HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I wonder what it would take for us to get T.Ruutu?

Closed Thread

Old
06-09-2005, 12:53 AM
Twist and Shout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat
very true. if we could just "pick up" another mccabe, we'd have 6 of him by now. face it, without the guy, all we have left is Klee
*cough* Kabs *cough*

Old
06-09-2005, 12:53 AM
Christ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuppY
well if your going to rebuild than you trade McCabe beacuse his value is high right now and he would get us a good young player or players who will help the Leafs in the future.
...and what about McCabe's value as a mentor for young players joining the Leafs? Seriously, do you honestly think that any team is going to be willing to overpay for McCabe or even give up a player of equal value for him? I doubt it.

Old
06-09-2005, 12:54 AM
Christ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat
excerpt i found on the net:

According to the online version of the Toronto Sun, Klee, who would have become an unrestricted free agent, is expected to earn about $2.5 million over the next two years.
I stand corrected...so long as there is a season next year at least...

Old
06-09-2005, 12:55 AM
Mat

Send a message via AIM to Mat Send a message via MSN to Mat
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenSteen
*cough* Kabs *cough*
he's no Ken Klee

Old
06-09-2005, 01:17 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Army
On the other hand if you're small, slow, weak and only moderate defensively but you score 100 points each year, you're going to be on a first line.
This sounds eerily close in description of the Human highlight reel of an AHL player I know....

Last edited by Mess: 06-09-2005 at 02:24 AM.
Old
06-09-2005, 01:36 AM
Mat

Send a message via AIM to Mat Send a message via MSN to Mat
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
This sounds eerily close in description of the Human highlight reel on an AHL player I know....
?

Old
06-09-2005, 05:37 AM
ThinMcWhistle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ
Excellent, well thought out post . Pretty much sums up my own feelings with regards to McCabe. I can't figure out why this defenseman is so routinely mangled by Leaf fans. The last season that McCabe played for Toronto was perhaps that best performance that I have seen from a Toronto defender in at least a decade. His offensive numbers were steller (in terms of today's NHL at least) and he was very solid in his own end as well.

Before the arrival of Leetch, McCabe was Toronto's undesputed number one defenseman last season. I know that this is in part the result of a bad year by Kaberle but there is no way to claim that McCabe had a bad season for us. If McCabe comes back playing as well as he did in his last season with Toronto and Kaberle plays like he did this past season in Europe, Toronto will have an excellent defense even with the expected loss of Leetch and Klee.
As much as I dislike McCabe, you guys do have a point. McCabe is a valuable asset in the NHL as a defenceman who can score, fight, has a good +/- rating, etc..
He does make some boneheaded plays once in a while, which is why people tend to dislike him. He is like the new Larry Murphy. A guy that is an asset, but tends to be a bit of a dufus, ie: Nice friggen haircut, stupid boneheaded comments during the lockout, making the 2003-04 playoff loss against the Flyers look like his fault.

Everyone knows that losing to the Flyers was not his fault... But him tripping on his own skates etc... is just memorable in a bad way. Kind of like Tommy Salo bouncing the puck into his own net off his helmet.

Last edited by ThinMcWhistle: 06-09-2005 at 05:51 AM.
Old
06-09-2005, 05:54 AM
ThinMcWhistle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
I guess you're not a Nikkie fan?

Old
06-09-2005, 08:14 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox
And to say "how else you evaluate except against peers" is a hialrious statement. Ummm how about looking at the overall package the players has? His speed, agility, toughness, leadership, tenacity, hands, hockey sense, defensive awareness, etc.
And to what do you compare "His speed, agility, toughness, leadership, tenacity, hands, hockey sense, defensive awareness, etc." so that you know those traits are excellent, good, average, poor, rotten?

Old
06-09-2005, 09:08 AM
Leaf Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
This sounds eerily close in description of the Human highlight reel of an AHL player I know....
Hey I'm not saying anything....

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox
Ummm how about looking at the overall package the players has? His speed, agility, toughness, leadership, tenacity, hands, hockey sense, defensive awareness, etc. That's what scouts do.
You're right, for the most part that is what scouts do. Let's take a look at a comparison.

We'll compare Tom Fitzgerald and Brett Hull.

Speed- Tom Fitzgerald
Size- Tom Fitzgerald
Agility- Tom Fitzgerald
Toughness- Tom Fitzgerald
Leadership- Tom Fitzgerald
Tenacity- Tom Fitzgerald
Defensive Sense- Tom Fitzgerald
Stats- Brett Hull

Stats are pretty important I'd say.

But I'm sure if we had HF back in the 80's we would have heard about Fitzgerald being a super-prospect because he's "safe". People would have been talking about how the Islanders have such a great future because they have Tom Fitzgerald. Hull would have been ignored.

Oh and let's not forgot 13th overall Dean Chynoweth. He's a monster back there. Didn't have the greatest stats but he's big, tough stay-at-home defenceman. Another very safe prospect. Between him and Fitzgerald, the Islanders are going to be unstoppable in the future. Nevermind that little, 5'11, 185 pound Mathieu Schneider slid down to the third round.

Picking things like size, speed and toughness to compare prospects is silly. NHL players aren't compared by these factors so why should prospects? NHL players are defined for the most part by the stats they put up.

I've used this before, but it would be like someone asking, "Who was the better player, Dino Ciccarelli or Dave Andreychuk?" And then replying, "Well Andreychuk was obviously the better player because he was bigger."

Or asking, "Who was better, Brett Hull or Mike Gartner?" And then replying, "No question it was Gartner because he was faster."

Or how about this, "Who's the better defenceman, Nik Lidstrom or Chris Pronger?" And replying, "Pronger is head and shoulders better than Lidstrom because he's tougher."

It sounds stupid when we compare NHLers like this. So why do we do it for prospects all the time?

And it's no co-incidence that Fitzgerald was picked in the 1st round while Hull was a 6th round pick. Andreychuk was a 1st rounder while Ciccarelli was undrafted. Pronger was a 1st rounder and no one got around to picking Lidstrom until the 3rd.

But I guess you're right. That's just what scouts do.

Old
06-09-2005, 09:51 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Army
You're right, for the most part that is what scouts do. Let's take a look at a comparison.

We'll compare Tom Fitzgerald and Brett Hull.

Speed- Tom Fitzgerald
Size- Tom Fitzgerald
Agility- Tom Fitzgerald
Toughness- Tom Fitzgerald
Leadership- Tom Fitzgerald
Tenacity- Tom Fitzgerald
Defensive Sense- Tom Fitzgerald
Stats- Brett Hull
The thing is no one was disrespecting Ruutu in the first place, but if you didn't know better you'd think he was the #1 overall pick, a franchise player and was going to be chasing down Gordie Howe for his records.

If Ruutu is worth more than Gagne, Carter, Pitkanen, 2nd Rounder what the heck is Heatley or Nash worth?

Without comparing to peers, all the information in the world doesn't mean a hill of beans.

In the sport of Sockmorphy Fred Mixfits has scored a career of 82 splinokies.

Is that good?

Old
06-09-2005, 09:54 AM
Leaf Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55

Is that good?
I don't know. How fast is he? That's all that really matters.

Old
06-09-2005, 09:58 AM
timlap

Quote:
. . .
. . .
Holy Bleep!

Old
06-09-2005, 10:35 AM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

Quote:

Is that good?
Not in a player with pleebnits above 30. What are you, an idiot?

Old
06-09-2005, 10:43 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepNCheese
The stats I was looking at weren't complete, so I didn't know about his 30 in pleebnits.

Kind of impacts his 82.

Old
06-09-2005, 10:47 AM
timlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepNCheese
Holy Bleep respectfully withdrawn.

Closed Thread