HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Point Blank TV: Brendan Witt

Old
12-08-2010, 12:13 PM
section207

vCash: 500
Point Blank TV: Brendan Witt

Brendan didn't pull any punches when it came to Scott Gordon.

http://www.islanderspointblank.com/2...-of-the-story/

section207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 12:27 PM
Brunomics

Quote:
Originally Posted by section207 View Post

Cliffs?

Can't listen to it at work

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 12:29 PM
Trumanperro

Send a message via AIM to Trumanperro
Quote:
Originally Posted by section207 View Post

Everything good Wang has done, he's destroyed.

Trumanperro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 12:48 PM
Melanson

Very interesting interview. Basically Witt says Gordon had a personal vendetta against him and he lost out. Once he was done rehabbing he was shipped to Bridgeport.

I'm guessing Botta won't be getting his credentials back anytime soon.

Melanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 01:10 PM
redbull
Expect more

I always liked Witt. Straight shooter, played the game right, was a good Islander for a lot of years. Shame it ended the way it did.

I believe him completely when it comes to Gordon and the idea that he took things personally. I liked Gordon as a coach, but he was definitely a bit immature at times, especially under scrutiny and criticism. Like storming out of media interviews, etc.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 01:24 PM
macleod50

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
I always liked Witt. Straight shooter, played the game right, was a good Islander for a lot of years. Shame it ended the way it did.

I believe him completely when it comes to Gordon and the idea that he took things personally. I liked Gordon as a coach, but he was definitely a bit immature at times, especially under scrutiny and criticism. Like storming out of media interviews, etc.
I really hated how Witt's tenure on the Island ended. The guy put his body on the line every game and really busted his ass when he was out there. Granted he started to slow down but to ship him out to BP to finish off his career was just crap.

I'm glad he didn't pull any punches.

macleod50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 01:34 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post

"don't blame the system, guys."

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 01:58 PM
BillD

Quote:
Originally Posted by macleod50 View Post
I really hated how Witt's tenure on the Island ended. The guy put his body on the line every game and really busted his ass when he was out there. Granted he started to slow down but to ship him out to BP to finish off his career was just crap.

I'm glad he didn't pull any punches.
Gordon is a dick. Personal vendetta against a real heart and soul professional because the "system" failed for the players he had just sucks.
Witt is no slower than 40 year old Sean O'Donnell who is doing so well (same type player) with the Flyers this year. I always thought Witter could have played reduced minutes 3rd pairing and been a much better option than the Chef. But Gordon actually said he would like to see Witt out of the NHL. I guess he's lucky Witt didn't take his head off.

Last edited by BillD: 12-09-2010 at 05:16 AM.
BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 02:31 PM
mitchy22

I loved what Witt brought to the table. That said, he was getting blown by in ways that have nothing to do with our system. You might also notice that he isn't playing in the NHL this year.

As of last season, he could be a #6/#7 on a team which could pair him with a much faster player. That's about it. I wish things ended better for him, but he was brutal towards the end. Blame the system, but there wasn't a system in the NHL that was going to help him close off forwards quicker.

Gordon is such an easy target at this point. Witt was an easy target last season. This is a side story. Gordon would have been fine with more time and a better squad. When you hire a rookie coach, you run into rookie problems. The problem is that we have too much on the job training going on.

We need to place less bets on players. We need to bring in more sure things. If this dreadful season continues all the way to the end, then we will need our first sure thing to be an experienced NHL coach. After that, we will need to add veteran forwards that are proven scorers to our mix of young players and prospects. We didn't overpay for the protection that our young talent deserved. We're paying the price for it. Now, we're seriously running the risk of damaging our goods.

Mitch

mitchy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 02:32 PM
macleod50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goaljudge View Post
Gordon is a dick. Personal vendetta against a real heart and soul professional because the "system" failed for the players he had just sucks.
Witt is no slower than 40 year old Sean Donnelly who is doing so well (same type player) with the Flyers this year. I always thought Witter could have played reduced minutes 3rd pairing and been a much better option than the Chef. But Gordon actually said he would like to see Witt out of the NHL. I guess he's lucky Witt didn't take his head off.
Yeah I have no problem now with Gordon getting fired if he really said that to Witt.

I have no doubts that Witt could still play 3rd pair minutes. Even a 3rd pairing of him and Hillen would have been good. A guy like Hamonic could have probably learned a lot from him as well.

macleod50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 03:06 PM
petrocelli
I love the Draft!!

Gordon was too smug and arrogant... Snow is the same way....

Gordon conducted himself in post-game interviews the same way Bill Belichek does. The only problem with that is you need to be a proven winner with championships to get away with that type of arrogant/abrasive style..

Gordon may have been good with the X's and O's but was lacking in the 'how to connect with his players' department...

Snow and Gordon are two smug/arrogant jerks that can sit next to each other in that empty barn all season.. and make each other miserable.

petrocelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 03:38 PM
islandermike

I'm sure Gordon had it in for Witt but this board was killing Witt when he was constantly being beat last year. His story is another in a long line of epic fails by this organization to get anything remotely close to progress done but let's not make him the martyr for all things that are wrong here.

islandermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 03:47 PM
Brunomics

Gordon may have handled it bad but Witt was done and we all know it. If he had any steam left he would've been picked up on waivers. They did the right thing in sending him down imo. Do I still think Gordo is an ass yes I do but honestly Witt looked worse than Gervais out there.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 03:52 PM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

vCash: 1130
Lest we forget 2/3rd of the people in this board earlier this season were happy that Brendan Witt was gone citing "his attitude problems"

Now we are all praising him for being the whistle blower who was silenced in the organization. Who would of thought Chris Botta was the Mike Wallace of the NHL.

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 04:31 PM
4straight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post
Lest we forget 2/3rd of the people in this board earlier this season were happy that Brendan Witt was gone citing "his attitude problems"

Now we are all praising him for being the whistle blower who was silenced in the organization. Who would of thought Chris Botta was the Mike Wallace of the NHL.
perfectly put.

4straight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 05:26 PM
mygameworn

Send a message via AIM to mygameworn
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4straight View Post
perfectly put.

Maybe Witt's attitude was a reflection of Mr. Overspeed's treatment. If your coach was after you, then wouldn't you have an attitude?

mygameworn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 05:57 PM
OhNoItsComeau57

This confirms my thoughts on Gordon. Im not saying I think firing him was the right move or saying I like how they did it but I have not been a huge Gordon fan for awhile. I always kind of struck me as an arrogant guy but there was one event that really stuck out to me in a bad way. In a post game Rob Carlin (who i cant stand) asked him a tough question, I think in regard to a losing streak, and instead of taking it on the chin like an adult he had a temper tantrum and stormed away. I mean the Isles have so little media coverage there are not alot of tough questions so to storm away from that really annoyed me. Witt's comments seem to back that up.

Witt may have been done on the ice but I have no reason to think he isn't a stand up guy. His actions have always projected that. Disappointed that Gordon took that approach with him of true.

OhNoItsComeau57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 08:19 PM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

I miss Witter. What a dick thing to say by Gordon. I don't see him as a whistle blower, but more of someone who didnt like what was going on and he said he did what he did for the organization and I believe him.

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 08:48 PM
Doug Height
Okposwag

I always liked Witt. His play was obviously not up to par last year, but this really makes Gordon look like an assclown.

Doug Height is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 09:22 PM
Hockify

Quote:

Everyone is also conveniently forgetting how bad you all said Witt looked his last season (or longer) just because they like him. Don't you guys all remember how much you complained about his play?

I think blaming your coach because you couldn't play well enough to stay in the NHL is kinda sad.

Hockify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 09:37 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Let's not forget that we're only getting one side of the story here.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 10:08 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockify View Post
Everyone is also conveniently forgetting how bad you all said Witt looked his last season (or longer) just because they like him. Don't you guys all remember how much you complained about his play?

I think blaming your coach because you couldn't play well enough to stay in the NHL is kinda sad.
Slow player, bad system, we have people that believe the system is great (team said so), so Witt is worthless.

Slow player, stays back and hits, trap system, used as a #4 or 5.....he's pretty valuable.

I sided with the second one, and still do, but if we have no choice but to think Gorto was a brilliant coach and only fast players are worth anything in the NUU NHL, then I guess I get your point.

But there are slower players than Witt on better teams. Our team had a disease and a symptom of that disease was Gordon's hiring. A complication arose when quality players started playing badly.

I wonder if Park was ruined as well. Hmm.....but that would mean one would have to assume Gordon was not a great coach/hire.

I never complained about Witt for the record.....I was the guy bashed for stating quality guys were being misused.

Old
12-08-2010, 10:41 PM
Hockify

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
Slow player, bad system, we have people that believe the system is great (team said so), so Witt is worthless.

Slow player, stays back and hits, trap system, used as a #4 or 5.....he's pretty valuable.

I sided with the second one, and still do, but if we have no choice but to think Gorto was a brilliant coach and only fast players are worth anything in the NUU NHL, then I guess I get your point.

But there are slower players than Witt on better teams. Our team had a disease and a symptom of that disease was Gordon's hiring. A complication arose when quality players started playing badly.

I wonder if Park was ruined as well. Hmm.....but that would mean one would have to assume Gordon was not a great coach/hire.

I never complained about Witt for the record.....I was the guy bashed for stating quality guys were being misused.
Nope not that I ever remember seeing. But you remember piles of people all over him right? They said how bad he looked and they were all happy he was gone saying things like good riddance aside from only a couple of people (like you) and now they miss him and say how nice it would be if he was still here and he got screwed over and things like that? Doesn't make sense the way people do 180's without even acknowledging they do it.

Hockify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 11:01 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockify View Post
Nope not that I ever remember seeing. But you remember piles of people all over him right? They said how bad he looked and they were all happy he was gone saying things like good riddance aside from only a couple of people (like you) and now they miss him and say how nice it would be if he was still here and he got screwed over and things like that? Doesn't make sense the way people do 180's without even acknowledging they do it.
Absolutely....and piles of people who defend Wang and Snow and PLANs and everything orange. Great fans, lousy critical thinkers.

If we sign Malkin, everything orange is rosy again and people will defend Snow and Wang and our Jack Adams coach Capuano. It's just human nature. Rick is great, thena bum who should be bought out or retire and now he's the bestest again.

I just hope, PRAY, people learn once and for all the game as it has been played, fluid, dynamic, changing, varied skillsets and roles....an all encompassing roster.....THAT wins games. And a coach who can coach THE GAME beats a systems coach all the time. The trap teams have to play playoff hockey and the run and gun teams do as well.

Old
12-09-2010, 01:11 AM
Isles Junkie

Well that's unfortunate that Scott & Brendans relationship deteriorated that way. But I don't feel bad for Brendan at all. he was done as done can be. Maybe it wasn't the best way to go about things, but Scott was 100% right when he said if he had it his way he wouldn't be on the roster anymore.

I'll always appreciate him for the way he played here, but it was time to move on.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote