HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs Priority Remains a Top 6 Forward: Kaberle was a Suggestion

Old
12-06-2010, 09:55 PM
TheBuriedHab

vCash: 500
ugh the geniuses on the trade board want either Patches and a first or Eller and Webber.

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 09:56 PM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Trading for Kaberle now would be an EPIC mistake.

2 reasons.

Salary cap, we wouldn't be able to afford a top 6 winger at the deadline because we'd effectively be over the cap all year long. If we don't replace Markov, we have room to get a rental and then also go over the cap by the amount of Markov's salary as per LTIR rules.

Secondly, getting Kaberle now would severely impact the Leafs, which would probably make them a lock top 2 pick, which would tremendously help Boston.

Either way, its a horrible move at this time of the year.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Habit11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born in 1909 View Post
Ugh

Don't give the Leafs a thing...

Wait until he's UFA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
This
Really? IMO, I wouldn't be against a move that could help them finish 9th in the East this season just so the Bruins don't land another top 5 pick.

Habit11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

No way we are giving up a first pick , Kristo or any first line prospect for Kaberle when you can get him in the off-season.

We are starting to build a team for the future, not for a one year run at the cup.

if the cap is going up next year, do we dare to dream of re- signng Markov at 3 years 3.5-4 million per year AND possibly Kaberle

Kaberle Subban
Weber Markov
Georges Gill
Spacek

nyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 10:00 PM
habfaninvictoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post
Yeah Kypreos is pretty reliable and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't giddy with excitement hearing this rumour. I've wanted Kaberle in the Habs for 3 years now and if we somehow landed him, I'd probably shriek like a schoolgirl.

Can you imagine the possibilities?

Markov-Kaberle-Subban launching our speedy forwards like a sling shot shift after shift? That kind of deadly cobra-strike offense would put us over imo.

And from what I hear about how Kaberle loves the NE, would like to stay in Toronto (or near??), the Pleka connection, it becomes less and less farfetch.

I'd do something along the lines of Weber and 1st.
Big overpayment.

Burke needs to get a couple things in return and they are not mutually exclusive:

Kaberle is not only one of his only movable assets, but also an important part of their team which needs to be replaced if they have any hope of winning games and avoiding giving Boston another top 5 pick. To me the trade bait would be Spacek, who would at least cover part of Kaberles time and is signed for another year. We would need to get rid of one of D to make room and Spacek fits the bill.

He needs draft picks, preferably 1st round, or prospects that could help his team in the short term. To me that's Desharnais or Maxwell. There isn't much room for them here but they'd play good minutes in TO.

Kaberle for Maxwell/Desharnais and Spacek would be good return for Burke for a player he's going to lose at the end of the year anyway. Most teams (except him) aren't willing to give up 1st rounders for a rental, even if that rental is for more 1/2 the year.

Kaberle is not worth a 1st rounder

habfaninvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 10:01 PM
RE-HABS

The Habs aren't desperate as we are winning without Markov and if Kaberle couldn't land this last year, why would he now?

PG isn't going to screw himself for years for one run.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 10:04 PM
TheBuriedHab

After pondering it, I doubt Burke gives up Kaberle for anything other than Roster players. There is no way he wants to see Boston with another top 5 pick. I think he tries to load up for a playoff push.

Edit* only happens if Toronto is out of it at deadline.

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 10:04 PM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
The Habs aren't desperate as we are winning without Markov and if Kaberle couldn't land this last year, why would he now?

PG isn't going to screw himself for years for one run.
THANK YOU!

Besides, nobody can screw the pooch for years like Burke can!

nyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 10:09 PM
Mister Potato

I think he has a NTC to his contract.

Mister Potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 10:11 PM
patsbury

Well, Webber isn't out of question IMO. Even if Kaberle is a rental, you have to give them something useful for them. Webber make a lot of sense for them since he actually look NHL ready...gotta give something else; something like this isn't impossible:

To Mtl
Kaberle

To Tor
Webber or Kristo + 1rst...I like the idea of a conditional pick if he re-sign

Habs doesn't need a Kaberle right now as we are winning, but come playoffs time, this type of offensive D-man will become more than useful.

patsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 10:12 PM
ChoseLa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Danglez View Post
I think Kaberle is a little overrated here. He is really **** defensively. He does have some sick puckmoving skills and veteran hockey sense.

Defense is not our problem now, so why fix it?
He is vastly overrated, comparing him to Markov is a joke. Kaberle is not top defensivly, while Markov would be the best defensive defensemen on this team and his head and shoulders over Kaberle offensivly.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 10:16 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
He is vastly overrated, comparing him to Markov is a joke. Kaberle is not top defensivly, while Markov would be the best defensive defensemen on this team and his head and shoulders over Kaberle offensivly.
If Spacek is a part of the deal and he is with a player like countryman Hamrlik it would be nice, but what do the Habs do with Subban and potentially two re-signed players in Markov and Kaberle with Gorges and Gill (as PG is talking contract already)?

Not enough money for all in Kabs and Markov, and/or Hammer if kept. And not enough puck for all three in Subban, Kaberle and Markov too.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 10:16 PM
LaurentHabs
Galchenyuk2Collberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsbury View Post
Well, Webber isn't out of question IMO. Even if Kaberle is a rental, you have to give them something useful for them. Webber make a lot of sense for them since he actually look NHL ready...gotta give something else; something like this isn't impossible:

To Mtl
Kaberle

To Tor
Webber or Kristo + 1rst...I like the idea of a conditional pick if he re-sign

Habs doesn't need a Kaberle right now as we are winning, but come playoffs time, this type of offensive D-man will become more than useful.
I saw the word Kristo then i went I really doubt the Habs trade Kristo... ESPECIALLY with a First included. Weber + 1st potentialy but even there

LaurentHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 10:18 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

PG is just setting the table for July 1st.

With Hamrlik going, expect the habs to go for Kaberle this summer...why overpay and help Torannttaaah?

Next year:

Markov Subban
Kaberle Spacek
Gorges Gill
Weber

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 10:21 PM
shamrun

forget it, i dont want to give a 1st rounder for possibly a couple of months of Kaberle. And dont even get me started with trading pacioretty. He is the closest thing that we have in the farm that could become a top six forward with decent size for cheap.

shamrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 10:23 PM
m00ks

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfaninvictoria View Post
Big overpayment.

Burke needs to get a couple things in return and they are not mutually exclusive:

Kaberle is not only one of his only movable assets, but also an important part of their team which needs to be replaced if they have any hope of winning games and avoiding giving Boston another top 5 pick. To me the trade bait would be Spacek, who would at least cover part of Kaberles time and is signed for another year. We would need to get rid of one of D to make room and Spacek fits the bill.

He needs draft picks, preferably 1st round, or prospects that could help his team in the short term. To me that's Desharnais or Maxwell. There isn't much room for them here but they'd play good minutes in TO.

Kaberle for Maxwell/Desharnais and Spacek would be good return for Burke for a player he's going to lose at the end of the year anyway. Most teams (except him) aren't willing to give up 1st rounders for a rental, even if that rental is for more 1/2 the year.

Kaberle is not worth a 1st rounder
Makes sense. I never really put much effort into Burke's required return given his predicament (and ours).

If he wants Spacek over Weber then, I'd obliged although we'd lose depth in our backend for the playoff push.

I don't mind overpaying for Kaberle's talent. If the man would waive his NTC to Montreal, then odds are he wouldn't mind extending. IIRC, Hossa was probably the last big name rental that didn't resign with the club that he landed with, so I'm not too worried about the "rental" status for these high caliber players. Having the inside tract usually pays off and with that said, I feel that a signed Kaberle is worth the gamble of a 1st + Weber.

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 10:23 PM
JIMVINNY

If we make any type of trade for Kaberle, there has to be a player going back that can help them now, and that would mean something like Patches, which I'm not at all okay with. I say go after him July 1.

JIMVINNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 10:36 PM
Forsead

I think Kaberle would be impressive if he would play for a good team for a change.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 10:41 PM
SherbrookeW

The real issue is where you think the Habs are right now-- or,rather, where Gauthier thinks they are. If they're in a building mode, a year or two or even three away, then trading for Kaberle makes no sense at all. BUT -- if you, or PG, thinks that with Markov healthy they were a legitimate Cup contender this year , then common sense says that you have to try and replace Markov (who, breaks my heart to say this, is probably never coming back: he's too old and has had too much repetitive injury.) If you think that getting the nearest thing available to Markov puts the Canadiens back on a potential Stanley Cup track, then you have to try and get the nearest thing available to Markov. ANd the nearest thing available to Markov is Kaberle. Simple as that -- everything else (MaxPac's potential, resigning Kaberle, giving Boston a high first,etc.) is irrelevant. If they're ready to compete for a Cup, they need a Markov-level new D; if they're not, they don't.

SherbrookeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 10:46 PM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherbrookeW View Post
if you, or PG, thinks that with Markov healthy they were a legitimate Cup contender this year , then common sense says that you have to try and replace Markov (who, breaks my heart to say this, is probably never coming back: he's too old and has had too much repetitive injury.) If you think that getting the nearest thing available to Markov puts the Canadiens back on a potential Stanley Cup track, then you have to try and get the nearest thing available to Markov. ANd the nearest thing available to Markov is Kaberle. Simple as that -- everything else (MaxPac's potential, resigning Kaberle, giving Boston a high first,etc.) is irrelevant. If they're ready to compete for a Cup, they need a Markov-level new D; if they're not, they don't.
I agree with you except that we are not a cup contender without another legit top 6 winger. If you get Kaberle now, we will be over the cap all year long and won't be able to trade for a top 6 winger at the deadline.

Old
12-06-2010, 10:48 PM
JayBee*

Would rather we address the big HOLE in the to 6. Plus Burke's going to want the world for Kaberle, no thanks.

JayBee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 10:51 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
I think Kaberle would be impressive if he would play for a good team for a change.
Exactly, he was a Top 10 defenceman when the Leafs were good. Get him on a team that has a chance to win it all and in an arena like the Bell Centre, I think he would flourish. Plus the Habs have some Czechs on the team while the Leafs do not, I think that makes a big difference to a player who is shy.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 10:52 PM
BigHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
I agree with you except that we are not a cup contender without another legit top 6 winger. If you get Kaberle now, we will be over the cap all year long and won't be able to trade for a top 6 winger at the deadline.
How is that?

I thought we free up Markov's 5.75mill in cap space.

We have 1.05mill in cap space now, say we send them Weber 875k off the cap brings us back up to 1.9mill + 5.75mill(Markov's salary) = 7.65mill - 4.25mill(Kaberle's salary) = 3.4mill left in cap space?

3.4mill should be able to get you a decent top6 forward at the deadline as their salary will only cost you 1/3 against the cap I believe, let alone what we send back in a deal, like a possible roster player which would make trading for a top 6 forward a little more easier.

BigHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 10:56 PM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamblor506 View Post
How is that?

I thought we free up Markov's 5.75mill in cap space.

We have 1.05mill in cap space now, say we send them Weber 875k off the cap brings us back up to 1.9mill + 5.75mill(Markov's salary) = 7.65mill - 4.25mill(Kaberle's salary) = 3.4mill left in cap space?

3.4mill should be able to get you a decent top6 forward at the deadline as their salary will only cost you 1/3 against the cap I believe, let alone what we send back in a deal, like a possible roster player which would make trading for a top 6 forward a little more easier.
If we traded Weber and a 1st for Kaberle, we would have Markov's 5m cap hit or whatever AND Kaberle's $4.75m cap hit. If you have someone on LTIR, you still take their cap hit, your just allowed to spend over the cap by that much.

Old
12-06-2010, 10:56 PM
Hugo Sham

at this point there's no question Gauthier thinks we're cup contenders. 3rd round last year...top 3 so far this year...that being said...with the halak deal, he has made it clear developing young players to slot in on the team has been paramount to him..so i don't see him giving guys like leblanc or pacioretty to the leafs for 3 months of kaberle. no way

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote