HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Handedness?! Better at some things with one, others with other.

Old
12-08-2010, 07:18 PM
Appleyard

vCash: 165
Handedness?! Better at some things with one, others with other.

Im a right handed player, could never be anything but never thought of even picking a stick up left handed, feels far more comfortable, stickhandlings ok, passing ok, and my wristshot is damn good (shame about my awful skating, be it ice or roller).

But the other day I blew out my stick messing about on the park (it was slightly icy, not enough for skates, but the puck went well so we figured we'd go out, theres never any real chance to shoot on ice apart from rinks in england) didnt have spare with me, so used my brothers spare (he's left handed), and found that my slapshot was twice as good left handed (couldnt wrist it at all), I mean, wtf, i dont understand, my right hand is twice as strong, can throw hander by a mile with it, although i would consider im ambidextrous with catching and throwing.

Anyone else have this, any clue why, or anyone else do some stuff better right handed, some stuff left handed?

Only reason i can concoct is that my brothers stick is jeff carter-esque as he's 6'3'' (at 15 the freak) and im only 5'11'', so maybe get more power on it?

Last edited by Appleyard: 12-08-2010 at 07:44 PM.
Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 11:52 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
How long have you been playing? I sure couldn't begin to take a slapper right handed...

I'd go with the hand that gives you the best puck control. Shot power, accuracy, and technique are easier to develop.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 12:34 PM
bdbowti

I am naturally right handed and everything i do is right handed....except for hockey. When i started playing i naturally got a right handed stick and started to play. It just never felt right to me and i had very little puck control or power. My buddy told me to try a left handed stick and that felt more natural. Now i am not that good a player and don't have a great shot or anything but i definitely feel more comfortable with my dominant hand on the top of the stick.

bdbowti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 12:44 PM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbowti View Post
I am naturally right handed and everything i do is right handed....except for hockey. When i started playing i naturally got a right handed stick and started to play. It just never felt right to me and i had very little puck control or power. My buddy told me to try a left handed stick and that felt more natural. Now i am not that good a player and don't have a great shot or anything but i definitely feel more comfortable with my dominant hand on the top of the stick.

this is actually the way it should be with your dominant hand on top. I'm most ambidextrous but write left-handed. Most of my power comes from my ride side and finesse/control from my right side. Being a right shot suites me.

I have thought about picking up a cheap wood left blade and putting it in an old shaft I have to see what the other side is like. Lecture in my area seem few and far between plus it'd be cool to learn. also good for the brain to reverse connections.

Splitbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 01:54 PM
Skraut

I've always thought this was a very interesting topic, and that there is no "Right or Wrong (or left)" answer.

I'm right handed for most everything, writing, golf, baseball, archery, etc, but when it comes to hockey, I picked up a left stick without even thinking about it. It just felt correct right of the bat to have my dominant hand on the top of my stick.

Partly it is because I predominantly play defense, and have a lot more control over the stick in my dominant hand when I'm trying to disrupt passes.

But secondly I get a lot more power on my shots, both wisters and slapshots, by PULLING my top hand back, as opposed to pushing my lower hand. Don't get me wrong, both hands move, It just feels like I'm generating the power with the pulling motion instead of the pushing motion.

I actually work with a teammate, who's right handed, and shoots right, and we've occasionally spotted for each other in the company gym. The interesting thing is he can bench press, a lot more than he can pull, while I'm the other way around. I pull nearly twice what I can bench. Likewise he can do more pushups, and I can do more pull-ups.

He gets his shot power from using his dominant hand lower on the stick to push because that is where he is stronger. I get my shot power by using my dominant hand on the top of the stick to pull, because that is where I am stronger.

Not sure if it's scientific, or even correct, just interesting observations.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 08:01 PM
Appleyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
How long have you been playing? I sure couldn't begin to take a slapper right handed...

I'd go with the hand that gives you the best puck control. Shot power, accuracy, and technique are easier to develop.
Playing about 2-3 years, on the wing, so i consider my better wrister more important. Everything apart from slapshot seems to be better playing right handed. Id consider myself right handed when writing and throwing, but my left isnt too far behind in strength terms. Just confuses me how my slapshot is better left handed, wish it was as good right handed, as I cant imagine playing left handed, id have no control over my stick, and my wristshot and snapshot left handed are awful.

Old
12-10-2010, 01:25 PM
Reverend Mayhem
Freeway's closed man

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Interesting, I shoot right, even though I should be shooting left. It just comes natural. I am more dominant at everything with my right-handed shot.

My slapshot used to suck (also better with my left), but it's improved vastly since.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 10:35 PM
Ashe

You could be doing a different motion while shooting left which is leading to the increase in power.

Ashe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2010, 10:49 PM
Appleyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashe View Post
You could be doing a different motion while shooting left which is leading to the increase in power.
I thought about that, and tried to replicate the same motion on the other side. But it seems my right hand has all the control when slapshot righthanded, but left has no power, while when slapshot lefthanded I have amazing power, both have good power but no control, cant direct it, its strage as feels so much more natural slapshotting right handed, but the power isnt there, it feels like it will be as i hit it, but it has no zip on it as it goes, wheras with the left it feels like it will has no power, but goes like a rocket. Confusing as my wrister and snapshot are almost exactly how hard and where i want them every time right handed, but slapper is awful.

Old
12-12-2010, 02:09 AM
greyraven8

Although I am right handed, I shoot right (which is rare for those of my age [40+] in Canada I believe).

May have been taught at an early age by my dad who is left handed and shoots right.

My slap shot (if you even want to call it that) has never had much power, but am too old to change and the few times I have tried shooting left have ended in quick disaster. Part of the reason for no real slapshot may be lack of upper body strength and a stick that many would say is too long (better suited for pokechecking and the like).

In golf shoot right, baseball bat right, etc. - just in hockey I am "backwards" for a right hander.

greyraven8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2010, 03:27 PM
Appleyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyraven8 View Post
Although I am right handed, I shoot right (which is rare for those of my age [40+] in Canada I believe).

May have been taught at an early age by my dad who is left handed and shoots right.

My slap shot (if you even want to call it that) has never had much power, but am too old to change and the few times I have tried shooting left have ended in quick disaster. Part of the reason for no real slapshot may be lack of upper body strength and a stick that many would say is too long (better suited for pokechecking and the like).

In golf shoot right, baseball bat right, etc. - just in hockey I am "backwards" for a right hander.
I bat right-handed in cricket and baseball. I believe on the whole when taking into account British players there are more right handed players than left handed, which is strange, as in pretty much every pro league is the opposite, part of the problem seems to be there arnt half as many left handed sticks in shops as right handed... i dont think the average british hockey coach or player understands that a right handed person should really be a left handed hockey player. My brother plays left handed, and he has far more trouble getting sticks than I do. I doubt the problem is upper body strength, I used to play water polo for GB u-16 and weigh about 13 stone at 5'11'' (without shoes), maybe its as my right side is massively overdeveloped compared to the left, due to being right handed in almost everything, and doing so many reps in water polo a week in the way of shots. Just gona work harder on my right slapshot i think, do more reps on my left side when im training.

Old
12-12-2010, 04:49 PM
kr580

Send a message via AIM to kr580
The problem is that, outside of Canada, Russia and some Northern European countries, hockey is virtually NEVER the first sport people learn. Everyone assumes if you're right-handed you should use a stick labeled 'right handed'. British coaches aren't alone with thinking that, it's that way in the US too.

kr580 is online now   Reply With Quote