HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Bauer Supreme vs. Vapour

Old
12-06-2010, 09:05 PM
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Aaron Vickers Send a message via MSN to Aaron Vickers
Bauer Supreme vs. Vapour

Need a bunch of help.

There are some cheap Bauers on clearance these days and I am looking at Bauer. Always been Bauer and always will, I think.

I am looking at the following:
Bauer Supreme One70
Bauer Vapour XXV

Can anyone compare/contrast these skates for me? Just playing wing in a Calgary rec league, pretty competitive. I'm in my mid-20's but haven't bought new skates since Midget. I should add I have a slow first stride and not exactly breakaway speed.

I know nothing about skates, as it turns out.

Last edited by Aaron Vickers: 12-06-2010 at 09:17 PM.
Aaron Vickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 09:12 PM
blueberrydanish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Vickers View Post
Need a bunch of help.

There are some cheap Bauers on clearance these days and I am looking at Bauer. Always been Bauer and always will, I think.

I am looking at the following:
Bauer Supreme One95
Bauer Vapour XXV

Can anyone compare/contrast these skates for me? Just playing wing in a Calgary rec league, pretty competitive. I'm in my mid-20's but haven't bought new skates since Midget.

I know nothing about skates, as it turns out.
I have a higharch narrowish foot and vapors fit my feet perfectly. I *HEAR* the Supremes are a bit wider and when I tried on others' Supremes they were slightly wider but they had also been baked to that persons foot.

edit - try searching this section of the forums for more info btw, sure there is plenty of reviews etc on these skates, pretty popular.

Last edited by blueberrydanish: 12-06-2010 at 09:18 PM.
blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 09:37 PM
canuck44

I'm surprised anybody has vapor XXV's left, I figured they were all gone since the X:?? nomenclature replaced the roman numerals a while back.

The Vapors will fit narrower, especially in the forefoot since it's designed to hold you tightly there and relatively loose around the ankle to give you good mobility. Overall fit-wise, the supremes will be better IMO. The supremes are designed for the power skater, gives you more power per stride while giving up quick side to side movement. Not quite accurate, but think of it as vapors are designed for forwards looking for quick lateral movement and sharp turns. While the supremes are for big defence guys looking for stability/powerful strides.

I don't know much about the vapor XXV's but I think the one70s is where you start getting the composite boot. I know below the TotalOne/One100 skates it's probably fibreglass or something but still composite IIRC. I got myself a pair of supremes (one100s) and they've been wonderful for me. I have slightly wide feet and I couldn't stand the vapor fit at all. I also personally liked how the supremes hold you snugly all around the foot, not just at the forefoot.

Long story short, they're very different skates designed for different players and feet. Go try both.

canuck44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 09:52 PM
ponder

You gotta try both on as they fit differently. Try on skates from other brands too, and just go with whatever fits best.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 09:52 PM
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey

Send a message via ICQ to Aaron Vickers Send a message via MSN to Aaron Vickers
Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck44 View Post
I'm surprised anybody has vapor XXV's left, I figured they were all gone since the X:?? nomenclature replaced the roman numerals a while back.

The Vapors will fit narrower, especially in the forefoot since it's designed to hold you tightly there and relatively loose around the ankle to give you good mobility. Overall fit-wise, the supremes will be better IMO. The supremes are designed for the power skater, gives you more power per stride while giving up quick side to side movement. Not quite accurate, but think of it as vapors are designed for forwards looking for quick lateral movement and sharp turns. While the supremes are for big defence guys looking for stability/powerful strides.

I don't know much about the vapor XXV's but I think the one70s is where you start getting the composite boot. I know below the TotalOne/One100 skates it's probably fibreglass or something but still composite IIRC. I got myself a pair of supremes (one100s) and they've been wonderful for me. I have slightly wide feet and I couldn't stand the vapor fit at all. I also personally liked how the supremes hold you snugly all around the foot, not just at the forefoot.

Long story short, they're very different skates designed for different players and feet. Go try both.
The Vapours are on clearance at SportChek right now.

What would the XXV be in their line now? X:30?

Sounds like the Vapours would be the better way for me to go with cutting in corners and quick direction changes and general style of play.

Aaron Vickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 10:13 PM
canuck44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Vickers View Post
The Vapours are on clearance at SportChek right now.

What would the XXV be in their line now? X:30?

Sounds like the Vapours would be the better way for me to go with cutting in corners and quick direction changes and general style of play.
I'm not sure where the XXV slots in, but it'll probably be either the X:20 or X:30, which I've heard are more or less the same skate except the X:30 has replaceable holders and a different tongue.

I think the supremes would fit more people, but people that fit into vapors seem to love 'em.

Old
12-06-2010, 10:36 PM
nullterm

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck44 View Post
The supremes are designed for the power skater, gives you more power per stride while giving up quick side to side movement. Not quite accurate, but think of it as vapors are designed for forwards looking for quick lateral movement and sharp turns. While the supremes are for big defence guys looking for stability/powerful strides.
This is what I can gather. I'm currently mulling over a pair of new Bauers (Supremes vs Vapors) for my Christmas gift. The decision will ultimately be based on fit, but I'm hoping for Supreme One70s.

That said, I've noticed Sam Gagner and Ales Hemsky both wear Supremes this season. So even some smaller nimble guys are wearing them.

Comfort always seems to be the biggest thing for me and footwear in general, usually pinching along the sides of my feet so I'm guessing Supremes will be the answer. If they hurt like heck and are uncomfortable, then there's no point in having skates with bells & whistles.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 11:04 PM
canuck44

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullterm View Post
This is what I can gather. I'm currently mulling over a pair of new Bauers (Supremes vs Vapors) for my Christmas gift. The decision will ultimately be based on fit, but I'm hoping for Supreme One70s.

That said, I've noticed Sam Gagner and Ales Hemsky both wear Supremes this season. So even some smaller nimble guys are wearing them.

Comfort always seems to be the biggest thing for me and footwear in general, usually pinching along the sides of my feet so I'm guessing Supremes will be the answer. If they hurt like heck and are uncomfortable, then there's no point in having skates with bells & whistles.
Well I haven't heard anyone complain about the TotalOne's (which are probably what all the pros wearing supremes are wearing) other than price and (some) durability.

Sometimes I wonder if I should've just ponied up a bit more and gotten the TO's, but remember how much I paid for my skates already

Old
12-07-2010, 01:35 AM
doobie604

if you can get xxv get them before they're gone. they were actually very similar to the xxxx and x40 is the new xxv.

doobie604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 01:02 PM
Maupin Fan
Hot Air

Vapor XXV are equivalent to the current x:40, not x20 or x30 as said before.

Are you talking about the Supreme 70's from 06 or this years Supreme one70's? I would assume 70's from 06 if you are talking about closeouts.

The best skates are gonna be the ones that fit your foot the best, but if you want to talk about a strict comparison between supremes and vapors, I find the vapors to be far superior skates.

In my experience, vapors are a more responsive skate. They put you more on your toes and the boot allows for better forward flex. Supremes put you more on your heels and the boot feels more dead to me. I don't get near the acceleration in supremes as I do in vapors, and my skating becomes more upright because I don't get as much forward flex and knee bend.

Maupin Fan is offline   Reply With Quote