HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How I would "fix" the game

Closed Thread

Old
06-06-2005, 04:45 PM
sluggo*

vCash: 500
How I would "fix" the game

When I was driving home, on Prime Time sports, they were talking about improving hockey and what rule changes should be brought in. I think the game can be improved with very few rule changes and just wanted to.....vent my ideas about this and see what others think about my ideas.

1) Reduce the size of the goalie equipment and ban the "cheats" that some goalies (Jiggy I'm looking at you ) have started using. Give the skaters something to aim at when they are shooting. The NHL should hired 30 people (one for each arena) whos only job is to check the equipment before the game and if they have reason too, at the end of any period. Penalities for cheating would be stiff, 3 games for the first offense, 10 for the second and 25 for the third, all without pay.

2) Reduce the roster size by 3 skaters. This would cut, at least on most teams, the 4th line which has become 3 big men whos only job is to hit the more skilled players and/or fight with the other teams 4th line players. Less goones would give the start players more ice time and more room on the ice to play.

3) Bring in the tag-up off side. It would just allow teams to keep the offensive pressure on when they are attacking.

4) Take out the red line. Allow players to make 2-line passes. Teams could clear their zone's easier, quicker and it would give the defending teams less time to set up a trap when they turn over the puck in the other teams zone.

5) ENFORCE THE DAMN RULE BOOK!!! A guy puts his stick on another player CALL IT. A player grabs another player CALL IT. I think you get the point. The way the game is meant to be called, it is a fast moving, offensive game. Unfortuntally hockey players, hockey coachs, hockey GM's and hockey fans have gotten this stupid "let them police themselves, don't let the refs decide the game" attitude toward calling the game today that the refs don't call the infractions that are mean to cut down on things (like clutching and grabbing) that slow the game down, and keep it moving at a fast pace.

Old
06-06-2005, 04:49 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartigan
1) Reduce the size of the goalie equipment and ban the "cheats" that some goalies (Jiggy I'm looking at you ) have started using. Give the skaters something to aim at when they are shooting. The NHL should hired 30 people (one for each arena) whos only job is to check the equipment before the game and if they have reason too, at the end of any period. Penalities for cheating would be stiff, 3 games for the first offense, 10 for the second and 25 for the third, all without pay.
Plus, forfeit wins in any game found cheating.

Old
06-06-2005, 04:53 PM
sluggo*

I forgot one

6) Get rid of ties. If the 3rd period ends in a tie, we got to 10 minutes of 4-on-4. If that doesn't solve anything the game is won or lost with a shoot-out, but only in season games.

Old
06-06-2005, 04:59 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
I forgot one

6) Get rid of ties. If the 3rd period ends in a tie, we got to 10 minutes of 4-on-4. If that doesn't solve anything the game is won or lost with a shoot-out, but only in season games.
No overtime.

Ties are fine.

Save the players for the real season.

Old
06-06-2005, 09:03 PM
sluggo*

Quote:
No overtime.

Ties are fine.

Save the players for the real season
Ties are not fine. I assume most people here live in Toronto, how much does it cost to take 2 or 4 people (ie - date or family) to a Leaf game? Its to expensive and a lot people only get to go to 1 maybe 2 games a season if that. If that 1 game is a tie you walk away feeling very unstasified. Get rid of ties, have 5 or 10 minutes of 4 on 4 overtime, then go to a shoot-out to settle the game. The playoffs will just keep going until a team scores. This would change, at least partly, the coaching attitude from "lets not lose" to "lets win" because playing for a tie and getting a point wouldn't be an option.

Old
06-06-2005, 10:27 PM
SwisshockeyAcademy

How about three points per win, going for a tie is not nearly as appetizing. I abhor the shootout. I do not think overtime necessary but 5 minutes of 4 on 4 is ok.

Old
06-06-2005, 10:31 PM
sluggo*

Quote:
How about three points per win, going for a tie is not nearly as appetizing. I abhor the shootout. I do not think overtime necessary but 5 minutes of 4 on 4 is ok.
With a 3 point win there is still a benefit to getting a tie. When a team either gets a win or a loss there is no benefit to play "not to lose" you have to play to win.

Old
06-06-2005, 10:56 PM
Mat

Send a message via AIM to Mat Send a message via MSN to Mat
i agree. get rid of ties.

Old
06-06-2005, 11:29 PM
SwisshockeyAcademy

A tie when three points are there for a win is much like a loss depending on the situation of course. Works well in the Premiership.

Old
06-07-2005, 12:16 AM
Twist and Shout

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwisshockeyAcademy
A tie when three points are there for a win is much like a loss depending on the situation of course. Works well in the Premiership.
That's exactly what I hope happens. Teams will begin to fight for the extra two points instead of not trying (to simply gain the extra point).

Old
06-07-2005, 08:03 AM
Leaf Army

Quote:
Its to expensive and a lot people only get to go to 1 maybe 2 games a season if that. If that 1 game is a tie you walk away feeling very unstasified.
This is pretty questionable reasoning.

Judging by this, maybe we should make a rule stating that the home team can never lose. Everyone's gauranteed to go home happy. Now that would be exciting.

Hey I went to two games last season and they lost 7-1 both times. You want to tell me about being unsatisfied? I would have gladly taken a tie.

Old
06-07-2005, 08:46 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Players already play too many games.

If you want to eliminate ties, shorten the season.

70 games with no ties, or 80 with ties (draws for Mess).

You choose.

Old
06-07-2005, 09:04 AM
Dar

Send a message via MSN to Dar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Army
Hey I went to two games last season and they lost 7-1 both times.
May I make a humble suggestion.

When this thing you call Ice Hockey some year returns and you find yourself presented with the opportunity to attend a game, would you please politely decline and keep your ass at home?

Old
06-07-2005, 09:07 AM
sluggo*

Quote:
This is pretty questionable reasoning
Thats part of the reasoning, the other part of it is the change in coaching it would cause. If you don't get anything for a loss, you have to play to win, instead of not lose. You never see teams in baseball, for example, playing for a tie, they are always going for it cause they either win or lose. Lets create that attitude in the NHL

Old
06-07-2005, 09:13 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Thats part of the reasoning, the other part of it is the change in coaching it would cause. If you don't get anything for a loss, you have to play to win, instead of not lose. You never see teams in baseball, for example, playing for a tie, they are always going for it cause they either win or lose. Lets create that attitude in the NHL
Bad, horrible, wrotten, stinking, tie hockey games >>>>>> baseball.

Old
06-07-2005, 10:09 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55
Bad, horrible, wrotten, stinking, tie hockey games >>>>>> baseball.
Well they say the shoot out is almost a give to end tie games when Hockey returns ..

I would like to see it held after the end of the 2nd period ..

That would make for an exciting 3rd period if the winner of the game is already known should the game end in a tie after regulation time.

Old
06-07-2005, 11:22 AM
Kenadyan

Quote:
3) Bring in the tag-up off side. It would just allow teams to keep the offensive pressure on when they are attacking.
I've been screaming about this since they took it out in 1998!!!! I said it would totally disrupt the flow of the game. "Oh, no" my Canadian relatives said, "it will make the game more exciting as now they won't just be able to shoot the puck back into the zone."

My argument was that the players would still shoot the puck into the zone, but now there will be a whistle to blow the play dead when the puck is shot back in, rather than the play continuing while the offensive players tag back up at the blue line. In other words, the whistle would slow the game down and disrupt the flow.

Why was I one of the few that understood this even back when they made this rule change???

Old
06-07-2005, 12:56 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenadyan
My argument was that the players would still shoot the puck into the zone, but now there will be a whistle to blow the play dead when the puck is shot back in, rather than the play continuing while the offensive players tag back up at the blue line.
And every off-side face-off should take place on the other side of center, and deliberate offsides in the defensive zone of the offending team. Getting the face-off just outside the zone is not punishment, it is quite often the intent.

Old
06-07-2005, 01:00 PM
bingo_vodun

Quote:
When I was driving home, on Prime Time sports, they were talking about improving hockey and what rule changes should be brought in. I think the game can be improved with very few rule changes and just wanted to.....vent my ideas about this and see what others think about my ideas.

2) Reduce the roster size by 3 skaters. This would cut, at least on most teams, the 4th line which has become 3 big men whos only job is to hit the more skilled players and/or fight with the other teams 4th line players. Less goones would give the start players more ice time and more room on the ice to play.

4) Take out the red line. Allow players to make 2-line passes. Teams could clear their zone's easier, quicker and it would give the defending teams less time to set up a trap when they turn over the puck in the other teams zone.

5) ENFORCE THE DAMN RULE BOOK!!! A guy puts his stick on another player CALL IT. A player grabs another player CALL IT. I think you get the point. The way the game is meant to be called, it is a fast moving, offensive game. Unfortuntally hockey players, hockey coachs, hockey GM's and hockey fans have gotten this stupid "let them police themselves, don't let the refs decide the game" attitude toward calling the game today that the refs don't call the infractions that are mean to cut down on things (like clutching and grabbing) that slow the game down, and keep it moving at a fast pace.
fix game easy contract nashville, atlanta, tampa florida aneheim and bankrupt ottawa and wellfix things

Old
06-07-2005, 01:54 PM
Christ

How would I fix the game...get rid of Bettman. Replace him with Gretzky or someone else who really knows the game like Scotty Bowman or Don Cherry (j/k )and give them free reign for rule changes that they would like to see.

Old
06-07-2005, 10:01 PM
SwisshockeyAcademy

Quote:
When you are on the road you generally play for the tie in the ninth when trailing. Taking it to extra innings. Not a homerun derby but they play the game out. I'll scrap ties when they play out overtime to its conclusion. That is not happening so lets leave an individual skills competition out of it. Its all for not though as we are heading in that direction.

Closed Thread