HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

MMA General Discussion Thread (UFC, Strikeforce, Dream etc...)

Closed Thread

Old
12-08-2010, 11:54 AM
Oilerdiehard

vCash: 500
MMA General Discussion Thread (UFC, Strikeforce, Dream etc...)

I know there are a lot of regular Oiler posters that are also avid Mixed Martial Arts fans. There seems to be some interest in talking MMA and thread for it. So I figured I would start one and see how it goes.

I only ask we attempt to avoid any pissing matches about this organization is better than one or those types of things that usually turn into a mess. A recent thread was shut down and rightly so as there were a lot of insulting / confrontational posts and a great lack of understanding to those that did not know much about the sport. So let's avoid that this time around or a similar fate will befell this thread.

Just looking for some good civil discussion on MMA and anything related to the sport.

Some recent events:

UFC Ultimate Fighter Finale:

- Awesome opening fight between Leonard Garcia and Nam Phan.

- Always get a kick out of watching "American Psycho" Stephan Bonnor fight. Solid outing from him. Both fighters get point deductions.

- I was cheering for Brookins going into the Finale. So I was happy with the outcome. But Brookins in the 1st round kept his hands down and his chin out with a big bullseye and Johnson tested that chin big time. Brookins was lucky to make it out of the first. Then he went to work with his wrestling and ground and pound and dominated the final two rounds.

Strikeforce:

- I really enjoyed this card and thought there were some exciting fights. Big fan of Robbie Lawler, Dan Henderson, Benji Radach, Scott Smith.

- Radach looked bloated and out of shape. I know he was fighting above his normal weight and coming off a long time injury. Also took the fight on short notice. But he looked bad in there, came on a little in 3rd round though.

- I thought the last 3 fights were crazy and fun and we got to see 3 straight knock outs. The Paul Daley knock out of Scott Smith was dramatic and Dan Henderson intense ground and pound on Babalu Sobrel was pure destruction and impressive IMO. Great come back after his disappointing last fight.

- Thought Mike Kyle looked impressive despite the loss. As he moved up to fight a guy that grossly out weighed him and is a great fighter in his own right in Atonio Bigfoot Silva. I think Kyle will continue to be a force at his normal lower weight class where he has a nice win streak going.

- Big fan of Canadian announcer Mauro Renallo even though he comes up with some cheesy puns at times (though no where near Principe levels of lame haha). Pat Miletich is a fantastic colour guy as well IMO.

Bellator Fighting Season 2:

- Second season just recently ended. Not sure I am fan of this whole "season" concept in MMA but whatever...

- It is amazing how far and fast Roger Huerta continues to fall. He has now lost 4 of his last 5 fights.

- Pat Curran the cousin of loooong time MMA fighter Jeff Curran has been impressive so far in Bellator.

- Love watching Eddie Alvarez fight. I hope the hype for a cross promotion fight with Gilbert Melendez comes to fruition soon.

Dream:

I usually try to follow Japanese MMA shows at least somewhat closely. But lately I have not seen much lately. Maybe someone could discuss this.

I am fan of some of their fights Gegard Mousasi (also in Strikeforce and may actually be under contract mainly with them?), Shinya Aoki, Joachim Hansen, Marius Zaromskis, Kazushi Sakuraba etc...

Upcoming Events:

UFC 124 December 11th

- Looking forward to seeing Oiler fan George St. Pierre completely dismantle Josh Koscheck (who I dislike ).

- Also looking forward to watching Stefan Struve, Matt Riddle (entertaining guy and he lives in my area as well) and the Joe Doerksen vs. Dan Miller fight etc...

Strikeforce:

- Looking for to Josh Barnett's and Sergei Kharitonov's debuts for the promotion.

- Also looking forward to the next fights with Manoef, King Mo, Diaz, Noons, Melendez, Alistair Overeem, Feijao, Marloes Conen, Luke Rockhold, Sarah Kaufman, Mousasi, Werdum, Bret Rogers, Meisha Tate and last but not least Jason Mayhem Miller.

Last edited by Oilerdiehard: 12-10-2010 at 05:01 PM.
Old
12-08-2010, 12:01 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
I'll be watching Saturday's UFC 124. Really outside of the main event I'm not really excited to see the rest of the card. I suspect it is one of those cards where I have too many pops while talking bs with my friends and then come the main event I'm too drunk to watch it so I have to re-watch in the morning.

Main card
Welterweight Championship bout: Georges St-Pierre (c) vs. Josh Koscheck
Heavyweight bout: Stefan Struve vs. Sean McCorkle
Lightweight bout: Jim Miller vs. Charles Oliveira
Lightweight bout: Joe Stevenson vs. Mac Danzig
Welterweight bout: Thiago Alves vs. John Howard

Preliminary card
Lightweight bout: Mark Bocek vs. Dustin Hazelett
Middleweight bout: Jesse Bongfeldt vs. Rafael Natal
Welterweight bout: Matt Riddle vs. Sean Pierson
Middleweight bout: Joe Doerksen vs. Dan Miller
Welterweight bout: TJ Grant vs. Ricardo Almeida
Lightweight bout: Pat Audinwood vs. John Makdessi

Old
12-08-2010, 12:04 PM
joestevens29

I guess I'll throw this one out there. TFC friday at the Shaw.

The fight card:
• 185 lbs: Bastien Huveneers (8-3-1) vs. Nick Hinchliffe (17-6) for the CND MW. Title
• 205 lbs: Victor Valimaki (16-8) vs. Karl Knothe (17-6)
• 170 lbs: Rio Wells (4-0) vs. Louis Carles (7-2)
• 155 lbs: Dia Grant (2-3) vs. Alex Ricci (0-0)
• 155 lbs: Steve Beaumont (1-0) vs. Eric Andre (2-0)
• 190 lbs: Jesse Clarke (2-2) vs.Ryan Sieben (0-2)
• 170 lbs: Mike Scarcello (1-0) vs. Brandon Dumais (0-0)

Old
12-08-2010, 12:06 PM
Spawn

The Strikeforce event was pretty impressive. Hendo looked amazing, although it was a short fight. It's too bad he had such back problems when he fought Shields. He couldn't stop a take down in that fight to save his life.

The card on saturday is pretty mediocre. Other than GSP I'm pretty excited to see Charles Oliveira fight again. The dude has been seriously impressive in his two wins in the UFC. He essentially toyed with Escudero in his last fight and then slapped on a heck of a slick submission. The rest of the card is pretty meh, but some potentially exciting fights, although none with any real implications towards title matches.

Old
12-08-2010, 01:08 PM
AUAIOMRN

K1 Finals are this Friday night (saturday morning) on HDnet, so set your PVRs.

Also there is a dedicated MMA forum on hfboards in case you were unaware.

http://hfboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=234

Old
12-08-2010, 01:20 PM
WayneHemsky

Strikeforce had alot of mismatches, but is always fun to see ko's.. Babalu sucked just as much as his name

TUF finale wrestling ftw again and again. rigged judges on pham/garcia. judging is so lame in this sport, needs to be changed, and the refs are terrible too.. If Bonnar didn't whine about the illegal knees to his head I wonder if a point even gets taken off, since it was taken off in between rounds.

Old
12-08-2010, 02:15 PM
noice
The Shield

Nam Phan was robbed like Machida but worse
Josh gonna destroy GayaSsP
Heard the last strikeforce was the best event this year
Anyone know where to watch pre lims of TUF 12 finale?

Old
12-08-2010, 03:05 PM
Oilerdiehard

Oh yeah I forgot to mention the judging in that Nam Phan fight. Not to mention Joe Rogan's ripping of the Nevada Athletic commission on their judges was pretty epic.

By the thank you guys for keeping the discussion both civil and away from comparison fights between promotions. This is the kind of discussion I had really hoped to get going.

Old
12-08-2010, 03:30 PM
JBell84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
The Strikeforce event was pretty impressive. Hendo looked amazing, although it was a short fight. It's too bad he had such back problems when he fought Shields. He couldn't stop a take down in that fight to save his life.

The card on saturday is pretty mediocre. Other than GSP I'm pretty excited to see Charles Oliveira fight again. The dude has been seriously impressive in his two wins in the UFC. He essentially toyed with Escudero in his last fight and then slapped on a heck of a slick submission. The rest of the card is pretty meh, but some potentially exciting fights, although none with any real implications towards title matches.
The thing about the 124 card is it's a bunch of welterweights and lightweights, those fights are always such high energy, fun to watch...

Also, all the undercards have a Canadian fighter, so it could be a big day for the future of Canadian fighting

and great thread ODH, thank you

Old
12-08-2010, 03:38 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBell84 View Post
The thing about the 124 card is it's a bunch of welterweights and lightweights, those fights are always such high energy, fun to watch...

Also, all the undercards have a Canadian fighter, so it could be a big day for the future of Canadian fighting

and great thread ODH, thank you
That's the beauty of MMA. Might not look good on paper but there is a good chance you will see a couple of fights that make you completely forget what the card looked like on paper.

Although the same can be said for some stacked cards.

Old
12-08-2010, 04:35 PM
KerPatrick
Tee Hee You Missed!

I find the ones that don't look as appealing on paper are always the best cards. Haven't been impressed by a stacked card in a long time. UFC 100 maybe?

Old
12-08-2010, 04:42 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerPatrick View Post
I find the ones that don't look as appealing on paper are always the best cards. Haven't been impressed by a stacked card in a long time. UFC 100 maybe?
I'd have to go through them, but ya 100 was one not too many would forget about. Bisping taking that extra shot will never be forgotten.

Old
12-08-2010, 05:12 PM
Vyse64
N64

Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
i'm really liking the card from top to bottom

is the co-main event weak or misplaced, yes but its still going to be a good fight imo, just really no headline power and the fighters with drawing power are coming off losses so its hard to put them higher on the card, although Miller/Oliveira would make a little more sense up there

as for the prelim matches i'm looking forward to
Bocek/Hazelett - huge fan of McLovin and i really like Bocek too but if Hazelett loses thats 3 in a row so i hope it doesn't happen
Riddle/Pierson
Doerksen/Miller
Grant/Almeida

Old
12-08-2010, 05:56 PM
JBell84

Just a heads up for anyone that missed it, but Dana White was just on OTR...

http://watch.tsn.ca/#clip385858

I heard somewhere that GSP was going to be on OTR tomorrow for the OTR in Montreal for UFC 124, but don't quote me on it

Old
12-08-2010, 07:54 PM
KerPatrick
Tee Hee You Missed!

Anyone interested in catching some local MMA action Unified 6 is Dec. 17th at Mirage Banquet Hall. 11 fights on the card so it should make for a good night!

Old
12-08-2010, 09:43 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerPatrick View Post
I donno... UFC 122 (Marquardt vs. Okami) looked awful, and boy was it awful.

Old
12-08-2010, 11:16 PM
KerPatrick
Tee Hee You Missed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
I donno... UFC 122 (Marquardt vs. Okami) looked awful, and boy was it awful.
Well of course there will be some exceptions, but you are right 122 was horrendous

Old
12-08-2010, 11:16 PM
GMofOilers

Thanks ODH, looking forward to GSP knocking the blonde out on sat night. Fitch up next for the rematch.

Old
12-08-2010, 11:31 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMofOilers View Post
Thanks ODH, looking forward to GSP knocking the blonde out on sat night. Fitch up next for the rematch.
Shields has been promised the next shot at the title. Although he sure as heck didn't look like he deserved it after his less than impressive performance against Kampmann. Looked absolutely awful on his feet and isn't going to take GSP down like he could Kampmann.

Honestly, I don't see much appeal with a Fitch rematch, GSP's victory over him was about as lopsided as I've ever seen a 5 round fight that didn't get finished.

If GSP gets through Koscheck and then Shields there isn't much more left in the division for him. Although I suppose at that point someone else might have made a name for themselves as the next contender. Perhaps Condit.

Old
12-09-2010, 12:01 AM
Vyse64
N64

Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
Fitch has Penn anyway

although I would like Fitch to get rematch at some point

Old
12-09-2010, 12:03 AM
PepsiFiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneHemsky View Post
Strikeforce had alot of mismatches, but is always fun to see ko's.. Babalu sucked just as much as his name
Babalu is no joke for the record, the guy holds wins over Shogun, Trevor Prangley and Jeremy Horn, all in one night. Babalu is a great fighter, with one problem, a weak chin. I loved the Strikeforce card, but lets be realistic, these were mismatches at its finest. Since when did finishes become the be all end all of MMA.

As for Dream, I am assuming their next event will be the K1/Dynamite show on New Years Eve, anyone else excited for the K1 finals this weekend? I am still pissed at Bell though, Ill have to watch online now.

Old
12-09-2010, 09:31 PM
Oilerdiehard

Strikeforce announcer Mauro Renallo interviews UFC President Dana White on The Score (I just recently even found out Mauro is on the Score as I do not get it).

White announces UFC 131 will be in Toronto!

http://video.thescore.com/watch/dana...n-1-with-mauro

----

New GSP interview video.

http://mmaweekly.com/ufc-124-video-g...res-art-of-war

I am so excited for this fight.

----

WEC Final fight card December 16th before the official merge with the UFC. A number of fun looking fights on this one (these weight classes are so energy filled):

http://www.wec.tv/index.cfm?fa=Event...tCard&eid=3857

Cerrone vs. Hordecki I am a fan of both of those guys. So I guess I will be happy no matter who wins. Though I would be surprised if Cerrone did not take Hordecki apart to an extent. Dominick Cruz is such an unorthodox fighter to watch and sick stamina on that guy. He never stops moving. Henderson, Pettis, Varner, Jorgensen, Pickett etc... Great card.

Sort of bummed with the merge in a way. Less fights on tv and I think some great fighters will get lost in the shuffle of the sheer number of fighters in the UFC.

Last edited by Oilerdiehard: 12-09-2010 at 09:42 PM.
Old
12-10-2010, 09:50 AM
Smyth94
RIP kristians pelss

Send a message via MSN to Smyth94
i play this thing on sportsnet.ca mma tournament pick em seems decent and interesting on trying to pick who should win
http://mmatournament.sportsnet.ca/UF.../brackets/view

Old
12-10-2010, 10:05 AM
Harrison

My close friend makes his UFC debut in April, just got word this week. He is on his way to China this month for a tournament in January. He is currently the Canadian Muay Thai Champion. We just finished uploading some of his fights if you would like to take a look.

Last edited by Harrison: 12-10-2010 at 10:58 AM.
Old
12-10-2010, 11:06 AM
joestevens29

Not going to lie I am not looking forward to the WEC/UFC merger. Sure I want the WEC to get the credit they deserve, but there is already far too many guys in the UFC.

I think Dana White should've taken a page out of Vince McMahon's book and kept Pride and UFC separate. And then once a year or ever two years had a Pride vs UFC.

Closed Thread