HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs Priority Remains a Top 6 Forward: Kaberle was a Suggestion

Old
12-06-2010, 10:59 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

vCash: 500
You have to give to get.

Craig Rivet, a lesser player got a 1st + a thrown in, so you can expect Kabs to warrant a 1st + a mid level prospect aka Weber, or Kristo.

Hell, Grabo got a 2nd and Pateryn.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 11:05 PM
Chomsky

This isn't a strong draft, thus he'll fetch a 1st round pick and he might even get it from us. Considering we actually have a shot at re-signing him, IF he waives his NTC, then he'd be worth just that.

You people and your overvaluation of trade picks.

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 11:07 PM
Jedrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
at this point there's no question Gauthier thinks we're cup contenders. 3rd round last year...top 3 so far this year...that being said...with the halak deal, he has made it clear developing young players to slot in on the team has been paramount to him..so i don't see him giving guys like leblanc or pacioretty to the leafs for 3 months of kaberle. no way
I'm sure Burke's salivating at the idea of jobbing another team in the division with a trade that will haunt that team, in the way that the Kessel trade seems likely to do to the Leafs. I don't want to be that team.

I'd also rather just go into the playoffs as a wildcard than give away key pieces of our future, just to get back to being a team that would still be slightly worse than what we were with Markov.

Jedrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 11:12 PM
Lucius

Did you even watch the segment on SportsNet?

Kypreos was connecting the dots, assuming Montreal will want someone to replace Markov, but he never said it was a rumor. In fact, he flat out said their top priority remains a top six forward.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 11:12 PM
bib
#believe

Kaberle is a quality player, I'm big fan. He'd excel on our team with the amount of offensive depth we have.
Not as solid defensively as Markov per say, but more sturdy and physical than given credit for.
Great player, he really won't come cheap though.

Realistically

Weber - Pacioretty - 2nd

Weber is being assessed, Montreal is big on PK.

bib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 11:15 PM
No Team Needed

Leafs probably need something right now.

They are weak down the center of course.

Burke wanted Gomez originally...

No Team Needed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 11:16 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalery View Post
Kaberle is a quality player, I'm big fan. He'd excel on our team with the amount of offensive depth we have.
Not as solid defensively as Markov per say, but more sturdy and physical than given credit for.
Great player, he really won't come cheap though.

Realistically

Weber - Pacioretty - 2nd
He's a UFA.

There is no way it costs us our two prospects closest to stepping into the line-up plus a high pick.

I know it's all relative given their line-up, but both Weber and Pacioretty would be getting top minutes on that poor team right away. That said, if Burke hasn't realized yet, the team's fans don't have the patience for a rebuild. He won't trade Kaberle for prospects.

Look at similar trades in past years, that's absurd.

It's also not happening, despite the insanity around Leaf mania, Burke hasn't exactly been unclear about his willingness to move the guy.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 11:24 PM
Jedrik

I'd love to have him, but I don't think that deleting Markov and adding Kaberle makes us a contender. Not worth any kind of asking price that I'd expect. Other GMs outside our division will certainly make much better offers than I'd want to make, and I'll be relieved that it wasn't us who pitched it.

I hope.

Old
12-06-2010, 11:27 PM
elsubz

Rather we go get a top 6 player.

elsubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 11:29 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMVINNY View Post
If we make any type of trade for Kaberle, there has to be a player going back that can help them now, and that would mean something like Patches, which I'm not at all okay with. I say go after him July 1.
i think we have a great chance too

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 11:32 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
Did you even watch the segment on SportsNet?

Kypreos was connecting the dots, assuming Montreal will want someone to replace Markov, but he never said it was a rumor. In fact, he flat out said their top priority remains a top six forward.
This is the kind of post that is always overlooked in this board, that's why threads like these end up going full retard.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 11:32 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
This isn't a strong draft, thus he'll fetch a 1st round pick and he might even get it from us. Considering we actually have a shot at re-signing him, IF he waives his NTC, then he'd be worth just that.

You people and your overvaluation of trade picks.
ive always felt the same, but considering were on a forum called HOCKEYS FUTURE, i expect it anyway

but its not like were in DYER need of an absolute first round draft pick, if it helps us this year and if it helps us in our chances to resign him, i say go for it, but on the prospect side, we cant just give them our best ones

we usualy hit pay dirt in our 2nd round draft picks anyway!

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 11:35 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
Took it from the trade boards.

I consider this a legitimate rumor given than Kypreos is usually spot on when it comes to the Habs

Reported Cammalleri signing first
Announced a day prior to Plekanec being signed that we should expect it.
Also called the Schneider deal.

Discuss.

Personally, I feel as though if this were to be true, that Pacioretty would probably be the main piece to the deal, which I really don't want to happen.
I would rather trade a 1st rounder than moving Paccioretty, so I share the same feeling.. Maybe Weber and a 2nd dp?

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 11:39 PM
Playmaker09
Valar Morghulis

Let me start by saying we absolutely do not need another puck moving defenseman. Hamrlik, Spacek and Picard can all move the puck fine and Subban and Weber are very good.

The only problem I have with our current D-corps is that because we lack a top 4 TWO WAY defenseman to play with Subban/Weber, we are forced to overplay the Gill-Gorges pairing 5-on-5. Don't get me wrong, they are an excellent shutdown pairing, but when they're on the ice, we won't be creating much offense. The Hamrlik-Spacek pairing has been very effective at shutting down other teams' top lines and so ideally, we should be cutting down the ES minutes of Gill-Gorges and using them primarily as our top PK pairing. BTW our "pathetic" powerplay has now made it's way up to 11th in the league.

The only way we go after Kaberle is if PG plans on letting Markov go which would be a huge waste of assets IMO. And besides, where does he fit if we want to re-sign both him and Markov? He can't play with Markov as they play a similar game and on the same side, he can't play with PK/Weber because there's no way he could cover for them defensively, Gorges plays with Gill/Markov and Picard/Gill play on the left side so all that's left is Spacek. Do we really need to give up a first round pick+ to create another average pairing and add more of what we already have? Does it even put us over the top this year?

Playmaker09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 11:40 PM
Jedrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post
ive always felt the same, but considering were on a forum called HOCKEYS FUTURE, i expect it anyway

but its not like were in DYER need of an absolute first round draft pick, if it helps us this year and if it helps us in our chances to resign him, i say go for it, but on the prospect side, we cant just give them our best ones

we usualy hit pay dirt in our 2nd round draft picks anyway!
I'd like to go back in time and bundle together just about every first round pick we had since c.1995 and see what type of package that would have returned. Although I'll need a drink to do that.

Old
12-06-2010, 11:47 PM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

I want to see Markov and Kaberle on the same line up but I don't know if we can sign both of them

What do you think Deharnais and Weber for Kaberle both can play with the Leaf this year and probably help them

Quarantesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 11:48 PM
Teufelsdreck

Let's bear in mind that Kaberle will be a UFA. No more Tanguay-type trades!

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 12:02 AM
Ginu

Gomez + two 1st rounders + Weber (who can't pass through waivers) for Kaberle + high D prospect

-Toronto gets two first rounders and a top line center who's struggling with us
-We give up a young defenseman in Weber who has to pass through waivers I believe next season but we replace him with a high D prospect who doesn't and can develop in Hamilton
-We save add another 3 or 4 million in cap space to go after a top 6 forward

We don't need help up front. Our forward prospect pool is deep and there enough successful D prospects to be had in the 2nd rounder and later.

I may downgrade the two 1st rounders to a 1st + 2nd.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 12:46 AM
habsfanwpg27*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
Gomez + two 1st rounders + Weber (who can't pass through waivers) for Kaberle + high D prospect

-Toronto gets two first rounders and a top line center who's struggling with us
-We give up a young defenseman in Weber who has to pass through waivers I believe next season but we replace him with a high D prospect who doesn't and can develop in Hamilton
-We save add another 3 or 4 million in cap space to go after a top 6 forward

We don't need help up front. Our forward prospect pool is deep and there enough successful D prospects to be had in the 2nd rounder and later.

I may downgrade the two 1st rounders to a 1st + 2nd.
nha man, pass on that.

habsfanwpg27* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 12:53 AM
Nidema

I would much rather acquire a big legit top 6 forward right now and then consider D men options this summer depending on how Markov and UFA market shakes out.

Don't get me wrong. I think Kabs is sick. But the D is playing well now and my main concern is getting Gomez help.

This kaberle for Eller and 1st talk in the main boards is ridiculous.

Nidema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 01:01 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidema View Post
I would much rather acquire a big legit top 6 forward right now and then consider D men options this summer depending on how Markov and UFA market shakes out.

Don't get me wrong. I think Kabs is sick. But the D is playing well now and my main concern is getting Gomez help.

This kaberle for Eller and 1st talk in the main boards is ridiculous.
This team was built with a healthy Markov. We need to find a close replacement.

And Gomez will prbly improve his production while our D imo will not be able to sustain it's current level barring exceptional development of PK and or Weber...

I see Hammer / Spacek struggling further on more so than players on our top 6.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 01:02 AM
Intact

Leaf fan here, just want to say that I'm pretty sure Kypreos was speculating and this isn't actually a rumor. Anyways, there's no way we would trade Kaberle for a mid-late first because that's admitting a full scale rebuild with us trading one of our best players, as that makes us a MUCH worse team. This is also considering that Kaberle would probably not waive his no-trade clause. From a Habs perspective I think you guys are much better off if you looked into Kaberle come July 1st, although I hope we resign Kaberle before that chance comes around.

Intact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 01:05 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intact View Post
Anyways, there's no way we would trade Kaberle for a mid-late first because that's admitting a full scale rebuild with us trading one of our best players, as that makes us a MUCH worse team.
I forgot, Leafs won tonight... They're contenders again?

Better question is whether or not he wants to return to the Leafs...?

He must really love Toronto if he does re-sign.

Old
12-07-2010, 01:10 AM
Intact

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
I forgot, Leafs won tonight... They're contenders again?

Better question is whether or not he wants to return to the Leafs...?

He must really love Toronto if he does re-sign.
Burke is far to stubborn to admit a rebuild and if you asked him today, I am 100% certain he would say, "Our goal is to make the playoffs". And further Kaberle states time and time again that he loves Toronto, and hopefully he will come back, I've always been in the minority when it comes to keeping Kaberle amongst leafs fans.

Intact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 01:23 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intact View Post
Burke is far to stubborn to admit a rebuild and if you asked him today
Fair enough, but at trade deadline the Leafs will be out of the hunt, realistically speaking.

Are they now involved in negotiations to try to get a deal done?

If for whatever reasons they are not going to agree to terms, Burke would be in far greater heat for letting him walk 'for free'.

Logic says if he's not moved he's returning to TO I guess.