HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#29: Sharks @ Flyers - Wednesday, Dec. 8, 2010 - 7:00 PM (ET)

Closed Thread

Old
12-09-2010, 11:02 AM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
of course not, his severn and the fact you said he is first on the team. him being first is meaningless in that catogory
...no, it means he's had the most primary assists on the team.

Old
12-09-2010, 11:04 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
Other guys have a long leash, he doesnt. 1 mistake and he is done. others can make 10. How is he going to earn them when his forte is scoirng and playing on the 4th line? or the occasional shift with skill guys when they have established no chemistry? I have said it befor, i dont think the coach knows what to do with him or how to use him.
If they were making so many mistakes, then Z would have better production levels than them (for the team, obviously his goal scoring is fine). He doesn't.

Old
12-09-2010, 11:06 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Zherdev played a better team game yesterday, was cyclying and passing. Hopefully he keeps it up.

Powe had an awful game on the PK, I wouldn't be opposed to him sitting 1 game for Carcillo since its the leafs. Plus Powe took that stinger off his foot and could probably use a day off. I am a big Powe guy, but he needs to play smarter.
Zherdev is horrible for this team. He tries too many moves to get the job done resulting in turnovers. Putting Giroux on a wing with Carter and Zherdev is now going to put Giroux without the puck to create offense but also with two guys who like to carry and shoot.

Old
12-09-2010, 11:18 AM
vera1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
Zherdev is horrible for this team. He tries too many moves to get the job done resulting in turnovers.
According to nhl.com stats, Zherdev has a total of 6 giveaways. Giroux has 10, and Richards - 14.

Would you please stop talking out of your ass, and start using facts?

Thank you.

Old
12-09-2010, 11:22 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by vera1964 View Post
According to nhl.com stats, Zherdev has a total of 6 giveaways. Giroux has 10, and Richards - 14.

Thank you.
And they probably have double the ice time. And they play both ends of the ice, especially Richards.

Thank you

Old
12-09-2010, 11:29 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:

Thank you.
Zherdev is bad for the team, he needs to be back with the Skirts, it was much more fun then watching him spin-o-rama like a Disney on Ice star. Zherdev is all flash, flash never wins out over substance. His turnover spinning in circles with Carter was a thing of brilliance, only a star of his caliber could make those moves and give up the puck leading to an odd-man rush. I see what you mean about his creativity, he needs to go back to the KHL where he can skate like in circles with his dispy-doo, whiddle and diddle moves.

Old
12-09-2010, 11:35 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:

Thank you.
check the icetime next to those stats Professor

thanks. now move along.

Old
12-09-2010, 11:44 AM
vera1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
check the icetime next to those stats Professor

thanks. now move along.
I did. Still he isn't worse than them.

Funny, now you remembered of the ice time. Try to also factor it in when you consider his offensive production. You might be surprized.

Old
12-09-2010, 11:47 AM
Jaydepps

Send a message via AIM to Jaydepps
Quote:
Zherdev is bad for the team, he needs to be back with the Skirts, it was much more fun then watching him spin-o-rama like a Disney on Ice star. Zherdev is all flash, flash never wins out over substance. His turnover spinning in circles with Carter was a thing of brilliance, only a star of his caliber could make those moves and give up the puck leading to an odd-man rush. I see what you mean about his creativity, he needs to go back to the KHL where he can skate like in circles with his dispy-doo, whiddle and diddle moves.
I've never seen a player with 8 goals at this point in the season that everybody seems to hate. Zherdev is good to have on this team. Never know when injuries will set in. It's always nice to have skilled forwards.

Old
12-09-2010, 11:51 AM
Jester

Quote:

Thank you.
That's because they... pass the puck and some of those passes get intercepted.

Old
12-09-2010, 11:58 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydepps View Post
I've never seen a player with 8 goals at this point in the season that everybody seems to hate. Zherdev is good to have on this team. Never know when injuries will set in. It's always nice to have skilled forwards.
Not a big fan of flashy Russians with baggage. There gets to be a point where too many chiefs and not enough indians. If Zherdev was the man he would get his assists and his goals and everyone could fawn over him, of course the team would be floundering near the bottom of the conference, but at least you could fawn. Bet you right now if the Flyers make the playoffs Zherdev would max out with 4pts, but most likely he would get a goose egg.

Old
12-09-2010, 12:16 PM
McNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Zherdev's problem outside of his defensive play is his attempt to skate through 2 or 3 players. It's something that he might have gotten away in the KHL because the ice surface is bigger but it doesn't work here. That and his defensive play is why he's on the shortest leash.
You constantly see Mike Richards trying this also.

Old
12-09-2010, 12:17 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
You constantly see Mike Richards trying this also.
Eh, usually only when he's on one-man rushes...

Old
12-09-2010, 12:51 PM
Hold the Pickles

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersguy33 View Post
Twas me, I just didnt feel like giving one at the time, but I guess i will now.

It just doesnt make sense. Why keep the play going until after the whistle. Sure it works in football, but it just isnt the same. I don't know. Its kind of hard to explain. It just doesnt really work at all with the sport.
I'll try. In basketball the ball is in the air and it doesn't get touched, if it did it'd be goaltending or a legitimate blocked shot. In football the play doesn't end until the play is over... the clock expiring just means you can't take another snap.

In hockey, it would be problematic when you consider deflections and such. If you were to allow redirections you'd be allowing people to play the puck after time expires. And even if you're ok with that it brings up a whole slew of other problems and refs or goal judges having to figure out if it was a legitimate continuation of the shot or if its a separate and invalid shot. Even if the puck had to go in clean, there'd be discussions on whether it was touched or not. It's much easier and certain to just not allow it.

Anyway, tough game guys. Good luck for the rest of the season, unless of course, we meet in the finals

Old
12-09-2010, 01:00 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
I did. Still he isn't worse than them.

Funny, now you remembered of the ice time. Try to also factor it in when you consider his offensive production. You might be surprized.
I do factor in the icetime. so does the coaching staff. if he put forth the effort on a consistant basis the greatest Flyer of all time might get more PT.

Old
12-09-2010, 01:03 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Eh, usually only when he's on one-man rushes...
Mike Richards cross-ice telegraph pass was a head shaker. Zherdev and Carter were equally bad. The only line that has any continuity with their play even when not scoring is Hartnell/Briere/Leino, who woulda thunk?

Old
12-09-2010, 01:38 PM
Flyerfan808

So, I couldn't watch this one and I was just wondering if someone can fill me in on what the **** happened for us to cough up a 4-1 lead in the third period? Good / Bad / Ugly?

Old
12-09-2010, 02:04 PM
Jester

Quote:
Mike Richards cross-ice telegraph pass was a head shaker. Zherdev and Carter were equally bad. The only line that has any continuity with their play even when not scoring is Hartnell/Briere/Leino, who woulda thunk?
Those are nothing new.

Old
12-09-2010, 02:06 PM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan808 View Post
So, I couldn't watch this one and I was just wondering if someone can fill me in on what the **** happened for us to cough up a 4-1 lead in the third period? Good / Bad / Ugly?
It's better off if you move on to tonight. Just a ****show.

Old
12-09-2010, 02:29 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1079
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan808 View Post
Gormley usually does an easy-to-read recap after every (home) game (avoid his lines, however, he listed Carter twice).

http://blogs.courierpostonline.com/f...s-to-san-jose/

Quote:
Nothing upsets Peter Laviolette more than having a team that leads the NHL in minor penalties. Unless of course, a flurry of penalties leads to blowing a three-goal lead in the third period.

That’s what happened Wednesday night against the San Jose Sharks, when an interference penalty to Jeff Carter and a double-minor for high sticking to Danny Briere led to the Flyers blowing a 4-1 lead en route to a 5-4 shootout loss at home.

“The reason we blew the 4-1 lead was because of penalties,” Laviolette said. “They take the flow out of the bench, they kill the game and they can send it in the other direction. They did all of the above. We gave them an opportunity to re-open the door and they barged through it.”

If this sounds like a broken record (or a scratched CD) it’s because the Flyers lead the NHL with 146 minor penalties. Briere and Scott Hartnell lead the team and are tied for second in the NHL with 17 minors each. Laviolette has been harping on staying out of the box since the day he arrived in Philadelphia a year ago, but if blowing a three-goal lead doesn’t drive home the message nothing will.

The Flyers will get a chance to redeem themselves in Toronto on Thursday night when they face a team they dominated 5-2 the last time they met on Oct. 23.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 12-09-2010 at 02:35 PM.
Old
12-09-2010, 02:33 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Sounds like what we were going through this time last year. Taking dumb penalties, not having good break outs, etc.

Old
12-09-2010, 02:38 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
Sounds like what we were going through this time last year. Taking dumb penalties, not having good break outs, etc.
Part of it is what I'm most leery about, and that's the wear and tear the team endured last season. It looked easy in November, but it won't be going forward. I think it's going to start showing up. Laviolette's job managing that may be a tougher task then what he had last year.

Old
12-09-2010, 02:40 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
That and how long does it take this team to tune Lavy out? How many time outs can you call to yell, and scream at your team till it burns out?

I've been thinking about that since the day he's been hired.

Old
12-09-2010, 02:49 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
That and how long does it take this team to tune Lavy out? How many time outs can you call to yell, and scream at your team till it burns out?

I've been thinking about that since the day he's been hired.
That's the coaching life cycle at the NHL level. I think having the player's respect can buy you a little more time, but people become desensitized eventually, I agree.

Old
12-09-2010, 02:49 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Gormley usually does an easy-to-read recap after every (home) game (avoid his lines, however, he listed Carter twice).

http://blogs.courierpostonline.com/f...s-to-san-jose/
god forbid he sit them down for a game or 2 to get the message across. There is nothing else to do. He has preached and they have not listened. You keep taking dumb penalties you will sit. Simple as that really. Had it been jvr or zherdev you can bet they would be in the press box with clarkie eating popcorn. He talks about accoutnability yet i dont always see it

Closed Thread