HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#29: Sharks @ Flyers - Wednesday, Dec. 8, 2010 - 7:00 PM (ET)

Closed Thread

Old
12-08-2010, 10:17 PM
Mgkibbles

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by harakiri View Post
I would love for Mez to replace Carle with Pronger.

But something tells me Carle and O'Donnell will be a disaster.
Carle with anyone other than Pronger would be a disaster. Carle is far and away the worst defenseman on the team. The only thing keeping him from really getting roasted is Pronger, gotta keep them together.

Old
12-08-2010, 10:22 PM
Garbage Goal

Yeah, I wouldn't mind seeing Carle leave after this season. As it is though, we need him to round out our blue-line though.

I already touched upon this, but I'm not saying Bob has played badly. He's just looked very lackluster and kind of average for about four or so starts now. Which worries me a bit since we kind of have to pin all our goaltending hopes on him...unless you want Leighton to be our starter again *shudders*.

Old
12-08-2010, 10:24 PM
clockwise

Did all three of the Sharks goals in the 3rd period come off of defensive zone draws? Pretty sure two did.. If I remember correctly the Flyers were dominated in the faceoff circle last time they played SJ.

Old
12-08-2010, 10:25 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Can someone briefly explained just what the **** happened? Obviously, it must have been a **** show.

Old
12-08-2010, 10:29 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusT View Post
rangers fan come in peace after watching the game, why didnt Zherdev shoot in the top 2?
does he usually shoot for you guys in SOs?
He's probably number 4 on the depth chart for shootouts, Briere is nasty at like 68 pct on the shootout and Giroux is by far the most creative dangler on the team. Then you go with a leftie to break up the right handed shots so you get richards then probably Zherdev

Old
12-08-2010, 10:32 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

I'm also tired of seeing the same 3 guys in the shootout. I'd imagine that when you get into enough of these, and you keep using the same people, the goaltenders kind of catch on.

Old
12-08-2010, 10:33 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
Can someone briefly explained just what the **** happened? Obviously, it must have been a **** show.
Refs sucked, PP and PK sucked, Briere is a ruhtard with his stick as it relates to penalties, and both our shooters and goalie didn't show up in the shootout. We also got outworked and outplayed for practically the entire third.

So, they dun ****ed up.

Old
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by harakiri View Post
I would love for Mez to replace Carle with Pronger.

But something tells me Carle and O'Donnell will be a disaster.
It's been shown over again that Carle is with Pronger because he needs to be.

Old
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Flyers go up 4-1.

Sharks make it 4-2. Ref at centre ice calls 2 penalties (guy 6 feet away apparently wasn't doing Bettman's bidding), Sharks score. Briere highsticks someone - 4 minutes. Flyers kill it off, but Sharks score just after it expired.

Go to OT. Sharks commit 2 blatant penalties, including a massive hook on Nodl near the San Jose net. No calls. Richards almost scores right at the end of OT, but the puck didn't quite cross the line before time ran out.

Shootout sucked about as much as it can. Roo even missed the net entirely.

Flyers pissed away a point. With help from the stripes.

Old
12-08-2010, 10:38 PM
chaosof99*

Quote:
Flyers pretty much dominate the first, and then the sharks score with four seconds left off a shot from the slot after a won face-off.

Second period, Flyers dominate more. Giroux hammers in a rebound, Leino scores with a Spin-o-rama sort of play and Zherdev banks one in off Niittymaki.

McCarthy scores a goal with his foot that gets waived off.

Then the 3rd period starts with Hartnell banging in another rebound.

Demers scores a completely fluke goal (IMHO) that deflected off Carle and the Crossbar before going in. However, this opens the floodgate.

Next, the Sharks are on a PP off a questionable call made from Center ice while the guy on right next to the play didn't have any problem with it. Flyers kill the PP but immediately afterwards Powe misses a clear, the puck gets played to the front and Couture scores.

Flyers take another penalty. Sharks win the face off, puck goes directly to the slot and Pavelski hammers it home. Tied at 4.

Sharks take a penalty, scrum in the corner, Briere gets his stick up, 4 minutes...

Flyers kill that off, game goes to OT. In OT, Flyers get screwed by multiple non-calls on obvious penalties. They get screwed again when Timonen and Murray get tangled up. Both called for 2 minutes, 3-on-3.

On it, Richards scores, except 1 millisecond after time expires. Shootout ensues. Bob is not good in the shootout, and Briere and Giroux both failed to score (and looked rather disinterested in trying at all).

******, ****** loss.

Old
12-08-2010, 10:44 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
There's my brief explanation

Old
12-08-2010, 10:44 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
maybe the NHL should be like basketball with the buzzer beaters.

If the puck is clearly past the goalie before 0.0 and heading in, it should count

Old
12-08-2010, 10:50 PM
flyersjamminontheone
In Claude we trust

This is the most disapointed i've been with this team.
This is the low to the high of beating Carolina after the epic comeback last year or a couple of years ago. Absolutely pitiful. the worst thing is i don't see any change any time soon. Brieres line is the only one scoring, the pp is worse than going down a man, carle has been god awfull, carter, well he has been scoring some pretty important empty netters so i'll let him go this time, giroux with terrible turnovers, richie with no help, why is powe in the top 9 when we havescoring issues and z? is JVR for real? why is shelley playing regular shifts. What is wrong? Not on Bob either,because he is doing more than we should ask of him, a rookie goalie.

Old
12-08-2010, 10:51 PM
chaosof99*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post

If the puck is clearly past the goalie before 0.0 and heading in, it should count
I made a similar proposition in the thread on the main board discussing the game. However, I don't think it should be relevant as to whether the puck had passed the goaltender or not. What should matter is when the puck was propelled.

Anyway, I only got two responses before the thread was closed down for the troll-fest it had become.

One was a fellow Flyers fan who simply answered "no.." without reason or expalanation.

The other was a random dude whose logic went along the lines off "no, that's too similar to what the NBA does, and since the NBA sucks, this must suck too". If I'd get a dollar every time I find someone committing a logical fallacy, I'd be a multi-billionaire by now.

Old
12-08-2010, 10:57 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post

I'd be in favor of something like this and I think of it every time there's a shot right at the end of a period, but the NHL couldn't handle it at this point in time. The refs are already painfully human out there, and the ambiguity and gray area with this would just magnify it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosof99 View Post
If I'd get a dollar every time I find someone committing a logical fallacy, I'd be a multi-billionaire by now.
This is awesome.

Old
12-08-2010, 11:03 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

Special teams need a major overhaul. Forwards not getting it done on PK, no one is moving on PP, just standing around hanging out

Old
12-08-2010, 11:05 PM
Larry44
Flyers Tank Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
It's been shown over again that Carle is with Pronger because he needs to be.
Exactly. Pronger needs someone to skate back fast and pick up pucks, then bring them up the ice too. Carle is perfect for the job.

Old
12-08-2010, 11:08 PM
chaosof99*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
This is awesome.
Pro-Tip: Never, ever visit FSTDT.com

Old
12-08-2010, 11:13 PM
Larry44
Flyers Tank Nation

Quote:
Demers scores a completely fluke goal (IMHO) that deflected off Carle and the Crossbar before going in. However, this opens the floodgate.

Next, the Sharks are on a PP off a questionable call made from Center ice while the guy on right next to the play didn't have any problem with it. Flyers kill the PP but immediately afterwards Powe misses a clear, the puck gets played to the front and Couture scores.

Flyers take another penalty. Sharks win the face off, puck goes directly to the slot and Pavelski hammers it home. Tied at 4.
On Demers' goal, Nodl over pursued Thornton, chasing him into the corner where Pronger was waiting. Carle poked the puck out to the wing, but Nodl wasn't there. Then Nodl rushed to get back into position and over played Demers, who beat him back into the zone and scored. JVR made a great attempt, leaving his man to go after him too late. You'd have to ask Lavy, but I put that goal on Nodl's overzealous backcheck. He stays where he's supposed to be, it never happens.

On both Carter's penalty and Briere's first one, Logan Couture proves he's studied Crosby's diving technique. Carter did what happened 1,000 times in the games and worse, and you are right, the ref looking at it thought it was OK, the moron at centre wanted to be part of the outcome.

It's not fair to blame Powe for not clearing, it was Richards' fault really. He had a chance, on the left boards, to clear the zone. He tried to get it out and make a play out of it, instead of just hammering down and getting it out. Couture kept it in and then followed up.

On Pavelski's goal, it's Kimmo's fault alone. As LD, he's got outside coverage, he went to then net instead.

Briere's first penalty was a nice stick lift. Couture spun and lost his balance. Briere's double minor is inexcusable.

So, to recap, a several Flyers made really bad decisions and it cost them a game they should win, up 4-1 with 13 min. left.

Old
12-08-2010, 11:17 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Exactly. Pronger needs someone to skate back fast and pick up pucks, then bring them up the ice too. Carle is perfect for the job.
Hahahaha. Whether this is the best sarcasm on the boards in a while, or a legitimate defense of Carle, it's hilaaaaarious.

Old
12-08-2010, 11:20 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
More like Pronger hides Carle deficiencies.

Old
12-09-2010, 12:12 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

screw blaming the refs for every loss. the refs suck. we get it. This team with all its verteran leadership should not be coughing up 3 goal leads with 14 minutes left in the game. thats at least 3 straight games where they had a poor 3rd period. The Devils and Isles arent very good and they got away with it. tonight against a good hockey team they didnt get away with it. guys need to step it up and do the little things needed to close games out. good teams do that. right now we arent a good team. we have been playing crap for a couple of weeks now.
Maybe if the special teams didnt blow large amount of elephant **** we wouldnt have to whine about the refs every night.

Old
12-09-2010, 12:14 AM
flyersguy33*

Quote:
I made a similar proposition in the thread on the main board discussing the game. However, I don't think it should be relevant as to whether the puck had passed the goaltender or not. What should matter is when the puck was propelled.

Anyway, I only got two responses before the thread was closed down for the troll-fest it had become.

One was a fellow Flyers fan who simply answered "no.." without reason or expalanation.

The other was a random dude whose logic went along the lines off "no, that's too similar to what the NBA does, and since the NBA sucks, this must suck too". If I'd get a dollar every time I find someone committing a logical fallacy, I'd be a multi-billionaire by now.
Twas me, I just didnt feel like giving one at the time, but I guess i will now.

It just doesnt make sense. Why keep the play going until after the whistle. Sure it works in football, but it just isnt the same. I don't know. Its kind of hard to explain. It just doesnt really work at all with the sport.

Old
12-09-2010, 12:15 AM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
screw blaming the refs for every loss. the refs suck. we get it. This team with all its verteran leadership should not be coughing up 3 goal leads with 14 minutes left in the game. thats at least 3 straight games where they had a poor 3rd period. The Devils and Isles arent very good and they got away with it. tonight against a good hockey team they didnt get away with it. guys need to step it up and do the little things needed to close games out. good teams do that. right now we arent a good team. we have been playing crap for a couple of weeks now.
Maybe if the special teams didnt blow large amount of elephant **** we wouldnt have to whine about the refs every night.
That is true. This team should never give up a 1 goal lead in the 3rd, let alone a huge lead.

Bad call? Kill the ****ing penalty. No call? Score even strength.

Old
12-09-2010, 01:00 AM
vera1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
He's probably number 4 on the depth chart for shootouts, Briere is nasty at like 68 pct on the shootout and Giroux is by far the most creative dangler on the team. Then you go with a leftie to break up the right handed shots so you get richards then probably Zherdev
Yeah, right

Zherdev is by far their best shooter and dangler, but they just refuse to recognize this.

Zherdev is also one of their best offensive players, but they refuse to recognize this either.

Closed Thread