HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What's going to happen to LEIGHTON? (Dec. 8 update: Leighton can remain on LTIR)

Old
12-06-2010, 01:05 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

vCash: 500
What's going to happen to LEIGHTON? (Dec. 8 update: Leighton can remain on LTIR)

LOL!

This tidbit by Meltzer speaks volumes. Love how Leighton pronounces himself ready and Holmgren smacks him down. I'm sorry but I wasn't much of a Leighton fan to begin with ..at least not as a starter but then when he was less than forthcoming with his back injury I lost a lot of respect for the guy. At least Boucher is more of team player. It will be interesting to see how this situation plays out...

Quote:
The more pressing issue from a Flyers standpoint is what to do with Michael Leighton. The goaltender played a decent game in his rehab start on Saturday, but followed it up with a poor game yesterday in the Phantoms 4-2 loss to Albany at Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City. Afterward, Leighton pronounced himself fit and ready to return to the big club.

Paul Holmgren, who attended the game, wasn't so convinced. He noted that the player is still on LTIR and strongly suggested that he's in no rush to activate the goaltender. He also hinted that he may try to get an extension approved for Leighton to continue his rehab assignment -- either for the Phantoms or elsewhere.(PACK YOUR SUITCASE)

“We’ll get him checked out [physically]” he told Chuck Gormley. “I’m not sure if he’s ready for NHL action (HE NEVER WAS) . Ideally, we’ll try to get him some more games somewhere else.” (NA NA NA NA)

Asked what options other than the Phantoms the Flyers have available to them, Holmgren cryptically replied, “We’ll do what we need to do and you’ll find out then.”

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-...12610/45/31942

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 12-08-2010 at 12:41 PM.
FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 01:12 PM
BernieParent

Yeah, that does sound a bit ominous. I wonder if one of the options includes a lead pipe, cinder blocks and a burlap bag. That being said, I hope that Holmgren makes every effort to keep all options open in terms of goaltending, just in case Bob's performance suddenly takes a nosedive. Despite the growing hype around the kid, it still makes me pretty edgy to pin the team's season and (dare I say it?) playoff hopes on a previously untested, NHL/AHL-wise, rookie goaltender.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 01:17 PM
Garbage Goal

He'll be taken around to the back of the shed by Holmgren.

Seriously though, we need to keep him around and make sure he's healthy. No rush to get him back right now.

I agree with the poster above me completely and I touched upon this in the Islanders GDT, but it's a pretty dumb idea to put all of our hopes on Bobrovsky. He's just as likely to fizzle out or be a flash-in-the-pan as any other rookie. Except other rookies have had AHL and/or NA experience and goalie coaching before so Bobrovsky actually could be more likely.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 01:20 PM
Jester

At the moment, we have some LTIR cover that leaves us in a good spot... so there's no immediate rush to do something about Leighton. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out. If Bob has "proven" himself to the organization, then part of the decision needs to be whether they want Leighton to be the backup next year... or be open to someone else filling that role.

If that's the case, then you want to keep Boucher and not Leighton simply because Boucher will expire and give them options.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 01:24 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

I don't see Bob as a flash in the pan although he'll have his bumpy stretch I'm sure and yes may be a bit much to tab him for playoff sucess. However, when I watch the guy in net I don't find him to be ordinary. He seems to be getting comfortable with each game. Asking him to play 60 games is a bit much though...I still wish they had gone after Tim Thomas for Gagne if the rumor was correct. That contract was not as onerous as some people thought considering his Vezina background and current play. He would have been perfect for a couple of years while Bob developed more properly. Also going into the playoffs you would have no questions! Instead, we're paying Thomas' money by paying Walker (3 years no less), Leighton and Shelley. Then you have the enigmatic Zherdev.....

Old
12-06-2010, 01:26 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
At the moment, we have some LTIR cover that leaves us in a good spot... so there's no immediate rush to do something about Leighton. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out. If Bob has "proven" himself to the organization, then part of the decision needs to be whether they want Leighton to be the backup next year... or be open to someone else filling that role.

If that's the case, then you want to keep Boucher and not Leighton simply because Boucher will expire and give them options.
It will be interesting to see if Leighton rocks the boat so to speak. He says he is ready, fleyrs want him on LTIR for now until the figure out what to do. Bottom line is he needs more games to fully evaluate what they want to do. I dont know how he is going to get those games. Can they loan him out on a short term basis? would he have to approve? ECHL? Waive Leighton if it comes down to it. He wotn get claimed and it is his punishment, even thoug he still gets his 1.5mm. I could def see him never playing a game again for the flyers, wouldnt be surprised in the least.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 01:27 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
I don't see Bob as a flash in the pan although he'll have his bumpy stretch I'm sure and yes may be a bit much to tab him for playoff sucess. However, when I watch the guy in net I don't find him to be ordinary. He seems to be getting comfortable with each game. Asking him to play 60 games is a bit much though...I still wish they had gone after Tim Thomas for Gagne if the rumor was correct. That contract was not as onerous as some people thought considering his Vezina background and current play. He would have been perfect for a couple of years while Bob developed more properly. Also going into the playoffs you would have no questions! Instead, we're paying Thomas' money by paying Walker (3 years no less), Leighton and Shelley. Then you have the enigmatic Zherdev.....
That Thomas contract is mighty prohibitive when you factor in age (35+) and injury concerns. If it was an expiring deal, I would have been in favor... but it would have represented a serious obstacle to re-signing Carter and Giroux.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 01:31 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
That Thomas contract is mighty prohibitive when you factor in age (35+) and injury concerns. If it was an expiring deal, I would have been in favor... but it would have represented a serious obstacle to re-signing Carter and Giroux.
Yeah the contract was dicey but if you had a GM that was more flexible with his cap planning they could have worked him in. Maybe Meszeros wouldn't have been signed but that could have been a wash in some respects. Holmgren went with his stacked D and center strategy which is not bad for the playoffs but if Bob or Boucher are not up to par in April and if Leighton is not around his strategy might bite him...

Old
12-06-2010, 01:33 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
It will be interesting to see if Leighton rocks the boat so to speak. He says he is ready, fleyrs want him on LTIR for now until the figure out what to do. Bottom line is he needs more games to fully evaluate what they want to do. I dont know how he is going to get those games. Can they loan him out on a short term basis? would he have to approve? ECHL? Waive Leighton if it comes down to it. He wotn get claimed and it is his punishment, even thoug he still gets his 1.5mm. I could def see him never playing a game again for the flyers, wouldnt be surprised in the least.

I wonder if Leighton will become a Jones situation where Holmgren is willing to take the heat for paying Leighton in the first place....

Old
12-06-2010, 01:41 PM
kicksave27

Quick show of hands..

Who thought Tim Thomas was going to be vezina good again, or even the starter for the B's this year?

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 01:55 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
Quick show of hands..

Who thought Tim Thomas was going to be vezina good again, or even the starter for the B's this year?
I thought that he'd rebound but not to this extent.

Some goalies can keep it up. Hell, Roloson was lights out for 45 minutes against us. He can still put up a gem and he's older than dirt.

And I am sure that Hasek would still be better than half the backups in the league.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 01:57 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Wrong thread.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 01:58 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
Quick show of hands..

Meltzer thought he would be a good option for the Flyers and become a starter again and I agreed..hence why I posted the below thread in the summer.

You can get an idea of the arguments here

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t...=meltzer+gagne

....one post I made was that I didn't agree his injury would make him all the sudden some cripple. I wish I could say the same for Leighton who was challenged to begin with.

The question is not really about whether Thomas would be as strong as he is thus far which will be tempered as the season goes on but whether he was a better option than Leighton and Boucher despite the contract. Bob has luckily settled the situation for now but we shall see what the goaltending situation is in April...

EDIT: Here is one of Meltzer's posts within that thread

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=2...8&postcount=30

Old
12-06-2010, 02:05 PM
Flyskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
I thought that he'd rebound but not to this extent.

Some goalies can keep it up. Hell, Roloson was lights out for 45 minutes against us. He can still put up a gem and he's older than dirt.

And I am sure that Hasek would still be better than half the backups in the league.
It's particularly amazing in light of his knee injury a few years back.

Flyskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 02:09 PM
jb**

Leighton will also continue to laugh when he checks his bank account every 2 weeks. Will also thank God shooter allowed him to become a millionaire

Old
12-06-2010, 02:14 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Looks like we are filing for an extension of the conditioning stint

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 02:31 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Looks like we are filing for an extension of the conditioning stint
it will be only got 6 days. or the 2 games next weekend for the Phantoms.
plenty of time to re-evaluate his injury

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 02:38 PM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Yeah, this is rather telling. MFL wants to play but Homer is holding him back. Normally I'd say it's a good problem to have too many qualified goalies, but then it's MFL. 'Nuff said.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 02:48 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

There's part of me that really doesn't trust this whole situation will play out to my liking and trying to keep Bob around.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 02:49 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Edit: Double Post. Servers screwy again?

Last edited by JLHockeyKnight: 12-06-2010 at 03:19 PM.
Old
12-06-2010, 03:41 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Holmgren: Flyers' Leighton to Remain on LTIR

Quote:
Leighton said “certain movements” make it uncomfortable for him in his leg and foot.
Yeah like covering the short side/post

Quote:
Regardless of what happens with Leighton, Russian rookie goalie Sergei Bobrovsky is going nowhere.

He has been the Flyers’ starter with 14 wins, a 2.21 GAA and a .925 save percentage. BOB is among the top vote-getters (among goalies) for this year’s NHL All-Star Game.

“Sergei seized the opportunity,” Holmgren said. “That’s good for him. It’s looks like we’re going to carry three goalies for the foreseeable future. It’s not ideal, but it is what it is. These guys are pros and have to deal with it. We certainly have no intention of sending Sergei down.”
It is what it is....

Source: http://www.csnphilly.com/12/06/10/Ho...463&feedID=704

Old
12-06-2010, 03:58 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

"Fit and ready to return to the big club" and "'certain movements' make it uncomfortable for him in his leg and foot" are two completely different things, Michael.

Old
12-06-2010, 03:59 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
Yeah like covering the short side/post

It is what it is....

Source: http://www.csnphilly.com/12/06/10/Ho...463&feedID=704
yet he proclaimed himself ready to go. This whole thing is just comical from day1.

Old
12-06-2010, 04:05 PM
Flyskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
"Fit and ready to return to the big club" and "'certain movements' make it uncomfortable for him in his leg and foot" are two completely different things, Michael.
I think he meant "Fit and ready to collect a big paycheck."

I liked Leighton, but the withholding of his injury until after the contract was signed doesn't sit right with me. I also think Boosh is more of a team player than Leighton. Thus, Boosh is better as Bob's backup.

Flyskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 04:15 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

Clearly MFL is seeing what Bob is doing as his replacement, and he is going to blind panick, his gig has been usurped

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote