HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are the Habs showcasing Weber?

Old
12-04-2010, 07:00 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

vCash: 500
Gauthier and Martin are evaluating Weber while bring Subban back down to earth.

We have an aging defense corps, Subban has had his chance to showcase his skills and he's definitely proven he'll be a part (and an important part) of our defense going forward. Now what's happening is Subban has had a rough patch, and the team decided it would be a good time to try Weber and see what he can do: So far he has delivered the goods.

If we can add Weber to our regular Top 6 for next season we are going to save a considerable amount of money on the cap, and help us with the offense from the back end.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 07:04 PM
Prairie Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
I don't think Gomez has much say when it comes to the line Martin decides to play him on. The Habs world doesn't revolve around Gomez... he is only one part of the team and a small one at that. At this point, I would have no qualms about nailing him to the bench if we acquired a more dominant center.
To you honestly think Weber will give us a big dominant centre who is better than Gomez? Burke would be the only GM dumb enough to do it, but he doesn't have any good centres. How do you see this deal shaking down?

Prairie Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 07:08 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Potentially. I was thinking this.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 08:04 PM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

At the end of the day, Martin wanted to send a message to PK and give Weber an opportunity on the back end. Weber took his chance and didn't look back. At the end of the day its a good problem to have to many good young D, especially considering how old or Defensive leaders are. We may trade Weber, but I doubt it happens unless Gauthier is blown away or he is part of a package for a star. You don't spend the kind of time Montreal did developing Weber just to shop him. He is an important asset to this team, traded or resigned.

Captain Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 08:09 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Habs View Post
To you honestly think Weber will give us a big dominant centre who is better than Gomez? Burke would be the only GM dumb enough to do it, but he doesn't have any good centres. How do you see this deal shaking down?
It's too bad Milbury isn't a GM anymore to fleece.

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 08:10 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
And this guy will play on which line ?

You really think Gomez would accept to play on a third line ?

And what about Halpern and Eller ? Can't blame them at all.

They are going to get a winger somewhere down the road to complement Gomez and Cammy. I would like Brendan Morrow.
29 teams would like Brenden Morrow... Not a realistic acquisition without a MASSIVE overpayment.

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 08:11 PM
Nidema

I hope we're not showcasing him for other teams but for our own management to evaluate his place in our organization for years to come.

I think he can be a great PP quarterback option for his in a few years time.

I would much rather trade Carle and a pick for a guy like Langenbrunner.

Nidema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 08:14 PM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by prevail View Post
They're using Weber to fire up Subban, they know PK is a very competitive person and I really don't think he likes being the outcast, especially to another rookie.

Whether it attracts trade talks from other teams is a bonus.
Subban > the world

maybe the Habs play Weber because he can help the team

Quarantesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 08:26 PM
m00ks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Jr View Post
Honestly it's a combination of everything. The Habs are blessed with a team that for the most part avoided injuries this year, So with Subban having a couple of off games they have the luxury of trying out Weber. For those who say Spacek is still the weak link, you're not watching the games properly. He was clearly out of shape at the beginning of the year, but is now extremely steady out there with Hammer, who's playing even better.

I think Weber playing is less about showing him to other teams and more about finding out if we can save our money on going out to get a D and spend it elsewhere. I think that was what Martin was getting at in the post game interview with Bouchard. He basically said that he was happy to know that he had 7 good D at his disposal and even mentioned being able to call up Carle if it came to that. It's good to get Weber in there as much as possible this season so you know what to do next year with him. We already know that Subban is a lock on D for years to come: I'm sure the Habs would love to know if Weber was, too.

Simply put, it's a great opportunity for both the Habs and Weber to find out where they stand, and as far as Subban is considered he'll just have to wait out the storm. I bet you he's just itching at the chance to show the coaches how much better he can be in his overall play. This a real win/win situation going on here, and we should be thanking Martin for making this bold decision.
bang on

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 08:41 PM
Born in 1909
Vive la France!

Just because you are giving a ripe prospect ice time does not mean he is being showcased.

Its called letting a rookie play to see what he has.

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 11:17 PM
Habbadasher

One word: no.

Habbadasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 11:22 PM
donghabs98

vCash: 200
I have always liked Weber. I still remember his first goal in th 09 playoffs

donghabs98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 11:30 PM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by donghabs98 View Post
I have always liked Weber. I still remember his first goal in th 09 playoffs
Really? Nothing against Weber, I just wiped that entire debacle from my memory. I literally remember nothing from the 2nd half of that season.

Captain Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 11:56 PM
llamateizer

nope
O'byrne wasnt playing at all when traded...

You have Markov, Hamrlik and Gill UFA next season.
Gorges, Weber and Picard RFA,

Subban and spacek signed.
we'll see which UFA defense will be kept

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 02:41 AM
stubbadub

Everybody, shhhh, I'm trying to get to bed. Our team will be just fine. Let's just see how the next game pans out. Weber's been a great guy, I dig his style, but just keep it down, I'm trying to get some shut eye here. We'll be just fine, don't worry! :drunk:

Oh, and Martin for PM.

stubbadub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 10:10 AM
Aurel Joliat

Why trade this guy ? We have only 1 right D in this team (Subban) and a second is very useful. Also, he proves that he can play a strong game defensivily. Overall, he his much better than Picard.
I can see those pair :
Hamrlik - Subban
Gill - Gorges
Spacek - Weber

Aurel Joliat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 10:44 AM
ikelechien

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
Gauthier and Martin are evaluating Weber while bring Subban back down to earth.

We have an aging defense corps, Subban has had his chance to showcase his skills and he's definitely proven he'll be a part (and an important part) of our defense going forward. Now what's happening is Subban has had a rough patch, and the team decided it would be a good time to try Weber and see what he can do: So far he has delivered the goods.

If we can add Weber to our regular Top 6 for next season we are going to save a considerable amount of money on the cap, and help us with the offense from the back end.
I second your comments.
Canadiens have had a number of needs and Gauthier and Martin have been trying some internal solutions before going out to market on or before the trade deadline.
1. Power play - Quick hard slapper from the point a la Bergeron - Is that guy "Weber"?
2. Power play - A guy who will park himself in front of the net a la Byfuglien - Is that guy "Darche"???
3. 5 on 5 - One/two large and/or trucculent guys a la Thornton/Clowe who will make it harder to play against the Canadiens. Are those guys "Pacioretty" and "White".
For answers, stay tuned to the rest of the season when "Questions Will Become Answers" as per the NHL commercials.

ikelechien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 11:01 AM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Nope.

We have 3 UFA next year (Markov, Hamrlik, Gill) and 2 RFA (Gorges, Picard). I doubt we're interested in moving any of them with the exception of possibly Carle who wont garner much interest. Weber is an RFA too but I didn't really include him as I don't expect him to get a much bigger offer. The guys above should receive decent raises.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 11:10 AM
Bullsmith

The way Weber's playing I sure hope not. The guy has gotten so much stronger, and that's giving him a basis to build confidence. He's got a great head on his shoulders. There was a moment yesterday where he put himself out of position near the circle and let a SJ player get past him with a clear line to Price. He reacted instantly and calmly, realizing what he'd done even before the opposing forward did, and harried the guy with an active stick and regained position inside. It's not that it was an exceptional play, but the way he reacted to making a really bad mistake sooo quickly and calmly really made me think this is a guy who can play in the NHL. In fact looking at the package he brings, I think the transition may be fairly smooth for him. The much faster pace doesn't seem to bother him, as long as he knows what he's supposed to do.

Very impressive couple of games.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 11:25 AM
AntonCH

The way i see it with 3 vets potentially on the way out
Markov: 5.75m
Hamrlik: 5.50m
Gill: 2.25m
=13.5m
And the RFA's essentially to return with Picard on the fence
Your line-up next year may potentially look like(in no particular order):

Weber
Subban
Gorges
Picard
Spacek
Emelin
and most probably Markov
In my opinion Picard will be replaced by Gill
That's one heckuva back end that will cost considerably less than what you have now(assuming roughly same dollars for Markov, same or slightly less for Gill and off the books for Hamrlik)

Depth is a good thing as long as its managed well

AntonCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 11:26 AM
DuRoux

Anyone see Georges an healthy scratch just to give him a slack? I mean in the last few weeks he is one of our best on the ice but he seems bruised, could a few games slack be a good idea?

Hamrlik Spacek
Subban Gill
Webber Picard
Georges

I mean we have some kind of solid 7D might as well give break to our bruised soldier .. no?

DuRoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 12:03 PM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubbadub View Post
Everybody, shhhh, I'm trying to get to bed. Our team will be just fine. Let's just see how the next game pans out. Weber's been a great guy, I dig his style, but just keep it down, I'm trying to get some shut eye here. We'll be just fine, don't worry! :drunk:

Oh, and Martin for PM.
Been there, done that.

Gabe84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 01:19 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

yes defiantly, hell be traded soon. thought so since he was put in the lineup as forward

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 02:58 PM
Mats NAslund

vCash: 50
Nest Years D will look like this:

Markov
Subban
Gorges
Spacek
Weber
Yemelin
Picard

Mats NAslund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 04:50 PM
LastRide

Fourth Period is saying Habs intersted in Richards, or Penner, and possibly Kovalev. I really don't want to see Kovalev back. Word is they would like to move Gomez also, but it won't happen.
http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/mtl101205.html

LastRide is offline   Reply With Quote