stars away with an offer because the Stars know that come the trade deadline several teams with good assets will be seeking Richards' services.

Third- The Stars are not shopping Richards. The Stars are currently second in the conference and from a financial standpoint making the playoffs is important. As long as the Stars are in playoff contention Richards WILL NOT BE MOVED, regardless of how much your particular team may want him (Leafs fans I'm looking at you). To the poster I quoted I absolutely agree with your last 2 lines, Richards will only be moved when it is made clear that the Stars cannot retain him, and also if the Stars are out of playoff contention. But as it stands now Richards does want to stay in Dallas and Joe is going to do his damnedest to keep Richards, because he is the exact kind of player Joe wants to build this team around. The idea of moving Richards will not be entertained till a few more things are clarified on the Stars end (i.e. playoff likelihood and the chances of getting a deal done with Richards).

vofty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 01:05 PM
JeffMangum
Debaser

Quote:
the above, plus the underlying aspect of my post is that the rangers don't NEED Richards. They'd like him a lot sure, but they're doing pretty well as is (so are the Stars), and may be able to get him for free in the summer. With this kind of CBA uncertainty + ownership uncertainty in Dallas, its hard to say what the future for the player with that club is. and what the market would look like next summer. I don't know if many teams are willing to dump a whole bunch of assets right now for what may just be a rental.

Staal for Richards? PLEASE
How about **** no.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 01:25 PM
Zip15

Quote:
Skimming through the thread I saw something like this a few times, i.e. comparisons to the Kovy deal for Richards. Without opening a can of worms, before Kovy died and went to Jersey, the guy was a star, someone people would (and still) pay to see. Richards doesn't have the same marquee value that would pull down such a deal. Roszival is better than Oduya anyways, and Sather hasn't traded a 1st rounder in almost 10 years.
Such HF valuations, fortunately, carry little or no weight with actual NHL GM's. Kovy was/is obviously a great player, but I don't understand why some Rangers fans are attempting to marginalize Richards. Here's the complete list of centers who've scored more points than Richards since the start of the 2009-10 season:

Sidney Crosby
Henrik Sedin
Steven Stamkos
Nicklas Backstrom

Richards is an elite #1 center. Right now, there's not a position more difficult to acquire; they cost a ton. They're highly valued right now because the Cup finalists the last three seasons--Detroit (Datsyuk, Zetterberg), Pittsburgh (Crosby, Malkin), Chicago (Toews, Sharp, Bolland), and Philly (Richards, Carter, Briere)--have been loaded down the middle. Further, unlike Kovy, Richards is a point/game, proven playoff performer with a Stanley Cup and Conn Smythe on his resume. If the Rangers badly want Richards, which is the premise of the thread, the obvious presumptions are a) they want to compete for the Cup this season, and b) they want the head start to re-sign him before July 1.

Whoever wants Richards is going to have to pay through the nose to get him, especially when one considers Dallas is currently a playoff team. I'm not going to argue over whether they'd demand Girardi or settle for Rozsival, who I think is better than what he gets credit for on these boards. Generally, though, I think the Kovy template is pretty close.

Quote:
The day Glen "I won't trade Dubinsky for a signed Heatley" Sather trades something like that for a rental is the day someone on this message board breaks their d-ck off in Adriana Lima. It's not happening.
If they traded for Richards, it'd be because they were intent on re-signing him. Sure, there are no guarantees, but that'd be the thinking from Sather and the Rangers' brass. Anyways, he's as much a rental as Kovy was.

And Dubinsky definitely will not be moved in any deal, as you alluded to.

Quote:
This isn't $80 mill payroll days where you can buy replacements, Glen has stuck to the plan post-lockout, I don't see him deviating from that now.
That depends on how you frame the issue. If the plan is to not move picks and young players, sure, he's stuck to that plan. If the plan is not to make poor personnel decisions, he hasn't really stuck to that plan--Drury, Gomez, Redden, Boogaard, and the first couple years of Rozi. If he has his heart set on getting Richards, you never know what he'd be willing to give up.

Quote:

for

Richards, Daley
See, I don't think that comes close. Frolov is a rental, and one whose numbers are in a steady state of regression over the last four seasons. Grachev's value isn't where a lot of Rangers fans think it is. He has 33 pts in 101 AHL games. He's still a long-term project and is nowhere close to being a top-6 forward in the NHL. Besides, Dallas is loaded on the wing (Neal, Eriksson, Morrow, Benn), so Grachev has even less value to them. Rozi is solid, but is only signed for one season beyond this one. Hagelin/Horak/Bourque are 50/50 prospects. That doesn't get you Richards, let alone one of Dallas's best defensemen, too.

I understand the concern about the money. The Rangers could do something like this fairly easily:

Rozsival (5.0) + Anisimov (.820) + Werek (another young center for Dallas) + 1st

for

Richards (7.8)

If this trade is done at the midpoint, NYR only adds $1 mil to their cap. They can then hide Eminger in the minors. If you're concerned about not having a 2nd pairing rightie, trade for Montador if/when Buffalo becomes sellers. Getting rid of White also helps their cap concerns.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 01:29 PM
Orenji

The Rangers will have to give up more than a lot of people are putting up. Because I'm sure there will be at least a dozen teams all wanting Richards as well and will be trying to outdo any deal the Rangers give.

Orenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 01:44 PM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orenji View Post
The Rangers will have to give up more than a lot of people are putting up. Because I'm sure there will be at least a dozen teams all wanting Richards as well and will be trying to outdo any deal the Rangers give.
There are at least a dozen teams that don't have a #1 centre and also have 6 or 7 million in cap room?

Volcanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 01:46 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
The concept of "context" and "timing" really should not be that hard to understand.

He was traded for that ^^^ package because his team at the time was seeking to dump salary and Dallas was taking on a long, weighty contract.

In this scenario, NYR would be on the hook for only a couple of months if they choose (acquiring an expiring contract is a virtue in NHL circles, although not here). Plus, there will be more of a market for him at the deadline than there was when TB was looking to move a long-term contract.

As such, that package you describe above has no relevance to today.

If I'm Dallas and NYR wants to deal, Stepan has to be coming back in any package.
Especially if Dallas continues to play well. They'd want players who can help today as well as for the future. Something like Stepan + Rozsival + mcdonagh/mcilrath

People also need to realize that when Richards was traded to Dallas he was not playing well at all. Now he is playing like an allstar so obviously hes worth more than he was when dallas acquired him.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote