Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

Ottawa and Calgary

Old
12-05-2010, 01:11 AM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
Ottawa and Calgary

Eklund, ESPN hockey central, and even Brian Murray has mentioned an Ottawa trade

Ottawa trades:
Kovalev
Lee

Calgary trades:
Jokinen
Staios
Mikkleson

Sorry. I accidently made this a "happy birthday" thread and I don't know how to change it to a "proposal"

Both Kovalev and Jokinen have been really bad for their respective teams. And I don't see Calgary dealing with the problems of Kovalev unless Ottawa scratches their back, hence, Ottawa can take on Jokinen's longer contract. Staios and Mikkleson will bolster Ottawa's blueline, and Lee is the young player Calgary is looking for.

Last edited by Noori: 12-05-2010 at 02:45 AM. Reason: fixed thread prefix
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 01:24 AM
MarkGio

Kovalev (7-7-14) minus 6
5 million with 1 year left

Lee (0-0-1) plus 1
0.875 million with 2 years left

Jokinen (2-8-10) minus 5
3 million with 2 years left

Staios (1-1-2) minus 1
2.7 million with 1 year left

Mikkelson (0-2-2) minus 6
0.6875 million with 1 year left

Maybe Pardy is replaced with Mikkelson, or team's can tweak it with picks.

Last edited by MarkGio: 12-05-2010 at 01:35 AM.
Old
12-05-2010, 01:57 AM
Flames Fanatic
Truculent Fan

vCash: 50
God yes. As a guy who watches every sens game and every Flames game, I'd rather deal with an enigmatic Kovalev for the next five months over Jokinen for another year and a half.

I don't think Ottawa does it though. Its really a crap for crap trade, and Ottawa's crap is better than Calgary's crap.

Flames Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 08:18 AM
Northern Neighbour

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Fanatic View Post
I don't think Ottawa does it though. Its really a crap for crap trade, and Ottawa's crap is better than Calgary's crap.
Exactly. I have no idea why the Sens would make this trade. Jokinen, Staios, and Mikkelson don't make the Sens a better team. Like Calgary, Ottawa needs to get younger.

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 12:03 PM
GoFlames

I vote for none of the above with Kovalev and Joker.

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 01:30 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Sure, why not. I would do this trade. Jokinen is playing wing right now anyways and I would much rather have Kovalev on the Flames playing that position and his contract is up at seasons end. We also get rid of Staios in this deal and pickup Lee. Draw up the paper work and put it thru.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 03:21 PM
MarkGio

The average age of Jokinen (32), Staios (37), and Mikkleson (23) is 30 years

The average age of Kovalev (37) and Lee (23) is 30 years old as well.

Lee has only played in 7 games so far. Staios has played in 14 games, Mikkleson in 20games. A straight up trade of between Mikkleson and Lee only works in Ottawa's favour (IMO), but a straight up trade between Kovalev and Staios + Jokinen probably works in Calgary's favour, but two players for one is arguable. Calgary would make this trade because Sutter likes his hockey players to be "top-6" guys that are eligible to draw a pension, and as mentioned, Flames need a winger over a centre. I'm not sure if Ottawa would make this trade because they too need a winger over another centre, but they also need a stay-at home defenseman since they've lost Volchenkov.

Old
12-05-2010, 03:27 PM
GoFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
Sure, why not. I would do this trade. Jokinen is playing wing right now anyways and I would much rather have Kovalev on the Flames playing that position and his contract is up at seasons end. We also get rid of Staios in this deal and pickup Lee. Draw up the paper work and put it thru.
True but Staios will be a UFA July 1 as well. If the Flames can package Staios as part of a deal to get a pick and or prospect sure. Really it is time to start giving the kids a chance on D. Many of the veterans are sure stinking.

Old
12-05-2010, 03:34 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFlames View Post
True but Staios will be a UFA July 1 as well. If the Flames can package Staios as part of a deal to get a pick and or prospect sure. Really it is time to start giving the kids a chance on D. Many of the veterans are sure stinking.
I was listening to Playfair on the radio about a month ago and he was talking about Seabrook saying how has been probably their best overall d-man in Abbotsford. I wouldn't mind seeing a guy like that get some time up with the big club. If he doesn't any time soon, he will rot down in the AHL and probably spend his career down there.

Old
12-05-2010, 03:40 PM
WebSlinger

Bring on the Spez!

We don't possess such assets, but Spezza would be our #1 center capable of making our top line extremely dangerous... Game winning, clutch goal scoring, push us through the suck barrier dangerous...

Spezza centering Iggy and Tangs makes my goody bits quiver in anticipation...

WebSlinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 03:44 PM
Nightfx

I'd do that even without Lee, it'd be nice to dump Jokinen and Staios somewhere.

Nightfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 03:53 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlinger View Post
Bring on the Spez!

We don't possess such assets, but Spezza would be our #1 center capable of making our top line extremely dangerous... Game winning, clutch goal scoring, push us through the suck barrier dangerous...

Spezza centering Iggy and Tangs makes my goody bits quiver in anticipation...
This was discussed this past offseason, it will never happen. Ottawa doesn't want what we would offer, we don't have what they would want. They may of considered it for something involving Dion, but that ship has sailed.

Old
12-05-2010, 04:09 PM
WebSlinger

Quote:
This was discussed this past offseason, it will never happen. Ottawa doesn't want what we would offer, we don't have what they would want. They may of considered it for something involving Dion, but that ship has sailed.
Like I said, I doubt we possess the necessary assets to nail a Spez-esque player... But I could see a guy like Regehr contributing to a team such as the Sens... maybe chuck a Kotalik in there?

Old
12-05-2010, 04:22 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
I was listening to Playfair on the radio about a month ago and he was talking about Seabrook saying how has been probably their best overall d-man in Abbotsford. I wouldn't mind seeing a guy like that get some time up with the big club. If he doesn't any time soon, he will rot down in the AHL and probably spend his career down there.
I agree it's time to let Seabrook play in the big club, along with Brodie. We have great defensive prospects, but we lack offensive. Next years rebuilding defensive corpse doesn't look too bad with Erixon, Brodie, and Seabrook, but who can make up the offense? Plus we'd need to keep some of our current defensmen to mentor the young guys. I see next year as this:

Jaybow -- Sarich
Gio -- Pardy
Brodie -- Seabrook
Erixon

That'll probably be about 17 million locked up.

We trade Reghre, Staios, Mikkleson, and Babchuk for picks/young forward prospects.

Old
12-05-2010, 04:34 PM
Dallas Flames Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightfx View Post
I'd do that even without Lee, it'd be nice to dump Jokinen and Staios somewhere.
yes..i agree with this

Dallas Flames Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 04:43 PM
WebSlinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
I agree it's time to let Seabrook play in the big club, along with Brodie. We have great defensive prospects, but we lack offensive. Next years rebuilding defensive corpse doesn't look too bad with Erixon, Brodie, and Seabrook, but who can make up the offense? Plus we'd need to keep some of our current defensmen to mentor the young guys. I see next year as this:

Jaybow -- Sarich
Gio -- Pardy
Brodie -- Seabrook
Erixon

That'll probably be about 17 million locked up.

We trade Reghre, Staios, Mikkleson, and Babchuk for picks/young forward prospects.
Mmmm... I like this. I'm thinking a lot of clubs would be willing to give up some much needed offensive talents for the use of Regehr and his defensively superior ways

Old
12-05-2010, 05:02 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlinger View Post
Mmmm... I like this. I'm thinking a lot of clubs would be willing to give up some much needed offensive talents for the use of Regehr and his defensively superior ways
Right now San Jose is looking like they need a solid stay-at-home defensemen since they've lost Blake. Maybe Calgary could try to land either Pavelski, Couture, or Clowe.

But if Calgary is going to rebuild, they should trade for a lot of picks, shedding enough salary to sign offensive free agents like Semin and Connolly short term, that way we can stay competitive long enough to develop our picks.

Old
12-05-2010, 05:35 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Quote:
Right now San Jose is looking like they need a solid stay-at-home defensemen since they've lost Blake. Maybe Calgary could try to land either Pavelski, Couture, or Clowe.

But if Calgary is going to rebuild, they should trade for a lot of picks, shedding enough salary to sign offensive free agents like Semin and Connolly short term, that way we can stay competitive long enough to develop our picks.
Pavelski would be the one to target, its unlikely San Jose would trade him however unless he becomes to expensive to keep. In which case, his trade value has most likely gone as weoo to the point where Regehr, + would be needed to make a deal.

Old
12-05-2010, 06:02 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
Pavelski would be the one to target, its unlikely San Jose would trade him however unless he becomes to expensive to keep. In which case, his trade value has most likely gone as weoo to the point where Regehr, + would be needed to make a deal.
alright, well he's what I just came up with:

San Jose trades: (9.625 million)
Pavelski
Clowe
Niemi

Calgary Trades: (10.757 million)
Regehr
Morrison
Kipprusoff
2nd rounder

This solves San Jose's goalie and defensive problems. Although San Jose essentially loses it's secondary scoring. I know this would never happen.

Old
12-06-2010, 02:14 AM
Internazionale

Quote:
alright, well he's what I just came up with:

San Jose trades: (9.625 million)
Pavelski
Clowe
Niemi

Calgary Trades: (10.757 million)
Regehr
Morrison
Kipprusoff
2nd rounder

This solves San Jose's goalie and defensive problems. Although San Jose essentially loses it's secondary scoring. I know this would never happen.
Keep dreaming as Clowe,Pavelski,Couture are untouchable. San Jose does not need a goalie as Defense would be top priority. If anyone could be had, its Setoguchi

Internazionale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 09:51 AM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 0
Not to mention Calgary's lack of a 2nd round pick...

Stewie Griffin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 06:49 PM
MarkGio

With all these things stirring up in Ottawa, I'm wondering if the Calgary/Ottawa trade is now a possibility.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=344957

Old
12-10-2010, 08:42 PM
GoFlames

If Sutter trades for Kovalev the only player worth dumping would be Jokinen

Old
12-10-2010, 09:13 PM
FLAMES666
Retrofit not Rebuild

That wouldn't be such a bad trade Jokinen has two years left of his contract and Kovalev is a UFA at the end of the season.

FLAMES666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 01:32 AM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Internazionale View Post
Keep dreaming as Clowe,Pavelski,Couture are untouchable. San Jose does not need a goalie as Defense would be top priority. If anyone could be had, its Setoguchi
Clowe is untouchable...right? Clowe would be traded if San Jose could land a marquee d-man. Of course you would want to trade Setoguchi first, however I do not think many teams would be offering much for Setoguchi these days. I love how other posters come in from other forums and try to sell their garbage to other fans like used car salesman. You see depth guys like Clowe get traded every year. What is a rare is seeing huge contracts like Heatly, Thorton and Marleau moved. Clowe would be traded if the right deal came along for San Jose.

With that said, San Jose has no interest in the proposal that was listed. I think the Sharks have THE best second line in all of hockey, certainly it was in last years playoffs. No way they give up 2/3's of it with no legitmate offence going back their way. You guys are competing now for the Cup, you are not going to give that much offence in one trade.