HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Philly rivals: Caps going same way as Pens?

Old
12-08-2010, 12:10 PM
Ghost of Downie*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckBoy33 View Post
How did you have time to type that? Aren't your hands usually busy j--king off Cindy Crosby?
Last five years

Penguins: 1 Cup
Flyers: 0

We're not outplaying ****.

To answer the proposed question, would Semin signing really make that much of a difference in the Caps cap? I mean, if he asked for as much as Backstrom, he'd only be making an extra $700,000, and Laich can be upped to $4 Mil by not resigning Knuble. Even then, I don't think offense will ever be a problem as long as Boudreau is coach.

Ghost of Downie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 02:22 PM
drownedsailors

ok seriously am I the only one who gets pissed off when I read stuff like "last years team was a fluke"; oh come one! before the 2009-2010 season started everyone predicted a Philly and Chicago final, why? because on paper they were by far the two deepest teams in the league. Chicago had a good year, while Philly struggled with goaltending issues, injuries and coaching changes. But when they got their Sh** together (playoffs) they showed what they were truly capable of. Even coach Lavi said "the biggest thing about the Hawks is they had a great year" which is true, they had the confidence to win because of the year they had. But aside from that they probably had just a bit more depth than Philly, and that's why they won.

never did I imagine that the Flyers could come back in the Boston series, but considering they out played the bruins in 2 of those 3 losses, it shouldn't be that surprising and it definitely wasn't a fluke series win.

I mean why do you guys think the boys are having such a great year so far? they're pretty much the same team as last year (minus Gagne) not to mention they improved on goaltending *ahem* Leighton...

drownedsailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 02:46 PM
agrudez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by drownedsailors View Post
ok seriously am I the only one who gets pissed off when I read stuff like "last years team was a fluke"; oh come one! before the 2009-2010 season started everyone predicted a Philly and Chicago final, why? because on paper they were by far the two deepest teams in the league. Chicago had a good year, while Philly struggled with goaltending issues, injuries and coaching changes. But when they got their Sh** together (playoffs) they showed what they were truly capable of. Even coach Lavi said "the biggest thing about the Hawks is they had a great year" which is true, they had the confidence to win because of the year they had. But aside from that they probably had just a bit more depth than Philly, and that's why they won.

never did I imagine that the Flyers could come back in the Boston series, but considering they out played the bruins in 2 of those 3 losses, it shouldn't be that surprising and it definitely wasn't a fluke series win.

I mean why do you guys think the boys are having such a great year so far? they're pretty much the same team as last year (minus Gagne) not to mention they improved on goaltending *ahem* Leighton...
Two flukes that occurred in last years playoffs:

1) the two teams who stood the best chance at beating the Flyers with their terrible goaltending (Pitt and Wash) were ousted before they met the Flyers.

2) a 7 and 8 seed met in the ECF (first time ever I believe)

Many people, preseason, picked the Flyers to win the SC, so no one should be surprised that they did; however, they SHOULD be surprised a 7 seed made the SC, because that could largely be seen as a fluke.

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 03:29 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:

Last year they made the playoffs on a shootout, down 3-0 against the B's, but most of last year was surrounded by inconsistency. Go back and look at how many multi-game losing streaks they had, and of course they got the coach fired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post

1) the two teams who stood the best chance at beating the Flyers with their terrible goaltending (Pitt and Wash) were ousted before they met the Flyers.

Many people, preseason, picked the Flyers to win the SC, so no one should be surprised that they did; however, they SHOULD be surprised a 7 seed made the SC, because that could largely be seen as a fluke.

Well said on all counts. They were picked to be in the SCF's by Melrose, but the regular seasons were two different tales of how each team got there. The ultimately got teh luck of the draw and the Habs got on fire for two rounds until they met a bigger Flyers team.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 03:53 PM
drownedsailors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
Last year they made the playoffs on a shootout, down 3-0 against the B's, but most of last year was surrounded by inconsistency. Go back and look at how many multi-game losing streaks they had, and of course they got the coach fired.

Well said on all counts. They were picked to be in the SCF's by Melrose, but the regular seasons were two different tales of how each team got there. The ultimately got teh luck of the draw and the Habs got on fire for two rounds until they met a bigger Flyers team.
Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post

you guys can think whatever you want, but the fact of the matter is if the Flyers 7th seed ranking was honest to how they played and if they really did play in the playoffs like a 7th seeded team than they would have been swept by the Hawks (they probably wouldn't have even made it that far). But that didn't happen, they put up more of a fight than San Jose did (the 1st seeded team from the West) and had enough depth and speed to pace the Hawks.

I mean especially after last years playoffs I find it hilarious how people still think that the regular season means sh**...Why do you think the Flyers were predicted to meet the Hawks in the playoffs? because of their depth; they just had a bad regular season (due to injuries, goaltending and coaching changes); and turned it up during the Post season when it really matters.

What happened to Washington? the president trophy winners? what happened to the defending champs? all bested by an 8th seeded team, in fact all top 3 seeds from the East were out in the first round; how many more facts do you guys need? if the Flyers won the cup last year, they would be talking about how a good team who had a tough year found a way to win the cup in an epic playoff run...their seed ranking wouldn't have been an after thought, but considering all the predictions made before the season started it would certainly be understandable that the Flyers found a way to win the cup...however if Montreal won the cup; that's just a huge choke by every team in the league...

Old
12-08-2010, 03:57 PM
IAN aka RYAN

Send a message via AIM to IAN aka RYAN
The Pens and Caps "magically" dont make the playoffs this year... the flyers get the 6 seed and proceed to win the SC.

....everyone, "Fluke YEAR!"

...until we beat the Pens/Caps or both in a PO series, then win a Cup... only then will the Flyers earn the gratitude of being the best.

IAN aka RYAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 04:12 PM
drownedsailors

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAN aka RYAN View Post
The Pens and Caps "magically" dont make the playoffs this year... the flyers get the 6 seed and proceed to win the SC.

...until we beat the Pens/Caps or both in a PO series, then win a Cup... only then will the Flyers earn the gratitude of being the best.

WHAT?!?!?!?!?

...I'm not even gonna...

Old
12-08-2010, 04:13 PM
Terence Peterman

The Caps can bite my ass, but that doesn't mean I think they're a rivalry.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 04:33 PM
Flyerfan808

I H A T E C A P S

Last edited by Flyerfan808: 12-08-2010 at 05:00 PM. Reason: HFBOARDS HATES CAPS TOO
Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 05:08 PM
Appleyard

I dont even think of the caps as a rivalry at all! They do nothing in the playoffs, different division, no history, heck I still half remember them as the team with the eagle on the black jersey who did **** all every year (apart from 97-98 ofc, and having one of the best records ever for consistently losing in the conference quarters). My list of rivals atm, the games I really want to win, would be:

Pens
Rangers

Devils

Habs
Bruins

Caps

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 07:55 PM
rban*

Rags?? Their team is cr(p. I dont care how well they're doing in this regular season, they are not built for the POs...

rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 10:36 PM
Tender Rip
#Haz supa line mates

I suppose you could say dealing Fleischmann for Hannan says that Washington are aware that they need to rebalance a little, and in the future one would expect that Carlsson and Alzner improve that blueline incrementally.

One thing that shouldn't be forgotten though is that the Caps have strong offensive talent waiting in the prospect ranks. Don't think they'll be anything but explosive in that category for many years to come - if AO, Backstrom and Semin didn't guarantee that on their own.

Pens are also bringing some decent prospects along now, and we'll have cap room to add a genuine top6 forward next season on top of what is there already. Not that we'll have 7 or 8 such like the Flyers, but we'll be pretty close to having a full deck on the top6 for the first time since the early 90s.

Flyers on the other hand will be hard pressed to match the offense you have now going forward even if your top players have been signing cap-friendly deals. Giroux will start costing real money next season (though still a relative bargain), Leino is producing to the tune of getting paid and there's just one more ELC year on JVR as well. Zherdev getting 2 millon is probably a one-off as well. Which adds up to the Flyers being a very strong team in the foreseeable future, but your very best shot might be this season.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 11:24 PM
metalan2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckBoy33 View Post
----------

The Flyers have outplayed the Penguins and Capitals when it counts--during the playoff run. Performance during the "second season" is more important than during the regular season. All the Flyers have to do is get into the Playoffs.
Yes obviously. However the Flyers have not come close to outplaying the Penguins in the playoffs. No team has won more playoff games or series than the Pens in the last 3 seasons. Flyers have outplayed the Caps but they haven't come close to the Pens. Not to mention the Pens have beat the Flyers twice in those three years. Not sure how you can say the Flyers outplay the Penguins when it counts.

metalan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 11:36 PM
StandingCow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
Pathetic, this is like rooting for the Giants or Cowboys, never going to happen.
lol, far from that. Like I said, rooting for the pens/rags/devs/habs is like rooting for the giants or cowboys. Rooting for the caps (I would never root for any team that is playing the Flyers) is more like rooting for... let's say green bay.

But, I don't watch football.. it is like 2 min of action then 100000000 hours of commercials.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 06:18 AM
kicksave27

The caps are to the flyers as pitt is to penn st. A rivalry is not one way. Though i do hate joe bonadouchbag.

The rangers and flyers FANS is a big rivalry, which is also in baseball as well. Since their fans tend to come into philly and make totally ***** of the themselves

I had no hate of the pens until crosby. I can barely stand to watch a pens flyers game because I hate him so much.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 08:01 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingCow View Post
lol, far from that. Like I said, rooting for the pens/rags/devs/habs is like rooting for the giants or cowboys. Rooting for the caps (I would never root for any team that is playing the Flyers) is more like rooting for... let's say green bay.

But, I don't watch football.. it is like 2 min of action then 100000000 hours of commercials.
The Caps used to be in the Patrick Division and there was a good rivalry during the laet 1980's, I still hate them as much as the Pens, Rags, Devils, or Isles. Plus you add the hate for the Redskins and it makes for plenty of hate to go around!

Old
12-09-2010, 08:04 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
you guys can think whatever you want, but the fact of the matter is if the Flyers 7th seed ranking was honest to how they played and if they really did play in the playoffs like a 7th seeded team than they would have been swept by the Hawks (they probably wouldn't have even made it that far). But that didn't happen, they put up more of a fight than San Jose did (the 1st seeded team from the West) and had enough depth and speed to pace the Hawks.

I mean especially after last years playoffs I find it hilarious how people still think that the regular season means sh**...Why do you think the Flyers were predicted to meet the Hawks in the playoffs? because of their depth; they just had a bad regular season (due to injuries, goaltending and coaching changes); and turned it up during the Post season when it really matters.

What happened to Washington? the president trophy winners? what happened to the defending champs? all bested by an 8th seeded team, in fact all top 3 seeds from the East were out in the first round; how many more facts do you guys need? if the Flyers won the cup last year, they would be talking about how a good team who had a tough year found a way to win the cup in an epic playoff run...their seed ranking wouldn't have been an after thought, but considering all the predictions made before the season started it would certainly be understandable that the Flyers found a way to win the cup...however if Montreal won the cup; that's just a huge choke by every team in the league...
Bottom line is teams do not win the Stanley Cup if they do not finish in the top 4 seeds and only once as a #5 seed(NJ Devils with Brodeur) going back to the 1967 expansion. How you play during the regular season will at some point have a direct impact on the level of play during the playoffs, look at Chicago. Just making the playoffs is not good enough and it baffles me that people actually think this way.

Old
12-09-2010, 08:34 AM
Kambo

Send a message via AIM to Kambo
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAN aka RYAN View Post

I wouldn't call it a fluke, so much as being lucky. That's what I consider the playoffs last year. The fact that we didn't have to face either of them is extreme luck of the draw. Not to say we wouldn't have beaten them, but we might not have made the finals either. Now I'm not trying to lessen the accomplishment of the comeback against the Bruins either, being as it was huge and not just any team could've done that, but I'd say we had a fairly easy route to the finals.

Quote:
WHAT?!?!?!?!?

...I'm not even gonna...
I'd say he's pretty correct in saying that. Even if you, yourself don't believe it, much of the league would. Same thing happened to the Phillies when they played the Rays in the WS. The fact that the Rays weren't really considered the great team to beat that year, most media outlets and baseball fans say it definitely lessened the grandeur, I guess you could say, of the Phillies winning. I don't discount it at all, but I would say when it comes to the Flyers and winning the cup, I'd rather they beat the Pens and Caps in the POs and go on to win, then to avoid them. Sure I'd kill to see any kind of win, but there would be plenty saying they got lucky and it was a fluke because they avoided the teams they did. It happened last year, and it certainly would happen again if they won and didn't play them.

Kambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 10:41 AM
FlyersCup08

Like someone said earlier, who really cares about them? The only two really good out-of-division rivalries were the Sabres (w/ Hasek) and the Leafs.

FlyersCup08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 10:45 AM
Hollywood Couturier
#NoHonorForConnor

I still don't consider the Caps or the Pens that matter a rivalry. I don't hate the teams. I don't hate the players. However, what I do hate is the teams fans.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 12:44 PM
rban*

Still think everyone is under estimating the poitential future threat of the Caps.

Bottom lne: Pens have locked up a few superstars .. and have beaten Flyers twice in recent POs and have won a Cup. Agree that the years they did that, they had more than just Crosby and Malkin, but still: those two were the basic building blocks.

The Caps are on the point of also locking up three very skilled superstar players for the long term. I fully realize that that alone will not be enough to win a Cup and threaten the Flyers, but it is a good starting point for them.

I dont see Mtl or Rags or NJ heading in this direction. I fail to see why some are considering those teams more of a long term threat than Caps.

rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 01:21 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rban View Post
Still think everyone is under estimating the poitential future threat of the Caps.

Bottom lne: Pens have locked up a few superstars .. and have beaten Flyers twice in recent POs and have won a Cup. Agree that the years they did that, they had more than just Crosby and Malkin, but still: those two were the basic building blocks.

The Caps are on the point of also locking up three very skilled superstar players for the long term. I fully realize that that alone will not be enough to win a Cup and threaten the Flyers, but it is a good starting point for them.

I dont see Mtl or Rags or NJ heading in this direction. I fail to see why some are considering those teams more of a long term threat than Caps.
With their defense and lack of fwd help on defense I do not see them being much of a playoff threat but will continue to have regular season success.

Old
12-09-2010, 01:23 PM
Kambo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rban View Post

I agree. I know everyone keeps saying that until the Caps win a PO round, they'll continue to not be worried about them, which is a semi-valid point. However, they will eventually hit a team that can't contain them/ doesn't take them seriously, and they'll advance and go who knows how far. I know they didn't advance last year, but I was more than happy when we didn't have to play them, and I won't be in the future when we meet up in the POs.

Old
12-09-2010, 01:28 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kambo View Post
I agree. I know everyone keeps saying that until the Caps win a PO round, they'll continue to not be worried about them, which is a semi-valid point. However, they will eventually hit a team that can't contain them/ doesn't take them seriously, and they'll advance and go who knows how far. I know they didn't advance last year, but I was more than happy when we didn't have to play them, and I won't be in the future when we meet up in the POs.
The biggest reason I don't fully agree with you is the Caps are currently like the Flyers under Stevens, but with more high end talent that makes it easier on them. That still doesn't make it good enough though, because on any given night any team could badly outplay them.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 02:11 PM
Kambo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
The biggest reason I don't fully agree with you is the Caps are currently like the Flyers under Stevens, but with more high end talent that makes it easier on them. That still doesn't make it good enough though, because on any given night any team could badly outplay them.
We still went to the ECF with Stevens. Granted we didn't get past the Pens, but we still got that far...... It seems like no one expects the Caps to ever get past the first round until they make drastic changes. It may be the case, but one of these years, they will. It's only a matter of time, and I would think at this point, the players on that team won't take the POs and series leads for granted. I mean ****, last year the Caps were that close to advancing.