HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rivals Edition: Predators @ Redwings 12/8/2010

Old
12-08-2010, 08:52 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

vCash: 500
Rivals Edition: Predators @ Redwings 12/8/2010

The Good

The Bad

The Ugly

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 10:45 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
...what, are you trying to get me to root for the Red Wings or something?

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 11:33 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
...what, are you trying to get me to root for the Red Wings or something?
Just trying to keep the mojo going. We are riding Boomer until he's dead.

Old
12-08-2010, 11:52 AM
TOPGUN
I Am Terrible!

Hey guys, any word on your line-up?

TOPGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 11:58 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOPGUN View Post

Hey guys, any word on your line-up?
Sullivan O'Reilly Wilson
Kostitsyn Goc Erat
Hornqvist Legwand Dumont
Ward Smithson Tootoo

Legwand should return tonight, I put him in instead of Spaling, though I'd like to see Dumont or Ward sit instead.

Suter Weber
Klein Bouillon
Franson O'Brien

Lindback
Dekanich

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 12:01 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Sullivan O'Reilly Wilson
Kostitsyn Goc Erat
Hornqvist Legwand Dumont
Ward Smithson Tootoo

Legwand should return tonight, I put him in instead of Spaling, though I'd like to see Dumont or Ward sit instead.

Suter Weber
Klein Bouillon
Franson O'Brien

Lindback
Dekanich
I am praying it is Ward. A line of Legwand Dumont and Horny may get a few good scoring chances... Spaling is a beast. We must have him in against the Wings PP.

Old
12-08-2010, 12:02 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

cooper's blog said legwand skated between ward and smithson and spaling between tootoo and hornquist....i.e. dumont is out

but that was yesterday

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 12:06 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Can't say I mind Leggy skating with the shutdown line tonight, but Dumont doesn't need to become a perma-scratch. I'd hate to see him pushed out of the door like that. Plus he's rather expensive to not be skating.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 12:15 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
cooper's blog said legwand skated between ward and smithson and spaling between tootoo and hornquist....i.e. dumont is out

but that was yesterday
while I don't know if I would like that normally... but tootoo gets the puck to the net. Honk if you are hornqvist.

Old
12-08-2010, 12:15 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post

but that was yesterday
Cooper's blog didn't make sense to me. He said that Dumont and Spaling rotated through line drills with Hornqvist and Tootoo. Why would three RW's go through drills as the fourth line?

If Spaling stays in the lineup, I'd suspect that either Dumont or Tootoo are scratched, but if Spaling is scratched, then your looking at Smithson dropping down a line to play center and likely Tootoo or Dumont moving up the lineup.

I don't know what our bottom six will look like tonight. We've again got too many square pegs to fit into the round holes!

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 12:29 PM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Cooper's blog didn't make sense to me. He said that Dumont and Spaling rotated through line drills with Hornqvist and Tootoo. Why would three RW's go through drills as the fourth line?

If Spaling stays in the lineup, I'd suspect that either Dumont or Tootoo are scratched, but if Spaling is scratched, then your looking at Smithson dropping down a line to play center and likely Tootoo or Dumont moving up the lineup.

I don't know what our bottom six will look like tonight. We've again got too many square pegs to fit into the round holes!
If Leggy can handle normal minutes, it shouldn't be that hard.

Ice the following lines:

10-9-74
26-16-33
71/29-11-27
25-13-29/22

Go with that and you're good. Keeps the "hot" lines together, has two two-way lines (Goc and Leggy's) that can be even better by swapping 33 and 27 or 33 and 71 if Dumont plays, and a pretty good scoring line in 26-16-x. It also keeps a very strong energy line together.

There's no reason to hamper your offense even further by keeping any one of 25, 13, or 22 on a "scoring" line when you don't have to. You basically weaken two lines, plus ice a line that wouldn't score on Dickerson Road.

This team is the only team I've ever seen that has an offensively skilled player return from injury and it redeploys it's lineup to provide overall less offense.

It's maddening.

David Singleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 12:44 PM
TOPGUN
I Am Terrible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Sullivan O'Reilly Wilson
Kostitsyn Goc Erat
Hornqvist Legwand Dumont
Ward Smithson Tootoo

Suter Weber
Klein Bouillon
Franson O'Brien

Lindback
Dekanich
Thanks mate much appreciated

Red Wings line-up is case you were wondering:

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Holmstrom
Franzen-Filppula-Bertuzzi
Hudler-Abdelkader-Cleary
Draper-Helm-Eaves

Lidstrom-Stuart
Ericsson-Rafalski
Kronwall-Salei

Howard (starting)
Osgood

TOPGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 12:47 PM
Wanttoknow0798

Ward will play tonight. He always plays well against the Red Wings and scores frequently too against them.

Wanttoknow0798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 12:54 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Singleton View Post

Ice the following lines:

10-9-74
26-16-33
71/29-11-27
25-13-29/22

Go with that and you're good. Keeps the "hot" lines together, has two two-way lines (Goc and Leggy's) that can be even better by swapping 33 and 27 or 33 and 71 if Dumont plays, and a pretty good scoring line in 26-16-x. It also keeps a very strong energy line together.

There's no reason to hamper your offense even further by keeping any one of 25, 13, or 22 on a "scoring" line when you don't have to. You basically weaken two lines, plus ice a line that wouldn't score on Dickerson Road.

This team is the only team I've ever seen that has an offensively skilled player return from injury and it redeploys it's lineup to provide overall less offense.

It's maddening.
Overall, I largely agree, but...

We know Legwand is going to receive top minutes shadowing the Wings top line, but Dumont and Hornqvist on the wings don't really make that possible.

Ward and Smithson or Tootoo are a more likely combo for that role. Leaving the square pegs on the fourth line. Dumont and Hornqvist need a center with offensive skill. Spaling has not yet proven to be that man. Tootoo is likely uneffective vs. Detroit and has been fading into the background the last stretch. Dumont is in the doghouse and just doesn't fit as a fourth liner. Spaling is going to likely stay in the lineup for his PK skills. And then lastly, we've got Hornqvist coming off a 30 goal season and desperately needing to find linemates that can put the puck on the net.

Too many square pegs to sort out...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 01:01 PM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Overall, I largely agree, but...

We know Legwand is going to receive top minutes shadowing the Wings top line, but Dumont and Hornqvist on the wings don't really make that possible.

Ward and Smithson or Tootoo are a more likely combo for that role. Leaving the square pegs on the fourth line. Dumont and Hornqvist need a center with offensive skill. Spaling has not yet proven to be that man. Tootoo is likely uneffective vs. Detroit and has been fading into the background the last stretch. Dumont is in the doghouse and just doesn't fit as a fourth liner. Spaling is going to likely stay in the lineup for his PK skills. And then lastly, we've got Hornqvist coming off a 30 goal season and desperately needing to find linemates that can put the puck on the net.

Too many square pegs to sort out...
I'm ok with Hornqvist on a two-way line. For those that aren't, sit Dumont (likely anyway I suspect) and have Legwand center Ward and Wilson. Move Hornqvist back with O'Reilly and Sullivan. Let Smithson, Spaling and Tootoo play on the energy line together.

It accomplishes the same goal of a scoring line and two two-way lines without neutering yourself offensively.

Old
12-08-2010, 01:50 PM
Preds Partisan
Nothing

Quote:

Ice the following lines:

10-9-74
26-16-33
71/29-11-27
25-13-29/22

This team is the only team I've ever seen that has an offensively skilled player return from injury and it redeploys it's lineup to provide overall less offense.It's maddening.
Hold up there and take it easy cowboy.....you're making too much sense.

Preds Partisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 02:19 PM
Fortheloveofthegame

Quote:
I'm ok with Hornqvist on a two-way line. For those that aren't, sit Dumont (likely anyway I suspect) and have Legwand center Ward and Wilson. Move Hornqvist back with O'Reilly and Sullivan. Let Smithson, Spaling and Tootoo play on the energy line together.

It accomplishes the same goal of a scoring line and two two-way lines without neutering yourself offensively.
Why not put Hornqvist with Legwand and Ward and leave the Sully, O'R, Wilson line stay put. They have been a huge threat the last 3 games. Hornqvist can still bang and crash and rush the net with Leggy and Ward

Fortheloveofthegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 02:26 PM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteandblue View Post
Why not put Hornqvist with Legwand and Ward and leave the Sully, O'R, Wilson line stay put. They have been a huge threat the last 3 games. Hornqvist can still bang and crash and rush the net with Leggy and Ward
I'm ok with that and did so originally. Some have concerns with Hornqvist in a two-way role (which I believe was what Seth was getting at), so I swapped Wilson and Hornqvist.

It puts Wilson in more of a two-way role and Hornqvist in a more strictly scoring role (although on a line that I believe doesn't maximize his abilities).

Regardless, my point is that defense hasn't been this team's consistent problem over the past several games and it made little sense that the team get's more defensive by adding an offensively skilled player back into the lineup.

Old
12-08-2010, 03:16 PM
Fortheloveofthegame

It will be interesting to see what line up they go with tonight. As many have said adding Legwand, who is an offensive two way player should not make you turn your lines into more defensive roles.
Taking Wilson off the 16 -26 line (and they have been adding a lot of offense) and putting him in more of a two way roll will take away quite a bit of offense. Not sure that is what the Preds need.
Is Hornqvist no good in the D zone, or am I missing something? Just trying to figure out what would be accomplished there. Is Wilson that much better than Hornqvist in D zone?

Fortheloveofthegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 03:51 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
I'm ok with that and did so originally. Some have concerns with Hornqvist in a two-way role (which I believe was what Seth was getting at), so I swapped Wilson and Hornqvist.

It puts Wilson in more of a two-way role and Hornqvist in a more strictly scoring role (although on a line that I believe doesn't maximize his abilities).

Regardless, my point is that defense hasn't been this team's consistent problem over the past several games and it made little sense that the team get's more defensive by adding an offensively skilled player back into the lineup.
I think (read: hope) a lot of it has to do with who is coming back and the timing. It's Legwand, our best defensive forward, and we're playing Detroit, a team that can threaten with basically any line right now. As defensive-minded as Trotz is, that tendency to ice a shutdown team increases exponentially when it comes to playing Detroit.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 03:54 PM
PredsChik

I think the Rivals video is the greatest opening video ever. I just watched it at work and got a little emotional... and am so ready for game time!

PredsChik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 04:50 PM
Legionnaire11

Do the Preds win 15 faceoffs again in this game? I might take the under...

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 05:06 PM
Pred303

interested in seeing what these lines look like tonight as well..

Pred303 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 05:11 PM
lugnut76

I wouldn't mind Spaling on a wing that is centered by Legwand as a good defensive line and bump Smithson to fourth line center. I think Spaling is just as good defensively and may be a little better than Smithson offensively.

lugnut76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 05:37 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Right now I'm playing the 'One of these things is not like the other game' and the only person I see out is Dumont.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote