HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Heatley's comments in regard to Vokoun

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-09-2005, 10:15 AM
  #51
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Country: Italy
Posts: 23,344
vCash: 500
remember kids, its alright to drive fast and possibly kill someone as long as you apologize to their parents

Joe T Choker is offline  
Old
06-09-2005, 10:27 AM
  #52
Bob Clarke Fan Club
Registered User
 
Bob Clarke Fan Club's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,985
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Strummer
remember kids, its alright to drive fast and possibly kill someone as long as you apologize to their parents


What kid thinks he's ever gonna go to jail Joe? Really, I'm trying to be nice and diplomatic about this but all you can contribute is sarcasm? After starting the thread I'd think you could flash some form of intelligence cause your sarcasm isn't even witty.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline  
Old
06-09-2005, 11:07 AM
  #53
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,151
vCash: 500
PLEASE get this thread back on topic. If you read the title, it's "Heatley's comments in regard to Vokoun," not "Let's take potshots at each other while debating, 'Heatley: cold-blooded killer or just misunderstood.' "

__________________
www.thepredatorial.com

barrytrotzsneck is offline  
Old
06-09-2005, 11:09 AM
  #54
Boilers*
 
Boilers*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,165
vCash: 500
The objectivity in here is amazing. If Heatley was a Predator and Vokoun wasn't I can see the opinions being diametricly opposite. Way too easy to see that.

Boilers* is offline  
Old
06-09-2005, 11:18 AM
  #55
SmokeyClause
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Miami, FL
Country: Cuba
Posts: 9,999
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodsport
The objectivity in here is amazing. If Heatley was a Predator and Vokoun wasn't I can see the opinions being diametricly opposite. Way too easy to see that.
Some will change their opinions at the drop of a hat depending on who's involved. Of course, go check out a thread we had on Lilja a couple of months ago. He received some pretty harsh words despite being a Predator. Ditto Scott Walker and Mark Eaton. We are all homers, and we are more inclined to give the benefit of the doubt to our team and it's players, but your blanket statement isn't any more true here than it would be an any other team board. We may dish out more grief to non-Predators, but Nashville's players hardly get a free pass, as you are insinuating.

What Vokoun said was wrong or, at least, in poor taste. But I can understand why he said it. What Heatley said and did (after the game) was wrong and in poor taste, but that too, I can understand. I think most Predator fans will give you that. What Vokoun did was make a mistake that did little to harm anyone involved. He realized it and apologized almost immediately. Cutting him loose in this instance hardly shows contradiction to our statements on Heatley and his 'accident'.


Last edited by SmokeyClause: 06-09-2005 at 11:24 AM. Reason: tending to grammatical issues
SmokeyClause is offline  
Old
06-09-2005, 11:20 AM
  #56
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,151
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodsport
The objectivity in here is amazing. If Heatley was a Predator and Vokoun wasn't I can see the opinions being diametricly opposite. Way too easy to see that.

Do you EVER post here for any reason other than to troll? If you do, I haven't seen it, and I'm losing patience.

barrytrotzsneck is offline  
Old
06-09-2005, 11:29 AM
  #57
Bob Clarke Fan Club
Registered User
 
Bob Clarke Fan Club's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,985
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
Do you EVER post here for any reason other than to troll? If you do, I haven't seen it, and I'm losing patience.


His comments could hardly be constituted as Trolling...unless there is a history. I was thinking homerism at first also but obviously some people have pretty strong feelings about this subject...not just the words b/w Heatley and Vokoun, but the tragedy in general.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline  
Old
06-09-2005, 11:46 AM
  #58
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,151
vCash: 500
alright, I changed my mind. This thread will remain open for a little while longer...IF the mudslinging ceases. That said...I've given adequate warnings, and so any further "nonsense" will be dealt with. PLEASE keep it on topic and civil.

barrytrotzsneck is offline  
Old
06-09-2005, 12:11 PM
  #59
quartermaster29
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 487
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to quartermaster29
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
PLEASE get this thread back on topic. If you read the title, it's "Heatley's comments in regard to Vokoun," not "Let's take potshots at each other while debating, 'Heatley: cold-blooded killer or just misunderstood.' "
I like to think of him as a misunderstood cold-blooded killer.

Seriously though, my only point (that other's do not seem to understand) is that Heatley was guilty of at the least manslaughter. Could he better serve the community (being a star) by community service in the form of 150 speeches INSTEAD of going to jail for 2 years? Sure. But the truth remains that if Heatley wasn't lucky enough (YES! read on) to have the skill to be a superstar athlete he would have served time in jail instead of doing 150 little talks. Would it be 2 years? Maybe not. An upstanding lad who just made a tragic mistake may have been able to plead out to a smaller charge and gotten something in the manner of months.

And I agree with Smokey in that both of them were wrong for saying what they did and so far only Vokoun has apologized for it.

On the same token: Did Vokoun have to make it a media issue? What each of them said was on the ice and in the heat of the moment. Vokoun tried to take it to Heatley on the ice after the game and Heatley ran off (and I truly cannot blame him for doing that either). So did Vokoun have to go to the media and speak of it?

quartermaster29 is offline  
Old
06-09-2005, 01:02 PM
  #60
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Country: Italy
Posts: 23,344
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by quartermaster29
I like to think of him as a misunderstood cold-blooded killer.

Seriously though, my only point (that other's do not seem to understand) is that Heatley was guilty of at the least manslaughter. Could he better serve the community (being a star) by community service in the form of 150 speeches INSTEAD of going to jail for 2 years? Sure. But the truth remains that if Heatley wasn't lucky enough (YES! read on) to have the skill to be a superstar athlete he would have served time in jail instead of doing 150 little talks. Would it be 2 years? Maybe not. An upstanding lad who just made a tragic mistake may have been able to plead out to a smaller charge and gotten something in the manner of months.

And I agree with Smokey in that both of them were wrong for saying what they did and so far only Vokoun has apologized for it.

On the same token: Did Vokoun have to make it a media issue? What each of them said was on the ice and in the heat of the moment. Vokoun tried to take it to Heatley on the ice after the game and Heatley ran off (and I truly cannot blame him for doing that either). So did Vokoun have to go to the media and speak of it?
it would just be like some French, German or Russian calling us (Americans) a ******* American

What would you do if you were Vokoun and a felon called you a ******* Czech, try to ask why you do something like that and he runs off, I think Heatley was fair game for the media


Last edited by Joe T Choker: 06-09-2005 at 01:24 PM.
Joe T Choker is offline  
Old
06-09-2005, 01:28 PM
  #61
Bob Clarke Fan Club
Registered User
 
Bob Clarke Fan Club's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,985
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by quartermaster29
I like to think of him as a misunderstood cold-blooded killer.

Seriously though, my only point (that other's do not seem to understand) is that Heatley was guilty of at the least manslaughter. Could he better serve the community (being a star) by community service in the form of 150 speeches INSTEAD of going to jail for 2 years? Sure. But the truth remains that if Heatley wasn't lucky enough (YES! read on) to have the skill to be a superstar athlete he would have served time in jail instead of doing 150 little talks. Would it be 2 years? Maybe not. An upstanding lad who just made a tragic mistake may have been able to plead out to a smaller charge and gotten something in the manner of months.

And I agree with Smokey in that both of them were wrong for saying what they did and so far only Vokoun has apologized for it.

On the same token: Did Vokoun have to make it a media issue? What each of them said was on the ice and in the heat of the moment. Vokoun tried to take it to Heatley on the ice after the game and Heatley ran off (and I truly cannot blame him for doing that either). So did Vokoun have to go to the media and speak of it?




Was it not pleading out that got him no jail time?? I think both players comments would have come out regardless...something of this nature usually does. Obviously one set of comments was a little more personal than the other but at least Vokoun realized it when the heat of battle wore down. He handled the after effects professionaly, to say the least.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline  
Old
06-09-2005, 01:30 PM
  #62
Bob Clarke Fan Club
Registered User
 
Bob Clarke Fan Club's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,985
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Strummer
it would just be like some French, German or Russian calling us (Americans) a ******* American

What would you do if you were Vokoun and a felon called you a ******* Czech, try to ask why you do something like that and he runs off, I think Heatley was fair game for the media


so, are you saying that Vokoun's comments were justified?

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline  
Old
06-09-2005, 01:33 PM
  #63
SmokeyClause
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Miami, FL
Country: Cuba
Posts: 9,999
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club
I think both players comments would have come out regardless...something of this nature usually does. Obviously one set of comments was a little more personal than the other but at least Vokoun realized it when the heat of battle wore down. He handled the after effects professionaly, to say the least.
I agree. The media needs little coaxing when it comes to drumming up stories such as this. They don't sit idly by and wait for those involved to tell their story; they go right after them with questions in hopes of finding the truth first. I don't think Vokoun was seeking media attention. I think word likely leaked to media members about the incident, and they went and questioned Vokoun. He may have been trying to defend himself in the wake of an embarrassing debacle. How Vokoun has handle all the post-incident situations is, in my mind, the way to do it. He felt bad, apologized, and answered the media's questions. He's a hot-headed guy who likes to and does mix it up frequently. Hopefully in the future, he'll hold his tongue a little harder for a little longer.

SmokeyClause is offline  
Old
06-09-2005, 01:33 PM
  #64
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Country: Italy
Posts: 23,344
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club
so, are you saying that Vokoun's comments were justified?
yup (heat of the moment) and then he apologized (I wouldn't have apologized, until Heatley at least tried to apologize for disparraging me and my nationality)

Joe T Choker is offline  
Old
06-09-2005, 01:37 PM
  #65
SmokeyClause
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Miami, FL
Country: Cuba
Posts: 9,999
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club
so, are you saying that Vokoun's comments were justified?
I, personally, wouldn't justify the comments. But I would rationalize them within the context of the moment. Like I mentioned in one of the first posts of the thread, Vokoun was irate at Heatley for attacking one of his players. The tensions are high for both in a hard-fought game. Vokoun probably said what came to his mind first, which is something that often happens when you are out on the ice and the juices are flowing. Unfortunately, the part of your brain that analyzes what you are going to say before you say it takes a diminished role. I'm confident that's why Vokoun said it, and I wouldn't be suprised if someone else says it in the future. It doesn't justify it though.

SmokeyClause is offline  
Old
06-09-2005, 01:53 PM
  #66
Bob Clarke Fan Club
Registered User
 
Bob Clarke Fan Club's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,985
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Strummer
yup (heat of the moment) and then he apologized (I wouldn't have apologized, until Heatley at least tried to apologize for disparraging me and my nationality)


Well, considering Vokoun apologized, One would get the indication that he thought he crossed the line...you seriously don't see that? You're incredibly Patriotic and a tad blinded by your hate for Heatley.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline  
Old
06-09-2005, 01:58 PM
  #67
Bob Clarke Fan Club
Registered User
 
Bob Clarke Fan Club's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,985
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
I, personally, wouldn't justify the comments. But I would rationalize them within the context of the moment. Like I mentioned in one of the first posts of the thread, Vokoun was irate at Heatley for attacking one of his players. The tensions are high for both in a hard-fought game. Vokoun probably said what came to his mind first, which is something that often happens when you are out on the ice and the juices are flowing. Unfortunately, the part of your brain that analyzes what you are going to say before you say it takes a diminished role. I'm confident that's why Vokoun said it, and I wouldn't be suprised if someone else says it in the future. It doesn't justify it though.

Well said SC, I'm gonna leave your board and discussion on that note. It's a good debate folks, hope I didn't offend anyone...but Smokey sums it up pretty well.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline  
Old
06-09-2005, 11:51 PM
  #68
Enoch
This is my boomstick
 
Enoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Chattanooga TN
Country: United States
Posts: 12,514
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by quartermaster29
I like to think of him as a misunderstood cold-blooded killer.

Seriously though, my only point (that other's do not seem to understand) is that Heatley was guilty of at the least manslaughter. Could he better serve the community (being a star) by community service in the form of 150 speeches INSTEAD of going to jail for 2 years? Sure. But the truth remains that if Heatley wasn't lucky enough (YES! read on) to have the skill to be a superstar athlete he would have served time in jail instead of doing 150 little talks. Would it be 2 years? Maybe not. An upstanding lad who just made a tragic mistake may have been able to plead out to a smaller charge and gotten something in the manner of months.

And I agree with Smokey in that both of them were wrong for saying what they did and so far only Vokoun has apologized for it.

On the same token: Did Vokoun have to make it a media issue? What each of them said was on the ice and in the heat of the moment. Vokoun tried to take it to Heatley on the ice after the game and Heatley ran off (and I truly cannot blame him for doing that either). So did Vokoun have to go to the media and speak of it?
I pretty much agree completely with what you said.

----

I think the reason he responded to the media is because he was probably asked what happened. At the time a big deal was made out of him going over to the opposing coach etc., and rumors were flying. The most likely reason he said it is that a reporter asked him to explain what happened or why he apologized...

__________________
- Enoch -
Enoch is offline  
Old
06-10-2005, 08:31 AM
  #69
quartermaster29
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 487
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to quartermaster29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Strummer
it would just be like some French, German or Russian calling us (Americans) a ******* American

What would you do if you were Vokoun and a felon called you a ******* Czech, try to ask why you do something like that and he runs off, I think Heatley was fair game for the media
Not disagreeing with how either man acted during the game. After trying to go to Heatley, he should have either passed on his apology through the team or try and find Heatley later. Going to the media, whether he intended this or not, only rubbed salt in the wound he already inflicted. Like kicking a man when he was down. It's my opinion that, due to Heatley's own personality and feelings about what happened, that Vokouns ingame comments were far more hurtful than an f-bomb nationality could ever do. Truly. Yes. I am an $%&#&@% American, and $@&% proud of it.

Vokoun didn't have to take it to the media. But he's Vokoun... the one who mouthed off about the Wings. I couldn't have imagined him not going to the media. But that's done and over and I feel that Heatley (nor his friends?) will ever forgive or forget it. It should make future Atlanta v. Nashville games interesting to say the least.

quartermaster29 is offline  
Old
06-10-2005, 08:35 AM
  #70
quartermaster29
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 487
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to quartermaster29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club
Was it not pleading out that got him no jail time?? I think both players comments would have come out regardless...something of this nature usually does. Obviously one set of comments was a little more personal than the other but at least Vokoun realized it when the heat of battle wore down. He handled the after effects professionaly, to say the least.
I guess I understand what you mean. I am coming from the frame of mind that Vokoun voluntarily gave up that information... maybe the media got wind of it and asked him point blank. From that POV I can honestly agree that he was professional about it.

quartermaster29 is offline  
Old
06-10-2005, 09:30 AM
  #71
Mat
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Magnetomountaineer
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 2,054
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Mat Send a message via MSN to Mat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club
so, are you saying that Vokoun's comments were justified?
you're forgetting that he was subsequently speared by heatley, and he said it in retaliation to being called a "****ing czech"

so yeah, it was justified as hell

Mat is offline  
Old
06-10-2005, 09:49 AM
  #72
Bob Clarke Fan Club
Registered User
 
Bob Clarke Fan Club's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,985
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat
you're forgetting that he was subsequently speared by heatley, and he said it in retaliation to being called a "****ing czech"

so yeah, it was justified as hell



He's virtually bulletproof in that gear so I really don't think the Spear was anything more than a shot to his pride. As far as the comments go by Heatley, not very classy but by no means as grossly hurtful as Vokouns. I like the way Smokey answered my question...rationalize the comments but not justify them. I know I don't justify Dany's comments because they were wrong. Plain and simple. Didn't your parents ever teach you that 2 wrongs don't make a right??

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline  
Old
06-10-2005, 10:01 AM
  #73
Boilers*
 
Boilers*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,165
vCash: 500
This whole scene is overblown. The final seconds of the game tick down in front of the net and I don't care which two countries are battling it out, or even which players are involved something's bound to happen. These guys are ultra-competitive, they don't just turn that sort of thing off at the flip of a switch. What did we expect would happen when national pride is riding on the line? I hold no one to blame since no one really got hurt here, when emotions take over common sense usually takes a back door and high tails it out of there. I'm sure the players involved have already forgotten, or at least would like to forget the incident. So should we.

Boilers* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:01 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.