HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stanley Cup or Bust!

Closed Thread

Old
12-09-2010, 12:09 PM
phillyfanatic

vCash: 500
Stanley Cup or Bust!

I was told we are no different than the other 28 teams that did not win a cup the last four years. You agree?

Anyone else enjoy the success of the team during the year?
Anyone else look back at deep playoff runs as some of the best times of your lives?

Is it the minority that thinks if we do not win the cup a SCF, ECF apperance in three years is worthless and pure failure? Curious.

Old
12-09-2010, 12:11 PM
Cartsiephan*

Homer has all the pieces, now it is up to the players. Gut check time, was last year a fluke or can they beat the good teams in the NHL consistently?

Old
12-09-2010, 12:11 PM
Hollywood Couturier
#NoHonorForConnor

Yup. Stanley Cup or Bust. Only one exception and that is the series against Boston last year. I want a Cup and nothing will come close to it. Sure the times are great but they all ended with defeat. I want a season where it ends with Mike Richards lifting the cup.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Old
12-09-2010, 12:14 PM
Flyskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Cannon View Post
Yup. Stanley Cup or Bust. Only one exception and that is the series against Boston last year. I want a Cup and nothing will come close to it. Sure the times are great but they all ended with defeat. I want a season where it ends with Mike Richards lifting the cup.
FWIW, 2006-07 ended with a win.

Old
12-09-2010, 12:30 PM
Garbage Goal

You couldn't just keep this in the other thread?

Generally speaking, there's varying degrees of success. However, the Cup is the ultimate goal so it can be argued that every team is Stanley Cup or bust, even if the teams that didn't win it had varying degrees of success/failure.

As for our team specifically, it's definitely Cup or bust. This team is built to win now, our prospects suck, we haven't used a 1st rounder to draft an actual player for several seasons now, and we probably won't have a 2nd rounder until doomsday. This team fails if it doesn't win the Cup. Simple as that. Although, stuff like division championships and conference championships are nice consolation prizes.

Old
12-09-2010, 01:00 PM
phillyfanatic

What does it mean?
Are you a big Flyer fan? Ever had your wife or someone you know poke fun at your passion for this team? After all – it is “just a game”! We’ll, for me – it is a passion…….a passion we share.

Each April, my brother and I get together for game 1 of the Stanley Cup playoffs and every game until it ends. We live in the same city but only get together for Christmas, Thanksgiving, Playoffs! I have my Claude Giroux signed Jersey on over my Briere T-shirt with a flyers cap on my head and 1 beer each period (never more never less – superstition). We watch each game on the edge of our seats. Huge cheer when the Flyers score or win. Absolutely pain when they lose. We get behind them, we stay up late, we enjoy the moments. I remember everything about only certain days in my life (day I was married, day my first son was born, day my twins were born, day I found out my newly born son suffered from a cerebral injury, September 11th 2001, the day we dropped the first bomb in Iraq, the night Keith Primeau scored to beat the Pens, the day we traded for Eric Lindros). Some would look at that list and say, man – you got hockey with those events……yeah, well, it means a lot to “me”.

So, to say that the Stanley Cup is the goal is obvious. To say that each win along the way means nothing demeans those memories and moments. Each of those games, series and players has become a part of Flyer history. It is a proud history. It is a winning history. It is a shame that teams such as Carolina, Tampa Bay and New Jersey get to enjoy Stanley Cup wins while the Flyer faithful sit and wait.

Do I wish to see the Flyers win a Stanley Cup? Of course. It has been a lifetime of watching this team and that is the pinnacle. I honestly do not know what I would do or feel when I see it happen. How can I? With that said, I can tell you – that the journey to this point has been great. When someone says that our Stanley Cup Final appearance last year means nothing more than we give Anaheim a lower pick, you must not appreciate the journey as much as me. The 2009-2010 Flyers had a special run. It was a spring I may never forget and I thank them for that.

Old
12-09-2010, 01:03 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
What does it mean?
Are you a big Flyer fan? Ever had your wife or someone you know poke fun at your passion for this team? After all – it is “just a game”! We’ll, for me – it is a passion…….a passion we share.

Each April, my brother and I get together for game 1 of the Stanley Cup playoffs and every game until it ends. We live in the same city but only get together for Christmas, Thanksgiving, Playoffs! I have my Claude Giroux signed Jersey on over my Briere T-shirt with a flyers cap on my head and 1 beer each period (never more never less – superstition). We watch each game on the edge of our seats. Huge cheer when the Flyers score or win. Absolutely pain when they lose. We get behind them, we stay up late, we enjoy the moments. I remember everything about only certain days in my life (day I was married, day my first son was born, day my twins were born, day I found out my newly born son suffered from a cerebral injury, September 11th 2001, the day we dropped the first bomb in Iraq, the night Keith Primeau scored to beat the Pens, the day we traded for Eric Lindros). Some would look at that list and say, man – you got hockey with those events……yeah, well, it means a lot to “me”.

So, to say that the Stanley Cup is the goal is obvious. To say that each win along the way means nothing demeans those memories and moments. Each of those games, series and players has become a part of Flyer history. It is a proud history. It is a winning history. It is a shame that teams such as Carolina, Tampa Bay and New Jersey get to enjoy Stanley Cup wins while the Flyer faithful sit and wait.

Do I wish to see the Flyers win a Stanley Cup? Of course. It has been a lifetime of watching this team and that is the pinnacle. I honestly do not know what I would do or feel when I see it happen. How can I? With that said, I can tell you – that the journey to this point has been great. When someone says that our Stanley Cup Final appearance last year means nothing more than we give Anaheim a lower pick, you must not appreciate the journey as much as me. The 2009-2010 Flyers had a special run. It was a spring I may never forget and I thank them for that.
Go tell it to your priest

Old
12-09-2010, 01:04 PM
chaosof99*

I call BS. Flyers have had tremendous success and very memorable moments, even if the Cup is still missing. However, even if the Flyers had won the Cup last year, or any time recently, it would still be the goal to win it this year. For the same reason I don't see the difference between any of the teams going into a new season. It doesn't matter when you won the last Cup. The goal is always to win the next one.

Old
12-09-2010, 01:06 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
What does it mean?

Are you replying to me?

Old
12-09-2010, 01:12 PM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Are you replying to me?
Nope - started writing it before i saw your post.

Old
12-09-2010, 01:13 PM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
Go tell it to your priest
I would - but his a Habs fan.

Old
12-09-2010, 01:21 PM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

To an extend, yes: It's Cup or Bust. But that's the motto of like 10 teams in the league - at least. The Sharks have their 6th Cup or Bust season in a row.
It's incredibly hard to win it all in this league. Gagne was right last season when he basically said that even guys like JVR may never experience another SCF.
That being said, I doubt I'd feel much better after a Cup win than after Game 7 against Boston. I'm still high from that game. That was special.

Old
12-09-2010, 02:20 PM
Spav1789

We have Jody Shelley and potentially Matt Walker in time for playoffs. How can we possibly lose?

Old
12-09-2010, 02:33 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Being honest, as much as I love the team and all, I cant really say its exciting to watch a team get to playoffs almost every year, and that year is when people keep saying "Thats the year" and we go and lose in the first round or make it to the end and lose it.

For me, right now, from seeing the team make the playoffs a bunch of times, win the Stanely Cup or its not a good season for me.

Old
12-09-2010, 02:34 PM
Garbage Goal

Last season's playoffs were nice just because we didn't have to play the Caps or get our ***** kicked by the Pens for once.

Old
12-09-2010, 02:42 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

it's the cup or bust. I know i say it allot. But last season was the perfect oportunity that the players on the flyers roster may never get again.

Old
12-09-2010, 03:02 PM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
Last season's playoffs were nice just because we didn't have to play the Caps or get our ***** kicked by the Pens for once.
Thats the spirit

Old
12-09-2010, 03:26 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Thats the spirit
It is the main point when specifically saying that last years showing in the ECF's by a #8 and #7 seed does not happen, EVER. To win this year I would expect that they will meet one of those two at least, that is why having a good regular season is important, get the home ice if you can.

Old
12-09-2010, 03:34 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Thats the spirit
Something wrong with not wanting to face the Caps or not wanting to get our ass handed to us by the Pens for the millionth time?

Old
12-09-2010, 03:46 PM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
Something wrong with not wanting to face the Caps or not wanting to get our ass handed to us by the Pens for the millionth time?
Flyers win series 4-2 in 2000
Penguins win conference finals 4-1 in 2008
Penguins win first round 4-2 in 2009

That is three meetings in 10 years. They won 2 we won 1. We haven't beat Sid, but as with all years, we have a new team and they have a new team. I personally believe we would have beat them last year. They didn't play well against Ottawa or Montreal.

If we play them this year. I believe we win. ******* Sid. Bring it, hell if we win it all without going through Pittsburgh, it won't be the same.

Washington hasn't beat us in the playoffs since 1987-88. Back when Chris Pronger was playing bantom. So not sure why you fear them. Perhaps it is their great playoff record these last few years?

Old
12-09-2010, 03:54 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
I love the success we've had and for now I appreciated but 5 years from now if we dont have a cup, no one will remember going to the finals in 09-10.

I barely remember going the ECF in 07-08 right now as it is

Old
12-09-2010, 04:00 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
I love the success we've had and for now I appreciated but 5 years from now if we dont have a cup, no one will remember going to the finals in 09-10.

Don't worry, MSE will be able to remind us. He may also be able to tell you the fifth word of the 3rd sentence in the 2nd question asked of Lavi in the postgame interview after game 3.

Old
12-09-2010, 04:09 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Like someone said before the game yesterday, we still have a really hard time containing star players.

teams like Boston, MTL, NJD we can deal with easily as we out match them in depth and talent. Teams like Washingotn, Pitts, etc we need to prove ourselves against

Old
12-09-2010, 04:13 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Flyers win series 4-2 in 2000
Penguins win conference finals 4-1 in 2008
Penguins win first round 4-2 in 2009

That is three meetings in 10 years. They won 2 we won 1. We haven't beat Sid, but as with all years, we have a new team and they have a new team. I personally believe we would have beat them last year. They didn't play well against Ottawa or Montreal.

If we play them this year. I believe we win. ******* Sid. Bring it, hell if we win it all without going through Pittsburgh, it won't be the same.

Washington hasn't beat us in the playoffs since 1987-88. Back when Chris Pronger was playing bantom. So not sure why you fear them. Perhaps it is their great playoff record these last few years?
Since Crosby has come to Pittsburgh (and Malkin and the rest of the gang) we've had an atrocious record against them in the regular season where we only win like one out of every five against them or something similarly pitiful. In the playoffs, we're 0-2 against this particular Pens team. Crosby and Malkin both have absurd PPG averages against us and Fleury rarely seem to have a bad game against us.

It should be obvious why I don't want to face them.

I don't want to face the Caps because I don't like watching team I hate play and because they're an elite team that has the ability to expose our bad goaltending.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post

You're right, but a lot of people might remember last year's because of that 0-3 comeback victory.

Old
12-09-2010, 05:45 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Don't worry, MSE will be able to remind us. He may also be able to tell you the fifth word of the 3rd sentence in the 2nd question asked of Lavi in the postgame interview after game 3.
LOL! You better believe he will!

Closed Thread