HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs Priority Remains a Top 6 Forward: Kaberle was a Suggestion

Old
12-07-2010, 04:29 PM
Belso

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAHabFan View Post
I am not sure why we are not going after Langenbrunner. We already have Gomez/Gionta. and Langenbrunner will fit well with our team.
Langenbrunner is NJs top RW. Unless they chose to give up on the season now, I don't see him going anywhere...

Now I agree that Langenbrunner is much easier to get on your team than Semin, but NJ doesn't think straight. They threw their money at Kovalchuk and what has it brought them? Lou was against it but the owners wanted it.. The owners are idiots. They are killing the team.

which leads me back to Calgary. If they can trade Phaneuf to TO, they can surely trade Olli Jokinen to Montreal. I still say that is Montreal's best bet IF they are looking for a top 6 forward.

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 04:32 PM
Forsead

All players that could help the habs and could fit IMO : Langenbrunner, Clarkson, JP Dumont, Glencross, David Moss, Chuck Kobasew, David Jones, Gilbert Brule.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 04:33 PM
hackeyisneat
Incostitsynt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belso View Post
Langenbrunner is NJs top RW. Unless they chose to give up on the season now, I don't see him going anywhere...

Now I agree that Langenbrunner is much easier to get on your team than Semin, but NJ doesn't think straight. They threw their money at Kovalchuk and what has it brought them? Lou was against it but the owners wanted it.. The owners are idiots. They are killing the team.

which leads me back to Calgary. If they can trade Phaneuf to TO, they can surely trade Olli Jokinen to Montreal. I still say that is Montreal's best bet IF they are looking for a top 6 forward.
Jokinen looks lost in Calgary. maybe we give them Boyd.

hackeyisneat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 04:35 PM
Jean Beliveau

Quote:

As stated in a previous post this is exactly what I was thinking.

Jokinen had his 3 best years in NHL while being coached by our one and only J. Martin.

05/06: 91 points.
06/07: 89 points.
07/08: 71 points.

I really believe that the asking price from the Flames would be fairly low in this case.

He's only signed for 1 more year at 3 million dollars and if Martin can get him rejuvenated we could have have some incredible depth up front without having to give up too much in return.
J. Martin obviously knows wich buttons to push with Jokinen. As a bonus he can also play wing as well.

Jean Beliveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 04:37 PM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean Beliveau View Post
As stated in a previous post this is exactly what I was thinking.

Jokinen had his 3 best years in NHL while being coached by our one and only J. Martin.

05/06: 91 points.
06/07: 89 points.
07/08: 71 points.

I really believe that the asking price from the Flames would be fairly low in this case.

He's only signed for 1 more year at 3 million dollars and if Martin can get him rejuvenated we could have have some incredible depth up front without having to give up too much in return.
J. Martin obviously knows wich buttons to push with Jokinen. As a bonus he can also play wing as well.
Does Jokinen ca play at wings I know that some time around he was playing wings during world championship or olympics and I thought he was doing a fine job.

Old
12-07-2010, 04:37 PM
JustAHabFan

In all the Flames games that I saw, Alex Tanguay played very well. I think we should get him back.

JustAHabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 04:39 PM
PATCHESx67

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngbloodhockey View Post
Kaberle will not make it to UFA, if anyone wants him they will have to pay. He is more then content retiring in Toronto and will take a discount to do so.

This year is not a deep draft, try again.
LOLL @ Kaberle being happy in toronto and re-signing there

Habs will wait till july 1st for kaberle pleks will make the call ...and no we wont trade for him let toronto fans and burke think they will land a first rounder and a prospect for kaberle

PS how much more years before you guys actually make the playoffs ?

PATCHESx67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 04:45 PM
Belso

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
His best year was 4 years ago and he was barely above a 0.5 PPG pace in that season. He isn't the answer, he just never reached the potential that people expected. A top 6 centre needs to be in the 0.75 PPG pace area.
Not even close...

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=28403

his best years were 4 years ago playing under Martin as head coach on a sub par team in Florida.

2005-06 gp82 g38 a51 p89
2006-07 gp82 g39 a52 p91
2007-08 gp82 g34 a37 p71

2 seasons of over 1ppg and one of 0.88ppg since 05-06

He's 32 not 37, so I still think he can put up 0.75ppg under a coach who can get the most out of him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAHabFan View Post
In all the Flames games that I saw, Alex Tanguay played very well. I think we should get him back.
If Calgary is serious about improving their team, they will not trade Alex. He and Iginla are the highest scorer on the team.. If anyone goes, it's Olli....

Old
12-07-2010, 05:04 PM
Jedrik

Quote:
His best year was 4 years ago and he was barely above a 0.5 PPG pace in that season. He isn't the answer, he just never reached the potential that people expected. A top 6 centre needs to be in the 0.75 PPG pace area.
Umm, you thinking of Jussi maybe? And even he had close to .75 PPG last season.

Quote:
Not even close...

his best years were 4 years ago playing under Martin as head coach on a sub par team in Florida.

2005-06 gp82 g38 a51 p89
2006-07 gp82 g39 a52 p91
2007-08 gp82 g34 a37 p71

2 seasons of over 1ppg and one of 0.88ppg since 05-06

He's 32 not 37, so I still think he can put up 0.75ppg under a coach who can get the most out of him.
(What he said.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkenstein3D View Post
i still think Pouliot is talented enough to handle it but what do i know
I could definitely see it as a possibility. I like he and Eller together right now, though.

Jedrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 05:07 PM
HabsSlappy

Here is my wish list, I have taken UFA's and guys who I think may be moved because the team is out or may be out of the playoffs. Likely one's would be teams that we have a history of making deals with like Dallas, Minnesota, Colorado.

1) Hejduk - Great for top 6 duty but would have to waive NMC
2) Langenbrunner - Ideal JM type player
3) Richards - Only downfall would be how much he would cost us, don't think PG is willing to give up what Dallas would want.
4) Brunette - Having a down year but he could get a spark by coming here. Good JM player.
5) Others I would like but feel it is unlikely we would get: Connolly, Arnott, Selanne

I think it is likely that if PG does make a trade for a forward, it will be a veteran who has a Stanley Cup ring. It will also likely not be a top tier guy. Someone that we could get for less than a first round pick. Something like a 2nd and Maxwell is probably the most that PG would give up in my opinion.

HabsSlappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 05:15 PM
compile

vCash: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsSlappy View Post
Here is my wish list, I have taken UFA's and guys who I think may be moved because the team is out or may be out of the playoffs. Likely one's would be teams that we have a history of making deals with like Dallas, Minnesota, Colorado.

1) Hejduk - Great for top 6 duty but would have to waive NMC
2) Langenbrunner - Ideal JM type player
3) Richards - Only downfall would be how much he would cost us, don't think PG is willing to give up what Dallas would want.
4) Brunette - Having a down year but he could get a spark by coming here. Good JM player.
5) Others I would like but feel it is unlikely we would get: Connolly, Arnott, Selanne

I think it is likely that if PG does make a trade for a forward, it will be a veteran who has a Stanley Cup ring. It will also likely not be a top tier guy. Someone that we could get for less than a first round pick. Something like a 2nd and Maxwell is probably the most that PG would give up in my opinion.
If I heard right on HNIC Sirius selanne is in Europe and is injured. Karyia would be nice. He's either a point per game player or just shy of it. He's a free agent, 11 games to reach 1000, fantastic passer too. If his head is ok I'd try to sign him.

But that's just me.

compile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 05:24 PM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJG View Post
No team is going to take that contract.

Maybe if we sent two first-rounders along with Gomez for a sixth-rounder, some GM would take his million dollar per point production.
For a team crying out for a first line center, even though Gomez is struggling, the Leafs would think long and hard about it, especially if we're spicing it up with a 1st rounder. And I'd be willing to deal that 1st rounder if it meant clearing space to get Richards.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 05:29 PM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Quote:
Not even close...

2005-06 gp82 g38 a51 p89
2006-07 gp82 g39 a52 p91
2007-08 gp82 g34 a37 p71
LOL I was looking at his assist and thought they were points.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 05:33 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

If we trade for a forward I want someone who will fit into our lineup seamlessly and I believe that guy would be Jamie Langenbrunner.

Make it happen PG!

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 05:43 PM
Jedrik

Bob Mackenzie was just saying something pretty interesting in the case of Pouliot, which is that the Canadiens seem to have discovered that they have to "forget about the old expectations" (re: him being a high pick, front line-type prospect), and just keep the pressure off of him. The less pressure he has (i.e. playing on the third line) the more he is likely to give you (I'm paraphrasing that last part, but that's basically what he said).

I like that analysis, and I think it expresses one of the concerns I would have about splitting he and Eller now and moving him up into the top six. If he keeps up his play I'd like to see him tried out in the top six, but I would hate to rock his confidence now.

Old
12-07-2010, 05:49 PM
Belso

Quote:
LOL I was looking at his assist and thought they were points.
LOL!! it's ok.. I wasn't flaming you

whatever happens, I think it would be a loss if the Habs did nothing until the end of the season.

Markov is a big piece of the pie when he's healthy. The Habs are lucky right now to have younger talented players which are cheap.

Sure they are winning.
Sure they are doing very well without Markov.

But having $6M cap space not playing is not getting the best team available.

I can remember teams like Tampa, Detroit, Montreal, Chicago, Pittsburgh, etc, win cups with both older expensive vets and younger cheap players with RFA contracts.

The Habs can only be their most efficient spending as close to the cap as possible. Crap, even Chicago went over the cap last season.

So I just hope they get two good scoring line from whatever source they chose by the time play-off starts. As of now, they have one good first line and one decent 3rd line.. Whatever line Gomez is on struggles to put points up.

If they want to go the "defense wins championships" route, then yes, they need to replace Markov.. Unless Weber can fill in this season. He's looked good in the last 2 games.. But he's no Markov.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedrik View Post
Bob Mackenzie was just saying something pretty interesting in the case of Pouliot, which is that the Canadiens seem to have discovered that they have to "forget about the old expectations" (re: him being a high pick, front line-type prospect), and just keep the pressure off of him. The less pressure he has (i.e. playing on the third line) the more he is likely to give you (I'm paraphrasing that last part, but that's basically what he said).

I like that analysis, and I think it expresses one of the concerns I would have about splitting he and Eller now and moving him up into the top six. If he keeps up his play I'd like to see him tried out in the top six, but I would hate to rock his confidence now.
It's really hard to know a players full potential until he gets experience and is comfortable playing his game.. Maybe he's not handling the pressure very well.. who knows.. But at this point, if he becomes a solid second line winger, I'll be happy really. IT took Pleks a few years to get where he is..

If the Habs think playing him on the 3rd line to let him grow without the pressure of being a "go to" guy, I'm all for it. If her can score 20-55 goals a season, I'll be happy.. you can't have all your forwards scoring 30-40 goals a season. That would be too expensive...

Old
12-07-2010, 06:01 PM
Habit11

Quote:
It's really hard to know a players full potential until he gets experience and is comfortable playing his game.. Maybe he's not handling the pressure very well.. who knows.. But at this point, if he becomes a solid second line winger, I'll be happy really. IT took Pleks a few years to get where he is..

If the Habs think playing him on the 3rd line to let him grow without the pressure of being a "go to" guy, I'm all for it. If her can score 20-55 goals a season, I'll be happy.. you can't have all your forwards scoring 30-40 goals a season. That would be too expensive...
Agreed. IMO, PG should be looking at adding a forward with size, grit, and 15 - 20 goal production to play on the 2nd line, and a shutdown defenceman with size/toughness who can be a #4 on Defence. If he can get those two types of players for the same cost as Markov's salary cap, this team will plug a few of it's needs.

Habit11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 06:08 PM
lou4gehrig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
All players that could help the habs and could fit IMO : Langenbrunner, Clarkson, JP Dumont, Glencross, David Moss, Chuck Kobasew, David Jones, Gilbert Brule.
Aside from Lagenbrunner are any of these scrubs top 6? I'd bring up MaxPac before almost every single one of these guys. And Lagenbrunner is 35 years old and -12 right now.

lou4gehrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 06:27 PM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou4gehrig View Post
Aside from Lagenbrunner are any of these scrubs top 6? I'd bring up MaxPac before almost every single one of these guys. And Lagenbrunner is 35 years old and -12 right now.
Dumont is a well establish top 6 forward, Langenbrunner is playing in a horrible team right now, David Jones has now 21 goals and 32 pts in his last 46 games over two seasons, last season Brule had a 37 pts in 65 games at only 23 years old, Moss already has a 20 goals season, Glencross already has a 40 pts season but yeah thoses guys wouldn't help...

Old
12-07-2010, 06:39 PM
Belso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkenstein3D View Post
Jokinen looks lost in Calgary. maybe we give them Boyd.
I've mentioned trading Boyd back to Calgary.. Throw in a prospect like Desharnais and a pick and let's hope they are interested.

Old
12-07-2010, 06:53 PM
Jedrik

Quote:

I mean, he went fourth overall in 2005 but it seemed after last season that his future with the team was uncertain, and potentially his future in the NHL, even. He was starting to look like a bust, really. Minnesota fans generally thought that his problems were psychological or motivational (at least that's what I recall many of them saying on their board about Pouliot).

Right now he seems to be, at the very least, a very solid third line player who skates well and has some offensive upside. If he turns out to be no more/no less, then I'm happy enough, but I believe he can do a bit more if he pulls it together. I don't think he'll ever be a top line forward, but I could see Michael Ryder-type production out of him for sure.

Quote:
I've mentioned trading Boyd back to Calgary.. Throw in a prospect like Desharnais and a pick and let's hope they are interested.
It's not impossible that they'd be willing to dump him for that little, and I would certainly pay it, but I think they would get a better offer than that.

Old
12-07-2010, 07:05 PM
Toro

If management believes they have a winning team then they should go out and get the best option for the biggest hole we have. Especially since the team has unreal cap space that will enable us to acquire anyone in the league.

I believe our biggest hole is a true top 6 power forward and that guy is Iginla. His team is knee deep in a rebuild and are floating the idea of trading Iggy if the team is out of the playoffs at the deadline. Even calling him their version of Toronto's Sundin sweepstakes.

I hope Gauthier goes out and gets it done.

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 07:52 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedrik View Post
What's the deal with him? A couple of years ago he was a solid top-four D and now 'Nucks fans can't get rid of him quickly enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexstream View Post
never, but Mario Tremblay described him on radio yesterday and he was talking about two years ago + when he was consistently facing him (same division)

what's the problem with him? pulled a komisarek?
Commonly makes bonehead plays, does not have a high hockey IQ. His positioning is poor, as is his gap control and communication. He has a decent first pass and decent skills with the puck, good skater but not enough to over come his deficiencies.

Bieksa to me is not a Martin player. He doesn't have the smarts or the positional play to be effective in our system, and I have a feeling he would not fit in well with the corps as it is now.

There is an argument to be made that he would be more effective with less minutes(Vancouver has overplayed him in the past), but I think there are much better options out there.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 07:56 PM
habfaninvictoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
Leaf Fans really think they're going to get 2 1st round prospects and a 1st round pick for a rental?

LOL. Such a delusional group.

Why shouldn't they think that, they're used to paying that.

habfaninvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 07:25 AM
PATCHESx67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro View Post
If management believes they have a winning team then they should go out and get the best option for the biggest hole we have. Especially since the team has unreal cap space that will enable us to acquire anyone in the league.

I believe our biggest hole is a true top 6 power forward and that guy is Iginla. His team is knee deep in a rebuild and are floating the idea of trading Iggy if the team is out of the playoffs at the deadline. Even calling him their version of Toronto's Sundin sweepstakes.

I hope Gauthier goes out and gets it done.
Iggy would be great speciallly for the fact that we would be able to reunite him with cammalleri the only thing is iginla is making 7millions for the next 3 years i believe

PATCHESx67 is offline   Reply With Quote