HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Knicks Part 3 (All NBA discussion)

Closed Thread

Old
12-08-2010, 10:37 PM
nyranger61494
YNWA

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Remember, Felton was a top 5 pick. It appears he's finally playing on the level of his draft contemporaries CP3 and DWill. And, he seems like he's meant to play in NY. He's got a fearlessness about him.

As for TD, he's very good on-the-ball defender, and he can hit from outside. But, he's not a good ball distributor.

As for Melo, getting him would push Gallo to the 4, and either move Chandler to the 2, or the 1st option off the bench.
Felton has certainly earned the praise. In my opinion it's 1. Williams 2. Paul 3. Felton for now. Felton has to play this way for an extended period, but it certainly has been good. He is a NY point guard. Plain and simple.

Old
12-08-2010, 11:28 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

I am amazed at the turnaround Felton has had. He's even starting to run the PnR fairly well. I liked the signing, then was down on his 2 man game with Stoudemire, and am now coming full circle.

A couple of random observations - some related to comments on the previous page, others not:

1) There is almost no permutation in which both Chandler and Melo are on this team beyond this year. Salary cap won't allow it.

2) It's not a huge deal anyway, because if they get Melo and keep Gallo along with Amar'e (obviously), that leaves precious few minutes for Chandler, even before you factor in the development of Williams and Randolph's possible development.

3) Personally I like Wil, and might actually be inclined to forego Melo, give Wil his raise (which would still be way below a max contract), and sign Marc Gasol.

4) IMO, there is NO way the Knicks are trading Fields any time soon. You don't get that kind of production for that price hardly ever. Furthermore, he's exactly the kind of player that you want on the floor to complement the other stars. In fact, his presence is MORE needed if you have Melo and Amar'e on the floor at the same time.

5) Felton keeps this up and he may earn himself a nice extension in 2 years, rather than throwing a max offer at CP3 or Deron Williams. I NEVER thought I'd say that.

6) I don't think we've seen the last of Mozgov - if you saw him in preseason and in the early games, you know he simply has too much talent. He clearly got into a funk, it got in his head and now he's in one of those "nothing goes right" stages that are 50% mental. Besides, it frequently takes Europeans an extra year or two to adjust.

It's hard not to be excited - I don't expect them to win the whole thing, but I'm started to believe they're headed in the right direction. I keep having to tell myself "let's see what they look like when they've played some of the top teams".

Old
12-09-2010, 12:55 AM
BwayBshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf View Post
they are looking like a 50 win team!
boy the Garden is a lot louder during Knicks games than for our boys in Blue..
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRTtoZ View Post
They are the same fans, thats what happens when you win consistently.
Truth.

Remember, that first season after the lockout (2005-06), the fans were pretty good & energetic when the team was winning...

...then March began...

...then the Ozolinsh trade happened...

...then we know how the rest of the story turned out.

Old
12-09-2010, 05:43 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
I am amazed at the turnaround Felton has had. He's even starting to run the PnR fairly well. I liked the signing, then was down on his 2 man game with Stoudemire, and am now coming full circle.

A couple of random observations - some related to comments on the previous page, others not:

1) There is almost no permutation in which both Chandler and Melo are on this team beyond this year. Salary cap won't allow it.

2) It's not a huge deal anyway, because if they get Melo and keep Gallo along with Amar'e (obviously), that leaves precious few minutes for Chandler, even before you factor in the development of Williams and Randolph's possible development.

3) Personally I like Wil, and might actually be inclined to forego Melo, give Wil his raise (which would still be way below a max contract), and sign Marc Gasol.

4) IMO, there is NO way the Knicks are trading Fields any time soon. You don't get that kind of production for that price hardly ever. Furthermore, he's exactly the kind of player that you want on the floor to complement the other stars. In fact, his presence is MORE needed if you have Melo and Amar'e on the floor at the same time.

5) Felton keeps this up and he may earn himself a nice extension in 2 years, rather than throwing a max offer at CP3 or Deron Williams. I NEVER thought I'd say that.

6) I don't think we've seen the last of Mozgov - if you saw him in preseason and in the early games, you know he simply has too much talent. He clearly got into a funk, it got in his head and now he's in one of those "nothing goes right" stages that are 50% mental. Besides, it frequently takes Europeans an extra year or two to adjust.

It's hard not to be excited - I don't expect them to win the whole thing, but I'm started to believe they're headed in the right direction. I keep having to tell myself "let's see what they look like when they've played some of the top teams".
For me, the Knicks have finally become enjoyable to watch again. You'd have to go to back to the last days of the Houston-Sprewell-Camby-LJ teams for a team that was this much fun to watch. I still only expect them to be a 45 win team, so I'm not going to get carried away with expectations. But, after the awful decade the Knicks have been through, this is a pleasure.

I also somewhat agree with you about both Melo and Felton. I think Melo is becoming a foregone conclusion, though. I've seen the speculation about signing Marc Gasol, and, perhaps, trading for OJ Mayo, who seems to have fallen out of favor in Memphis. And, Felton just seems to feel like he was born to play in NY and in this system. Let's see how the rest of this season and ext plays out. But, he's playing like an All-Star. Best PG play from a Knick since Derek Harper.

Old
12-09-2010, 08:00 AM
BroadwayBlues
Angel Grove

I've heard people say no doubt Fields will be in the trade. Now why in the world would Donnie Walsh do that when HE and Melo hold the cards?
Simply put, Denver has only two options: 1. Finish the year with Melo and get nothing for him as he leaves for FA. or Trade him to the Knicks.
The Knicks and Carmelo have the leverage. So there is absolutely no reason to include Fields. Who I'm guessing Walsh doesn't want to trade after what he's seen. The Knicks should get Carmelo at THEIR price.

My trade:

Curry's expiring contract
Chandler (Knicks likely going to lose him anyway as a FA)
Douglas
A pick

I MIGHT even let Denver choose 1 of Gallo/Chandler/Fields.

Old
12-09-2010, 08:02 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Don't see why you really need both, anyway.

Quote:
If you get Melo, I think it's important that you hold onto Gallo because he thrives in that role with Melo on the team.

Quote:
Much rather this scenario. That would be a much easier team to root for.

Quote:
He really looks like a steal to me. Very good role player. Guys like him and Turiaf help put teams over the top coming off the bench.

Quote:
Eh...he really doesn't seem like a very bright player, unfortunately.

Quote:
I'm really not confident that they'll be able to beat top teams - yet. In the future, with what looks to be coming, that'll probably change.

Quote:
I also somewhat agree with you about both Melo and Felton. I think Melo is becoming a foregone conclusion, though. I've seen the speculation about signing Marc Gasol, and, perhaps, trading for OJ Mayo, who seems to have fallen out of favor in Memphis.
I agree, it looks more and more like Anthony to the Knicks is going to happen. If he refuses to sign an extension with whoever else trades for him, what choice do the Nuggets really have?

Quote:
And, Felton just seems to feel like he was born to play in NY and in this system. Let's see how the rest of this season and ext plays out. But, he's playing like an All-Star. Best PG play from a Knick since Derek Harper.
My thoughts exactly and I loved Derek Harper, as short as his stay was. Tenacious defender, hard-nosed player, knew when to get more involved offensively. See a lot of that in Felton.

Old
12-09-2010, 04:25 PM
ecemleafs

is there an hfboard style nba forum?

Old
12-09-2010, 04:26 PM
ecemleafs

i was also reading some knicks forums today, and what is the deal with all the love for mozgov? seemingly every thread about him was how he was gonna be sick when he gets it all together....hes a 24 year old C who has terrible hands.

Old
12-09-2010, 04:28 PM
ecemleafs

this summer:

if we sign Melo, do we than trade for a big time C, a big time PG, or just add depth to the roster?

Old
12-09-2010, 04:38 PM
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
i was also reading some knicks forums today, and what is the deal with all the love for mozgov? seemingly every thread about him was how he was gonna be sick when he gets it all together....hes a 24 year old C who has terrible hands.
He does have hands, just a real lack of confidence right now, he is a work in project at the time.

Old
12-09-2010, 04:40 PM
frankthefrowner

Why not just wait for free agency and sign melo and keep felton.

Old
12-09-2010, 04:42 PM
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823

Quote:
this summer:

if we sign Melo, do we than trade for a big time C, a big time PG, or just add depth to the roster?
If we have melo and amare, along with felton, we do not have enough money to add a big time Center or PG. Honestly if Felton has an entire good season, I would give him an extension, get a decent backup PG. Keep Gallo or Chandler. Get a decent big at an affordable price, or have Amare play center at times, with Turiaf/Mozgov in the rotation. This will leave Gallo/Randolph to play the 4, with Melo at the 3. Fields and Chandler can play the 2 or 3.

Old
12-09-2010, 05:17 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan1823 View Post
He does have hands, just a real lack of confidence right now, he is a work in project at the time.
Yup. That's what has been so startling about his drops recently - one of the things that most impressed me about him early on was just how good his hands were. Clearly it's mostly mental.

I have no doubt about his athleticism, his hands or his shot. I honestly believe that at some point we'll see the player I saw at the European Championships and in training camp. Before he got into his recent funk he was even getting better at the cheap fouls that European big men always need to learn to avoid.

What I worry about most is a) his confidence and b) his rebounding.

Old
12-10-2010, 01:11 PM
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823

Big game tonight. We need this W, before going into a really tough stretch.

Old
12-10-2010, 02:58 PM
RegalRangers

Quote:
is there an hfboard style nba forum?
http://forums.realgm.com/boards/view...8c12841d321519

But it's not quite to the level of hfboards in terms of the average poster IMO. There are some posters who are extremely knowledgable and insightful but there seems to be three inarticulate idiots for each of them.

Plus all the animated gifs make my computer slow to a crawl.

EDIT: LOL! Just found this over at realgm: http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/trd/2103093445.html

Old
12-10-2010, 08:28 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

and the streak keeps going!

Old
12-10-2010, 08:30 PM
17futurecap

That Amare block was nuts.

Old
12-10-2010, 08:34 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

I really like this team. Amar'e's just a stud, and Felton gives the Knicks an actual leader at PG, while Gallo, Chandler and Fields each fill in the rest of lineup nicely. Need a defensive center and a backup PG.

Old
12-10-2010, 08:40 PM
rangers4ever2007

Quote:
I really like this team. Amar'e's just a stud, and Felton gives the Knicks an actual leader at PG, while Gallo, Chandler and Fields each fill in the rest of lineup nicely. Need a defensive center and a backup PG.
defensive center = turiaf
backup PG = douglas

Old
12-10-2010, 08:40 PM
ecemleafs

triple double for amare! 36 points, 10 boards, 11 turnovers

Old
12-10-2010, 08:46 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers4ever2007 View Post
defensive center = turiaf
backup PG = douglas

Douglas is not really a true PG. He doesn't see the floor well. He's a very good on-the-ball defender, but the offense grinds to a halt when he's running the show. Turiaf is nice, but, the Knicks could use more length. They get a lot of blocks, but, go back to the game against the T-Pups. Millicic was killing them inside. A big that can start, grab rebounds and defend the paint, allowing Amar'e to play the 4 and not have to defend bigger players would make the the Knicks stronger. Plus, Chandler could move back to the 2nd unit, so that the dropoff when the starting unit isn't so dramatic.

Old
12-10-2010, 09:03 PM
nyranger61494
YNWA

Quote:
Douglas is not really a true PG. He doesn't see the floor well. He's a very good on-the-ball defender, but the offense grinds to a halt when he's running the show. Turiaf is nice, but, the Knicks could use more length. They get a lot of blocks, but, go back to the game against the T-Pups. Millicic was killing them inside. A big that can start, grab rebounds and defend the paint, allowing Amar'e to play the 4 and not have to defend bigger players would make the the Knicks stronger. Plus, Chandler could move back to the 2nd unit, so that the dropoff when the starting unit isn't so dramatic.
I have agreed with you on Douglas, but disagree on Turiaf. He is good enough as the defensive center. Would ideally like someone bigger, but he will do. If you go back, I think you will see that most, if not all, of those points came against Amar'e, who despite being a phenomenal shot blocker is average defensively.

Old
12-10-2010, 09:04 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
and the streak keeps going!
ummm the Knicks are good? I don't follow basketball alot...........thunbs up to the Knicks

Old
12-10-2010, 09:55 PM
BroadwayBlues
Angel Grove

Quote:
All he does is dribble dribble dribble dribble dribble..........dribble some and dribble some more.......then chuck up an awful shot.

They need a better backup PG. Felton is going to get worn out at this rate.

Old
12-10-2010, 11:20 PM
nyranger61494
YNWA

The Knicks and Rangers lead the NBA and NHL in road wins.

Closed Thread