HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Point Blank TV: Brendan Witt

Old
12-09-2010, 08:31 AM
Strummergas

vCash: 500
Gordon having a vendetta against Witt last season has nothing to do with Witt not being in the NHL this season. Brendan currently doesn't have a contract because he did not display that he could play effectively in the NHL anymore. I'm sure if he wanted to play in the AHL or Europe (he said in Botta's interview that he had an offer from the KHL), he could be doing so. But the guy is holding out for a NHL deal though as more time passes, he's less likely to get one. It's sad as I liked him a lot as a player, but it's a fact of life for all players eventually.

And perhaps Gordon did not want anyone on the team that didn't completely buy into his system. This is fine as a team needs to all be on the same page to be successful. But to have a meeting with a player and state that you've got it in for him (if Witt is to be believed. Like Richie said, we've only heard one side of the story) seems to be pretty unprofessional and immature. I'm surprised by as you don't hear about this type of behavior from coaches very often, but based on his very public temper tantrums brought on by his reaction to media criticism, I can defintely see his problem with Witt handled the way Brendan claims.

Although in fairness to Gordon, I must admit that I thought it was great when he stormed out of that interview with that ass Rob Carlin!

Strummergas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 09:42 AM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

Two things:

1) Since we are looking trappier under Crapouano, I wonder if Witt will fit in with this system? (I know he's not coming back, but it is a thought.)

2) I wonder how this info about Flash's personal vandetta will affect his getting a new head-coaching job in the NHL?

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 10:44 AM
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummergas View Post
Gordon having a vendetta against Witt last season has nothing to do with Witt not being in the NHL this season. Brendan currently doesn't have a contract because he did not display that he could play effectively in the NHL anymore.
I agree. I think Witt was pretty much done - regardless of any rift with Gordon. Ideally, this shouldn't make the media, it's unprofessional by Witt and maybe Botta a bit (I know Botta didn't exactly force anything out of Witt, he chose his own words but it doesn't help)

My issue is that Witt had a genuine disagreement about things and Gordon, allegedly, handled it very immaturely. He took things personally. It's the way Snow acts as well - and Wang for that matter.

This is amateur and childish.

redbull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 11:09 AM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
it's unprofessional by Witt and maybe Botta a bit (I know Botta didn't exactly force anything out of Witt, he chose his own words but it doesn't help)
Botta knew this was a loaded gun. He knew what was going to be said. We've seen over the last few weeks that Botta knows how to stir the pot when it comes to the stories he runs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
My issue is that Witt had a genuine disagreement about things and Gordon, allegedly, handled it very immaturely. He took things personally. It's the way Snow acts as well - and Wang for that matter.

This is amateur and childish.
Agreed. If Witt's story has any truth to it, they both acted amateurishly.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 12:41 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
Botta knew this was a loaded gun. He knew what was going to be said. We've seen over the last few weeks that Botta knows how to stir the pot when it comes to the stories he runs.

Agreed. If Witt's story has any truth to it, they both acted amateurishly.
Bottom line: Witt was a bit loud (he's Brendan Witt, and he and others play for the Keystone Cops organization) but proud. Gordon was harsh and ridiculous with his system......it's losing and zero input is welcome.

The coach had the right players for one system but chose the wrong system in the hopes that no one would notice until the right players were brought in: fast scoring threats on the foreward and blue lines.

Witt and others were not happy, since they were asked like so many to not play their game that made them successful in this league, instead changing to suit the idea brought on by a rookie coach (who has since been fired).

Kinda like the run and gun....we had a great season and changed everything for that brainfart.

So who's at fault? management.

Who has been the constant in all the brainfarts? Milbury was fone this time, Snow was not making decisions the last. Nope.

I think we wanted a vewwy exciting game bwought to da fans wif da Iwandews pwaying a dynamic gamewpwan thwoufgout da owganization in aww instances. Who couwda thawt of a pwan wike dat?

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 12:58 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
So who's at fault? management.
That's fine, Witt still handled it (and continues to handle it) like a petulant brat.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 01:34 PM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Quote:
That's fine, Witt still handled it (and continues to handle it) like a petulant brat.
RDC, do you mean that he could have just answered the question without the details and not had told Botta what Gordon had said about him playing in the NHL again?

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 01:52 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Absolutely....but did he handle it better with the primadonna coach long before this, when Guerin and others were starting to chirp? The players were against the system and some got vocal....well, it cane to a head. How much was caused by Gorton?

I don't know, but I have a feeling the organization as a whole has serious issues and our players and others know it. Some just can't keep it pent up, apparently. So I'll side with who was right in the argument.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 06:59 PM
BelovedIsles

Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
I wonder what Gordon's version would sound like...

BelovedIsles is offline   Reply With Quote