HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Finland

Masi Marjamäki's hit on Kamil Kreps

Old
12-05-2010, 03:29 PM
Noma

vCash: 500
Masi Marjamäki's hit on Kamil Kreps

Masi Marjamäki's hit on Kamil Kreps has raised a lot of discussion in Finland. I'd like to hear opinions from "complete outsiders": Is this hit ugly or top 5 -material?

Marjamäki got 5 minutes from charging and an automatic game misconduct from this hit.

Last edited by Noma: 12-05-2010 at 03:40 PM.
Noma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 04:33 PM
dawgweed

It's a dirty hit.

Marjamäki leaves his feet before impact and the forearm targets the head of Kreps. Those hits are the ones that the NHL is trying to eliminate from their game. The hit is reminiscent of Steve Downie's hit on Dean McAmmond. Downie received a 20-game suspension from the NHL for his hit.

dawgweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 05:22 PM
Ciccarelli

Charging, hit to the head, jumps before hitting = should be a long rest for Masi. It would actually be only fair if Masi had to be out for as long as Kamil has to, which in worst case scenario is for the rest of his life.

Ciccarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 06:02 PM
Deliverance

I've personally seen that situation as a damn unlucky situation, more than terrible slaugther. The video-referees (dont know the term in english, hope you understood) saw that it wasnt worth of more misconduct than the 5+20. They saw with better quality that Marjamäki is trying to slow down before the hit. I've also noted that Kreps' weight is already behind and he even brakes (again, right term in english?) just before. This small delay caused Marjamäki to jump while getting the weight up, and the Kreps' body's position made it to look like a huge jump. Its not top 5 stuff because it includes charging, but not ugly either as there really werent any jump and hands were next to his body.

To note, that i dont have anything against Kärpät (exept Rosa, but im not a Blues fan either. He is just pathetic) or any sympathy to Ilves. Also i'm not huge fan of physical play, simply I just dont see anything worth of the talk about this. Lots of bad luck, unpleasant injury and horrible CEO* in the league to cause so much uproar.

*He used some right to get the original decision about the misconduct reconsidered. That rule only been used once before, due physical "assault" to a referee. And probably he did that now because of the feedback from Kärpät, the most popular team in finland. The most important part in here is that the CEO broke a rule, which requires him to give the information about reconsedering to the teams in 36 hours (http://blogit.mtv3.fi/latkassa/2010/12/04/moniajoa/)...

Last edited by Deliverance: 12-05-2010 at 06:20 PM.
Deliverance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 06:23 PM
dawgweed

Deliverance;

I can't agree with that assessment at all. Watch it more carefully and you can see that when Kreps starts slowing down to avoid the hit, Marjamäki counteracts and reaches toward Kreps with his arms as well as leaves his feet in order to maximize the impact.

I doubt that he intended to injure Kreps however there is a huge lack of respect for the opposing player. simply too dangerous a hit and Marjamäki needs to be held accountable. The NHL took severe action against Steve Downie and this league should do the same.

Here is the link to Steve Downie's hit as I haven't figured out how to embed the youtube video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=322zqTkL0-c

Last edited by dawgweed: 12-05-2010 at 06:30 PM.
Old
12-05-2010, 06:36 PM
dawgweed

Apparently Marjamäki likes the blind side hit behind the net.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dR-sb...eature=related

Old
12-06-2010, 01:27 PM
Korkki

Maybe I am blind, but for me this seems a clean hit with high speed from both participants. He is not jumping, his skates leave the ice after the collision, because the move continues. His arms are tight in his body and do not hit Kreps head.

The same day IFK:s defender hit SaiPa:s junior A aged 4th liner straight to the head with elbow and it was not even penalized.

Korkki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 01:48 PM
The Saw Is the Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korkki View Post
The same day IFK:s defender hit SaiPa:s junior A aged 4th liner straight to the head with elbow and it was not even penalized.

Not even 2min penalty... goodbye FEL

The Saw Is the Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 04:29 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgweed View Post
Marjamäki leaves his feet before impact
Not judging by these three still images:

They're blurry as hell and it's impossible to tell where Marjamäki's hands are during impact, so they can't be used to prove or disprove the dirtiness of contact. But one can pretty clearly tell his skates stay on the ice when the hit connects.

FiLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 09:08 PM
dawgweed

Actually FiLE, the still images prove the fact.

Look very carefully in the pictures and you can see in picture #2 which is prior to impact; the back foot has left the ice and the arms are reaching towards Krep's head. The back foot has left the ice because that is the source of the lift. Physics tells you that with a player turning to the right, and trying to reach/hit to the right, the left back foot becomes the launching pad. The still images also do not do justice to the "launch:"

In the video (rather than a still) you can clearly see the Marjamäki's torso starting it's upward motion prior to the hit.

for Saw is the Law; the other incident is irrelevant to this particular discussion however that one could and should be punished after the fact if a penalty was not assessed during the game. Although not as severe and probably even less intention to hurt involved, this particular hit reminds me of Patrice Cormier's hit. BTW Cormier was permantly suspended by the league for his hit.

All of these hits show a complete lack of respect for the opposing player and even the game itself. I'm not one that opposes hitting, fighting or anything like that in hockey but these type of nasty hits have to stop.

Old
12-07-2010, 01:03 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgweed View Post
Look very carefully in the pictures and you can see in picture #2 which is prior to impact; the back foot has left the ice and the arms are reaching towards Krep's head. The back foot has left the ice because that is the source of the lift. Physics tells you that with a player turning to the right, and trying to reach/hit to the right, the left back foot becomes the launching pad. The still images also do not do justice to the "launch:"
Funny, I don't see that. In my opinion there's no relation to the position with his feet between images #1 (where his both feet definitely still have contact with the ice) and #2. And even on #3, we can see (in my opinion) that he still has at least one skate on the ice.

I'm not arguing towards the cleanliness or dirtiness of said hit; I'm simply notioning the fact that it seems absurd to me that some folks can make the call judging by that blurry YouTube vid alone, especially when the league had an official video ref run the hit back and forth from multiple angles on likely tons better quality than this and deem the hit clean and not worth further suspensions (well, it still might lead to some, thanks to executive meddling). It might also be worth noting that according to the doctors who did the check-up on Kreps, he didn't get hurt due to the impact itself, but because his head hit the ice when he fell down.

Once more, I emphasize: I'm not bringing forth an opinion towards cleanliness or dirtiness, I'm just saying I think we, the regular viewers, don't have enough material to determine it either way.

Old
12-07-2010, 06:43 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Well, now the SM-liiga discplinary panel has reviewed the said incident and guess what they said... clean hit. No suspension whatsoever.

Old
12-07-2010, 09:34 AM
Finnpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiLe View Post
Well, now the SM-liiga discplinary panel has reviewed the said incident and guess what they said... clean hit. No suspension whatsoever.
One more stamp to the idiocy files of SM-Liiga. The management is a joke!

Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote