HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Frolov, unhappy with ice time, has private conversation with Tortorella

Old
12-07-2010, 10:22 AM
azrok22

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
This is history repeating itself with what happened to Fro in LA.

Somehow I dont think Torts is the kind of guy to cave to a player.
Agree. Unless Frolov has a drastic change in play, he's more likely to see the fifth line than the top two.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 10:26 AM
The Mouth

I agree Anisimov is getting jobbed by Torts. it took 20 NHL games for Stepan to play with Gabby.

I think The thought of Anisimov playing with Gabby regularly seems to be some kind of an abomination to Torts.

I understand Stepan has better vision but you know what he is a rookie, terrible on faceoffs and call me old fashioned but he needs to wait his turn.

Anisimov played on the 4th line all last year and he deserves at least 14-17 minutes a game. Especially after his success with the first line before Gaborik's return.

This isn't an anti-Stepan post but more of a Pro- Anisimov one, he is defensively responsible and gets better with more playing time as we have seen throughout his whole pro career.

Playing with Boogy and Todd White 6 minutes a night is stunting his progress as a Pro.

If this is truly about playing the kids and the future Anisimov should be playing 1st line over EC and Stepan.

The Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 10:29 AM
XLJ

This is Kotalik all over again. Torts did try for a while keeping him with Gaborik. Frolov did nothing to show he deserves top line minutes.

Sather needs to trade him. Call up Weise and give him those 7-9 minutes that Frolov is now playing. I'm sure Weise would be happy with those minutes and play with a ton of energy something Frolov is not doing.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 10:29 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Maybe Torts doesnt want to get too attached to AA

12-07-2010, 10:31 AM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Frolov's one stubborn *****.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 10:34 AM
eco's bones

In his defense he's not nearly as bad as Kotalik defensively and a lot less inclined to take dumb ass penalties and he's not nearly as shy to use his body as Zherdev. Some people here would have given Zherdev a long term $5 mil per year contract. From Micheletti--Torts wants Frolov to shoot a lot more. And he's been snake bit a little--like the other night LeClaire probably made his best save against him off a rebound in close.

If he doesn't get it going--he's still valuable trade bait especially around the deadline. The Rangers can decide then from their position in the standings whether to add a d-man or go the prospect/draft pick routes. Frolov could help us with either.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 10:37 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Frolov; "I want to see more ice time."

Tortorella; "Interesting. I want to see you put the puck in the net for a change."

Frolov; "I have 5 goals"

Tortorella; "You have 3 goals. Ones the other team put in for you don't count. if you want more ice time, you need to score. End of conversation."

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 10:37 AM
Vitto79

safe to say no more dealing or signing Russians

keep AA and Vtank and that's it. Go the freaking KHL and have fun

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 10:43 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

rut ro reordge....maybe Frolov should look at Wade Redden and see how his conversations like these with the coach went.

Quote:
The coach promised that soon everything will change
Yup...just not the way you're hoping buddy. See you in the KHL next year homes!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mouth View Post
I agree Anisimov is getting jobbed by Torts. it took 20 NHL games for Stepan to play with Gabby.

I think The thought of Anisimov playing with Gabby regularly seems to be some kind of an abomination to Torts.

I understand Stepan has better vision but you know what he is a rookie, terrible on faceoffs and call me old fashioned but he needs to wait his turn.

Anisimov played on the 4th line all last year and he deserves at least 14-17 minutes a game. Especially after his success with the first line before Gaborik's return.

This isn't an anti-Stepan post but more of a Pro- Anisimov one, he is defensively responsible and gets better with more playing time as we have seen throughout his whole pro career.

Playing with Boogy and Todd White 6 minutes a night is stunting his progress as a Pro.

If this is truly about playing the kids and the future Anisimov should be playing 1st line over EC and Stepan.
It's hard to coach guys when there is a communication barrier. In the final minutes of a crucial game and you're putting your top line out there, you use your 30 second time out and everyone comes to the bench, you want to make sure everyone understands your language and gets every detail, not just some of it. I'm sure that has as much to do with it as anything.

Last edited by vipernsx: 12-07-2010 at 10:48 AM.
vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 10:45 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
safe to say no more dealing or signing Russians

keep AA and Vtank and that's it. Go the freaking KHL and have fun
Don't want Datsuk, eh?

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 10:48 AM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Maybe you should learn to do something on the ice and you would get more ice time? Think before you make a ass out of yourself Frolov.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 10:53 AM
mullichicken25

he should try a few more wrap arounds

that'll do it....

mullichicken25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 10:57 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
It's hard to coach guys when there is a communication barrier. In the final minutes of a crucial game and you're putting your top line out there, you use your 30 second time out and everyone comes to the bench, you want to make sure everyone understands your language and gets every detail, not just some of it. I'm sure that has as much to do with it as anything.
I don't think it is a communication barrier of some sort. Would YOU understand what Torts is saying? He is cursing non stop, which is neither bad or good communication.
Torts is good on getting a lot out of plumbers. He cannot coach anyone else. I don't blame Torts for Fro's performance, but he is no help.

Old
12-07-2010, 11:03 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
Maybe you should learn to do something on the ice and you would get more ice time? Think before you make a ass out of yourself Frolov.
I read somewhere Russians will not buy a newspaper that wouldn't say that Americans are A-holes. With Torts it is an an easy thing.

Old
12-07-2010, 11:05 AM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
I don't think it is a communication barrier of some sort. Would YOU understand what Torts is saying? He is cursing non stop, which is neither bad or good communication.
Torts is not the first and won't be the last. Watch Oil Change on the NHL Network. I couldn't believe there were sound pauses while Renney was talking to his team. They were f-bombs too. Renney's one of the classiest people you'll see. All coaches curse. If that's a blockage from communicating with your players... There's a problem with the players... They're big boys.

Quote:
Torts is good on getting a lot out of plumbers. He cannot coach anyone else. I don't blame Torts for Fro's performance, but he is no help.
Frolov is his own problem. He's too stubborn. He obviously needs to change his game in order to get the minutes he wants. What was his excuse in LA? Probably the same reason why he's not getting ice time here.

Last edited by Florida Ranger: 12-07-2010 at 11:20 AM.
Old
12-07-2010, 11:07 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

I fail to see how this is Tortorella's fault, or has anything to do with Frolov being Russian.

Underacheiveing player comes in, underachieves after 1st line minutes. Player gets demoted, possibly traded, until he recovers.

See; Kotalik, Higgins, Prucha, Cheechoo, ect.

Old
12-07-2010, 11:08 AM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

Anisimov is a class act

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 11:18 AM
Pizza

Apparently Frolov missed the memo that clearly states the following:

"non production + sense of entitlement = less ice time".

Seriously wondering how much longer he's with the team after this.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 11:21 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

@ Russian newspapers.

"What’s happened that in recent games you’ve been moved to the humiliating fourth line with the goon Boogard?"

Old
12-07-2010, 11:24 AM
Avery316
guilty as charged

Throwing arty's quotes in at the end there made Frolov look even worse........maybe he should take a page from Avery's book and WORK his bag off to get top line minutes. Can't say I hate what torts has done with him thus far, its alright Fro there's always the KHL.........

Avery316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 11:25 AM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Torts gives wingers completely different tasks, making them work more on defense.
One: Tortorella teaches defense. Another one of his accountability thing he does.

Two: Frolov doesn't enjoy responsibility.

Old
12-07-2010, 11:32 AM
pld459666

Not sure I understand why the private conversation between Frolov and Torts couldn't remain private.

some of these guys are just plain brain dead

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 11:42 AM
CanyonofBlueshirts

Frolov should get used to the idea of being in the KHL - he deserves to be there:

Prior to this interview, Frolov was barely holding onto his roster spot. As a player with a one year contract, who in all likelihood has no future with the organization, he should been sent to the press box for the next few games. Replace him with Mats Zuccarello or another player from Hartford. Nobody is bigger than the team. This is not the NFL, complaining to the media about playing time (Russian media or not) is unacceptable.

If you do not earn your ice time you do not deserve to play; regardless of past years performances or contract. If Frolov wants to be in a top six role he needs to earn it and thus far he hasn't. He should warm up to the idea of playing in the KHL where defense is secondary and NHL caliber players can put forth half the effort and still make the big bucks.

CanyonofBlueshirts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 11:43 AM
CanyonofBlueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by msg View Post
This is Kotalik all over again. Torts did try for a while keeping him with Gaborik. Frolov did nothing to show he deserves top line minutes.

Sather needs to trade him. Call up Weise and give him those 7-9 minutes that Frolov is now playing. I'm sure Weise would be happy with those minutes and play with a ton of energy something Frolov is not doing.
im just happy that frolov has a one year deal. imagine if kotalik was still here? he has another year left still.

Old
12-07-2010, 11:43 AM
CanyonofBlueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBergy86 View Post
Anisimov is a class act
yeah, it was great to see him not bite and say you need earn your ice time.