HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Frolov, unhappy with ice time, has private conversation with Tortorella

Old
12-07-2010, 10:08 AM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Wow.....

Honestly I think he does a lot of good things and I don't see him as being a lazy player. I mean he does try.... however I have to question his ability to grasp the team concept if he is so worried about personal accomplishment.

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 10:11 AM
Riche16
McCready guitar god

Screw you Frolov...

put a puck in the net before you go spouting off about how little ice time you have.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 10:12 AM
Vitto79

deal him for a lefty Dman ASAP. Waive Gilroy. Call up Zucccarello and it's all good

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 10:12 AM
eco's bones

Frolov should be putting up more points. He's not going to get another contract from us if he doesn't produce. Part of this is Tortorella finding a way to motivate him to play better. 4th line is not going to do it but if he's being outplayed by everyone else that's where he goes. I understand the 'kick in the pants' logic but I don't think it's going to get the results. I wouldn't just go trading him for anything though--deadline comes around and he could bring in a very high draft pick. The guy has Penguins (who need scoring wingers) written all over him.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 10:13 AM
Miller Time NYR
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken View Post
Wow.....

Honestly I think he does a lot of good things and I don't see him as being a lazy player. I mean he does try.... however I have to question his ability to grasp the team concept if he is so worried about personal accomplishment.
What good things? He contributes next to nothing offensively and play ****** defense.if he was trying so hard you'd figure he'd be doing something positive.

Miller Time NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 10:18 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Frolov is crying about having to play defense. In the Rangers system,the center is not the only forward responsible for being the 3rd forward high or helping out down low in the defensive zone. First forward in is responsible for being the 3rd guy high or getting in there and helping out the D. Some teams have the center be that guy in all situations but the Rangers system doesn't.
Rangers have system?

I don't think he complains about playing the defense. He complains that the chance he was promised was taken away prematurely. Gaborik injury should have prolonged his assignment to top 6 in his opinion, I think. Though ****. Some people are out of luck. Frolov is a good player, scoring doesn't make player better or worse. It just makes him more valuable.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 10:22 AM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Frolov should be putting up more points. He's not going to get another contract from us if he doesn't produce. Part of this is Tortorella finding a way to motivate him to play better. 4th line is not going to do it but if he's being outplayed by everyone else that's where he goes. I understand the 'kick in the pants' logic but I don't think it's going to get the results. I wouldn't just go trading him for anything though--deadline comes around and he could bring in a very high draft pick. The guy has Penguins (who need scoring wingers) written all over him.
If he gets another contract from us I will flip a ****. I want him gone NOW. If we can dump him for a 4th rounder do it...IDC. We have guys that I would rather see getting his minutes such as MZA or Grachev....

IMO they can struggle at the NHL level and get experience. I was a huge defender of Frolov early in the season but I think its obvious he has lost a step and likely won't regain his early career success.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 10:25 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Rangers have system?

I don't think he complains about playing the defense. He complains that the chance he was promised was taken away prematurely. Gaborik injury should have prolonged his assignment to top 6 in his opinion, I think. Though ****. Some people are out of luck. Frolov is a good player, scoring doesn't make player better or worse. It just makes him more valuable.
We brought him in to score and he hasn't done it. With or without Gaborik, he should be producing more than he has. Torts has asked him to shoot more and go to the net more, and he hasn't done that either.

Frolov got the ice time he was promised but failed to take advantage of it. If he thought he would continue to get that ice time regardless of his play, he was sadly mistaken.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 10:25 AM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdanger20 View Post
What good things? He contributes next to nothing offensively and play ****** defense.if he was trying so hard you'd figure he'd be doing something positive.
Puck Possession, Cycling, Creating some scoring chances, Effort....

He does some good things for sure. He is mediocre defensively, isn't finishing, and has now made it clear he doesn't like his ice time -- I am not defending him at all, just saying he does have some positives to go along with those negatives. If he begins scoring no one will say anything.

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 10:26 AM
OverTheCap

Starting to turn into a Kotalik situation... struggles offensively, unwilling to concentrate on defense, gets less ice time and then complains about it. At least Frolov hasn't been a healthy scratch yet, which really set off Kotalik, but venting about ice time isn't a good sign.

Avery and Anisimov have seen their ice time reduced this season and neither complained about it. And Torts increased their ice time once they started playing better, and that's all Frolov has to do. Kotalik did the same thing last year and it just doesn't make sense... do what the coach asks of you and you'll be given more ice time, whining about it will only make it worse.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 10:28 AM
Blueblood 2

Torts: "Soon, everything would change". That is my key take away here. Rangers are up to something and there are anxious teams out there. Sather is tipping a few down in Florida too.

Blueblood 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 10:30 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Sather doesn't like players going to media complaining about playing time or their role on the team.

Brashear and Kotalik had the same issues last season and they were not here for very long.
Yes, this does sound very Kotalik-esque, doesn't it.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 10:33 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueblood 2 View Post
Torts: "Soon, everything would change". That is my key take away here. Rangers are up to something and there are anxious teams out there. Sather is tipping a few down in Florida too.
Frolov was unsigned for the longest time and probably has produced less than even the pessimists might have surmised. I'd be really surprised if there was much interest in him at all.

haohmaru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 10:35 AM
Miller Time NYR
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken View Post
Puck Possession, Cycling, Creating some scoring chances, Effort....

He does some good things for sure. He is mediocre defensively, isn't finishing, and has now made it clear he doesn't like his ice time -- I am not defending him at all, just saying he does have some positives to go along with those negatives. If he begins scoring no one will say anything.
to be quite honest any decent hockey player can do those things, grachev looked like a near clone of frolov when he was up,he was bigger, played the boards as good if not better, and created equal amounts of offense. And even if he started scoring I wouldn't praise him after his actions and comments.

Miller Time NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 10:38 AM
Blueblood 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
Frolov was unsigned for the longest time and probably has produced less than even the pessimists might have surmised. I'd be really surprised if there was much interest in him at all.
Move doesn't need to include Frolov. He wasn't told to be patient because we are going to trade you! Trading recent UFA signings doesn't usually happen unless they request it.

Blueblood 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 10:40 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Usually when theres rumblings of an attitude issue (as there was with Frolov in LA), theres some truth behind it.

Theres a reason he couldnt get more than a one year contract in the NHL.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 10:53 AM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
Still has just as many points as Christensen, everyone's favorite "untapped offensive potential" machine.

Count me as someone who would rather lose EC than Frolov any day. Frolov at least works hard along the boards and doesn't always turn the puck over.
They can both take a hike as far as I'm concerned...

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 11:01 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersRising View Post
Wasnt this his same feelings in LA?

12-07-2010, 11:05 AM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
I don't know if the translation is capturing the true tone. "Humiliating 4th line? C'mon.
That's the Russian press for you. The Russian author's intro to the article includes the sentence "Despotic coach John Tortorella hasn't forgiven the player for a little slump and moved him to the fourth line..." That's the kind of tone the players are approached with. The reporters are looking for any signs of discontent that they can sell to their readers as hope a Russian player will return to Russia.

Also, for a high-end offensive Russian player (we can debate whether Frolov actually qualifies) being demoted to the 4th line is humiliating...

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 11:05 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Not surprised at all. He has a history of disgruntlement when it comes to playing time. He feels he deserves it, not that he needs to earn it.

He's too slow to play on a line with Gaborik. He's great at the cycle, but horrendous when it comes to a transition game. Reminds me of Kotalik, tbh. Wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see him shipped off sooner rather than later. Slats doesn't like guys speaking to the media like that, and Torts probably doesn't want his attitude rubbing off on Artie.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 11:09 AM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrowne View Post
Anisimov was bang on with his comments - good kid.
That's cause he knows I'll translate anything he says to the Russian press. Not sure Frolov got the memo.

Old
12-07-2010, 11:12 AM
Chimp

I can understand his unhappiness, but not his conclusion as to why he should be unhappy about it. He only has to look in the mirror to understand who caused it and who can change his situation. This stands true for any problem.

I think it feels alot weirder to see Anisimov on the 4th line. What has he done to deserve that? Christensen on the 1st line, Anisimov on the 4th. Really?

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 11:14 AM
squishy

Quote:
Frolov is crying about having to play defense. In the Rangers system,the center is not the only forward responsible for being the 3rd forward high or helping out down low in the defensive zone. First forward in is responsible for being the 3rd guy high or getting in there and helping out the D. Some teams have the center be that guy in all situations but the Rangers system doesn't.
To be fair, I don't think he was crying about having to play defense. He just said that it was different from the way he played for 7 years and he needed to adjust initially.

Old
12-07-2010, 11:20 AM
silverfish
KEVIN!

Doesn't look like anything's changed for Frolov:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gross
#NYRangers lines: Fedotenko-Stepan-Gaborik, Dubinsky-Anisimov/Drury-Callahan, Avery-Boyle-Prust, Frolov-Christensen-Boogaard/White.
http://twitter.com/#!/AGrossRecord

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 11:20 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

This is history repeating itself with what happened to Fro in LA.

Somehow I dont think Torts is the kind of guy to cave to a player.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote