HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Current Cap Situation

Old
12-07-2010, 12:14 PM
G28

vCash: 500
Current Cap Situation

Hey guys nice article about the current Flyers Cap situation.

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/201...rs-really-have

G28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 12:19 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Oh, Homer and his cap management skills...

The worst thing about this is that if Homer does waive Walker (can you waive an injured player?) then that will almost certainly mean that he will make some silly sentimental decision to bring Walker back into the NHL somehow. Either through re-entry waivers or a horrible trade.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 12:20 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post

The worst thing about this is that if Homer does waive Walker (can you waive an injured player?) then that will almost certainly mean that he will make some silly sentimental decision to bring Walker back into the NHL somehow. Either through re-entry waivers or a horrible trade.
This article confirms how Homer is the best GM in the league

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 12:35 PM
Flyskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post

(Yes)

Flyskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 12:45 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
No, I am pretty sure I read somewhere stating you can't waive an injured player.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 12:50 PM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

vCash: 50
you cannot waive an injured player. you can send him down to the minors for a rehab stint like they are doing with Leighton, then they can put him on waivers and then they would leave Walker down if he clears.
Doing that however would be Holmgren admitting the Gagne trade was a huge mistake. i would be shocked if he went down that road.

Last edited by GoneFullHolmgren: 12-07-2010 at 01:06 PM.
GoneFullHolmgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 12:58 PM
Jester

Essentially, we will have zero cap cushion outside of any LTIR space we have for the year.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 01:00 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

I am pretty sure, they would just waive Bart before they waive walker. Although I would rather not risk that.

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 01:04 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimiFerrari View Post
I am pretty sure, they would just waive Bart before they waive walker. Although I would rather not risk that.
If we were going to go down that route we should've done it in the EARLY season, not now which is probably the worst time to get waivers through.

CS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 01:11 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

The only cap that Holmgren is good at is sporting a dunce cap.....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 01:19 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Right now, with our projected roster at 25 players + Wellwood + Leighton on LTIR, we are pacing for 57.41m as our cap projection before bonuses. That means that Leighton would be on LTIR for the rest of the season for us to hit that number.

If Leighton returns to the roster, I think he counts for $1.03m left for the projected number which puts us at 58.44m at a projected rate before bonuses with a 26 man roster + Wellwood.

Cap is $59.40 which means we have $0.96m before bonuses should Leighton, in theory, return to the roster today.

But then the max bonuses add up to another $1.91m (vanRiemsdyk, Giroux, Nodl, Bobrovsky).

So, we're over about a mil without anyone on LTIR, but only because of bonuses?

CS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 01:22 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Right now, with our projected roster at 25 players + Wellwood + Leighton on LTIR, we are pacing for 57.41m as our cap projection before bonuses. That means that Leighton would be on LTIR for the rest of the season for us to hit that number.

If Leighton returns to the roster, I think he counts for $1.03m left for the projected number which puts us at 58.44m at a projected rate before bonuses with a 26 man roster + Wellwood.

Cap is $59.40 which means we have $0.96m before bonuses should Leighton, in theory, return to the roster today.

But then the max bonuses add up to another $1.91m (vanRiemsdyk, Giroux, Nodl, Bobrovsky).

So, we're over about a mil without anyone on LTIR, but only because of bonuses?
Leighton's FULL SALARY counts against the salary cap. LTIR does not remove the player's cap hit, it merely allows you to replace it.

As per usual operation around here, we will have zero actual cap space and be living off of LTIR space all year.

Old
12-07-2010, 01:26 PM
Flyskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Leighton's FULL SALARY counts against the salary cap. LTIR does not remove the player's cap hit, it merely allows you to replace it.

As per usual operation around here, we will have zero actual cap space and be living off of LTIR space all year.
Sometimes I think the Flyers believe the cap is like the speed limit and they can do 5 over.

Flyskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 01:28 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:

Yep.

People always assume that LTIR means that a salary goes away.

People always assume that the cap isn't calculated based on daily spending.

Without banking cap space it really restricts what we can do at the trade deadline.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 01:33 PM
Appleyard

vCash: 365
The walker contract and shelley contract are the two that make my blood boil, it's so much money put aside for so little return, shelley must have a damn good agent, and im sure we could have got a better return for gags, either personnal wise or cap-wise. And I quite like Holmgren, but some of his moves are like he's given the job to an 8 year old on his day off.

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 02:10 PM
Bryz4shiz

Why not just waive Shelley and send him to ECHL so he can mentor Klotz

Bryz4shiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 02:33 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:

I actually expect to see Leighton stay on LTIR or Lappy put there until Walker is fit to play, then either Walker or Leighton gets waived and sent down. From that point on we're back under the cap. I'd actually like to see Walker sent down to give them an effective (for the AHL) veteran defender to help that team out.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 02:35 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
you cannot waive an injured player. you can send him down to the minors for a rehab stint like they are doing with Leighton, then they can put him on waivers and then they would leave Walker down if he clears.
Doing that however would be Holmgren admitting the Gagne trade was a huge mistake. i would be shocked if he went down that road.
I don't think so. Obviously the Flyers lost out on the deal, but they were in a tough situation and any trade he made wasn't going bring back anything substantial. Gagne was making $5+ mil and has a history of serious injuries and is on the decline of his career. Not to harsh on Gagne, but I doubt there were a lot of teams knocking on Philly's door to get him. Apparently he wanted to go to TB. TB probably doesn't have the money to take on the $5 mil alone so the Flyers had to take some back. It still cut $3+ mil in salary and got us a 4th round pick and a 6th/7th defenseman when healthy (who is overpaid, I know, and isn't an all-star I know). I am by no means saying this was a great move or that Philly "won" the trade, but if Gagne was on the way out, I wouldn't have expected much better from any other deal.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 02:38 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I don't think so. Obviously the Flyers lost out on the deal, but they were in a tough situation and any trade he made wasn't going bring back anything substantial. Gagne was making $5+ mil and has a history of serious injuries and is on the decline of his career. Not to harsh on Gagne, but I doubt there were a lot of teams knocking on Philly's door to get him. Apparently he wanted to go to TB. TB probably doesn't have the money to take on the $5 mil alone so the Flyers had to take some back. It still cut $3+ mil in salary and got us a 4th round pick and a 6th/7th defenseman when healthy (who is overpaid, I know, and isn't an all-star I know). I am by no means saying this was a great move or that Philly "won" the trade, but if Gagne was on the way out, I wouldn't have expected much better from any other deal.
Actually, he didn't want to go anywhere. Holmgren backed the team into a corner against the cap and made Gagne feel like an a**hole.

Old
12-07-2010, 02:40 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Actually, he didn't want to go anywhere. Holmgren backed the team into a corner against the cap and made Gagne feel like an a**hole.
Yeah, I mean obviously his first choice was to stay put, but he waived his NTC so I am assuming he had some interest in going there (i.e. Yzerman as GM, a bunch of Frenchmen to play alongside, etc).

Old
12-07-2010, 02:41 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Yeah, I mean obviously his first choice was to stay put, but he waived his NTC so I am assuming he had some interest in going there (i.e. Yzerman as GM, a bunch of Frenchmen to play alongside, etc).
I'm guessing you missed the interview where Gagne basically stated that after he denied waiving his NTC and then the team came back at him about it AGAIN he felt like he couldn't come back to the Flyers.

He didn't want to go to TB.

Old
12-07-2010, 02:44 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyskippy View Post
Sometimes I think the Flyers believe the cap is like the speed limit and they can do 5 over.
Or you can try to be like the Devils, which is trying to drive the speed limit with 3 wheels.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 02:50 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
I'm guessing you missed the interview where Gagne basically stated that after he denied waiving his NTC and then the team came back at him about it AGAIN he felt like he couldn't come back to the Flyers.

He didn't want to go to TB.
Haha, yes you are correct. I did miss that. You know what they say when you assume...

Old
12-07-2010, 02:58 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
he did say that TB was his only choice, because of a good relationship with Yzerman and St.louis and Lecavalier (after olmgren backed him into a corner)

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 03:03 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
he did say that TB was his only choice, because of a good relationship with Yzerman and St.louis and Lecavalier (after olmgren backed him into a corner)
Yes, but there's a big difference between saying "Fine, I'll go there" and wanting to go there. Whole thing was poorly handled by Holmgren.