HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Alex Frolov to be "showcased"

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-09-2010, 10:03 AM
  #26
Pizza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 9,918
vCash: 500
Thanks RangerBoy.

Frolov has achieved knuckle head status imo. I'd love to see him jettisoned asap.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 10:38 AM
  #27
Melrose_Jr.
Registered User
 
Melrose_Jr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Providence, RI
Country: United States
Posts: 10,692
vCash: 500
Is Gagne on the block?

I don't think anyone is interested in Frolov. His only value to this team is figuring out a way to contribute offensively. It's not as if it can't be done from the bottom half of the lineup, so shut up and get on it already.

I will say, Frolov could use a little help. The PP strategy is an abomination that's sucking the offensive life out of more than just Frolov's game. Like Gaborik, he's also not on a line with the most dynamic of playmakers, or consistently on a line with anyone for that matter. Once again, it seems like a guy who doesn't thrive in the Tortorella atmosphere that simply gets pushed further and further out of the picture. If the idea is to build a team with ONLY players who subscribe to Torts hockey, they're never going to get where they're going IMO.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 10:58 AM
  #28
Escudero
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NY
Country: Chile
Posts: 94
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Escudero
While I can see Frolov problems and am not exactly sure what they are, I'd like to give everyone a feel good moment. Please refer to Ilya Kovalchuk's similar 5g 6a in 26 games. This is to say nothing about Frolov's abilities, just to show that even a guy like Kovy can have problems with a system.

Escudero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 11:07 AM
  #29
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul
 
NYR Sting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Is Gagne on the block?

I don't think anyone is interested in Frolov. His only value to this team is figuring out a way to contribute offensively. It's not as if it can't be done from the bottom half of the lineup, so shut up and get on it already.

I will say, Frolov could use a little help. The PP strategy is an abomination that's sucking the offensive life out of more than just Frolov's game. Like Gaborik, he's also not on a line with the most dynamic of playmakers, or consistently on a line with anyone for that matter. Once again, it seems like a guy who doesn't thrive in the Tortorella atmosphere that simply gets pushed further and further out of the picture. If the idea is to build a team with ONLY players who subscribe to Torts hockey, they're never going to get where they're going IMO.
Great post. Couldn't agree more on all the points. Why would TB trade Gagne for Frolov, even with Gagne's struggles this season? That's such a low-reward scenario for them. They're better off keeping Gagne and hoping he can play as many games as possible and pot some goals for them.

If the Rangers want to make Frolov effective, they have no choice but to play him with what few skill players they have. It's not a surprise that Tortorella drives players that don't fit his "style" away. If he was more of an Xs and Os coach, he would be able to make use of them (it's not as if Frolov is a complete malcontent, utterly useless, or some combination of the two). Tortorella is no Guy Boucher, let's put it that way.

As for the PP, other than the obviously successful "give the puck to Jagr" strategy, when was the last time the Rangers had a great PP that looked like a great PP should? Long, LONG time ago.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 11:42 AM
  #30
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time
 
I Am Chariot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 14,493
vCash: 500
Love Gagne..... would love him as a Ranger. He is a wonderful clutch player on top of being a pure goal scorer.... Mmm mm mm


Do have concerns over his durability. Any Fantasy player can tell ya he's a frustrating guy to carry on your roster... but usually worth it.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 11:43 AM
  #31
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time
 
I Am Chariot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 14,493
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Great post. Couldn't agree more on all the points. Why would TB trade Gagne for Frolov
Cap space....

Is it possible TB make a play to bring Brad Richards back to the Sunshine state this July 1st?

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 11:51 AM
  #32
94now
Registered User
 
94now's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Snow Belt, USA
Country: United Nations
Posts: 6,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
slo-lov is pretty much a goner. hes exactly the same player for us he was for la except he seems even slower now and less capable of finishing what chances he has.

hes not clicking with gaby at all and thats why he was brought here.

i expect his role to continue to diminish once prospal and capt lunesta return.
I do not think Frolov is going anywhere. He will stay till the season end. I don't think any GM will repeat Kotalik trade. Full me once...

No one is clicking with Gabi. I doesn't matter the interview, Frolov didn't produce on 1st line. I'd try to move Dubi from the wing to center Gabi with Fro. Keeping Fro off top 6 would have made sense should better or equal player is chosen. We've got none no matter how disappointing Frolov was.
BTW, Russians seem to be immune to ice time punishment. They just cry. Not the result you want as a coach. That should puzzle Torts a lot.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 12:01 PM
  #33
nyranger61494
YNWA
 
nyranger61494's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,889
vCash: 500
The cap space is certainly something that may interest Tampa, although, after Gagne's playoff performance last Spring and past playoff experience, he would be a player Yzerman would probably want to keep. I think Gilroy is the most likely Ranger to be traded before the deadline. Young defenseman who does not seem to have a future here to a team out of the race and looking for young defensemen would probably want to give him a 15-20 game tryout.

nyranger61494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 12:36 PM
  #34
The Perfect Paradox
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,496
vCash: 50
Showcasing what?

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 12:47 PM
  #35
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!
 
Stugots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 6,376
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Henrik 30 View Post
Showcasing what?
His intensely good wrap-around skills.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 03:59 PM
  #36
MaximusT
Registered User
 
MaximusT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 975
vCash: 500
honestly the guy just needs to shave, get rid of the grey, and hope to start playing like his old self.
If anyone watches his highlights from his 30 goal seasons he looks like a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT player, i dont get wtf happened.
shots of him streaking in 1 on 1 with the goal, sniping shots on PP, ill plays in front of the net. WHERE IS HE NOW!?!?!come back to us god dammit

MaximusT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 04:05 PM
  #37
TheRedressor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Country: United Nations
Posts: 3,694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Henrik 30 View Post
Showcasing what?
I spit out my coffee when I read this thread.


What are we showcasing? The ability to skate almost as slow as PA Parentau, have no control of the puck, shoot wide from the slot and fall down every time the opposition comes near?

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 04:10 PM
  #38
Loffen
Wen Kroy
 
Loffen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Soft euro
Posts: 17,107
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusT View Post
If anyone watches his highlights from his 30 goal seasons he looks like a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT player, i dont get wtf happened.
shots of him streaking in 1 on 1 with the goal, sniping shots on PP, ill plays in front of the net. WHERE IS HE NOW!?!?!come back to us god dammit
Yeah it's pretty strange. And it doesn't look like we will see the "old Frolov" anytime soon, unless he gets it and changes his game.

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 04:11 PM
  #39
hpNYR
HF Forecaster
 
hpNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Burbank, CA
Country: Armenia
Posts: 7,094
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusT View Post
honestly the guy just needs to shave, get rid of the grey, and hope to start playing like his old self.
If anyone watches his highlights from his 30 goal seasons he looks like a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT player, i dont get wtf happened.
shots of him streaking in 1 on 1 with the goal, sniping shots on PP, ill plays in front of the net. WHERE IS HE NOW!?!?!come back to us god dammit
He looked like his old self in preseason. What happened...I don't know. I guess it's the Ranger thing...Too many have come here and underachieved.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 04:29 PM
  #40
23isforDeBlois
you cant OD on it
 
23isforDeBlois's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 174
vCash: 500
Would love to see deal but unless Tampa is looking for some salary relief i cant see it. Best case scenario is for frolov to find some offense and contribute here. Maybe try the same line in pre season with step and gabs if the Rangers want to "showcase" him.
maybe we all do a little goalscore dance for him with the chant oscoro goalo frolo....

23isforDeBlois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 04:48 PM
  #41
chip chipperson*
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,033
vCash: 500
frolov will be gone to make room for prospal.

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 05:00 PM
  #42
nrf83
Registered User
 
nrf83's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: golf course
Country: United States
Posts: 783
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by devito1192 View Post
frolov will be gone to make room for prospal.
If you think Prospal is going to help us this year I'm afraid you're in for a disappointment. Vinnie had a very serious knee injury and the rehab is a *****. I had a similar knee operation in Dec 09 and it took me until June to get back to about 90%. Granted I'm not as young as Vinnie and didn't have the care and facilities he has, but make no mistake this is a very debilitating operation and I wouldn't be surprised to see him in March at the earliest.

nrf83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 10:54 AM
  #43
chip chipperson*
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,033
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrf83 View Post
If you think Prospal is going to help us this year I'm afraid you're in for a disappointment. Vinnie had a very serious knee injury and the rehab is a *****. I had a similar knee operation in Dec 09 and it took me until June to get back to about 90%. Granted I'm not as young as Vinnie and didn't have the care and facilities he has, but make no mistake this is a very debilitating operation and I wouldn't be surprised to see him in March at the earliest.
im takin prospal over frolov. and just because it took you 7 months to fully recover, doesn't mean an nhl calibur player isn't ready to go.

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 11:01 AM
  #44
Pizza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 9,918
vCash: 500
When I was reading the article the image I had in my mind was the little bubble over Tort's head as he was listening to Frolov and sizing him up for a Whale jersey.

"Yeah buddy, your gonna look good in blue and green."

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 11:21 AM
  #45
satrabyk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,865
vCash: 500
I would do Alex Frolov for Marco Sturm. OR even try and make a deal with Slumping Leafs or Sens, who could use just about anything right now. I just cant really think of who they would get in return from either team, maybe Ottawa gives us Winchester or Regin, and Toronto hmmmm, maybe Mitchell or Bozak.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 11:27 AM
  #46
satrabyk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
His intensely good wrap-around skills.
Ya really, in all honesty he has to start working harder out there, taking lessons from Cally. Its not the case as is with Drury that we know he has limited else to give, with Frolov it seems he ahs potential but just doesent screw his head on the right way to come and play the way he needs too. Which is hard on the puck, grind in the corners and create chances for linemates and inevitabely himself.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 11:28 AM
  #47
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SoFLA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,314
vCash: 500
The Canuck's logo is way more fitting for the Connecticut Whale.

So is Frolov.

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 11:30 AM
  #48
Vitto79
Registered User
 
Vitto79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by satrabyk View Post
I would do Alex Frolov for Marco Sturm. OR even try and make a deal with Slumping Leafs or Sens, who could use just about anything right now. I just cant really think of who they would get in return from either team, maybe Ottawa gives us Winchester or Regin, and Toronto hmmmm, maybe Mitchell or Bozak.
yea but Boston needs cap space. I think they can find a deal for a FA lefty Dman for Frolov.

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 11:33 AM
  #49
AXN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,451
vCash: 500
Fedetenko is better than him. Tortorella's former players are doing well under him. Prospal is better with Gaborik than Frolov. His only hope is to move to right wing.
Hope someone takes him.

AXN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 11:41 AM
  #50
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Long Island
Posts: 8,167
vCash: 500
Im in the boat that thinks frolov is one of those guys who is past his best years already.



Where are plays like these...he doesnt even get chances like this on a regular basis. And notice....not one wraparound

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:00 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.