HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#28: Flyers @ Islanders - Sunday, Dec. 5, 2010 - 1:00 PM (ET)

Old
12-05-2010, 03:03 PM
HoverCarle*

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFlying View Post
interesting stat...JVR, 9:57 TOI. he was the hungriest flyer in the first period. i'm not sure if i saw him at all in the third.
Hope hes not hurt

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 03:13 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Thanks for the link to the article MSE.

I can see Wang letting the contract run out, and at the last minute, say "Oh ****, we are doomed."

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 03:46 PM
StandingCow

This was probably one of the most boring wins.. I really didn't think they deserved the two points. But I am glad we got them.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 03:59 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Thanks for posting the CG birthday thread. Some funny comments but all in all, ex-Storm's has a better OP.
I'm counting the days to the sexiness.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 04:15 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Yeah, this is far from the best team in the league right now. Our PP is really horrible and our goaltending is still weak if you think about it. Not that it matters, but our extra d-men suck badly too.
I'm not really seeing how the goaltending has been week.

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 04:32 PM
MsWoof

Did Zherdev see the ice after he dove for the puck that caused the second Isles goal?

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 04:37 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inebriator View Post
He might mean "unproven" which is true.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 05:15 PM
FlyerEra2010

I'm holding off as long as I can, but I'm getting close to buying a Nodl jersey and subsequently jinxing the hell outta him.

FlyerEra2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 05:17 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
He might mean "unproven" which is true.
That's more accurate

Old
12-05-2010, 05:34 PM
ilovetheflyers8

Quote:
interesting stat...JVR, 9:57 TOI. he was the hungriest flyer in the first period. i'm not sure if i saw him at all in the third.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Hope hes not hurt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Hope hes not hurt
He played in each period, including the last 2 minutes in the game. He had a few really short shifts.

http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreport...1/TV020391.HTM

Last edited by ilovetheflyers8: 12-05-2010 at 05:40 PM.
ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 05:42 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Quote:
That's more accurate
I never said our goalies have been playing badly, just said that we're still weak at the position. Although, personally, I think our goaltending has been a bit lackluster the last few games or so from Bobrovsky (even though the stats suggest otherwise). Still, that's besides the point.

The guy we're pinning all our hopes on for our goaltending woes is a 22 year old rookie goalie from the KHL that has a career high of like 35 games played. Not exactly a smart plan. We have no real backup plan, just like we didn't last year.

I shouldn't even have to point out why we can't depend on Boucher or Leighton.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 06:24 PM
Mosetter27

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerEra2010 View Post
I'm holding off as long as I can, but I'm getting close to buying a Nodl jersey and subsequently jinxing the hell outta him.
already bought one,

along with Ville, Briere, & Hartnell SCF white jerseys!

Mosetter27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 07:00 PM
RoDu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Did Zherdev see the ice after he dove for the puck that caused the second Isles goal?
I'm not sure, but I think I did see Powe take shifts with Giroux and Carter in the third

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 07:24 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
I never said our goalies have been playing badly, just said that we're still weak at the position. Although, personally, I think our goaltending has been a bit lackluster the last few games or so from Bobrovsky (even though the stats suggest otherwise). Still, that's besides the point.

The guy we're pinning all our hopes on for our goaltending woes is a 22 year old rookie goalie from the KHL that has a career high of like 35 games played. Not exactly a smart plan. We have no real backup plan, just like we didn't last year.

Bob has looked very human lately. The one goal today was obviously pretty weak, and one of the goals last game came from this stupid paddle-down butterfly he goes into whenever the puck goes from his left to right behind the goal line. I can think of like three goals him doing that has cost him. There's no reason to leave your feet there. At worst lay the left pad down and keep the right blade on the ice.

He's still pulling his weight, don't get me wrong.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 07:37 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:

Leighton and Boucher suck but the team did it with them last year. Yes I know that's not really a great supporting fact but I don't think if we had to ride one of them its THAT large of a handicap.

When the playoffs roll around the team is going to win if they are healthy and play to their capabilities, two things that are no guarantees

Old
12-05-2010, 08:48 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
Bob has looked very human lately. The one goal today was obviously pretty weak, and one of the goals last game came from this stupid paddle-down butterfly he goes into whenever the puck goes from his left to right behind the goal line. I can think of like three goals him doing that has cost him. There's no reason to leave your feet there. At worst lay the left pad down and keep the right blade on the ice.

He's still pulling his weight, don't get me wrong.
I agree with you completely. Boosh and Leighton would both get crucified for ever letting in a soft goal, but Bobrovsky is kind of the hyped up golden child now so he's not getting the same harsh criticism as them.

Doesn't seem fair to me, but I understand it.

Bobrovsky has definitely been pulling his weight and putting up good stats...but so did Leighton last year (even better stats in fact) and we still criticized him and knew he would screw us over in the end. I'm feeling the same thing with Bobrovsky here if we plan on riding him all year long. Although, when I felt that riding Leighton would bite us in the ass it's because I thought he sucked while I think riding Bobrovsky is gonna bite us in the ass just because he's a rookie with very little in the way of professional hockey before this year.

Quote:
Leighton and Boucher suck but the team did it with them last year. Yes I know that's not really a great supporting fact but I don't think if we had to ride one of them its THAT large of a handicap.

When the playoffs roll around the team is going to win if they are healthy and play to their capabilities, two things that are no guarantees
The team didn't do it with them last year. They lost, in the end. Even ignoring the fact that they ultimately ended up losing last year, they barely managed to get to the SCF between getting into the playoffs via shootout and coming back from 0-3 (the latter of which most definitely won't happen again).

A lot of people around here last year knew that Leighton was a bad goalie whose soft goals could potentially kill us in the end...and they did. The Blackhawks won primarily because of **** goaltending. They won because their **** goaltending was just barely better then our **** goaltending.

I don't feel like going over all this gain as it's a beaten subject, but it's been said, by myself included, that we were extremely fortunate in last year's playoffs. We didn't face a potent, healthy offense until the SCF and then we got destroyed. We faced a potent offense against the Bruins, but we got extremely fortunate there with injures because of Richards taking Krejci out and Gagne (who is no longer here) coming back in the span of one game. If that doesn't happen then we lose in round two. So put two and two together there.

I'm just saying, even with Bobrovsky, look up and down this roster and our only weakness is still goaltending.

Last edited by Garbage Goal: 12-05-2010 at 08:56 PM.
Old
12-05-2010, 09:11 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
I agree with you completely. Boosh and Leighton would both get crucified for ever letting in a soft goal, but Bobrovsky is kind of the hyped up golden child now so he's not getting the same harsh criticism as them.

Doesn't seem fair to me, but I understand it.

Bobrovsky has definitely been pulling his weight and putting up good stats...but so did Leighton last year (even better stats in fact) and we still criticized him and knew he would screw us over in the end. I'm feeling the same thing with Bobrovsky here if we plan on riding him all year long. Although, when I felt that riding Leighton would bite us in the ass it's because I thought he sucked while I think riding Bobrovsky is gonna bite us in the ass just because he's a rookie with very little in the way of professional hockey before this year.
They're both risky, but beyond that I don't think they're that comparable.
We don't know how good Bob really is. We just know how good he can be. We knew exactly how bad Leighton was and he overachieved like crazy (for a time, at least).

Now there is something to be said for the school of thought that says you're as good as your results, but if you simply watch the two play you can see the differing potential and skill

I personally hope they ride Bobrovsky until the All Star game. Them give him only a few starts before the last few weeks before play-offs, then get him back into top form. At least that's the plan. You can plan ahead with goalies, right? I also don't think Bobrovsky is really the type of rookie to melt down completely. The guy seems to have a little bit of steel in his personality, and really bares down hard after he lets in a goal he's disappointed with. It's the same type of personality that gets up for big games. I have a lot of confidence that come April he will find a way to play hsi best hockey. Whether that is good enough or not, who knows....but it's certainly pretty decent.

Last edited by Giroux tha Damaja: 12-05-2010 at 09:17 PM.
Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 09:33 PM
McNasty

Quote:
Mostly because Bobrovsky hasn't cost us yet. Squeakers like the one he allowed today can be backbreaking, and while he can be breathtaking at times he is very prone to softer goals, usually it's when the outcome has already been decided.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 09:46 PM
sa cyred
Offseason...

Garbage, you know that every single goalie lets in bad goals right?

You can keep saying dont look at stats.... but we have a goalie in top 10 in stats in everything. Who should we go after then? Ellis, who is doing terrible. Turco, who is also doing terrible?

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 09:46 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

I missed the last two games, but I like that lots of different people are getting goals. Depth rules.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 09:54 PM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post

You can keep saying dont look at stats.... but we have a goalie in top 10 in stats in everything. Who should we go after then? Ellis, who is doing terrible. Turco, who is also doing terrible?
Btw:
Nabokov 20 GP 2.80 GAA .895 SV% in the KHL so far.

At this point Bob is better than every other option out there.

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 10:00 PM
sa cyred
Offseason...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevermore View Post
Btw:
Nabokov 20 GP 2.80 GAA .895 SV% in the KHL so far.

At this point Bob is better than every other option out there.
Chris Mason has done bad also, while Pavelic has done well.

Like I dont know who else we should go for at the moment? Rolo I guess? We would have to give up a 2nd. Even then Rolo isnt some superstar. He will let in a soft goal every now and then, just like Bob does.

EDIT: And our defense has had alot of breakdowns also. They arent infallible.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 10:19 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
They're both risky, but beyond that I don't think they're that comparable.
We don't know how good Bob really is. We just know how good he can be. We knew exactly how bad Leighton was and he overachieved like crazy (for a time, at least).

Now there is something to be said for the school of thought that says you're as good as your results, but if you simply watch the two play you can see the differing potential and skill

I personally hope they ride Bobrovsky until the All Star game. Them give him only a few starts before the last few weeks before play-offs, then get him back into top form. At least that's the plan. You can plan ahead with goalies, right? I also don't think Bobrovsky is really the type of rookie to melt down completely. The guy seems to have a little bit of steel in his personality, and really bares down hard after he lets in a goal he's disappointed with. It's the same type of personality that gets up for big games. I have a lot of confidence that come April he will find a way to play hsi best hockey. Whether that is good enough or not, who knows....but it's certainly pretty decent.
I'm not saying Bobrovsky is similar to Leighton or Boucher at all and I definitely don't think he's just gonna meltdown because he's a bad goalie.

I think that this work and all these new experiences are going to catch up to him eventually if we ride him as our starter all year. I mean, he's a rookie who hasn't played in NA or had a goalie coach before this year.

He has flaws in his game, some of which you pointed out earlier. In fact, I remember many posters echoing this much earlier in the year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post

Never said bad goals are unique to our goalies, but Bobrovsky has looked rather lackluster ever since the Calgary or Tampa game. Just an observation of mine.

Leighton was top 10 in just about every relevant goalie stat besides wins last year and look how far that got us. Most goalie stats are pretty damn flawed since practically every goalie stat is very heavily influenced by the team in front of them and the "bounce" factor.

I also never said we should go after anyone. Just saying that goaltending is still a concern and by far our biggest concern.

Old
12-05-2010, 10:21 PM
MsWoof

Bob is playing as well as he was at the beginning of the season. The only thing that has changed is our expectation. We were shocked at how good he was in the beginning but now we're used to it and we don't go as wild over amazing saves.

Old
12-05-2010, 10:23 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
I just saw on NHL-N that Tavares played just over 20 min. Richards and Carter played just over 16 and 17. Isles are going to burn Tavares out at this rate.