HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

will crosby's stock fall?

Closed Thread

Old
06-05-2005, 01:58 AM
Leaf Lander

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
will crosby's stock fall?

Quote:
Ailing Crosby skips NHL combine tests

Canadian Press

6/4/2005 6:20:00 PM

TORONTO (CP) - The rigours of a long and successful season caught up with Sidney Crosby.

The top prospect for the 2005 NHL draft, whenever it is held, didn't participate in all of the physical tests at Central Scouting's combine Saturday due to a lower body injury

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp...90&hubName=nhl
I wonder if his stock will fall and maybe this inhiry couldmake him not pan out.

Old
06-05-2005, 02:21 AM
Mat

Send a message via AIM to Mat Send a message via MSN to Mat
hes just lazy and didnt wanna do the cardio workout

he knows he's going 1st overall nomatter what, this testing didnt mean two ***** to him, just like the prospects game

Old
06-05-2005, 04:35 AM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat
hes just lazy and didnt wanna do the cardio workout

he knows he's going 1st overall nomatter what, this testing didnt mean two ***** to him, just like the prospects game
Think about the amount of hockey he has played this season, and apparently he is suffering from an injury, and a serious cold. He did participate in some the physical testing, just not the cardio (hence the cold). I doubt he is worried about his status, there has never been a question about wether or not he's number 1.

Old
06-05-2005, 06:54 AM
arnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiedaeagle20
Think about the amount of hockey he has played this season, and apparently he is suffering from an injury, and a serious cold. He did participate in some the physical testing, just not the cardio (hence the cold). I doubt he is worried about his status, there has never been a question about wether or not he's number 1.
He didn't show up at the top prospects game either, citing some excuse. It sounds like a pattern - a questionable attitude about fullfilling his commitments.

Old
06-05-2005, 11:28 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

He's going to be make someone a lot of money whether he does the combine or not.

He's the next NHL meal ticket, he didn't even have to show up.

No one owns this boy ... yet.

Old
06-05-2005, 12:46 PM
timlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnie
He didn't show up at the top prospects game either, citing some excuse. It sounds like a pattern - a questionable attitude about fullfilling his commitments.
The scouting combine is not one of his "commitments." The NHL holds it and hopes prospects will attend. Presumably, most do. But no one is obliged.

Old
06-05-2005, 06:51 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Quote:
Many scouts, gm's, and coaches have raved about his attitude, that he's an outstanding young man, so I don't think many, if any teams have issues with his attitude.

Old
06-06-2005, 01:29 AM
Mat

he has no lower body injury. the guy was doing all this leg presses, and the press were even commenting about his amazing lower body stregth....then all of a sudden he has a leg injury and cant do the cardio?

face it folks, the guy wanted go go make a press appearance and go home. no injury here, just like the prospects game.

Old
06-06-2005, 01:31 AM
Mat

Quote:
yuuup

i see him getting very "injury prone" over the years

Old
06-07-2005, 09:57 AM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Why bother? This kid has played a ton of hockey this season so if anything the last thing I'd want to do is Cardio work. I love the way people just know everything about this guys heart and toughness without seeing him carry defensemen on his back every other night in the Q. Or without seeing the extra punishment he takes every night. He hasn't gotten a free pass anywhere except prospect games and Combines. meanwhile at 17 he plays on the top line at the world juniors and leads his team to a Memorial Cup Final while getting cheap shotted to a pulp all year. I hate the hype as much as anyone but I'll blame the Media. This will definately affect his draft standing...He'll fall from consensus #1 to consensus#1. He's definately threatened his hockey career with this move.

Old
06-07-2005, 09:58 AM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat
he has no lower body injury. the guy was doing all this leg presses, and the press were even commenting about his amazing lower body stregth....then all of a sudden he has a leg injury and cant do the cardio?

face it folks, the guy wanted go go make a press appearance and go home. no injury here, just like the prospects game.

Thanks Dr.Bob

Old
06-07-2005, 10:11 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club
He'll fall from consensus #1 to consensus#1. He's definately threatened his hockey career with this move.
Does anyone think his fall will be any greater?

I just think a player 5'10", who plays the punishing style Clark does will not have a long career. Oh, did I say Clark, of course I meant Crosby, Clark was 5'11".

IF Crosby still has some growing in him, and lots of kids continue to grow after 17, he'll be fine. If he is finished growing, and the league does nothing to eliminate the tackling without the puck, he will not have the impact he should. Crosby will have everything done to him Lindros did, except Lindros was 6'4", not 5'10".

The game will benefit if Crosby and other skilled players are allowed to use their skill. Skiing, can-openers, muggings have got to stop.

Old
06-08-2005, 12:45 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55
Does anyone think his fall will be any greater?

I just think a player 5'10", who plays the punishing style Clark does will not have a long career. Oh, did I say Clark, of course I meant Crosby, Clark was 5'11".

IF Crosby still has some growing in him, and lots of kids continue to grow after 17, he'll be fine. If he is finished growing, and the league does nothing to eliminate the tackling without the puck, he will not have the impact he should. Crosby will have everything done to him Lindros did, except Lindros was 6'4", not 5'10".

The game will benefit if Crosby and other skilled players are allowed to use their skill. Skiing, can-openers, muggings have got to stop.

Well said but a lotta little guys get mugged and continue to have long careers. There'll definately be changes coming...you're 100 % right about the extra curriculars of the game.

Old
06-08-2005, 01:12 PM
Remax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat

Who said it was a leg injury, it could be anything from the lower back down, for all we know he could have blisters on his ankle that would be painfull when riding a bike but not a factor when doing leg presses or push-ups. You're just jeleous because you aren't going to be selected #1 overall this year and you haven't already signed a huge multi-year, multi-million dollar deal

Old
06-08-2005, 01:55 PM
mydnyte

He's suffering from serious swolenheaditis ...and has a leg problem because he's been super stuffing his wallet with monopoly money for practice

Old
06-08-2005, 02:06 PM
timlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by mydnyte
He's suffering from serious swolenheaditis ...and has a leg problem because he's been super stuffing his wallet with monopoly money for practice
Do you like making stuff up just to make Crosby look bad? Does it make you feel better if you can bash him?

Old
06-08-2005, 02:10 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlap
Do you like making stuff up just to make Crosby look bad? Does it make you feel better if you can bash him?
I must say I do that if needed against Quinn and Belak .. but then again I do have some internal issues to deal with ..

Last edited by Mess: 06-08-2005 at 03:03 PM.
Old
06-08-2005, 02:21 PM
mydnyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlap
Nope, nothing like that ...I just have no respect for someone that only shows up when they want to. ...Missing the prospects game was no big deal, until he does it a second time. He's not nearly as bad as Lindros was, but he's getting there.
Everyone has thier pains, but they also have responsibilities, regardless that their skill and talent is proven and without question.

Old
06-08-2005, 03:22 PM
TrueBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club
Why bother? This kid has played a ton of hockey this season so if anything the last thing I'd want to do is Cardio work. I love the way people just know everything about this guys heart and toughness without seeing him carry defensemen on his back every other night in the Q. Or without seeing the extra punishment he takes every night. He hasn't gotten a free pass anywhere except prospect games and Combines. meanwhile at 17 he plays on the top line at the world juniors and leads his team to a Memorial Cup Final while getting cheap shotted to a pulp all year. I hate the hype as much as anyone but I'll blame the Media. This will definately affect his draft standing...He'll fall from consensus #1 to consensus#1. He's definately threatened his hockey career with this move.

I agree. After all the hockey he has played, including the world juniors and the memorial cup, along with his record breaking season in the Q, if people don't know what they're getting with this guy, they should not be involved with hockey.

And the abuse? Damn, I cannot believe the abuse this kid has to take. From the tomahawks chops to his legs;to guys torpedoing themselves against him; sticks to the face and yet...the kid is still breaking records. What more do people want?

I don't blame him, I would have the attitude of cardio smardio too.

Old
06-08-2005, 03:25 PM
timlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
I must say I do that if needed against Quinn and Belak .. but then again I do have some internal issues to deal with ..

Very true.

But I'm happy to have you bashing Quinn, just in case I have a need to bash him, myself. I'll know where to go, then.

Old
06-08-2005, 03:32 PM
timlap

Quote:
Nope, nothing like that ...I just have no respect for someone that only shows up when they want to. ...Missing the prospects game was no big deal, until he does it a second time. He's not nearly as bad as Lindros was, but he's getting there.
Everyone has thier pains, but they also have responsibilities, regardless that their skill and talent is proven and without question.
Missing responsibilities is a problem. The workout at the scouting combine is hardly a responsibility, though. It's a chance for prospects to market themselves to GMs- something Crosby has done an admirable job of already.

Even if the combine were a duty of some sort, he still can't participate if he is nursing an injury. Why do people assume the injury is made up? They can't possibly have information to that effect, so I conclude that they just have an inclination to believe negative things about Crosby.

He did show up and participate in some workouts and in the interviews. Its not like he blew off the whole thing.

And its precisely because this guy is not behaving anything like Lindros that the criticism seems so unfair. He has worked within the system, he has not complained about where he has played, and he has worked hard without whining about the excessive attention he gets out on the ice. Whenever I have heard him interviewed he has been articulate and polite. I just don't see the negative stuff at all.

Old
06-08-2005, 04:52 PM
mydnyte

If i had my pick between a healthy Lindros as a rookie, or Crosby, I'd take Crosby even if Lindros never suffered any injury his entire career.

Old
06-08-2005, 04:57 PM
timlap

Quote:
If i had my pick between a healthy Lindros as a rookie, or Crosby, I'd take Crosby even if Lindros never suffered any injury his entire career.
Lindros without injuries would probably have been- and still be- the dominant offensive player of his era. Its hard to compare a prospect- any prospect- to that.

Closed Thread