Blueland Black Ops

Closed Thread

Old
12-08-2010, 12:06 PM
KevFist
is best pony

vCash: 500
Blueland Black Ops

Alright...I started working on a website last night that I hope to have finished up soon. Let's get these ideas organized here....So far, this is what we have....

Key dangling- Done at Alabama and other SEC schools, my friends and I have been doing it at the Redwings and Habs games, its obnoxious and i like doing it.

Referring to all visiting team fans/players as Carpet baggers.

Actually show a little excitement when the Thrashers start cycling the puck in the offensive zone.

Just pack the barn.

Tell all your friends, bring groups along with your regulars, mention the Thrashers success in your Facebook status, give people Thrashers shirts for Christmas.

Also, join in the "Let's Go Thrashers!" chants every time the drum bangs. Me yelling it at the top of my lungs in section 311 every game always has at least a dozen other people joining me by the end of the game.

First, if you live in Atlanta and post here on a homegame GDT during the game, then shame on you. You really should get yourself to BigLots or Walmart, buy a $5.00 toy, take it to a Kia Dealership and take your lousy voucher for 2 free tix to the boxoffice and go to a damn game.

2. Put a Thrasher license plate on your car and wear Thrasher gear around town. Establish a presence. YOU are the billboard.

3. Talk positively about the team. Don't oblige anyone with owner talk or even Waddell talk. No one cheers for suits anyways. We cheer for the Blue laundry on the ice.

4. Tell people about the $10 upper deck tix. Tell 'em to buy the 10's and move down. Screw 'em if they get there and find that they have to go back up there. So what.

5. Rabble rousing here does no good when you have to drum up new audiences. I'm taking toys to each of the December games, getting the vouchers, turning them in and then giving the tickets away as Christmas gifts. Cheap, easy way to give gifts and also help out kids that otherwise won't have Christmas, and put some butts in the chairs.

Ten people taking gifts to 2 or 3 of the December games could turn into 40 to 60 new fans.

Find a forum/site/group somewhere on these internets that is almost exclusively Atlanta-based (or at least Georgia based), put together a creative spiel on how and why they should attend and support the Thrashers.
Not spamming cause everyone hates that. Call it a free fan-based marketing group, or anything you think would work. Whatever is needed to get the word out. The less annoying the better honestly. Creative thinkers, marketing experience a big plus.

Get at least 20 fans to picket one of the radio stations - either 680 or 790. Show up wearing Thrashers gear and carrying signs. Alert media (AJC) for coverage.

Our demands will be that they fire those talk radio hosts who are not following local sports, which is their job. Demand to meet with the station manager - (or get on the air!)

Tell them simply -

1) Their job is to follow local sports.
2) We understand when they don't talk about crappy teams - so no-harm, no-foul for years' past.
but
3) This team is SO EXCITING right now, everyone who's watching is talking about them.
4) ERGO - the lack of talk on the radio, is PROOF that these hosts AREN'T WATCHING the games.

If you are all serious about getting a fan movement going I will be more than happy to assist however I can. Members of the fan club have already begun posting Thrashers related messages on the facebook pages of all local media (radio, newspaper, tv). It is a mild start but the more people that get involved in doing it the better. Twitter will be useful if we all come together with identical hashtags and schedule rotating times to hammer twitter. Also, keeping everyone updated invovlved can help create a buzz since many of us are in the blogging community and can write up posts on the fan movement. There is someone creating a group page for this now on facebook. I will post a link when she has it up.

I dislike the local radio blowhards as much as anyone, but they'll be the first to tell
you that their jobs aren't to follow local sports, but to consistently draw ratings.
It's a chicken vs. egg argument, but they don't talk hockey because they say we don't care.
We say we don't call in because they don't talk hockey. By and large, hockey
fans in this town are very quiet. A better approach to getting Thrashers talk on
the radio is to call the stations and ask to talk about it. Kincade is always down
to talk about the team. Start calling his show with regularity, and they'll be forced
to talk about it. I'd avoid the Pollack/Bell show, and Chuck/Chernoff. They're all
dead-set in their ways. Pollack rips hockey whenever he has a chance, but he
really knows dick about anything except UGA football.

Short story long, call the stations and demand to talk about the Thrashers. We
could coordinate a time every day/once a week to bombard their switchboards.
That'd prob'ly work.

Old
12-08-2010, 01:48 PM
laurallf

my first post here - hope it's okay if I jump in with a suggestion!

Don't limit it to just calling the sports stations. I listen to an FM morning show and in the news segments they always announce the scores and upcoming games for Hawks, Falcons, etc, but almost never mention the Thrashers. Every time it happens I call and inform them that hey, the Thrashers won last night too/have a home game this weekend too/had a player named star of the month too/are on a streak too....

The way I figure it, the FM morning drive time shows reach tons of people who probably never listen to sports talk radio. If we can get them to consistently announce the game dates/scores/awards/promotions like they do with Hawks and Falcons, someone may hear it and think "Hmmm, those Thrashers seem to be doing great, I think I'll check out a game"

Old
12-08-2010, 01:56 PM
dj4aces

Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurallf View Post
The way I figure it, the FM morning drive time shows reach tons of people who probably never listen to sports talk radio. If we can get them to consistently announce the game dates/scores/awards/promotions like they do with Hawks and Falcons, someone may hear it and think "Hmmm, those Thrashers seem to be doing great, I think I'll check out a game"
Great idea!

Also, welcome to the forum! Make yourself at home.

We don't bite. We nibble.

Old
12-08-2010, 04:28 PM
Sleazoid
Who needs offense?

Even though I live two hours away from Atlanta, I always am telling my friends about the team, and how they are doing so great this year, usually wear my Thrasher jersey's to town. I try to support them the best I can. I may not go to many games, but I do care about this team! This team is working hard, and they needs fans behind them to push them to keep doing so!

Old
12-08-2010, 05:21 PM
cws
...in the drink

For the online front, Facebook and Twitter are the obvious candidates. That will have to be somebody else's baby though. I know little about Facebook other than to check up on it once a month, and I avoid Twitter like the plague.
(I really brought it strong with that suggestion, huh?)

For targeting websites or groups/forums with a large Gerogia-Atlanta user base, sports releated are again an obvious choice. They're the ones most likely to at least give hockey a chance. Of course, sites with more traffic (sports related or not) should be a target. It shouldn't be all that difficult to find such places. The trick is to approach them in a way that doesn't come off too aggressive/spam-like. Almost a guarantee to tick off a majority of them quickly if we push too hard.
Once we have a few sites that look right, we can work on an approach. But it would definitely help if someone with actual marketing experience would lend a hand. I'd much rather be a bit cautious, take a little time, throw around ideas with someone who has a real clue; than just simply go there with guns blazing.

If we have your website as a base, that should help.

And the idea by laura is a good one. Anytime those stations mention the Thrashers has to help with the audience they have.
I wonder if we could somehow use Shaffee's role as the PA announcer for something on Project 961. Just a thought.

Old
12-08-2010, 06:18 PM
Shameus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws View Post
And the idea by laura is a good one. Anytime those stations mention the Thrashers has to help with the audience they have.
I wonder if we could somehow use Shaffee's role as the PA announcer for something on Project 961. Just a thought.
I thought I read in the AJC where he wasn't doing the morning show on Project anymore?

Old
12-08-2010, 07:15 PM
Georgia Dawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shameus View Post
I thought I read in the AJC where he wasn't doing the morning show on Project anymore?
I think it was his sidekick that is not on the morning show anymore.

Old
12-08-2010, 11:19 PM
cws
...in the drink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Dawg View Post
I think it was his sidekick that is not on the morning show anymore.
Truf.

No idea why though, he did a decent enough job. The new guy, I believe it's Klinger, isn't too bad from what I've heard. Which isn't much, I might listen for 5-10 minutes on the way to work.

Let's just pray they never let the studdering meth-head back on. That was wrong on so many levels, each of them worse than the other.

Not sure if Shaffee was a fan before, or just wanted another gig. Either way, he is the PA voice of the team. Worth looking into if that connection could put the Thrashers name on the air more there.
Hard to say though. Radio PD's can be pretty laid back guys, especially those that double as DJs. Others can just be pieces of S, dictators that don't listen to anyone else until they inevitably get fired at some point.

Old
12-08-2010, 11:56 PM
AintLifeGrand

Another thing we need to do is step our tail gating game up. First off this is the south-we are inherently better at tailgating than anyone else on Earth. We are simply not doing our state justice by neglecting this integral aspect of all sporting events. A proper tailgate only further accentuates the fun of a sporting event by not only lubricating people's already festive spirits, but transforms an everyday Thrashers game into an all day affair. I know it is unrealistic to expect a robust SEC-esque tailgating scene at all games but for big weekend games this is a must.

I know traditionally there has been some tailgating action in The Gulch, but I haven't heard much noise about it lately. What would be ideal is if there was some kind of movement us hardcore fans could start to create a festive pre-game atmosphere.

Old
12-09-2010, 12:12 AM
Stitzel

I feel like this is a good place to dump this story...

I've been a Thrasher fan since the 05-06 season. One of my co-workers (also the only other hockey fan I know down here in Alabama) has been a Preds fan for nearly as long. Much to my disappointment, he wrangled up some tickets and went with his family to see the Detroit-Thrashers game over the Thanksgiving holiday. Note that I live a good 5-6 hours from Atlanta. Being in college and working, I'm lucky to be able to watch a game on TV, much less in person.

Supporting neither team, hoping to simply see a good hockey game, he left with a Thrashers hat and shirt. "The atmosphere" of the arena and the energy of the players converted him.

We're doing something right out there...I plan to go see a game after Christmas (I've never been to an NHL game, just the local SPHL games) and I fully expect that the place will be packed. And I will be accompanied by one of the newer Thrashers fans.

Old
12-09-2010, 12:15 AM
TheUnseenHand
Hashbrown Selfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AintLifeGrand View Post
Another thing we need to do is step our tail gating game up. First off this is the south-we are inherently better at tailgating than anyone else on Earth. We are simply not doing our state justice by neglecting this integral aspect of all sporting events. A proper tailgate only further accentuates the fun of a sporting event by not only lubricating people's already festive spirits, but transforms an everyday Thrashers game into an all day affair. I know it is unrealistic to expect a robust SEC-esque tailgating scene at all games but for big weekend games this is a must.

I know traditionally there has been some tailgating action in The Gulch, but I haven't heard much noise about it lately. What would be ideal is if there was some kind of movement us hardcore fans could start to create a festive pre-game atmosphere.
This is a good suggestion. For weekend games you could even get some street hockey going somewhere around the arena (if there's room for it). Anything to get people to pick up a hockey stick. That's really where it starts. Get a kid, or anyone for that matter, interested in playing hockey and they will become a fan of the game and of the NHL.

Old
12-09-2010, 08:46 AM
ThrasherMinion
Just Chucky

the Thrashers used to sponsor street hockey on gameday along the street between the arena and the Dome. Then they actually moved it inside of the food court at the CNN center. Laid down a plastic playing rink, boards, nets, and scrimmage vests for kids. That was really fun until you got adeflected "twisted wrister" into your Chik-fil-A sandwich!!!

Old
12-09-2010, 03:15 PM
Captain Obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by AintLifeGrand View Post

I agree with this.

Tailgating is also cheaper consumption-wise, as you can BYOB and spare yourself paying too much for stuff in the arena.

Old
12-09-2010, 05:11 PM
TheUnseenHand
Hashbrown Selfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrasherMinion View Post
the Thrashers used to sponsor street hockey on gameday along the street between the arena and the Dome. Then they actually moved it inside of the food court at the CNN center. Laid down a plastic playing rink, boards, nets, and scrimmage vests for kids. That was really fun until you got adeflected "twisted wrister" into your Chik-fil-A sandwich!!!
Chik-fil-A is amazing, FWIW.

What happened to the league? Did they give it up for some reason? I remember back in the day there used to be street hockey going on all around the parking lot of CAA. Haven't seen it at The Rock though. It's a shame. It's always fun to play a bit of street hockey before you go in to watch the NHLers play. Gives you perspective as to how good these guys actually are; which is something people who don't play hockey at all don't have.

Closed Thread