HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Avery: We need to be like the Jets

Old
12-02-2010, 05:33 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

vCash: 500
I agree with 2k2. If the team thinks they're a good team, they'll play like one. What do you want to hear? that they think they're a bad team?

Hopefully Avery comes in with huge confidence and makes magic with Gabs.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 05:37 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Work hard, be confident and bring it to em. Beats some of the other stuff he's said in the media....I'd say it's an improvement.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 05:45 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
What exactly do we have to be confident about?

How about a modest work hard attitude. You know what happens to arrogant teams when they lose? They pick out players and people to blame. The locker room gets full of destructive personalities. And after little more than a year the team collapses from t he inside out.

We are not good enough to be arrogant.
swagger is about confidence, not arrogance. He isn't saying we will win because we are the best, rather game plan + hard work (+ henke) = victory. If that plan is executed, then there really is no team we can't beat in this league. If they come in thinking "oh, this will be a hard game for us to win," then they are already halfway on their way to defeat already.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 05:53 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
A lot of people seem to be associating the "Jets swagger" with pure arrogance. For someone that doesn't follow the team, that's an easy mistake to make. Rex Ryan, Bart Scott and a couple other guys do make arrogant comments to the media. However, if you follow the team on a day to day basis, ready all the interviews and pressers, you'll realize it's not really about arrogance, but supreme confidence. The Jets know how hard they work and expect to win. Forget about the things that the media focuses on, and realize that the Jets are damn hardworking.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2010, 05:54 PM
msv957

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
Good stuff.... You gotta love this attitude by Avery. Avery knows this team does have a lot of talent that can quite possibly go far in the playoffs with this type of attitude.

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 08:31 AM
Balej20*

As long as they don't start winning every game against bad teams with pure luck, only setting us up to fail once the games really start to matter and we start to play some real teams....

But whatever gets them motivated.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2010, 09:29 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Like the Jets, they let a bad team stick around and then won it late!

12-03-2010, 09:47 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Like the Jets, they let a bad team stick around and then won it late!
And if they lose to a bad team at home they would be like the Giants..

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 04:29 PM
XLJ

Torts said the same thing yesterday on the pregame in his interview with Sam. He said "we got to play with arrogance". Funny how people are bashing Avery when he is just repeating what the coach is saying.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 06:15 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by msg View Post
Torts said the same thing yesterday on the pregame in his interview with Sam. He said "we got to play with arrogance". Funny how people are bashing Avery when he is just repeating what the coach is saying.
And what's great, he came out with that type of attitude. Yeah, they were playing the Islanders, but so what, he still lived up to what he wants the team to do.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 06:30 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
And if they lose to a bad team at home they would be like the Giants..
The Cowboys are bad but they got talent. If you fall asleep anyone can lose to them. The Islanders are void of talent.

BroadwayBlues is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2010, 10:46 PM
94now

Jets? NY or Winnipeg? No way we have Jets personnel. No same coach either. We are going through favorable schedule patch. Unlike NYJ we lost to every good team.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 12:39 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beezer View Post
Eminger has been very good and I like Sauer he handles himself very well. I don't know about you but I just don't get that warm fuzzy feeling when Girardi and Staal are out there like everything will be alright. I just don't have that type of confidence in them. My point about Stevens was about having that ancor that makes everyone so much better. I would be happy if they had Jeff Beukeboom back, I thought he was a rock.
Boogard has a defined role and he knows what it is period. Boyle has gotten off to the start that he needed to have to remain with the team. Hopefully he continues to play well.

Apparently I must have hit a nerve with the Jets. Good Luck with them going forward, I'm sure it will work out for you like it always does.
So swagger means they have to make everything all right? Lol at the guy who has had about 4 or 5 people now tell him he sounds like a fool and he keeps going.

So according to you you need exactly one guy who has to be a certain type of player like Scott or Beuk on DEFENSE or else the team could never have swagger. You make no sense or you are completely clueless...i think it's both.

What nerve did you hit with the jets we are talking about Aves and his comment as it applies to the Rangers...dude whatever you're smoking you gotta stop it's impairing your intelligence.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 12:50 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
First, he said something 'great' is HIGHLY debatable.

Second, Avery and the lord? That's the best comparison you could think of?

Not everyone agrees that 'insufficient swagger' is whats holding us back. Maybe its inconsistent efforts. Like the efforts that give you less icetime.

Like most things Sean says, it will matter most to the fans and not the players. Thats what happens when you act like a fool and no one takes you seriously.
1) He didn't compare avery and the lord. He said that fan rxns on this board are often over the top, ignorant, and pessimistic to the point where God himself could say something positive and people'd still complain. DUnno if your smiley indicates you are joking based on the rest of your post it's hard to tell but in case you weren't...I think Beezer has put me in "assume people are dumb" mode.

2) Nobody not even Avery said all the team needs is swagger. Plus the team is developing it's own which is nice to see. He indicated the team would benefit from more confidence, attitude and swagger.

Sidenote when people say "that's great" to a comment like that it's because it seems great to those people...whether or not the comment fits into some arbitrary definition of great is not the point.

And you're on a mb filled with fans...and they are reacting to this quote...what's the point of what you said?

Old
12-05-2010, 01:11 PM
NYRDrummer31

I took it as just more fluff from Avery. He really SHOULD keep his mouth shut and let his play speak for itself, everyone wins, IMO.

NYRDrummer31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 01:40 PM
The Beezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by deriik2020 View Post
So swagger means they have to make everything all right? Lol at the guy who has had about 4 or 5 people now tell him he sounds like a fool and he keeps going.

So according to you you need exactly one guy who has to be a certain type of player like Scott or Beuk on DEFENSE or else the team could never have swagger. You make no sense or you are completely clueless...i think it's both.

What nerve did you hit with the jets we are talking about Aves and his comment as it applies to the Rangers...dude whatever you're smoking you gotta stop it's impairing your intelligence.

I do think it would be helpful for them. I really think that they lack some leadership especially on defense. I feel like they just don't have that one guy who provides some grit, leadership and that ability to make everyone around them better. I just don't see Staal in that capacity as of yet. In the long run they would all benifit from a player like that. It would make them a better group which should lead to them playing with more confidence on the ice.

This thread started about the Jets, so I will use them as an example. They trade for Santonio Holmes and he has provided them with some of the things mentioned above. He has played a big role and has (more importantly)backed up his talk by doing it on the field . He has taken guys under his wing and have tried to make them better. Obviously it helps that they are a talented team.

When I look at the Rangers I just don't see many guys like that. I really think that the guy who plays that role the best is Vinny Prospal and they are missing him now. I just feel like he has that ability to make guys better.

The Jets talk a big game and they play with the swagger because they have the talent to back it up on the field, unfortunately I just think that Rangers lack some of the talent/leadership to back it up on the ice. Believe me I hope that I am wrong and keep waiting for this team to gel into something great, but I just don't see it.

The Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 02:19 PM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

Here's an idea... just win. I don't care about your "swagger".

Winning solves EVERYTHING.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 08:15 AM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beezer View Post
I do think it would be helpful for them. I really think that they lack some leadership especially on defense. I feel like they just don't have that one guy who provides some grit, leadership and that ability to make everyone around them better. I just don't see Staal in that capacity as of yet. In the long run they would all benifit from a player like that. It would make them a better group which should lead to them playing with more confidence on the ice.

This thread started about the Jets, so I will use them as an example. They trade for Santonio Holmes and he has provided them with some of the things mentioned above. He has played a big role and has (more importantly)backed up his talk by doing it on the field . He has taken guys under his wing and have tried to make them better. Obviously it helps that they are a talented team.

When I look at the Rangers I just don't see many guys like that. I really think that the guy who plays that role the best is Vinny Prospal and they are missing him now. I just feel like he has that ability to make guys better.

The Jets talk a big game and they play with the swagger because they have the talent to back it up on the field, unfortunately I just think that Rangers lack some of the talent/leadership to back it up on the ice. Believe me I hope that I am wrong and keep waiting for this team to gel into something great, but I just don't see it.

That's reasonable I just disagree as I think we've seen a ton of that coming from Cally, even Dubs, hank, Girardi, Staal and Sauer isn't taking anyone udner his wing but the kid has b*&* and he's playing like a future great Ranger. Also on a side note we are so like the Jets. Barely beat bad team consistently (1-0 Isles) and get hammered, shutout or generally underwhelm against good ones (Beating from TB and recently Pitt.)

Both teams are good and improving but this year at least there are plenty of kinks that simply need time to fix as players and (in the Jets ) coaches improve.