HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kostitsyn getting more minutes, playing better?

Old
12-07-2010, 04:09 PM
malkinfan

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to malkinfan
Kostitsyn getting more minutes, playing better?

I was a fan of his in his montreal days... Noticed he had a slow start in Nashville, seen him play live against the wings a few months ago and he barely saw any ice time. Now it appears he is on the second line and making the best of his opportunity. Is he their to stay?

malkinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 04:15 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

He's looked really good lately, really starting to show his skill set.

Funny, where's that Dryden29 guy now?

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 04:17 PM
MrJoshua

He had a broken foot at the beginning of the season, and I think he's only now really starting to get his stride back. He has certainly shown some chemistry with Goc and Erat lately.

MrJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 04:18 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post

I think Dryden still has the upper hand for now on BFC in their bet...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 04:23 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
I think Dryden still has the upper hand for now on BFC in their bet...
HA! True. No worries though. I'll start worrying at game 41 and game 82

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 04:28 PM
CalleJAMkrok
Weber/Neal/Rinne

Kostistyn's passing skills are amazing, he seems to be finding his spot here

CalleJAMkrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 04:44 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

I knew he was gonna be a good under the radar pick up. And I havent seen much of his so called "attitude problem" that he had in Montreal.

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 04:59 PM
Soundgarden

He's made some killer plays for his last couple of points. I really like the Erat-Goc-Kostitsyn line they seem to be clicking right now.

Soundgarden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 06:52 PM
belle

I am sure not being in a spotlight (or headlight) helps.

Having Erat as a mentor for "the Predator way" does not hurt.

belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 07:11 PM
Fortheloveofthegame

With ice time comes confidence, and with confidence, skilled players can take more chances (drop passes etc) and show what they bring.
Getting out for 10 minutes or less is tough on any player to get into the flow of the game.
I don't think this had as much to do with an injury as it did with the coach showing confidence in him, and thus his recent success

Fortheloveofthegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 07:19 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteandblue View Post
With ice time comes confidence, and with confidence, skilled players can take more chances (drop passes etc) and show what they bring.
Getting out for 10 minutes or less is tough on any player to get into the flow of the game.
I don't think this had as much to do with an injury as it did with the coach showing confidence in him, and thus his recent success
To be fair, this was a "show me" type of move by Trotz IMO. Kostitsyn has shown flashes of brilliance in games and in practice, but he has also shown wild inconsistency as well.

I think SK was beginning to slide onto everyone's "is this really gonna work out" radar when Trotz made the move and luckily for everyone...SK has responded.

BTW, who was it that immediately recommended a Erat - Kostitsyn combo this summer when he was acquired? Granted I had Legwand in the middle, but nonetheless...I'm glad to see it working so far!

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 03:14 PM
malkinfan

Send a message via MSN to malkinfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteandblue View Post
This is true, at the beg. of the season he was on the 4th line, at 1 point playing with Tootoo. Nothing against the fourth line guys but there was just no chemistry with SK and the lesser skilled guys. I remember specifically at 1 game I was at, SK made a crafty pass to one of the guys and the guy missed it because he was looking the wrong way. The puck went down the ice and was whistled for icing. The guy then looked back at SK and gave a roll of the head (I could see this from where I was sitting very well). You could see that the guy was thinking: just dump it in! ..Typically guys who see less ice time are just thinking to make safe plays, dump and chase, no turnover etc.. Where a guy like SK is constantly trying to make something happen with his skill. Thats why he was a waste playing under 10 min. a game with these kind of players....
Now we you guys are starting to see the creativity and skill that Canadiens fans saw from him when he was on his game. (watched many Canadiens games when he played there).

malkinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 05:05 PM
K3V1N

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Will Son View Post
I knew he was gonna be a good under the radar pick up. And I havent seen much of his so called "attitude problem" that he had in Montreal.
I keep looking for the attitude problem, but I just don't see it. He seems to be adjusting well here. The chemistry was probably never there in Montreal for whatever reason.

There's a lot with sports psychology as we all know.

K3V1N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 01:58 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by K3V1N View Post
I keep looking for the attitude problem, but I just don't see it. He seems to be adjusting well here. The chemistry was probably never there in Montreal for whatever reason.

I'm not surprised that SK is adjusting to playing in Nashville. Sergei's biggest problem was the fishbowl Montreal market. You are always under the microscope there. Real (and unreal) issues get blown out of proportion

The other half of his problem was the chemistry between SK and coaches Carbonneau and Martin. SK got in their doghouse. Sometimes deserved sometimes not (in my opinion). I get the impression that once you are in Martin's doghouse there is no easy escape. SK probably felt he was being screwed around. I think Martin handled it poorly

As many have noticed, SK is a superb passer and play-maker. Putting him with 3rd or 4th line guys with lesser skills is not going to help. Nobody to finish. Even a 3rd line with young talented guys would help a lot. I see he is getting some PP play.

Trots is handling him well I think. He may never be a star but he can certainly be a good forward for you. Glad to see him getting a chance. 8 points in 23 games when TOI averages 10 minutes (so far) is not bad at all

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 10:18 PM
cleangene

There's NO ROOM WHATSOEVER for anyone else in Trotz doghouse besides J.P. these days.

cleangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2010, 10:52 PM
MrJoshua

Seriously. We might as well stop calling it Trotz's doghouse and just start calling it J.P.'s Place.

MrJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 10:24 AM
Gnashdavis

I am pulling for JP. Even though i understand why Trotz keeps him in the doghouse. Does anyone else think maybe this is as hard as dumont can play? maybe he doesn't have much left in the tank?

Gnashdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 12:29 PM
Do Make Say Think
& Yet & Yet

vCash: 50
SK is the kind of player that will succeed away from Montreal.

When he was playing with Lang he was pretty much as good as you could want out of an 18/19 year old.

Montreal will regret not having him in a few years.

Do Make Say Think is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 01:36 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post

Probably still trying to get a refund on those Hamilton Predators tickets.

I love SK. He seems to be turning into what we expected, and the money is next to nothing. If he keeps up he'll be looking for a big raise, though.

TMI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 01:43 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Probably still trying to get a refund on those Hamilton Predators tickets.
That was Lightning Legwand not 29 if I'm correct on that one.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 02:38 PM
Gnashdavis

i was on the cut SK bandwagon. didn't really give him a chance, but if he continues to play on the line with erat and goc I think we may have ourselves a solid player. Feel free to offer up crow ryan...

Gnashdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 04:33 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

but Dryden posted on every negative thread on SK. Not that I mind him not posting on our board..

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 10:25 PM
Mathradio
Drive for 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
To be fair, this was a "show me" type of move by Trotz IMO. Kostitsyn has shown flashes of brilliance in games and in practice, but he has also shown wild inconsistency as well.

I think SK was beginning to slide onto everyone's "is this really gonna work out" radar when Trotz made the move and luckily for everyone...SK has responded.

BTW, who was it that immediately recommended a Erat - Kostitsyn combo this summer when he was acquired? Granted I had Legwand in the middle, but nonetheless...I'm glad to see it working so far!
And so is his brother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K3V1N View Post

Montreal's hockey market is one of the worst markets for player scrutiny in any sport. In Nashville, there is not much scrutiny for him. He is a nobody outside Preds fans.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2010, 12:02 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

5 game point streak, play\effort away from the puck lauded by Trotz in the postgame show tonight. Seems Sergei has turned a corner.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2010, 01:17 AM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
5 game point streak, play\effort away from the puck lauded by Trotz in the postgame show tonight. Seems Sergei has turned a corner.
His effort is 10x better than it was just a few weeks ago. I don't know if it was the injury, confidence, trying to familiarize, just getting the chance or whatever but I was skeptical just a few weeks ago and I'm starting to become a believer. It's good to see Trotz not just leaning on his vets even when their not producing and letting the young skilled guys get a legit chance

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote