General Stars Talk Thread

Closed Thread

Old
10-23-2010, 02:10 AM
________

vCash: 0
Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
General Stars Talk Thread

Well, basically this a thread for rumors, anything else linked to the Stars.

From Heika's chat. More on the link.

On Niskanen
2:14
[Comment From Wes]
What's your take on Nisky so far this season? I know it's a huge year for him. Wondering what your take is on how his first few games have gone.
2:14
Mike Heika: He's getting better and he needs to develop more confidence. The Stars are commited to being patient with him.

2:29
[Comment From fucuoy]
why not more woywitka and less nisky?jeff seems to play hard evry chance he gets than nisky and has enough body to move people>?
2:30
Mike Heika: Because they love Nisky.

2:31
[Comment From Greg in Houston]
why do they love Nisky?
2:32
Mike Heika: They believe in his potential.

On Richards
1:26
[Comment From Sean in CO]
if the Stars where to trade Brad Richards, what would they want in return?
1:28
Mike Heika: Hey Sean, my guess is it would depend on what was being offered and who was offering it. If the Stars are still in the chase for a playoff spot, they would probably want to move Richards to the East. If they weren't, they would take the best offer. The organization needs help with a skilled defenseman, but they also could use a young center if they made the decision to move Richards.

They don't need left-handed left wings or goalies, but they are open to pretty much anything else.

2:19
[Comment From Greg in Houston]
How much money is it going to take to sign Richards. Isn't he making around 7 million now? Will he require a long term deal?
2:21
Mike Heika: I have no idea. I would think he would want a long-term deal that is somewhere around $6 million to $7 million or a short-term deal (and when I say short-term, I mean 4-5 years), that is definitely in excess of $7 million.

I believe the Stars do not want to give a 31-year-old player a deal that is longer than five years.

Last edited by ________: 10-23-2010 at 02:16 AM.
Old
10-23-2010, 01:26 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 500
Riveting stuff from Heika there.

Old
10-23-2010, 05:00 PM
Chad_

I don't know why you didn't include the question about new ownership bringing Modano back to Dallas in order the play for the Stars.

Old
10-23-2010, 08:54 PM
Troy McClure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_ View Post
I don't know why you didn't include the question about new ownership bringing Modano back to Dallas in order the play for the Stars.
It's a pretty silly question. Why would the team bring him back to play?

Old
10-23-2010, 10:38 PM
Chad_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure View Post
It's a pretty silly question. Why would the team bring him back to play?
Yeah, I realize that. I laughed when I read it on the chat recap. My inclusion above was sarcastic in nature..

Old
10-27-2010, 01:06 AM
________

Link to the blog post didn't work.

Old
10-27-2010, 01:17 AM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Talk about needing some space for interpretation/discretion.

Old
10-27-2010, 01:37 AM
glovesave_35
Name

That is ****ing weak. I can see having to give him a minor because of the way the guy went into the boards but there wasn't anything dirty or malicious about the hit itself. It shouldn't have been a misconduct though. Ridiculous.

Somewhat related, is Brown getting suspended for his blindside hit on Miettinen?

Old
10-27-2010, 02:04 AM
Captain Awesome

Legitimate hit, odd spot to throw it, but I didn't think there was anything foul about the hit itself.

I think we may get to see Larsen... on the bench for a few games.

Old
10-27-2010, 02:19 AM
wicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
Somewhat related, is Brown getting suspended for his blindside hit on Miettinen?
No, after further review by the league, it was a questionable hit, but more shoulder-to-shoulder then direct contact to the head. The two hits are kind of similar, though...

Old
10-27-2010, 07:48 AM
MB94
@MBFarina94

Blindenbacher anyone?

Old
10-27-2010, 09:51 AM
Class1723

Send a message via Yahoo to Class1723
Not good timing for Blindenbacher as he is suffering from a concussion following a car wreck.

Old
10-27-2010, 01:33 PM
TrueGrit

Link

Larsen recalled, should be good to see where he's at

Old
12-04-2010, 12:39 AM
________

Has the idea been floated around that to possibly keep Brad Richards, the team trades Mike Ribeiro?

Yeah, they kicked it around all summer and could not find a trade partner who wanted to acquire Ribeiro and the three years at $5 million remaining on his contract. If they re-sign Richards and still are on a budget, they might consider the possibility of trading Ribeiro again. But until Richards is re-signed, they kind of need to keep Ribeiro to make sure they are not caught without a No. 1 center.

Link

I know this was discussed in the summer, but maybe a bit more info.

Old
12-04-2010, 03:07 AM
Captain Awesome

I think it's a stupid idea, obviously Richards has become a bigger part of this team but Mike Ribeiro is still huge for us. He just has elements to his game that absolutely no one else on our team has. Of course, I could be kinda biased, he's my favorite player currently on the team, but I'd be seriously bummed out if we let go of Ribs. Maybe I'm crazy, but I'm not sure that if you got rid of him that you've made the right choice about which center goes.

Old
12-04-2010, 02:51 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

I think being deep down the middle is our best asset, and Benn as our 2C would hurt our depth. I agree we shouldn't sacrifice Ribs talent just for a marginal upgrade at D.

Old
12-04-2010, 04:01 PM
vofty

Just a bit from TSN on the board of governors meeting
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=344107
Quote:
Former President of the Anaheim Ducks and Montreal Expos, Tony Tavares will be named interim CEO of the Dallas Stars. His role will be to keep the Stars finances in order as owner Tom Hicks continues to look for a potential buyer for the team.

Old
12-04-2010, 04:41 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
I think it's a stupid idea, obviously Richards has become a bigger part of this team but Mike Ribeiro is still huge for us. He just has elements to his game that absolutely no one else on our team has. Of course, I could be kinda biased, he's my favorite player currently on the team, but I'd be seriously bummed out if we let go of Ribs. Maybe I'm crazy, but I'm not sure that if you got rid of him that you've made the right choice about which center goes.
Agree to most of this and I'm with you on the last part. The big issue surrounding a Ribs vs Richards debate is the role Richards plays on the PP. It is simultaneously a positive and a negative. On the one hand you've got one guy who's getting to see a lot of ice time and get into the flow of the game. On the other you've got a guy who is your #1 center and your #1 option on the PP; everything flows through him. If that guy gets injured then you're out your top center and your PP QB. There's no denying that Crawford's system is better suited to Richards' game than Ribeiro's but I get the feeling that Ribeiro could put up pretty equal numbers if he had his choice of the top two wingers on this team and was in more of a playmaker role on the PP.

Old
12-05-2010, 05:19 PM
vofty

Of course I'm glad that the Stars are winning, but I was just looking over some of the results of the games so far this season and they have to do better against division opponents. Stars are 3-4 so far this year against division opponents.

1-2 against the Ducks
0-2 against the Kings
1-0 against the Sharks
1-0 against the Coyotes

Unfortunately after the trade deadline, March 2, a lot of the division is going to be decided in March. The stars play 14 games in March and 9 of them are against division opponents including 3 games against the Sharks, 2 games against the Coyotes, 2 games against the ducks, and 2 games against the Kings. If the Stars are going realistically going to playoffs they have to do well in March, because if they stumble in March and have kept Richards Stars will get nothing for him if he does walk in July.

Old
12-06-2010, 01:22 AM
Karitimes
JetsJetsJets

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
Agree to most of this and I'm with you on the last part. The big issue surrounding a Ribs vs Richards debate is the role Richards plays on the PP. It is simultaneously a positive and a negative. On the one hand you've got one guy who's getting to see a lot of ice time and get into the flow of the game. On the other you've got a guy who is your #1 center and your #1 option on the PP; everything flows through him. If that guy gets injured then you're out your top center and your PP QB. There's no denying that Crawford's system is better suited to Richards' game than Ribeiro's but I get the feeling that Ribeiro could put up pretty equal numbers if he had his choice of the top two wingers on this team and was in more of a playmaker role on the PP.
I'm with you on a lot of this, and especially agree that Ribs 'might' increase his production if he swapped out wingers, but then again maybe not. I really believe Ribs plays with the best possible left winger available to him, then who do you want, Benn or Loui on the right side? They're both pretty good. Maybe if he had Benn on his left and Loui on his right, he'd be lighting it up like crazy, but that wouldn't really achieve much in the way of balance amongst the forwards. Morrow will win more battles than Neal and get the puck on 63's tape allowing him more room, but Neal will finish more plays off.

On the PP, I don't know if I agree that Richards is the top playmaker. Yes, he makes the most plays and touches the puck most often. I feel the only reason you have him back there is that quick release and quick pass. He has a knack for getting the puck through and surprising the opponent with the release. IMO Ribs would be ineffective in the roll Richards plays as PPQB...due his shot and his speed if he did get caught on a broken play. In much the same way, I think we are utilizing our best option in Ribs on the right side to initiate the play and create more down low. In terms of the true definition of a playmaker, I'd say Ribs might be that guy on the PP. Richards or the RD generally give the biscuit to Ribs to slink his way around the right side and set things up for the play downlow, or the other option is to get it back to Richards for the quick (screen) shot and rebound.

Old
12-06-2010, 10:01 AM
TrueGrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vofty View Post
Of course I'm glad that the Stars are winning, but I was just looking over some of the results of the games so far this season and they have to do better against division opponents. Stars are 3-4 so far this year against division opponents.

1-2 against the Ducks
0-2 against the Kings
1-0 against the Sharks
1-0 against the Coyotes

Unfortunately after the trade deadline, March 2, a lot of the division is going to be decided in March. The stars play 14 games in March and 9 of them are against division opponents including 3 games against the Sharks, 2 games against the Coyotes, 2 games against the ducks, and 2 games against the Kings. If the Stars are going realistically going to playoffs they have to do well in March, because if they stumble in March and have kept Richards Stars will get nothing for him if he does walk in July.
I wouldn't say unfortunately, even if Richards is dealt we have full control of our playoff destiny down the stretch, the team just needs to perform.

Old
12-06-2010, 12:13 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
We've seen what a March without Richards looks like, and it isn't pretty.

Old
12-06-2010, 01:14 PM
TrueGrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued1457 View Post
We've seen what a March without Richards looks like, and it isn't pretty.
Benn and Ribs could step up, + the assets we receive, it's very possible.

Old
12-06-2010, 01:36 PM
vofty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starnsy View Post
Benn and Ribs could step up, + the assets we receive, it's very possible.
Even in the ideal situation where Benn could take over as 2nd line C without any real hickups you still have no one to run the powerplay without rushing Larsen's development

Old
12-06-2010, 02:14 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vofty View Post
Even in the ideal situation where Benn could take over as 2nd line C without any real hickups you still have no one to run the powerplay without rushing Larsen's development
Can the powerplay realistically get worse?

Closed Thread