HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#29: Sharks @ Flyers - Wednesday, Dec. 8, 2010 - 7:00 PM (ET)

Closed Thread

Old
12-09-2010, 10:16 AM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I think he's been fine, and ultimately we need him playing with one of the scoring lines. However, he needs to start playing with his teammates better... working the puck around, and creating chances off of passing rather than just trying to carry the puck in, or taking advantage of broken plays.

I can agree with that, but I think he will be better and hasn't been anywhere near as bad as many are making him out to be. How many Russians outside of Danny Markov and Zhamnov have come in here and played Flyers hockey successfully? Archie found linemates that he worked well with, chemistry just hasn't been there yet for Nik. I'm confident it will come.

Old
12-09-2010, 10:19 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
I can agree with that, but I think he will be better and hasn't been anywhere near as bad as many are making him out to be. How many Russians outside of Danny Markov and Zhamnov have come in here and played Flyers hockey successfully? Archie found linemates that he worked well with, chemistry just hasn't been there yet for Nik. I'm confident it will come.
I think he needs to be playing with Richards or Briere, personally. Sticking him out there with Carter and Giroux is just too many cooks in the kitchen.

Old
12-09-2010, 10:20 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
what hasnt he done to earn it? i am not there in practice. Based on the games other players struggle and make boneheaded plays. They rarely get benched or called out. Zherdev does. He is on the shortest leash possible. Seems to be a diff set of rules for him imolHe will have a hard time finding a groove if they continue to move him around.
All those players have higher production rates than Zherdev. The only guy that is debatable is Powe, who Zherdev has been switching back and forth with.

Old
12-09-2010, 10:31 AM
MiD

Quote:
what hasnt he done to earn it? i am not there in practice. Based on the games other players struggle and make boneheaded plays. They rarely get benched or called out. Zherdev does. He is on the shortest leash possible. Seems to be a diff set of rules for him imolHe will have a hard time finding a groove if they continue to move him around.
words of wisdom... his passes to Carter against Bruins were top notch, but we all know what happens when JC have too much open net

Old
12-09-2010, 10:43 AM
bennysflyers16

1. Trade Carle for another D man on expiring contract.
2. Play Zherdev with Carter and Roo Full Time or with Richie and JVR
3. Sit Powe tonight for CarBomb, Rosehill and Orr will be running around and Powe was horrid vs San Jose. The fact that he is still seeing any ice time with Carter and Roo is laughable. He is a good 4th liner in the same boat as Betts, he should see ZERO time with players as good as Roo and Carter !

Old
12-09-2010, 10:46 AM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
1. Trade Carle for another D man on expiring contract.
2. Play Zherdev with Carter and Roo Full Time or with Richie and JVR
3. Sit Powe tonight for CarBomb, Rosehill and Orr will be running around and Powe was horrid vs San Jose. The fact that he is still seeing any ice time with Carter and Roo is laughable. He is a good 4th liner in the same boat as Betts, he should see ZERO time with players as good as Roo and Carter !
accept for the odd shift only.

Old
12-09-2010, 10:48 AM
bennysflyers16

Quote:
accept for the odd shift only.
Exactly, Fill in 1-2 times per game when needed, but that's it !

Old
12-09-2010, 11:13 AM
Jester

Quote:
Exactly, Fill in 1-2 times per game when needed, but that's it !
Amongst players that have played 10 games or more.

At even strength:

Powe is 8th among forwards in GFON/60.

Powe is 1st among forwards in primary assists per 60 minutes.

Powe is 10th among forwards in points per 60 minutes.

Powe is 2nd on the team in QUALCOMP to Mike Richards.

Powe is fine as a 3rd line banger, but obviously better in a 4th line role. However, to suggest he hasn't been earning his ice time is a bit silly. His production is right in line with a 3rd line wing for this club.

Old
12-09-2010, 11:15 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Zherdev played a better team game yesterday, was cyclying and passing. Hopefully he keeps it up.

Powe had an awful game on the PK, I wouldn't be opposed to him sitting 1 game for Carcillo since its the leafs. Plus Powe took that stinger off his foot and could probably use a day off. I am a big Powe guy, but he needs to play smarter.

Old
12-09-2010, 11:20 AM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Zherdev played a better team game yesterday, was cyclying and passing. Hopefully he keeps it up.

Powe had an awful game on the PK, I wouldn't be opposed to him sitting 1 game for Carcillo since its the leafs. Plus Powe took that stinger off his foot and could probably use a day off. I am a big Powe guy, but he needs to play smarter.
Injury aside, I think the fact that Powe has been giving 100% for a long time has allowed him to have the odd off game now and again without getting benched. Ya know?

Old
12-09-2010, 11:24 AM
MsWoof

Zherdev's problem outside of his defensive play is his attempt to skate through 2 or 3 players. It's something that he might have gotten away in the KHL because the ice surface is bigger but it doesn't work here. That and his defensive play is why he's on the shortest leash.

Old
12-09-2010, 11:26 AM
HoverCarle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
Injury aside, I think the fact that Powe has been giving 100% for a long time has allowed him to have the odd off game now and again without getting benched. Ya know?
Oh I know, I just like having Carcillo vs the Leafs. One of the only teams he is useful against

He took that stinger pretty early in the game, maybe thats why he wasn't playing well later in the game.

Old
12-09-2010, 11:29 AM
bennysflyers16

Quote:
God bless him for trying hard, that is what 4th lines are for. It is Insane for him to get minutes on scoring lines while Z plays on the 4th. Our 4th line is AWFUL. It has one very good 4th line fwd, 1 hot dog who should be no where near a plugger role, and one waste of Oxygen. If Powe joins Betts on the 4th, at least we have 2/3 rds of a great 4th line. Shelley is what he is ! I am not trying to diminsh Powe's role, but he is by far best suited in the same role as Betts !

Old
12-09-2010, 11:32 AM
Jester

Quote:
God bless him for trying hard, that is what 4th lines are for. It is Insane for him to get minutes on scoring lines while Z plays on the 4th. Our 4th line is AWFUL. It has one very good 4th line fwd, 1 hot dog who should be no where near a plugger role, and one waste of Oxygen. If Powe joins Betts on the 4th, at least we have 2/3 rds of a great 4th line. Shelley is what he is ! I am not trying to diminsh Powe's role, but he is by far best suited in the same role as Betts !
The problem, however, is that Z hasn't really been earning those minutes. It's pretty clear that Lavi wants him to be earning those minutes, thus the back and forth between Z and Powe, but Z needs to deliver/play better to earn 3rd line minutes on this team. Of course, I also don't think Z makes sense playing with Carter as his center, but that's another matter.

Old
12-09-2010, 11:35 AM
Flyskippy

Quote:
The problem, however, is that Z hasn't really been earning those minutes. It's pretty clear that Lavi wants him to be earning those minutes, thus the back and forth between Z and Powe, but Z needs to deliver/play better to earn 3rd line minutes on this team. Of course, I also don't think Z makes sense playing with Carter as his center, but that's another matter.
I think I am ready for Z to be traded.

Old
12-09-2010, 11:35 AM
HoverCarle*

The problem with Z not being a good fit for Carter is the risk of Nodl not being serviceable without Richards, and the HBL line still doing well.

Old
12-09-2010, 11:36 AM
bennysflyers16

Quote:
Very true, I just find our 4th line so frustrating with Zherdev and Shelley at the same time. If Zherdev is not going to play in the top 9, then he needs to sit for Car Bomb to play on the 4th line. Carbomb >>>>>>>>>>> Zherdev in a 4th line role !
In a perfect world, I would have Z with Richie and Nodl , JVR with Roo/Carts, and Betts with Powe and switch in Superstar and Carbomb when oppositon has no heavy ???

Old
12-09-2010, 11:41 AM
jb**

Quote:
Amongst players that have played 10 games or more.

At even strength:

Powe is 8th among forwards in GFON/60.

Powe is 1st among forwards in primary assists per 60 minutes.

Powe is 10th among forwards in points per 60 minutes.

Powe is 2nd on the team in QUALCOMP to Mike Richards.

Powe is fine as a 3rd line banger, but obviously better in a 4th line role. However, to suggest he hasn't been earning his ice time is a bit silly. His production is right in line with a 3rd line wing for this club.
powe and his stellar 7 assist makes him 1st. a meaningless stat there.

Old
12-09-2010, 11:43 AM
Valhoun*

Quote:
Very true, I just find our 4th line so frustrating with Zherdev and Shelley at the same time. If Zherdev is not going to play in the top 9, then he needs to sit for Car Bomb to play on the 4th line. Carbomb >>>>>>>>>>> Zherdev in a 4th line role !
In a perfect world, I would have Z with Richie and Nodl , JVR with Roo/Carts, and Betts with Powe and switch in Superstar and Carbomb when oppositon has no heavy ???
Jody Shelley has fought 6 times.

His record is 1 win, 3 losses, 2 draws.

Unless he's actually going to excel at the ONE thing he's supposed to be good at, he can eat a ****ing dick and sit every game for Carcillo.

If a forward gets injured or banged up in a game, Carcillo can move up the depth chart without looking silly. Shelley cannot.

Old
12-09-2010, 11:43 AM
Jester

Quote:
powe and his stellar 7 assist makes him 1st. a meaningless stat there.
You think primary assists are a "meaningless" stat?

Peter Forsberg would like to have a conversation with you.

Old
12-09-2010, 11:44 AM
Jester

Quote:
Jody Shelley has fought 6 times.

His record is 1 win, 3 losses, 2 draws.

Unless he's actually going to excel at the ONE thing he's supposed to be good at, he can eat a ****ing dick and sit every game for Carcillo.

If a forward gets injured or banged up in a game, Carcillo can move up the depth chart without looking silly. Shelley cannot.
I'm really curious when/if Lavi will make the executive "for the good of the team" decision on benching Shelly and putting together our best lineup.

Old
12-09-2010, 11:51 AM
jb**

Quote:
Other guys have a long leash, he doesnt. 1 mistake and he is done. others can make 10. How is he going to earn them when his forte is scoirng and playing on the 4th line? or the occasional shift with skill guys when they have established no chemistry? I have said it befor, i dont think the coach knows what to do with him or how to use him.

Old
12-09-2010, 11:53 AM
Valhoun*

Quote:
I'm really curious when/if Lavi will make the executive "for the good of the team" decision on benching Shelly and putting together our best lineup.
Obviously down the stretch and into the playoffs (assuming forward health) but it's pretty clear that Shelley has not done what he's done in the past. He's old and he's signed for a couple more seasons though!

Old
12-09-2010, 11:53 AM
bennysflyers16

Quote:
In all honesty, I do not beleive it is coming. He is a full time regular. I def do not agree with it, but I have come to accept it. This is why any line combos I come up with include him. After he did not destroy Thornton should of been a huge wake up call to LAvy. Thornton can take a reg 4th line shift and he is not a true Heavy imo. Shelley needs to throttle guys like him, because if you can not lay a one sided beating on other fighters that are quite better than you at playing hockey, what the **** is the point ???

Old
12-09-2010, 11:55 AM
jb**

Quote:
You think primary assists are a "meaningless" stat?

Peter Forsberg would like to have a conversation with you.
of course not, his severn and the fact you said he is first on the team. him being first is meaningless in that catogory

Closed Thread