HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

Atlantic City (AHL Team)

Old
12-05-2010, 03:13 PM
Frostbite Warrior

vCash: 500
Atlantic City (AHL Team)

Just Curious on this do you guys think that Atlantic City Nj would get a team becuase i am listing to the Phantoms vs Albany Devils from Atlantic City Nj

Frostbite Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 07:14 AM
tenpinsplit

this was a home game for albany right? so i assume it is the devils feeling the waters on what it would be like to have a team there. looks like they drew ok, a little over 5k, capacity for hockey from their web is listed as 10500, so really they were half full. i imagine it would be better to have half capacity rather than drawing under 3k people in an arena that seats 14k (times union center)

tenpinsplit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 10:59 AM
Rumblick

Quote:
Originally Posted by toe2toe View Post
this was a home game for albany right? so i assume it is the devils feeling the waters on what it would be like to have a team there. looks like they drew ok, a little over 5k, capacity for hockey from their web is listed as 10500, so really they were half full. i imagine it would be better to have half capacity rather than drawing under 3k people in an arena that seats 14k (times union center)
Probably helped to be playing Philly's farm team.

Rumblick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 11:05 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblick View Post
No doubt. I suspect that even though it was a "home" game for Albany, the majority of the fans were Flyers/Phantoms supporters. It also didn't hurt that the Eagles didn't play on Sunday either.

That said AC would be an ideal setting for the Devils since they clearly don't care whether their minor league teams draw given that both their AHL and ECHL teams are both dead last in attendance.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 11:31 AM
tenpinsplit

didn't even think about that. good call

tenpinsplit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 12:02 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
there are 3 more games like that.... until Belber stipulates that the Albany Devils must play all games @ TUC, similar to what Portland did w/ Lewiston, Orono, & Buffalo, the last 3 seasons until the new lease in Portland was extended.....

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 12:34 PM
RFA

Belber (Times Union Center GM) will not stipulate that all games are played in Albany because the company he works for also runs the building in AC.

In regards to the announced attendance, what we saw on AHL Live it didn't look like half the seats were full.

I don't think that Philly will place a team in AC unless Spectacor takes over the management of the arena. That doesn't seem likely soon as several SMG hosted events moved to AC (ECAC hockey, Devils minor league games, Basketball tourney) from other SMG buildings, some with multi-year agreements.

RFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 12:48 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFA View Post
I don't think that Philly will place a team in AC unless Spectacor takes over the management of the arena. That doesn't seem likely soon as several SMG hosted events moved to AC (ECAC hockey, Devils minor league games, Basketball tourney) from other SMG buildings, some with multi-year agreements.
Given that the Flyers no longer own their AHL club it's not their choice. However, the Brooks Group could have moved the Phantoms to AC, but chose Glens Falls. I suspect that until the arena in Allentown is built that the Phantoms will remain in Glens Falls.

Old
12-08-2010, 04:51 PM
RFA

Spectacor took over the GFCC operations when the Phantoms moved in. Granted it could be a coincidence, but I'd guess that there is more of a corperate partnership with the Brooks and Spectcor. The SMG events indicate to me that there is a multi-year agreement in place.

Old
12-09-2010, 08:31 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Spectacor took over the GFCC operations when the Phantoms moved in. Granted it could be a coincidence, but I'd guess that there is more of a corperate partnership with the Brooks and Spectcor. The SMG events indicate to me that there is a multi-year agreement in place.
That certainly could be the case, but what's the definition of "multi-year"? We know that an arena won't be ready at least for another season or two.

Old
12-09-2010, 01:29 PM
RFA

I believe that the ECACs are there for four years.

Old
12-09-2010, 01:35 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
I believe that the ECACs are there for four years.
Obviously I don't know the terms of the lease, but is it possible that there is an out clause for the Brooks Group based on when/if an arena in Allentown is built (especially when/if it turns out that Spectacor ends up managing that facility)?

Old
12-10-2010, 01:51 PM
RFA

I agree that the Brooks will go whereever they feel they will make the most money. I have the feeling that they have a deal with Spectacor though.

The Glens Falls Post Star reported in regards to the Brooks and playing next year in Glens Fallsr- "We got them to commit (with a head nod) to saying there was a 90 percent or greater chance."

http://poststar.com/app/blogs/?cat=784

Old
12-10-2010, 03:18 PM
Frostbite Warrior

Look here the Phantoms are not moving to Allentown Pa

Though they're not coming right out and saying so, the owner of the Adirondack Phantoms (AHL) appear ready to return to Glens Falls for a third season, as there's no Allentown arena on the horizon.

from http://arenadigest.com/201012103157/...-for-2011-2012

Last edited by Frostbite Warrior: 12-10-2010 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Editing
Frostbite Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 03:44 PM
Tommy Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostbite Warrior View Post
Maybe not for this next season but they will eventually.

Tommy Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 05:09 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:

Though they're not coming right out and saying so, the owner of the Adirondack Phantoms (AHL) appear ready to return to Glens Falls for a third season, as there's no Allentown arena on the horizon.

from http://arenadigest.com/201012103157/...-for-2011-2012
Given that it is common knowledge that the arena project in Allentown isn't moving forward yet, this isn't much of a surprise. However, given how putrid the Phantoms are, is this good news for Glens Falls hockey fans?

Old
12-11-2010, 12:10 AM
Rumblick

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Hawk View Post
Maybe not for this next season but they will eventually.
"Eventually" does seem to be backing up a little at a time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Given that it is common knowledge that the arena project in Allentown isn't moving forward yet, this isn't much of a surprise. However, given how putrid the Phantoms are, is this good news for Glens Falls hockey fans?
This is the part that bothers me. The Flyers seem totally unconcerned with the product they're putting on the ice, which wasn't the case when the team was in Philly. My biggest concern is that they're making it that much tougher to justify any other team going there when the Flyers do eventually leave, because the fans won't back an ECHL level team.

Old
12-11-2010, 04:07 AM
Tommy Hawk

Quote:
"Eventually" does seem to be backing up a little at a time.

This is the part that bothers me. The Flyers seem totally unconcerned with the product they're putting on the ice, which wasn't the case when the team was in Philly. My biggest concern is that they're making it that much tougher to justify any other team going there when the Flyers do eventually leave, because the fans won't back an ECHL level team.
Eventually does keep moving much like in the Yotes debacle.

Thing is, it isn't the Flyers worry anymore about how good the team is in the AHL. Why should they care since they do not own the team?

Tommy Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 07:53 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
[COLOR="Navy"]This is the part that bothers me. The Flyers seem totally unconcerned with the product they're putting on the ice, which wasn't the case when the team was in Philly. My biggest concern is that they're making it that much tougher to justify any other team going there when the Flyers do eventually leave, because the fans won't back an ECHL level team.
I'm not sure if I fully agree with your first statement. If the Flyers were completely unconcerned they wouldn't have fired the coach nor would they have signed Denis Hamel. As a former Phantoms STH I also think you are overstating how much "concern" they had for the Phantoms when they were across the street as well.

As for your second point, is it their responsibility to help justify another team moving in when they leave? Like Lowell, perhaps Glens Falls just isn't a good AHL market that is deserving of another AHL team once the Phantoms leave?

Old
12-11-2010, 01:24 PM
Rumblick

I guess a lot depends on the philosophy of the franchise, and that seems to have changed. When the Phantoms were in Philly, there always seemed to be veteran leadership available, and to a large extent that isn't present in ADK (I think you'd have seen players like Hamel & Ryan there at the start of the season in past seasons). The Flyers were forced into doing something only after the Maroon incident, which I think pointed out that there were more problems with Gilbert than they anticipated.

I don't think it's the Phantoms responsibility so much as that I thought having the Phantoms there would bring a good level of AHL hockey back to the region. I still think Glens Falls and the area around it is a solid market for a decent team, but they've got nothing near that this year (they're almost like what an independent team used to look like back in the day), and coupling that with the constant idea of the team relocating, it's not easy to get the fan base around them.

Old
12-12-2010, 05:40 PM
pelts35.com

Albany was supposed to have a game in AC this afternoon, but it was postponed due to unsafe ice conditions.