HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gregg Sutch's Blog: "How life has changed since being drafted by the Buffalo Sabres"

Old
12-05-2010, 11:21 AM
Summit72

vCash: 500
Gregg Sutch's Blog: "How life has changed since being drafted by the Buffalo Sabres"

Check it out.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...lo-Sabres.html

His team is tearing up the OHL.

Summit72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 12:10 PM
gaf
Occupied Territory

Thanks for the link, it was a good read. Funny line about Nieds. and interesting to see he keeps up w/ other prospects and Tyler Myers. Good insight on his thoughts about the organizations trust in his coach.

gaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 01:31 PM
Tanks4daMemories
good 2b a tankster

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaf View Post
Thanks for the link, it was a good read. Funny line about Nieds. and interesting to see he keeps up w/ other prospects and Tyler Myers. Good insight on his thoughts about the organizations trust in his coach.

His is such a great story and all his blogs show him to be a down to earth person and a really nice guy. I hope he makes it.

Tanks4daMemories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 03:19 PM
SilverNitro23

He's one of my favorite prospect. Glad to hear he knows what it takes. I hope to see him in Blue and Gold someday, because I know I'll be buying a jersey with his name on it for sure.

SilverNitro23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 04:58 PM
Ghills23

Great read. Hopefully He adds more to the blog and does it during training camp next year.

Ghills23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2010, 05:23 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghills23 View Post
Great read. Hopefully He adds more to the blog and does it during training camp next year.
He has more than just that one entry (link was in the Prospect Thread too) from after the U-18's up through the end of last season.

12-05-2010, 06:46 PM
Ghills23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
He has more than just that one entry (link was in the Prospect Thread too) from after the U-18's up through the end of last season.
I saw that, I read the one after his season ended last year and his expectations for the draft.

Ghills23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 09:36 AM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

That was a nice read, and it was cool to see his reaction to being around NHL players like Miller.

That being said, I'm not sure he's really got any shot at making the Sabres. 8 pts in 43 games in his draft year makes me astounded he was even drafted.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 09:53 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpatterson14206 View Post
That was a nice read, and it was cool to see his reaction to being around NHL players like Miller.

That being said, I'm not sure he's really got any shot at making the Sabres. 8 pts in 43 games in his draft year makes me astounded he was even drafted.
Sutch's game is about more than just points -- he's a rangy, physical kid who is strong on the walls and enjoys contact. Hell, he's already doubled last season's production through half the season. He was well-regarded prior to the injury-plagued season he endured last year too -- Hockey Canada brought him along to the U-18's. He's not just a plug.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 11:02 AM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Sutch's game is about more than just points -- he's a rangy, physical kid who is strong on the walls and enjoys contact. Hell, he's already doubled last season's production through half the season. He was well-regarded prior to the injury-plagued season he endured last year too -- Hockey Canada brought him along to the U-18's. He's not just a plug.
I'm not a big fan of drafting people to be fourth line players. Boom or Bust IMO. His producation has certainly jumped which is promising, but I'd obviously need to see him play before passing judgement.

Going to the U-18's doesn't really get me that excited, there's plenty of guys who make Canada's U-20 teams that aren't viable NHL prospects.

Could you explain what you mean by "rangy"?

Old
12-07-2010, 11:27 AM
joshjull

Quote:
I'm not a big fan of drafting people to be fourth line players. Boom or Bust IMO. His producation has certainly jumped which is promising, but I'd obviously need to see him play before passing judgement.

Going to the U-18's doesn't really get me that excited, there's plenty of guys who make Canada's U-20 teams that aren't viable NHL prospects.

Why do you think he was drafted to be a 4th liner?

Could you flesh out exactly what you mean by your boom or bust approach?

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 11:34 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:

Rangy, as in long-limbed or lanky. He shouldn't have an issue carrying more muscle as he matures and given his style, that's a good thing.

Regarding the rest, players who are recognized by their national programs and represent their country may or may not turn into NHLers. It certainly doesn't hurt to have that sort of attention or to be shown that sort of confidence. Not everyone (particularly coming out of the 5th round) is going to be a scorer. Culturally, the Sabres have moved more towards size, physical play and character in their later round picks. Some of them will undoubtedly not make it, that's the nature of prospect development.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 11:38 AM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Why do you think he was drafted to be a 4th liner?

Could you flesh out exactly what you mean by your boom or bust approach?
I don't know exactly what the Sabres had in mind when drafting him, but I'm not sure you'd take a guy and project him to be a top 6 winger when he's had 8 pts in 43 games in his draft year. Obviously stats aren't everything, but exactly how skilled can he be putting up those numbers against his peers.

I'd prefer picking guys whose celings are higher, but are risky. Guys like Vatanen, Weal, Rajala, Kistyn, Kabanov, etc

I'd rather take somebody whose got a 10% chance of being a top six forward or a top four defenseman over somebody who has a 75% chance of being a third of fourth liner or a five/six defenseman.

There's plenty of veterans in the league that fill those latter roles that can be had for no draft picks whatsoever. Obviously size and grit is still important, but not at the cost of talent.