HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Concerned about Simmonds

Old
12-06-2010, 07:44 PM
Johnny Utah

vCash: 500
Simmonds is the most physical top 9 forward we have....teams would love to have this guy...even when he isn't scoring he is hitting, playing well defensively, and occasionally scrapping...

Kopitar and Brown are prob our two best forwards, Williams is a UFA, Smyth is old and has a NTC, Stoll has been solid, Poni was and will be a UFA, Handzus will be a UFA, Simmonds is technically probably the most valuable top 9 forward behind Kopi and our captain...

Last edited by Johnny Utah: 12-06-2010 at 07:51 PM.
Johnny Utah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 08:49 PM
Anjae11Eden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
I wouldn't go that far. He still doesn't use his line mates very well. Richardson sprung him for a good chance and Simmonds never got Osgood to move on his 2-on-1. When you show shot the whole way, an NHL goalie will make the save look easy and Osgood did.

It was a clear cut 2-on-1 and Simmonds didn't even try and get a better angle on Osgood before releasing his shot. He tried several moves when it was 1-on-3 and does nothing with a 2-on-1.
I would wholeheartedly agree with Zad that it was Simmond's best period of the season.
You're breaking down one offensive opportunity (which is highly debatable, since the pass to Richardson was covered quite well by the Detroit defender) to say that it wasn't his best period.
Simmonds was all over the place in a good way; he was making great little plays all over the ice, including plays to keep the puck in the offensive end and keep the cycle going. There was a TON more to his play than that one offensive opportunity that you didn't like his decision on.
BTW, when all you have is shot, then that's all you have. If you don't have a better than 50% chance of getting that pass across, you shoot it and hope for a goal or a rebound. He did the right thing IMO. I'd rather see him do that, than a bonehead pass that starts the play going the other way with an odd-man rush.

Anjae11Eden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 09:36 PM
ju87

that play was a textbook 2 on 1 for the Kings and the Wings. Simmonds was the puck carrier with the other forward going back door... if you don't have the pass, you shoot.

The Wings played it perfectly too... the D man let Osgood take the puck carrier / shooter and took away the pass.

can't criticise Simmonds on that one. not every play has to result in a goal to be considered successful.

ju87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 10:33 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
ha ha, I wrote career. My bad, I meant season. I had his career in my head and was thinking about how far he has fallen from last season, if at all. Sorry about that.
Okay, I can agree with this season, but that really isn't saying much.

The Kings still need more from their third line. Getting Poni back should help, they were just getting used to each other and he broke his finger. It should help that they have three days of practice before the game against Calgary.

Go Kings!

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2010, 10:46 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by ju87 View Post
that play was a textbook 2 on 1 for the Kings and the Wings. Simmonds was the puck carrier with the other forward going back door... if you don't have the pass, you shoot.

The Wings played it perfectly too... the D man let Osgood take the puck carrier / shooter and took away the pass.

can't criticise Simmonds on that one. not every play has to result in a goal to be considered successful.
... Excellent post, and I totally agree. Simmonds chose the option with the best chance for a positive result at that time, and also consider he has precious split-seconds to make his mind up.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 10:52 AM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MEL View Post
ummmm...no Fast??? No! Gifted ..yes...wrap a rounder..ALWAYS! I liked Fro, but please d not make it something he never was or will be.. Just ask Coach T for the Rags.
Lets be honest. Our coach changed Frolov from a slash, pass and shoot player to a perimeter board cycle guy, because Frolov had the skills to play that game and that is what the coach wanted. Frolov was fast, enough. Frolov's offensive game suffered greatly from the change because, before Murray, Frolov was effective from the dots in (he played very well with MC) and rarely got to those areas once Murray dictated that the 3rd line cycle constantly in order to wear down opponents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
... Excellent post, and I totally agree. Simmonds chose the option with the best chance for a positive result at that time, and also consider he has precious split-seconds to make his mind up.
From my perspective it looked like Ritchie had a step on the defender, but I'll admit that I was on the otherside of the ice (all the way across from my normal seats).

As to the split-second decision rationale, ALL OF HOCKEY involves split-second decisions, so I cant give that one too much credence. Good players almost always make the right split-second decisions, bad ones don't (Caveat: not saying Simmonds is a bad player).

From where I was sitting, I thought Simmer should have passed or at minimum shot low to the far side possibly creating a rebound chance for Ritchie instead of putting it into Ozzie's chest. His shot was an easily handles shot that he didnt even try to change the release point on. I'll take a shot on goal (Booby Orr: "There is no substitute for a shot on Goal") but I am still not sure that was the best play that could have been made.

Nevertheless, we need more Simmer of last season or last game's third period than we have had Simmer of this season. He has not been "ON" his game, and no one can dispute that.

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote