HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs Priority Remains a Top 6 Forward: Kaberle was a Suggestion

Old
12-07-2010, 01:27 AM
Habsfan2992
One of the 1st

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
Leafs probably need something right now.

They are weak down the center of course.

Burke wanted Gomez originally...

yeah there was a video with Burke and his staff talking about gettig Gomez..I'd like to see that video again because on the main board the Leaf fans are saying no way Burke would want Gomez and his cap hit.

Also I'm unsure of this though...If we were to trade for Kaberle wouldn't we only have to pay for the remainder of this season? Not the whole 4.7 or whatever he makes?

Habsfan2992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 01:28 AM
Kikizaz

Kaberle would be a pretty good idea for the deadline, but I really would rather someone like Sami Salo. (yes he is prone as <bleep> but still a terrific top 4 when he plays.) He is UFA in the offseason, and coming off pretty major injury, so he likely would not cost the moon to acquire. Since he is UFA there is no risk that he becomes deadweight should he not return to full capacity.

He has a terrific shot and is very good defensively (much better than kaberle)

For the Playoffs
Markov-Salo
Hammer-Spacek
Gorges-Gill
Subban-Weber

For Next season
Markov-Salo
Hammer-Spacek
Gorges-Subban
Weber

Kikizaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 01:37 AM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Canucks won't be sellers at the trade deadline. They're keeping Salo.

Gabe84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 01:42 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

It just seems kinda odd to be looking for a d-man when you cant even make room for pk subban at the moment. But I understand that things can change pretty fast in this league especially when you rely on some aging vets... just cant see burke trading with the habs though.... cliff fletcher maybe... but not burke.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 02:13 AM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
Took it from the trade boards.

I consider this a legitimate rumor given than Kypreos is usually spot on when it comes to the Habs

Reported Cammalleri signing first
Announced a day prior to Plekanec being signed that we should expect it.
Also called the Schneider deal.

Discuss.

Personally, I feel as though if this were to be true, that Pacioretty would probably be the main piece to the deal, which I really don't want to happen.
If Habs are looking for top 6 forward no way they trade Patches. He is having a break out season in Hamilton.

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 02:22 AM
JackZap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intact View Post
Leaf fan here, just want to say that I'm pretty sure Kypreos was speculating and this isn't actually a rumor. Anyways, there's no way we would trade Kaberle for a mid-late first because that's admitting a full scale rebuild with us trading one of our best players, as that makes us a MUCH worse team. This is also considering that Kaberle would probably not waive his no-trade clause. From a Habs perspective I think you guys are much better off if you looked into Kaberle come July 1st, although I hope we resign Kaberle before that chance comes around.
Is he going to resign in TO? I would imagine hes pissed at the whole situation

JackZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 02:35 AM
OutbreakCH

if were going for a rental i say we go for pitkanen

OutbreakCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 02:38 AM
S1C1L1AN78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan2992 View Post
yeah there was a video with Burke and his staff talking about gettig Gomez..I'd like to see that video again because on the main board the Leaf fans are saying no way Burke would want Gomez and his cap hit.

Also I'm unsure of this though...If we were to trade for Kaberle wouldn't we only have to pay for the remainder of this season? Not the whole 4.7 or whatever he makes?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8b26...=66&playnext=1

Its at the 4 minute mark , Burke does say Gomez is a good player but said there not in the running . Anyways , enjoy.

S1C1L1AN78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 04:09 AM
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1

burky picking up gomez would be GM suicide. he should do it.

HarlemsFinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 04:22 AM
The Right Price

I think it's still too early to make any decisions whether we should go for a cup run or not. I think we have to see the situation out to atleast mid-February. If we are looking strong then I'm up for it. Try to grab Kaberle, my second option would be Langenbrunner. And yes we would have to overpay. But I think a 1st + mid-prospect or a 2nd + top-prospect should easily be enough for an UFA D. Although I do believe in case we traded for Kaberle that we could resign him. He is close with Plekanec after all and Montreal is in Canada so work visas etc, living arrangements are easier. Plus, we are a serious cup contender for the next few years with our current core.

Which brings us to the arguement. We probably can grab Kaberle at the UFA market at a lower price than Western Conference teams anyway!! So we can have both Kaberle, Markov, ever improving Price, PK, Plek, Cammy, Eller, Pouliot etc. for the next season. I know waiting is hard but doesn't this sound a bit better to be honest.

But in conclusion, I think we'll need to see the situation out for a bit longer though. We have a good 7 army D regardless of Markov or Kaberle, which is a feat in itself!

Other issue to address is the top 6 winger. Langenbrunner is my option number 1. NJ need to shed salary, so he is easier to acquire.. 3rd+good prospect is about it.. or even less.

The Right Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 05:01 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

If we are trading any youth especially guys like Patches away or giving up a 1st rounder, Gauthier better make sure he has a deal in place to extend Kaberle if he is the player he wants. If it's just for a rental I'd rather keep shoping and see who else is available later in the season when more teams are out of contention. The way Burke got burned in the Kessel deal he will try everything possible to get back as much as possible in a trade

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 06:11 AM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

I don't understand why some posters "speak" in terms of not making a Cup run this year when in fact this team made it to the Conference finals without Markov, with Subban who had just 2 NHL games and MAB on defence? Why wouldn't the Habs try to accomplish more this year with a roster that is more familiar, coaching that is more familiar, a D that's stingy, and a lights out goalie? The Habs are gonna wait for Markov to make a playoff run? No thanks.........because that may never happen.

On Kaberle, I thought I read he was interested in an extension if Wilson goes. It maybe was Kaberle's Dad doing the talking though. And I don't believe Toronto would trade with the Habs involving a player of this magnitude.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 06:27 AM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

It'd be nice to acquire Kaberle without loosing our 1st, or Pacioretty or many other of our prospects that I'm enamored with. Not happening.

I would like us to make a deal with the TML that helps them improve, right now - I doubt the TML would be interested.

I would give them Boyd for free... Maybe he could contribute in TML. I am not at all looking forward to any firesale of TML. That means they'll be finshing in the bottom 5 and helping the B's. I can't believe the TML made that trade with the B's.

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 06:31 AM
Lars Eller Superstar*

Kaberle for MTL 1ST ?

YES !!

we will have to give a top 20 pick for a rental Kaberle that will give us a chance to win the cup

Lars Eller Superstar* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 06:34 AM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars Eller Superstar View Post
Kaberle for MTL 1ST ?

YES !!

we will have to give a top 20 pick for a rental Kaberle that will give us a chance to win the cup
The whole point of a rental is to take a run at the cup. If you're trading your 1st Rounder, it's because you have full intention of that pick being 30th overall, not Top 20

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 06:34 AM
couris

PG rarely trades his young players.

couris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 06:39 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Guys, one thing you seem to be missing. Nobody will trade UFA's as a rental just yet, especially teams who still think they can make the playoffs(Toronto, Minny, Carolina etc).

The only players available at a discount NOW are guys on teams trying to dump salary...Vancouver, Boston and New Jersey.

I can guarntee you Burke want somebody NHL ready who can play top 6 for Kaberle. he said last summer that picks and prospects wouldn't get it done. He's going to want Eller and/or Max Pac plus a 1st at least.

Monctonscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 06:49 AM
JayBee*

Why aren't we looking for a top 6 winger?

JayBee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 06:55 AM
Woland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
He's going to want Eller and/or Max Pac plus a 1st at least.
no deal . final .

Woland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 07:50 AM
Capitano

Schultz + 2nd round pick.

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 08:00 AM
HabsSlappy

I am going to sound like a Laffs fan, but we should trade for Brad Richards. He could play the point on the PP and let's face it, he is good in all three zones and a cup winner.

HabsSlappy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 08:09 AM
JayBee*

Leaf Fans really think they're going to get 2 1st round prospects and a 1st round pick for a rental?

LOL. Such a delusional group.

JayBee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 08:12 AM
skipp18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
Leaf Fans really think they're going to get 2 1st round prospects and a 1st round pick for a rental?

LOL. Such a delusional group.
They think that because its their GM who is delusional, he's the one setting their expectations. The only reason why Kaberle hasnt been moved yet is because Burke didn't get his asking price.

skipp18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 08:15 AM
neofury*

I say wait until he's UFA. I think any team that makes the playoffs has a chance at winning the cup for sure but honestly this year even despite that I think it would be a waste.

Wait until he's UFA and Plekanec can lure him over here. Then all we need is to re-sign Hammer and try to get a top 6 forward of some kind. Maybe if Benny is ready for a top 6 roll then a top 9 forward. Though I get the impression that Martin wants Pouliot on that 3rd line not because he considers him a 3rd liner but because I think he's trying to create 3 scoring lines and he's likely developing chemistry for that line in the mean time since they're a good fit

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 08:20 AM
Pleky Roks

I wouldn't mind having Kaberle in a Habs jersey at all. He's a decent defencemen and he has great offensive skills which the Habs could certainly use.....but our defence isn't the problem. We need another top 6 forward that has some size and can put the puck in the net!!! That's what we need.

We have solid depth, our bottom 6 forwards are great and have been chipping in with their fair share of goals so far this season, but we need to have 2 consistant scoring lines and we need to get our powerplay going better too.

Brad Richards is the perfect solution IMO. He's a great centerman....solid 2 way player, can score goals and set them up, he can play the point on the powerplay in Markov's absence and he's won a cup before and knows what it takes to get there.....oh yeah...he's a Conn Smythe winner too. His cap hit should be lower since we're 25 games into the season and he's a UFA at the end of the season so if we don't want to keep him, we don't have to.

I'd say we give Dallas our 1st round pick, Weber and Maxwell OR White in exchange for Richards.....that way our team stays the same as it is now, we just add Richards to the mix and we don't give up a current roster player. You move Gomez to the wing with Richards and Gionta, put Cammalleri back with Kostitsyn and Plekanec....there is 2 solid lines. Leave the defence as is, but put Richards on the blueline with Subban/Weber.

Pleky Roks is offline   Reply With Quote