HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

STU Tommies

Closed Thread

Old
11-26-2010, 01:20 PM
FreddtFoyle

vCash: 500
That "couple of million dollars" appears to be an urban legend to me. I have not seen a published statement, anywhere, about how much STU is actually contributing to the Grant-Harvey complex, if any.

If someone knows of the number and where I can find it, please point me in the right direction ...

Old
11-26-2010, 02:11 PM
gulag

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddtFoyle View Post
That "couple of million dollars" appears to be an urban legend to me. I have not seen a published statement, anywhere, about how much STU is actually contributing to the Grant-Harvey complex, if any.

If someone knows of the number and where I can find it, please point me in the right direction ...
it seems to me i read an article at one point that mentioned something more in the area of a million dollars but i cant say for sure.something to do with dressing rooms and weight room for both varsity clubs.

Old
11-27-2010, 05:10 AM
cookiecutter

Three or four years ago it was over a million for coaches rooms, dressing rooms, fitness center etc. Add in 150,000 for the female team and God only knows how much for the boys team and you could float a third world country. But the forces behind the scenes front the money and say go forth and compete.....not win compete. I imagine Stuie hot dog will cost you 6 bucks at the new place....unless the hot dog vender is requited to play for them

Old
11-27-2010, 08:35 AM
timbitca

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiecutter View Post
Three or four years ago it was over a million for coaches rooms, dressing rooms, fitness center etc. Add in 150,000 for the female team and God only knows how much for the boys team and you could float a third world country. But the forces behind the scenes front the money and say go forth and compete.....not win compete. I imagine Stuie hot dog will cost you 6 bucks at the new place....unless the hot dog vender is requited to play for them
Hah. I hope they don't have the same manager for the canteen they brought in this year at our place. 6.25$ for a poutine and 2.50$ for a fry. Cheese and gravy must be getting a rare commodity.

Old
11-27-2010, 02:23 PM
rantfather

Attention Gleaner Guy & AUS Fan:

The substance of most of my rants have been communicated to STU administration AND Eagles under my BIRTH NAME,Address and PHONE NUMBER.
The following quotes in today's Gleaner when asked by
reporter Hunt "Where do the Tommies go from here? were responded as follows by Eagles.
"We're in the mess we're in because I don't have all the answers" and "I'm not sure". this is from the coach of 9 years and A/D for 3 - both Gleaner Guy and AUS Fan take a minute and contemplate that one.
Any wonder that myself and the rest of Tommies Nation are fed up with this mess.....does a truck have to hit someone straight on to finally have everybody in STU administration to WAKE UP?

Early this AM I thought that I had nothing more to say on this subject,I was wrong! I AM JUST GETTING STARTED.
Unlike others I cannot sit by and watch this once proud AUS team continue to be mismanaged by somebody who just doesn't have it and if he had any guts would just step away and allow the resurrection to start.
Stay tune for regular updates and comments.

Last edited by rantfather: 11-27-2010 at 02:42 PM. Reason: spelling
Old
11-27-2010, 04:08 PM
cookiecutter

Hey,
I shouldn't make fun of the canteen staff, especially at STU because we have to count them in the attendance in order to get over 200 people. If you get a chance to check out the canteen menu at STU games you might be interested in the following item besides the Stuie dog:
STU-cycle a frozen treat named after a team being frozen out of the play-offs. An annual treat.
Pig-in-a-blanket..named after the other AUS teams cover the tommies like a blanket.
STU-pickle...what the coaching staff is in....a pickle
Fan favorite...discontinued because of lack of fans.
Jet Plane...where players go after one year in Tommie land

Old
11-27-2010, 04:31 PM
Espher

Send a message via ICQ to Espher Send a message via AIM to Espher Send a message via MSN to Espher Send a message via Yahoo to Espher
Quote:
Originally Posted by timbitca View Post
Hah. I hope they don't have the same manager for the canteen they brought in this year at our place. 6.25$ for a poutine and 2.50$ for a fry. Cheese and gravy must be getting a rare commodity.
Pricing is wacky for things added to base items anywhere. I got a burger at The Cellar at UNB a couple of weeks back, adding bacon and cheese, and asked for ketchup, relish, and onion on the burger.

I got the bill and the bacon and cheese were both $1... but the two slivers of onion were $1.50. wat.

Still, $3.75 for cheese and gravy... hah.

Old
11-27-2010, 05:09 PM
Rob

If it wasn't for the new Grant-Harvey complex being opened in 2012 I would seriously be worried about the Tommies heading down the same road as the Mount A Mounties.

Old
11-27-2010, 08:40 PM
STUTOMMIES

On a positive note for once, we actually won a game. St-FX will have a long bus drive back to Antigonish for a change. It was a solid effort all the way around. Hip hip hooray. BTW, it was 3 to 2, the first game that STU got points and the other team didn't.

Old
11-27-2010, 09:35 PM
rantfather

Something positive to rant about finally,kept up with shots on goal and several stellar performances;it all came together tonight and congratulations are in order.

Old
11-27-2010, 10:18 PM
gleanerguy

Solid victory for the Tommies...2 pp goals, Lavigne was solid in nets and the team worked hard the whole night. Great effort.

Old
11-27-2010, 11:18 PM
AUS Fan

I nominate Eagles for Coach of the Year....

Old
11-30-2010, 09:31 AM
Island Husky

"he neither possesses the required,educational,administrative training " This has been said a number of times. Checked Trevor Steinburg's credentials lately? Tom Coolen has been mentioned before too, Has he actually been approached? what are HIS opinions on the matter? or is it someone "like him"? Has STU got the resources to bring in a guy just to recruit? and was that with compensation or without? We continue to skirt around the issue, That lighthouse could recruit 50 top guys in Canada if you give it the resources.

Old
12-01-2010, 01:23 PM
rantfather

Trevor Steinburg is NOT the A/D at SMU or am I wrong,again?

Old
12-01-2010, 05:06 PM
RED ARMY EAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Husky View Post
"he neither possesses the required,educational,administrative training " This has been said a number of times. Checked Trevor Steinburg's credentials lately? Tom Coolen has been mentioned before too, Has he actually been approached? what are HIS opinions on the matter? or is it someone "like him"? Has STU got the resources to bring in a guy just to recruit? and was that with compensation or without? We continue to skirt around the issue, That lighthouse could recruit 50 top guys in Canada if you give it the resources.
Bring in Dale!

Old
12-02-2010, 03:20 PM
Island Husky

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantfather View Post
Trevor Steinburg is NOT the A/D at SMU or am I wrong,again?
No you are right, he is not AD. He did however, not beat out, he was the second place candidate who was favourably overruled over the first place finisher who was actually informed of his new job only to have this happen later in the day, and who possessed: a Master's degree, 15 years work experience with youth, a Social Worker by profession, a skilled GM of an independent club team, and a proven, very proven, recruiter. Quite a few universities have chosen an uneducated, work inexperienced, former pro hockey players as coaches, Saint Mary's has done it, UPEI, STU, Dal, anyone else?, Did Al MacAdam ever get his education? thing is you don't know at the time, some work out, and some do not. I know I know I know...he has been there long enough to prove "he is not". However, I know you have argued against Eagles' remaining as an AD, I had forgotten that component, I thought coaching and recruiting were the center points of your arguements. Otherwwise he could be fine remaining as an AD, how are the other teams doing? Hey that happend to Saint Mary's too, the late Larry Uteck (RIP) was head football coach and I thought they were showing signs of serious decay in the mid nineties as he was appointed acting AD. ( SMU had done the STU thing and hired, nay , appointed, an AD, despite warnings from others, who subsequently left in secrecy ) I thought it was all too much for him. He finally moved on to become fulltime AD, leaving the football aside: Blake Nill took over has Head Coach the rest is history. The football team was never better after that.

Old
12-02-2010, 07:45 PM
rantfather

Eagles was crowned the A/D without benefit of an advertised open competition by an outgoing University President.....I am philosophically opposed to this .
In spite of Administrations arguments to the contrary, 1 man cannot do 2 jobs well and Eagles has largely demonstrated this.
As coach,he again has failed miserably in the recruitment and retention of players in sufficient numbers to be anywhere but last place in the AUS,and make no mistake here,he is totally responsible,himself,for this mess and has nobody to blame but himself.
His conduct last year in locking up sticks after a series weekend loss before players arrived for practice is just one childish example of a coach who is out of his element and is well beyond his level of competence.

Short summary,he has not done,cannot do and should no longer have anything to do with athletics and men's hockey at STU.
The win over X last weekend was an example of what should be ,but certainly for more than every 13 games.

The now 9 years of non-results is a lengthy enough history upon which a change should be predicated.

Old
12-04-2010, 07:33 PM
STUTOMMIES

Good try versus SMU. The Huskies dominated in the second period until a SMU defenceman fell down and allowed Labonte to go in alone and score past Conway. The third had its moments but STU couldn't find the equalizer.

9 points out of a play-off spot with 13 games to go. Was told a rumor today that one of the Tommies will not be back after Christmas. Injury I guess. Don't know if it is true. Heard it from a friend who heard it from a friend. Wait and see.

Old
12-04-2010, 09:24 PM
Rob

Playoffs are probably next to impossible but at least they played hard the last three games.

I thought I heard on the radio that they might be getting an extra d-man after Christmas?

Old
12-05-2010, 01:22 AM
RCPXP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Playoffs are probably next to impossible but at least they played hard the last three games.

I thought I heard on the radio that they might be getting an extra d-man after Christmas?
didn't hear it from me...

Old
12-05-2010, 07:00 AM
cookiecutter

Hockey fans are a fickle bunch. Give us a winning product and the rink will gradually fill up.

Old
12-07-2010, 03:25 PM
STUTOMMIES

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiecutter View Post
Hockey fans are a fickle bunch. Give us a winning product and the rink will gradually fill up.
Fredericton hockey fans are particularly finicky. STU I can understand getting low attendance currently but UNB should be getting larger crowds. If the Tommies could ever start winning I believe it would benefit (in attendance) both clubs considerably.

Old
12-07-2010, 11:50 PM
austrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by STUTOMMIES View Post
Fredericton hockey fans are particularly finicky. STU I can understand getting low attendance currently but UNB should be getting larger crowds. If the Tommies could ever start winning I believe it would benefit (in attendance) both clubs considerably.
You're bang on with that one. People would luv to a see a return to the competitive rivalry that made going to the rink such an event each and every game. I still remember the buzz that used to be palpable at both rinks anticipating another heated affair between these two inter-city rivals. Obviously nobody likes to watch a team lose each and every game, but there's nothing exciting either for fans of a team like unb knowing the outcome of a game even before it begins...Bring back the uncertainty of a result and you'll get more fans making their way to both rinks....the onus is on STU to understand how the league has evolved and to make the proper adjustments.....

Old
12-08-2010, 04:24 AM
STUTOMMIES

Quote:
Originally Posted by austrooper View Post
You're bang on with that one. People would luv to a see a return to the competitive rivalry that made going to the rink such an event each and every game. I still remember the buzz that used to be palpable at both rinks anticipating another heated affair between these two inter-city rivals. Obviously nobody likes to watch a team lose each and every game, but there's nothing exciting either for fans of a team like unb knowing the outcome of a game even before it begins...Bring back the uncertainty of a result and you'll get more fans making their way to both rinks....the onus is on STU to understand how the league has evolved and to make the proper adjustments.....
Agreed. Well put.

Old
12-08-2010, 02:00 PM
rantfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyPuckRadio View Post
didn't hear it from me...
Continued Recruitment Failure! WHY?

Former STU recruiter identified one Reggie Traccitto ,who has just confirmed at UPEI, MONTHS ago, Brian Wright identified Traccitto and Eagles et al failed to act and now desperately desperate failed to impress Traccitto with enough for him to commit to STU.

Eagles has been responsible for the lack of a cogent,consistent recruiting presentation message for prospects with predictable results-NADA!

Recruiting just got worse at STU and I believe that in the absence of new leadership,those presently responsible will resort to overspending on possible recruits and once again attempt to make up for recruiting mistakes at Christmas break by doing so instead of putting in place a thoughtful,measured recruiting policy that adheres to all standards of operation so as not to price the program out of viability.

Eagles et al should NOT be responsible for this and how much longer is STU administration going to put up with this shame and his prognostications of where the program is,is going and how he is going to get it there.

His creditability out there is non-existent and this should be evident by now!

Last edited by rantfather: 12-08-2010 at 02:49 PM.
Closed Thread