HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Frolov, unhappy with ice time, has private conversation with Tortorella

Old
12-07-2010, 11:45 AM
TrueBlueNorwegian

vCash: 500
I was actually pretty excited about this signing. But yet again we were dissapointed in yet another underachieving player.
In my eyes Frolov has turned out to be just another Russian in a long line of Russian hockey players with stinky attitudes!

TrueBlueNorwegian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 11:46 AM
CanyonofBlueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlueNorwegian View Post
I was actually pretty escited about this signing. But yet again we were dissapointed in yet another underachieving player.
In my eyes Frolov has turned out to be just another Russian in a long line of Russian hockey players with stinky attitudes!
I was too. Funny how 'enigmatic' is always a term for Russian wingers in NY.

CanyonofBlueshirts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 11:49 AM
Gardner McKay
Cupcake schedule.

vCash: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers16 View Post
Frolov needs to go away. What concerns me is if his attitude rubs off on Anisimov.

And what concerns me is, in the Brad Richards thread many people are quick to throw Anisimov out there as the key cog in the Richards deal they would be willing to give up.

The Rangers don't have a sufficient enough defense even with Henke to win a cup, and adding Richards won't help our young defense.

All we will be doing is repeating the past, trading away young players players like Norstrom, Middleton, etc. now Anisimov, and giving up on a young kid who plays his ass off, says all the right things and wants to do nothing but succeed, for a guy who has already won a cup, and is going to be looking for contract length and money vs. chance to win.

This may be ass backwards to most people but... if Richards had never won a cup, I would be more inclined to want him on the Rangers because at 30 his time is running out to win one and have a much greater want to win one, rather than worrying about where his final payday will be the greatest and who will offer him the longest contract.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 11:54 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by msg View Post
This is Kotalik all over again.
Kotalik was a complete abomination on the ice. He lost 90% of 1-on-1 battles, was defensively incompetent, couldn't handle the puck, and ultimately became a liability on the point. Yet, he wanted more ice-time. . . .

Frolov hasn't played bad.... He just hasn't played good. Unlike Kotalik, Frolov puts a respectable effort in all three zones.

Not suggesting Fro deserves what he's asking for. As far as I'm concerned, our coach has said he's going to reward players with more ice-time if they earn it. I love that mentality. Our team is composed of "hard working players", so Frolov should know he has to do more than just hustle if he wants that opportunity.

Kotalik also had a 3yr/9M contract with a limited ntc (which apparently don't exist in Sathers world). Frolov's on a tryout; he has a lot more pressure than Kots.

I think Frolov's a goner when Prospal eventually returns. He doesn't really fit this team. Dubinsky has solidified himself as a top-6 LW. He'll have success opposite Gabs or Cally. Frolov was supposed to be that other option there and he just hasn't performed.

Seems like the only goals he's capable of scoring nowadays are down-low. He has no confidence in his shot. At all. No wrister, no slapper. He's solid along the boards, but so was ****ing Marcel Hossa. I'd rather see him create his own scoring chances and fail (short-term), than watch him score one of his patented wraparounds that somehow get passed the goalie.

Still think we should have traded for Versteeg when he was available.. (Or Byf)

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 12:03 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

Is this some kind of joke? Want more minutes? Score some damn points then

Yeah, you weren't brough here to be a bottom 6 but that's how you play

Drury wasn't here to be bottom 6 either but he hasn't earned a top 6 position and he knows that.

Nothing worse then an overpaid bottom 6 player who actually complains he's not getting minutes he doesn't deserve.

Last edited by Hockey Team: 12-07-2010 at 12:08 PM.
Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 12:20 PM
Ollie Queen
After 5 years...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabborik View Post
And what concerns me is, in the Brad Richards thread many people are quick to throw Anisimov out there as the key cog in the Richards deal they would be willing to give up.

The Rangers don't have a sufficient enough defense even with Henke to win a cup, and adding Richards won't help our young defense.

All we will be doing is repeating the past, trading away young players players like Norstrom, Middleton, etc. now Anisimov, and giving up on a young kid who plays his ass off, says all the right things and wants to do nothing but succeed, for a guy who has already won a cup, and is going to be looking for contract length and money vs. chance to win.

This may be ass backwards to most people but... if Richards had never won a cup, I would be more inclined to want him on the Rangers because at 30 his time is running out to win one and have a much greater want to win one, rather than worrying about where his final payday will be the greatest and who will offer him the longest contract.
Not that I want to trade AA but you do have to give to get and Richards is a 90 point player universally acknowledged for his strong two-way game. He is better defensively, at least at this point, than AA. In addition to being just as good defensively (most likely an upgrade) Richards will help us score more goals which helps Hank, especially when the defense won't suffer. Richards also plays the point on the PP incredibly well, which we need and is the kind of elite playmaker needed not to jumpstart Gabby but to guarantee guys like Dubi and Cally keep up their numbers. Just saying.

Ollie Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 12:22 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mouth View Post
I agree Anisimov is getting jobbed by Torts. it took 20 NHL games for Stepan to play with Gabby.

I think The thought of Anisimov playing with Gabby regularly seems to be some kind of an abomination to Torts.

I understand Stepan has better vision but you know what he is a rookie, terrible on faceoffs and call me old fashioned but he needs to wait his turn.

Anisimov played on the 4th line all last year and he deserves at least 14-17 minutes a game. Especially after his success with the first line before Gaborik's return.

This isn't an anti-Stepan post but more of a Pro- Anisimov one, he is defensively responsible and gets better with more playing time as we have seen throughout his whole pro career.

Playing with Boogy and Todd White 6 minutes a night is stunting his progress as a Pro.

If this is truly about playing the kids and the future Anisimov should be playing 1st line over EC and Stepan.
you dont get much more pro AA than me...but Torts is right here, AA's play has sagged offensively (defensively hes a rock, so i dont worry about that)...you dont put someone who is struggling as your #1 center...as AA's game comes back around, i think we may see him there.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 12:25 PM
KotsyJr
49ERS/NYR/RAPS/JAYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
@ Russian newspapers.

"What’s happened that in recent games you’ve been moved to the humiliating fourth line with the goon Boogard?"
hilarious.

KotsyJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 12:35 PM
Evolved83

I can't stand that he skates so freakin slowly... and if he has the nerve to tell the media how HE is unhappy, then he can go to the KHL....

Evolved83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 12:37 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Give him his walking papers.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 12:40 PM
Evolved83

haha they just mentioned the whole thing with frolov on nhl live...

Evolved83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 12:48 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
safe to say no more dealing or signing Russians

keep AA and Vtank and that's it. Go the freaking KHL and have fun
Safe to say this is a silly comment, maybe even bias towards Russians. So please let's simmer down just a little. I know I would love to have Datsyuk, Malkin, Ovechkin, Burmistrov and the list goes on....

I don't understand this talk towards European players. It's disgusting. This league wouldn't be the same without them.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 12:58 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Not sure I understand why the private conversation between Frolov and Torts couldn't remain private.

some of these guys are just plain brain dead
Thats what i took out of it too...

"I had a private chat with the coach"

Well... not so private anymore is it??!

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 12:59 PM
BobSantos

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Torts is good on getting a lot out of plumbers. He cannot coach anyone else.
This is not correct. Have you forgotten about Gabby? Vinny? LeCav? StLouis?

He gets a lot out of anyone who wants to work harder.

BobSantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 01:26 PM
GregNYR19
agitator

Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
anyone wanna chip in and buy him a plane ticket to mother russia on july 1??

GregNYR19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 01:31 PM
RegalRangers

vCash: 783
I'm not too bothered by this article. I think a player has a right to talk to the coach about ice time and he's not making any demands. It really doesn't bother me that much. I think some posters here are just looking for a better whipping boy than Christensen or Eminger. Frolov's game WILL pick up eventually.

I actually think Torts is enacting a plan to get Frolov and Anisimov to produce more. You limit their ice time and make them desperate for more ice time and guess what happens? They play every minute they get with a sense of urgency. That's how both players need to be playing and it's not how they have been playing.

RegalRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 01:34 PM
NYROrtsFan

I'll defend someone like Rozy, but Frolov just bring nothing... And that stupid line really suggests he thinks he's entitled to 1st or 2nd line ice time which is just ********...

Basically I think his agent got to him, read him the riot act about him getting zero money after this year if things continue as is, and Frolov started to panic.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 01:35 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanyonofBlueshirts View Post
I was too. Funny how 'enigmatic' is always a term for Russian wingers in NY.
This is because they use PED only sporadically.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 01:37 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
I don't think it is a communication barrier of some sort. Would YOU understand what Torts is saying? He is cursing non stop, which is neither bad or good communication.
Torts is good on getting a lot out of plumbers. He cannot coach anyone else. I don't blame Torts for Fro's performance, but he is no help.
While Boyle took skating lessons and MDZ enrolled in the school of Robs AA took English lessons. How many times have we seen Sauer or Stepan in between periods vs AA? There's a reason why. I'm a huge AA fan and I think the kid will be a big part of the Ranger's organization, but don't try to spin the communication breakdown around onto Torts, that's a FAIL dude. The team's been hurt with it's Captain and top scorers yet he's kept them amongst safely amongst the playoff contenders and more talented clubs in the East. He's got them playing competitively. He must be getting some kind of message across.

Have you ever spent time in a locker room? Cursing in a locker room, unless it's a church league, is like pucks at a hockey game, they kinda go hand and hand. You can't have a softball game without cursing and beer, what would be the point? Sure these guys are pro athletes but they're also tough, competitive, high testosterone jocks, a little foul language is really no ****ing big deal.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 01:46 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragshockey88 View Post
anyone wanna chip in and buy him a plane ticket to mother russia on july 1??
He can afford to buy tickets for entire board. He is not a superstar based on his pay. He is better that Drury on offense, yet gets half pay. He's way above Avery, yet payed less In other words he is useful. fro did not know that Rangres fan read Russian. So he said something about his coach. No big deal, IMO. First off, coach deserves it. Second with his interview we got much more to talk about compare to Ani's blunt and staged replies.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 01:47 PM
Loffen
Cup mode: ON

Frolov happy in NY: http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/r...y_in_new_york/

Quote:
Spent a few minutes chatting with Alex Frolov regarding the aforementioned Russian article. The left wing confirmed that he had met with coach John Tortorella but that there was nothing really to the story.

“It was a Russian guy and he asked me if I had some kind of fight with Torts, if there was some conflict going on,” Frolov said. “I said, ‘No.’”

“I had a conversation with Torts but there’s no fighting, no conflict going on,” Frolov added. “Obviously, when you’re not playing enough, you want to play more, like any player.

“It was a good conversation,” Frolov said, adding he hasn’t seen the Russian article or the English translation. “I’m trying to work as hard as I can. I’ve improved in some areas. It’s a long season, there are lots of situations that can happen.”

I asked Frolov if he was happy in New York.

“Yeah, I am,” Frolov said. “He asked me about a trade. I said I never think about it. I’ve never asked for a trade. I didn’t discuss it with Torts. I guess he was trying to make up a story or to find something.”

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 01:51 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Inferno, unhappy with Frolovs play, writes blog article.

meh, hes not even worth writing the article, forget it.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 01:56 PM
Midnight85

Send a message via AIM to Midnight85 Send a message via MSN to Midnight85
In my opinion this is a whole bunch of nonsense about nothing.

I think the translation leaves something to be desired. I'm not happy with Frolov's play but I think what he said, and how it was put down on paper are two different things.

I mean what he told Gross could just be covering up for what he said to the Russian reporter, but I think its more the Russian reporter goading Frolov for a sound bite.

I think he's fine, I think he has to continue playing hard, and I still think some goals are from, whether its with the Rangers is another story entirely.

Midnight85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 02:07 PM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
People are over reacting in my opinion.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 02:40 PM
KingWantsCup
Grinch who stole...

vCash: 350
I hope Frolov doesn't come right out and publicly demand a trade. He was getting traded before the deadline any way but if he becomes a problem that gives us less leverage. Frolov has talent and has showed it in the past, but in this club under Torts ice time is earned, not given.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote