HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Had a chance to speak with Ted Lindsay today...

Old
12-07-2010, 05:14 PM
RabbinsDuck

vCash: 500
Had a chance to speak with Ted Lindsay today...

Got there early for an autograph signing and was able to chat with him for a bit...

Super nice guy and you can tell he loves talking about hockey. I could have asked a million questions, but here are a few things we talked about.

He said it was a good question why Red Kelly's number was not hanging in the rafters, he assumed just because he did end up playing in Toronto for a fair amount, though through no fault of his own. Said the eventual trade to Toronto after Kelly retired was like "trading a bike for a Cadillac".

Said Doug Harvey was the best defenseman he ever played against, with Kelly right there. Believes Lidstrom will rightfully be remembered as just as good, if not better, than them.

Obviously watches a lot of hockey still and *****ed about the Wings game last night.
Hopes they explore ways to open up the game more (too many garbage goals), and wish I had time to get more of his thoughts on that.

Misses the rivalries of the past - said they were incredibly intense, but there was still a lot of respect.

He didn't see Shore play much but mentioned he had the most unusual skating style, hunched over like he was taking a crap on the ice Also said everything you might read in a book about Shore is true- he was quite a character.

Obviously still no love lost between he and Jack Adams - believes Adams broke up that team way too early and that they had a few more championships left in them.

Was really honored to have the Pearson re-named after him.

Apparently it was Dickie Moore whom he fought with at an old-timers game, that got him barred from those for a while

Scoffed at the idea players from the past would not play at a similar level today - believes the main difference is sports medicine today - it didn't exist in the past and they didn't even know what a concussion was.

Last edited by RabbinsDuck: 12-07-2010 at 05:22 PM.
RabbinsDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 05:36 PM
WilliamRanford

Great post man -- thanks for that. What a treat to have some recent topics sounded out among an all-time great! Seriously, thanks a lot.

WilliamRanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 06:23 PM
Ogie Goldthorpe
Piloted Ogre Hog

My all time favourite player... thanks for the post!

Ogie Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 07:39 PM
RabbinsDuck

I wish I had the guts to ask him if I could buy him a cup of coffee some time and pick his brain for a while.
He definitely enjoyed talking to me, I believe, but I didn't want to seem 'stalkish'.

I've heard Howe and him still carry a grudge but I wasn't about to go there!
It's just a real treat to hear a perspective first-hand like that - the guy is all there mentally as well.

Old
12-07-2010, 07:45 PM
RabbinsDuck

Oh, and he mentioned Bob Goldham was really under-appreciated nowadays.
Didn't have the all-around game of Kelly and Harvey but was just a beast defensively.

Old
12-07-2010, 10:09 PM
bester vaive
Fear the Titan!

Thanks for sharing! "Terrible" Ted was a force on the ice and current skaters owe him a huge "Thanks!" for his work off the ice concerning the union and well-being of the players. No disrespect to Mr. Pearson, but renaming the trophy for Lindsay is very well-deserved. Number 7 is a treasure to all hockey fans, not just those of the DRW.

bester vaive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 11:09 PM
Hockey Outsider

Great post. Thanks for sharing.

Hockey Outsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2010, 11:18 PM
RabbinsDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by bester vaive View Post
Thanks for sharing! "Terrible" Ted was a force on the ice and current skaters owe him a huge "Thanks!" for his work off the ice concerning the union and well-being of the players. No disrespect to Mr. Pearson, but renaming the trophy for Lindsay is very well-deserved. Number 7 is a treasure to all hockey fans, not just those of the DRW.
He stated his work for a union was the reason Adams sent him packing, right after he had scored the most points in his career. Wasn't happy in Chicago and was grateful to Abel for bringing him back, even for one season.

Oh, and about the "respect" thing - I believe him.
When he laughed and talked about fighting Dickie Moore in an Old-Timer's game, he made sure to ask if I knew about him and said he was "a great player".

Old
12-08-2010, 09:02 AM
LeBlondeDemon10
BlindLemon Haystacks

I'm not surprised Shore skated that way. If you have ever seen the Don Cherry movie on CBC, Shore was constantly barking at Cherry to bend his legs when he skated. Great flick.

LeBlondeDemon10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 09:57 AM
tony d
ATD 2015

One of the top 5 Left Wingers of all-time, truly a great in hockey history.

tony d is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 10:33 AM
Ozz

My girlfriend and I met Lindsay (and Howe) at Wings games during autograph sessions for their books. We were the only ones in line at the time so I had the opportunity to chat them up and they were happy to spend a few minutes shooting the breeze and posing for photos. When we met Howe, it was when the Penguins were visiting and as such I had to be adorned in my Pens gear. So he and I got to talking about Sid and the Pens, which was cool. He had nothing but praise for Sid, though he did ask me "What the heck is that?" while pointing to my shirt

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 10:49 AM
SealsFan

Fantastic post! Wish you could have spent an hour with him.

SealsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 12:19 PM
YzerTheMan*

Gotta love Terrible Ted, what a character.

OT- CBC ran a two part movie about his involvement in early union matters about 10-15 years ago I believe. I for some reason ended up missing it. Does anyone remember the name of it and where I might be able to find it?

YzerTheMan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 12:31 PM
JackSlater

Quote:
Originally Posted by YzerTheMan View Post
Gotta love Terrible Ted, what a character.

OT- CBC ran a two part movie about his involvement in early union matters about 10-15 years ago I believe. I for some reason ended up missing it. Does anyone remember the name of it and where I might be able to find it?
Net Worth? I've seen it on movie channels recently actually.

JackSlater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 12:32 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Guy lives in Detroit instead of Renfrew

I can't blame him, but because of that I'll probably never get the chance to talk to him, as he sounds like a great, intelligent guy. Tons of stories to tell, like Pierre Mcguire.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 01:17 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbinsDuck View Post
Also said everything you might read in a book about Shore is true- he was quite a character.
Like playing a game wearing a bath robe?

Dreakmur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 02:53 PM
CC Chiefs*

I once met Gordie Howe at charity hockey game/party. He allowed me to sit at his table for about 15 minutes. We also talked hockey. He asked where I was from and told the UP and he started raving how much liked up there. I finally asked him who the best player was and all said was "Wayne" not Gretzky it was just "Wayne".

CC Chiefs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 04:30 PM
mbhhofr

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBlondeDemon10 View Post
I'm not surprised Shore skated that way. If you have ever seen the Don Cherry movie on CBC, Shore was constantly barking at Cherry to bend his legs when he skated. Great flick.
I attended an on ice hockey clinic put on by Eddie Shore when I was twelve. He spent some time showing and putting us through a few skating drills. One of the things that he stressed was bending your knees.

After the clinic my dad and I were leaving the rink and Shore was outside waiting for a taxi to take him to another rink in our end of town. My dad asked him if we could give him a ride and he accepted. When we got to the rink and he was getting out of the car, he said to me, "Don't forget to bend your knees!"

I also might add that it worked. I became an on ice official when I was fourteen and even though I was 5' 7" and only weighed 120 lbs., my skating is what everyone noticed and it got me into working as a linesman in Jr., Pro and being selected to work the 1959 Memorial Cup final when I was nineteen years old.

mbhhofr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2010, 05:07 PM
LeBlondeDemon10
BlindLemon Haystacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbhhofr View Post
I attended an on ice hockey clinic put on by Eddie Shore when I was twelve. He spent some time showing and putting us through a few skating drills. One of the things that he stressed was bending your knees.

After the clinic my dad and I were leaving the rink and Shore was outside waiting for a taxi to take him to another rink in our end of town. My dad asked him if we could give him a ride and he accepted. When we got to the rink and he was getting out of the car, he said to me, "Don't forget to bend your knees!"

I also might add that it worked. I became an on ice official when I was fourteen and even though I was 5' 7" and only weighed 120 lbs., my skating is what everyone noticed and it got me into working as a linesman in Jr., Pro and being selected to work the 1959 Memorial Cup final when I was nineteen years old.
Great story. Thanks for sharing that. Was Shore as gruff and rough in person as he has been made out to be? The movie portrayed him as mean and anti-social.

LeBlondeDemon10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 09:14 AM
justsomeguy

Lindsay is great to speak with. Candid and classy but still tough as nails and pulls no punches. Think he and Howe have pretty much patched it up. Took a while though.

For more on Shore, pick up Eddie Shore and That Old Time Hockey by Michael Hiam -First full length bio of Shore. Well researched sympathetic portrayal that also looks at his life away from the rink and before he got into the game.

justsomeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 02:27 PM
johnnycanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSlater View Post
Net Worth? I've seen it on movie channels recently actually.
Loosely based on a very good book, of the same name, by Bruce Dowbiggin. I recommend it to any hockey fan who is interested in the development of the NHLPA. Tons of good stuff in there about Eagleson.

johnnycanuck is offline   Reply With Quote